• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Your ideal day

jon1234

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:30 AM
-->
mapping your ideal life.

im currently very much in a job opposed to a career.

its something i do because i can work from home, although its not very rewarding and its been made clear to me that my career will not progress within the corporate framework.

Which is ok by me because I have a fairly low opinion of the corporation and its culture and the means by which its employees progress in the heirarchy.

i've been there 5 years which is as long as I've held down a job, I'm 35 and with 2 young kids so really i have accepted the stagnation as a price to be able to spend alot of time with them in their early years. However this won't last forever, once they start school perhaps in 2 or 3 years I'll find myself back at square one.

now the challenge that I and probably pretty much everyone faces is finding this balance between what they are prepared to do as a job and fulfilling their own sense of purpose or meaning.

So far I've worked only within IT as thats my degree and although I'm fairly competent I can't say that if I won the lottery for example I would continue working in IT. I'm commencing a kind of negotiation with myself to find the career or life that i would find acceptable. One technique that I'm trying is the process of mapping an ideal life. What would I do in my ideal day? What would I find fulfilling? I wonder if many other INTPs have tried this technique and with what result.

If we were true to type i suppose it would be something like dream up perfect meticulous systems. Or design grand and complex theoretical frameworks. I'm not sure really perhaps I'm throwing too much on the MBTI.

Thoughts from others diagnosed as INTP ?

Cogitant

Fiducial Observer
Local time
-->
Hey, and welcome, I notice this is your #1 post.
Thoughts from others diagnosed as INTP ?

-You make it sound like a disease 0.o

Anyhow, if you studied IT, you might be interested in pursuing a computer science/AI career or perhaps going back to uni in that field.

For your potential interest:
My brother is an AI specializing software developer.
He's had a hand in developing all manner of things from Oculus Rift software to hospital scanners, and he's working on a new intelligent (4+D) UI system for his latest work assignment right now.
+He's actually asked me for ideas for that latest project.
+I can explain him more, such as his research areas (flocking/routing/neural-networks/Darwinian systems), what kind of work he does and expand on the project if needed.

AI is where it's at for sure, and he knows it. It's at the cutting edge of most sciences as a matter of fact.
+You could be cutting that edge yourself, which would essentially mean working to further technology rather than simply working for a boss/corporation.

About my own, far less interesting situation:
-I studied architecture years ago, but for a few reasons, never completed the training, and experienced a major 'crash'.
-I've had many unexciting jobs since.
I'm not a people person, so most were torturous, although I did work for a jeweller at one point, and learned a massive amount about grading gemstones and metalworking.

I’m not a planner, though (brother is).
-Planning simply doesn’t work for me, to the frustration of all ;D
I can say that, as far as I’m concerned at least, life is to be enjoyed.

Right now, I’m not working, but I’m planning to change my life around (it's never too late to do that), and hope to start an MRes course in the near(ish) future.
It’s a bother, however, since I’ll have to move 322 miles to study.
I’m living minimally, yet running myself into debt meanwhile, and may have to start a job-I-hate soon.

The past few days have been spent...
Trolling half-baked questions on Quora, reading some science news, writing and editing my projects, and watching Cowboy Bebop (doing that as I type)

;)

jon1234

Redshirt
Local time
-->
hey, thanks for the reply.. would you say the last few days were your ideal days though? For example if you won the lottery or were free to pursue your own interests totally?

perhaps not fitting into the INTP mould i've never really been interested in pursuing software development / programming. My job is more app support so i work with the programmers basically logging bugs for developers I find it fairly boring as its basically just showing them their program doesnt work right.

AI surely seems like a boundless subject one could disappear into if so inclined, it just doesn't pique my curiousity at present although I havent really looked into it. My hobbies are making music with computers, reading i get through quite a few books, ive been trying to DIY fix some of my old synthesizers. My ideal day would certainly involve making music. I also like to lift weights to help me relax, its good for getting me out of my own head and calms me down. So I suppose i would include that too. I'm trying to stop using drinking as a means to relax. Those are more on the hobby side of things. Ive had more jobs than hot dinners in the past try to think of one that i truly enjoyed is a struggle.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
my ideal weekend would be:

- morning: write a super cool song, maybe record it, or just do random adobe stuff, collages, animation, whatever graphic thing. Eat some nice food from my dad or my mom but if it wasn't possible find something interesting somewhere, play some cool videogame.
.at evening hang out with some Friends, go for beers, party if posible, something cool, like a concert, get tipsy a bit, thrills! magical things happening! THE UNKNOWN.
- then around 2 am or 3 meet my gf, have sex with the woman i love, watch series and sleep with her, then she stays next day, we order pizza, we watch movies, we have sex, we touch each other faces haha and we both leave for reality monday morning.

AMAZING.

That was the kind of life i was having past 2 years (overall haha). Since january just boredom.

Cogitant

Fiducial Observer
Local time
-->
hey, thanks for the reply.. would you say the last few days were your ideal days though? For example if you won the lottery or were free to pursue your own interests totally?

I really wouldn't like to speculate where a large windfall of money would put me.
Suppose I'd like to visit Tibet and/or Peru (the thought of getting lost in panoramic and literally breathtaking mountains of cultural, geological, biological and historical significance certainly appeals).

-My main interest right now is my creative writing. However, money can't buy inspiration, nor the ability to formulate perfect, profound sentences >.<

perhaps not fitting into the INTP mould i've never really been interested in pursuing software development / programming.

Brother I mentioned is INTJ ;)

My hobbies are making music with computers
I have Fruity Loops, have been known to spend hours/days of my life making electronic music. Music is healthy for the mind imo.

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
-->
I lost many hours of my life in Fruity Loops Studio. I tried playing a guitar, but I couldn't get the hang of it. Making electronic music was more fun, though.

Generally speaking, any day where I get to experience or create something new is pretty good.

I think the last time I counted it as an ideal day, I got up on a Saturday, gave both my daughter's lovely hair styles and then took all three out somewhere fun. I got back in time to switch my Pi Bot on and wire in the eye sensors (which worked great), then got my home gym out and did a lovely work out before a shower, and after putting the kids to bed settled down with a movie and drink all alone. That was a nice day.

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
Today 4:30 AM
-->
Nice how this thread it's going XD

My ideal day?

Get up early, it works for me o-O
Eating something sweet for breakfast, maybe watch some old movie when everybody is sleeping, then put some nice background music loud (and I mean Iron Maiden / Helloween, yeah!)
Playing videogames for about 5 hours or so after that (my bad XD)
Probably play some guitar for a while and maybe record a little
Eat a lot of junk food for lunch :D (it's expensive normally, so don't think I do that always)
Read about something interesting and maybe doing some math or physics
Go back to videogames
Sleep early
Repeat

:D:D:D

Top Bottom