• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

you obtain a time machine. what do?

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 2:53 AM
-->
1. Use time machine to exist outside the timeline, gather enough information esp. the rules of the Universe, cut my own causality to become an alien paradox in this universe, and reach apotheosis (become god).

2. Research how to solve the problem of entropy. It may take me an eternity to do so but I exist outside time anyways so I have plenty of time to do so. After solving the issue, dub the discovery as "magic".

3. Go back to the origin of the Universe and introduce "magic" as the fifth fundamental force.

4. Watch how intelligent lifeforms enjoy themselves.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 9:53 PM
-->
So entertaining, yet thrown in solitude... Unless you insert yourself back into the universe as an immortal. Your idea is enticing.
You distract me from my education.
Kudos.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
So entertaining, yet thrown in solitude... Unless you insert yourself back into the universe as an immortal. Your idea is enticing.
You distract me from my education.
Kudos.

Thanks! Yeah, I might reincarnate a piece of me as a im/mortal and lead worthy souls to another timeless sub-dimension. Wait... what if someone else has already beat me to it? :eek:

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
Today 7:53 PM
-->
I would try to back in time as far as I would and see what was before the beggining of universe.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
Theoretically you and your time machine will not exist if you go before the beginning of the universe, becuase time only started existing when the universe started existing.
An elegant suicide, mind you.

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
-->
Theoretically you and your time machine will not exist if you go before the beginning of the universe, becuase time only started existing when the universe started existing.
An elegant suicide, mind you.

my idea is as irrational as this topic

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I would go to the Second Punic War and I would win against the Romans being an aide to Hannibal.

I would enjoy a world ruled by the descendants of Phoenicians.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
True enough. Excuse my theoretical-funspoilingness.

It would be immensely interesting to see how our universe came into existence, even if it does not seem possible.
Perhaps, if parallel universes where to exist, one could at least transverse between them , studying them, and find a universal theory of existence?
My mind wanders.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 2:53 PM
-->
I'm the proud owner of a time machine. Don't think it will last until the next century. Battery will run down. Wear it on my wrist. Don't think my wrist will last either.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
True enough. Excuse my theoretical-funspoilingness.

It would be immensely interesting to see how our universe came into existence, even if it does not seem possible.
Perhaps, if parallel universes where to exist, one could at least transverse between them , studying them, and find a universal theory of existence?
My mind wanders.
If you have a time machine, then parallel universes have to exist.

Because with each change you recreate the universe.

You could for example clone Einstein and throw him to the primordial bubble when the universe had the size of the peanut, it would greatly change the "landscape" of stars and galaxies.

Nebula

floating in space
Local time
-->
I visit the 31st century and if I like it there enough, I stay. I could be a history teacher :^^:

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
If it were just a time machine, it would be of little use to anyone.

People seem to forget that we are moving through space constantly. If you went just 10 minutes back or forth through time, you'd be hopelessly stuck in space.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
Can said time machine transport large organisms other than myself? I'm thinking of trolling potential.

For example: wife opens curtains in the morning - BOOM! Surprise Brontosaurus.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
If it were just a time machine, it would be of little use to anyone.

People seem to forget that we are moving through space constantly. If you went just 10 minutes back or forth through time, you'd be hopelessly stuck in space.
We are moving through space-time, not simply space.

If you would enter a machine in the earth's gravitational field, you would stay in that field, only moving in one of 4 possible directions (3 spacial, 1 temporal)

That gravitational interaction stays for milions of years as the earth is roughly the same.

Another thing is that you retain the momentum, so you would have the same velocity and vector movement as earth unless something stopped you.

The Void

Banned
Local time
-->
Go kill myself in past and observe what happens.
If I get back in time with my memories of the present then technically I am not moving backward
in time.....

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Can said time machine transport large organisms other than myself? I'm thinking of trolling potential.

For example: wife opens curtains in the morning - BOOM! Surprise Brontosaurus.

Why surprise her with a Brontosaurus when you can surprise her with Brontosaurie?

Variform

Banned
Local time
-->
No killing hitler

I have been thinking about it.

I would go back to my own childhood. Tell myself how bitter tears of regret are at the halfway mark of life. Not sure if this would cause riplles in the temporal continuum or what have you.

If I could, I'd merge myself into the mind of who I was back then. With all the knowledge and understanding I have now I would benefit from it and avoid the mistakes I made and the lame paths I followed.

It would mean I cease to exist. But that's okay. I have always believed that one should not be egotistical about oneself. Why would I compete with myself?

I think a Dr. Who episode was about this, last season?

I would not begrudge myself in the past. I don't want to be a temporal egomaniac.

Yeah. I'd merge with myself, although that might be a different technology.

I wonder if it is possible to connect to your former self. After all, I am the same person, so why can I not link up to the past? This problem annoys me.

I have thought about what it would be like to be my age when I was, say, 14. I had no true concept of it. But I have now. Why can't I send this information back to myself in time? My brain is the same brain, my consciousness was the same.

Yes I have 'grown' what ever that means. Fundamentally I am the same person. Consciousness is a non-temporal phenomenon. I should be able to access myself in the past, why can I not?

Variform

Banned
Local time
-->
I visit the 31st century and if I like it there enough, I stay. I could be a history teacher :^^:

I don't think there will be a 31st century. Do you see culture as we know it progress as it does?

We might not make it past 2100.

Nebula

floating in space
Local time
-->
That's not a problem, I'd be happy to spend some time in nature too :p

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I'd go back a few decades, find me and ask, "Do you believe I'm your future self?" If I answer no, I'd offer myself proof and ask, what do you want to know? If I get a snide reply, I'd kick my ass around the block for muffing an opportunity.

Spirit

ISTP Preference
Local time
Today 12:53 PM
-->
Go back in time and tell Carl Jung that Myers and Briggs butchered his hypothesis.

... and tell George Lucas to start with Anakin's back story first.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 1:53 PM
-->
Can the time machine transport you to different places as well? What I would do is make a plan to visit various places in time evenly dispersed in regular intervals. End up spending the majority of my time in one time that I find interesting. Realize I am spending too much time in that time and end up spending not enough time in other various times. End up going back to my favorite time (this may have changed by now) and end up dying there. I would periodically go back to present time to visit with my family. I would also probably really like to visit the future and there is a good chance that is where I would end up dying there.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Go back in time and tell Carl Jung that Myers and Briggs butchered his hypothesis.
Carl here. What the heck. Someone with the ridiculous name of BAP came back here and told me the effin future. I say Myers and Briggs should be damned grateful. I'm sending this message back to you. I hope you get it. You'd better believe it. Tell Freud's descendants I'm sorry but I had to kick his ass. Don't forget my archetypes.

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
Today 6:53 PM
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,
i would also like to go forward and pinpoint the moment the last human (or human decendant though i doubt we'll get that far) dies, etch it into a slab of carbon fiber and leave it in someones tomb, or maybe a pyramid.

Top Bottom