• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

You know you're an Intp when...

bdubs

Local time
Today 12:15 AM
-->
While showering you lose yourself in something you were thinking about. Once you return to what you were doing you realize you do not remember if you already used shampoo/soap/ect and end up repeating the whole shower cycle just to make sure.

Cobra

Local time
Yesterday 11:15 PM
-->
- you have a Sam & Max quote in your sig.

- you have a Josh & S.A.M. quote in your sig.

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
-->
"You've contemplated suicide, yet you still want to be immortal."

lmao this is pretty good

zephryi

Local time
-->
While showering you lose yourself in something you were thinking about. Once you return to what you were doing you realize you do not remember if you already used shampoo/soap/ect and end up repeating the whole shower cycle just to make sure.

I must say this is about perfect. If I try to deviate at all from standard routine, I'll end up forgetting and actually forgetting to shampoo my hair first or something because I was too busy thinking. @___@

naberus

Local time
Today 2:15 PM
-->
When someone says to you "you can't knock that down, it's a supporting wall", and your response is "sure I can, but I'll do it after lunch".

Artifice Orisit

You walk from one room to another, forgetting on the way what your purpose was for going there in the first place.

It can take ages to sort through all your thoughts and eventually find whatever word or memory you were looking for.

You've asked people to wait while you search; extra points if you stand perfectly still...
even more if you hum whilst doing it.

Edit: You can sit on the toilet for ten minutes before remembering what you're there for, then ten more minutes before you realise you're finished.

zephryi

Local time
-->
You walk from one room to another, forgetting on the way what your purpose was for going there in the first place.

+You return to the original room and continue your task, find another reason to return to the other room, then leave it either 1. fulfilling the latter goal but not remembering the former or 2. Switch goals and end up going back again

You've asked people to wait while you search; extra points if you stand perfectly still...
even more if you hum whilst doing it.

+The other person starts humming... the Jeopardy theme song

-One of your major motivations for wanting to be immortal is that the idea of dying and not being able to learn what scientists will discover in the future is horrifying

Last edited:

Anling

Local time
Yesterday 10:15 PM
-->

I do that!

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 6:15 AM
-->

It can take ages to sort through all your thoughts and eventually find whatever word or memory you were looking for.

So true.

The Fury

is licking himself.
Local time
Today 5:15 AM
-->
When you get drunk, beat up your wife and then get into a fight with your son. Oh wait, this is the "You know you're an INTP when" thread. I thought it was the "You know you're Irish when" thread.

Artifice Orisit

Chuckie Allah! (was that right?)
...or are you the other type of Irish?

Cobra

Local time
-->
He's the kind minus the explosives, I think.

"I'm staying at a B&B in... Dun-laow-gaharry?"
"Dunlaowgaharry...(?) You mean Dunlaoghaire."
"*gasp* Noo... *lol*"

P.S. I hate you. *vomit*

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
-->
- When you read a thread, walk away, think of a response, and then come back and type it.

- When you occasionally experience the revelation that you are in fact a person with a name and identity.

merzbau

Local time
Today 2:15 PM
-->
- someone points out a flaw in your logic, and you shrug it off. then, when you're alone, you wear a hole in your brain vexing over whether they're right.

- when conversing with another intp you haven't seen for years, you jump straight into the aquatic ape theory or various theological conundrums before you ask how they've been.

- people call you a cynic, and you reply that you're realistic.

- you hate superficial people, yet you pretend better than they do.

- you get angry with the problems of the world, and wish you could change things. but if you were ever actually in a position to do anything, you'd be helpless, because you wouldn't be able to make choices for other people.

- you like being invited to join parties.. but you can't stand being amongst people.

Sugarpop

accepts advice on his English
Local time
-->
- When you occasionally experience the revelation that you are in fact a person with a name and identity.

- This freaks you out, and you realize that your name is just a word to you, something conveniently used to refer to you rather than a part of your Self.

- You fluctuate between getting your act together and acting random. You simultaneously need to create structure and do random stuff.

Artifice Orisit

-You can be incredibly astute, but the timing is never convenient.

-The existence of time lords in reality seems perfectly sensible to you.

-At least once you've gone to work/school with "just-woken-up" hair without realising it.

-You're constantly at war with an inner nemesis that incessantly contradicts you.

-You've studied what it looks like if you stare at the inside of your own eyelids.

-There are a few words in your vocabulary that you don't know the meaning of, but you have used in conversation, then had to look them up.
e.g. Edification, which I used during a game of poker, in the right context amazingly.

-When taking a well travelled path it's not uncommon to conclude the end of your journey by wondering just how exactly you got there, having been thinking about other things the entire way.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 5:15 PM
-->
I spend all day every day with "just-woken-up hair" :D

...and my inner nemesis knows me better than I do...

Sugarpop

Local time
-->
- Your response to someone pointing out that a leg of your pants is stuck in your sock - which you never notice by yourself - is to tug the other leg into the other sock.

- Smalltalk not only bores you, you find it downright insulting at times.

Artifice Orisit

-You're a raging megalomaniac, yet you have a humble self perspective.

-If ever your motivations are questioned you simply reply "science".

-If ever your intentions are questioned you simply reply "I dunno".

-You dislike shaking hands with people, because you suspect they are unclean.

-You only ever tell the truth, until such time as a single lie can cause the most chaos.

-If told a joke you will not laugh, if told not to laugh you will laugh yourself silly.

-If asked for directions you'll point in any random direction, just so they'll go away.

Cobra

Local time
-->
-You've studied what it looks like if you stare at the inside of your own eyelids.
- you remember how fun this was when you last tried it, so you close your eyes and do it again after reading it.

For some reason that one reminds me of They Might Be Giants videos.

-There are a few words in your vocabulary that you don't know the meaning of, but you have used in conversation, then had to look them up.
e.g. Edification, which I used during a game of poker, in the right context amazingly.
Hahahahahaha. I love it. I don't know how many times that happened to me in college while writing papers.

- you've easily received A's or B's by bull shitting your way through an essay.

- Your response to someone pointing out that a leg of your pants is stuck in your sock - which you never notice by yourself - is to tug the other leg into the other sock.

- Smalltalk not only bores you, you find it downright insulting at times.
First one had me rolling on the floor. What a way to start my day.

Second one I found to be very true in almost every situation including ones involving my own mother.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Yesterday 9:15 PM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena

-If ever your motivations are questioned you simply reply "science".

-If ever your intentions are questioned you simply reply "I dunno".

-You dislike shaking hands with people, because you suspect they are unclean.

-You only ever tell the truth, until such time as a single lie can cause the most chaos.

-If told a joke you will not laugh, if told not to laugh you will laugh yourself silly.

-If asked for directions you'll point in any random direction, just so they'll go away.

Agh! Stop invading my brain!!

bdubs

Local time
-->
I am trying to remember where I have seen that picture you are using for your avatar cognisant. It looks similar to the zero wing "all your base" character.

On topic:

-You have been known to skip meals when you have just begun a new project.

-You have worked on said project by daylight, but failed to notice that you were working in the dark after the sun had set until a friend/ family member inquired to why you would be working in the dark.

zephryi

Local time
-->
-You have worked on said project by daylight, but failed to notice that you were working in the dark after the sun had set until a friend/ family member inquired to why you would be working in the dark.

At 1:00 pm: "Oh, lookit! This is a fascinating story idea! I'm gonna do profiles and pictures, oh and connect in MBTI and throw in this and..."

Two profiles and many pictures later...

"Wow... I think I'm done for now... Oh, damn- when did the streetlights come on?"

So many times...

- you've easily received A's or B's by bull shitting your way through an essay.

This is the greatest and most annoying skill in high school. It's great to be able to throw a project together on the day of, but when I get a project back that is composed of drawings and poems I did during classes on the due date and an essay I wrote last minute the night before with an 88%, I can't trust the teacher anymore. -____-

Eh, nothing else to add, but all the items are scarily accurate. @____@

Deleted member 1424

:D So true

thetourist74

Redshirt
Local time
-->
If you have trouble falling asleep at night because you can't stop thinking.

This thread describes me so well. It's completely freaking me out right now.

Sugarpop

Local time
-->
- You like the concept of going out and having great, stimulating and educational experiences, but the planning and potentially social aspects of this limits your habitat to your home office and/or parents' cellar.

- You incessantly try to convince everyone that your voice is terrible and that everybody else has a magnificent voice.

Last edited by a moderator:

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
-->
- when you absolutely HATE people looking over your shoulder. especially when they voice an opinion on what you are doing

Deleted member 1424

You hate going to the supermarket, especially the day before a holiday.

When you read that the ESFJ and ENFJ were the ideal mates for an INTP you shuddered.

You will walk around outside in the middle of the night, completely carefree.

You hate deadlines with a passion.

You hate kiss-ups.

Your easy to sneak up on.

You think formalities and backwards traditions are stupid.

People frequently address you by name and you haven't the slightest clue who they are.

You'd rather be alone in a huge crowd than at a social function with people you vaguely know, but are annoyingly friendly (ie church potluck).

Deleted member 1424

I know most profiles say that, but the link I connected to on the post said ESFJ and ENFJ.

"Mates

Why would this abstractionist find the ESFJ "seller" attractive? Think broadly of selling. This amounts to persuading another to receive something of value to the receiver. The seller is essentially caring for the receiver (quite apart from the fact that the receiver pays). This is the essential attitude of the ESFJ seller, and this attitude is perceptible to the receiver (buyer); he feels this nourishing approach. That is what is attractive to the INTP architect-philosopher-the nourishment which anchors him to the real world.

What attracts the ESFJ "seller"? Here is a person who, like a balloon filled with hydrogen, is likely to escape the earth (in his abstract attitude). He needs to have a string attached so that he can be hauled down to earth now and then. In a sense, he needs to be "sold on reality," so indifferent is he to it.

The INTP also has a second likely target to attract him: the ENFJ "pedagogue." What is a pedagogue? A catalyst of the growth process, someone who has that uncanny ability to "bring out" the other, to activate the differentiation or "unfolding" process in the learner. All NFs seem to have this capability in some degree and the accompanying desire to exercise it, but the ENFJ seems to have it in abundance. This relationship-the ENFJ-INTP-can be "deep and meaningful" for the former and anchoring in a charismatic way for the latter."

ENTJs and ESTJs are not shudder worthy, but I'm still wary of Js.

Anling

Local time
Yesterday 10:15 PM
-->

Artifice Orisit

I am trying to remember where I have seen that picture you are using for your avatar cognisant. It looks similar to the zero wing "all your base" character.
Correct, but it has evolved into a Sephiroth-cyborg hybrid.

-You think Cognisant is awesome.

-You can appreciate that playing at being narcissist is funny.

-You think do-gooders are insulting.

-If given the choice you would pick the red pill, and keep the blue one for later.

-You consider chocolate a means for positively influencing people’s brain chemistry.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
I wanted to punch him in the face the whole movie, and then throw him under the microbus, then drink his milkshake and then beat him to death with a bowling pin. I didn't like him.

a touch of projection possibly? ;) perhaps the E in you reacting to the I?

289.01 when your boyfriend is surprisingly ungrateful for your detailed analysis of his life.

289.02 when you told people you were adopted when you weren't.

thebarran

Local time
-->
Havent read this thread yet but wanna post my thoughts before i forget them.

when your rude / condescending or other such similar and mean no harm by it (and also 9 times out of 10 oblivious to the fact you are)

truthseeker72

Local time
-->
a touch of projection possibly? ;) perhaps the E in you reacting to the I?

289.01 when your boyfriend is surprisingly ungrateful for your detailed analysis of his life.

289.02 when you told people you were adopted when you weren't.

289.03 when you're surprised at your girlfriend's indifference/annoyance towards your detailed analyis (doesn't everybody enjoy analysis?)

289.04 when you wonder why 90% of the population gets excited over seemingly trivial events, while they implore you to "cheer up" or "get off your high horse."

289.05 when you experience something close to ecstacy whenever someone else observes something else you've noticed.

Sugarpop

Local time
-->
Second one I found to be very true in almost every situation including ones involving my own mother.

Did it ever feel like dinner was a clever trap set by her to interrogate you about your day?

Cobra

Local time
-->
Did it ever feel like dinner was a clever trap set by her to interrogate you about your day?
!!!! Yes!!!!

I stopped eating pork because of her!!! It started to feel like Ludovico.

oskermire

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:15 PM
-->
#?. when this is only your third post because you've spent the whole time since you've joined lurking through the site and figuring that maybe someone else has articulated what you wanted to say already or maybe posting would be totally pointless or maybe i should just move on to the next thread..

and maybe i shouldnt of posted this?

Red Mage

Local time
-->
#?. when this is only your third post because you've spent the whole time since you've joined lurking through the site and figuring that maybe someone else has articulated what you wanted to say already or maybe posting would be totally pointless or maybe i should just move on to the next thread..

and maybe i shouldnt of posted this?

That sounds like me. In fact, I came here, read this and was about to post a reply then decided not to and left and then came back and posted this. Although, maybe I shouldn't have.

thebarran

Local time
-->
your eyes fill up with water at the slightest sad or happy tale.

Cobra

Local time
-->
Who left the ceiling open? Joooordaaaaan~........?

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
You spend hours rehearsing a difficult conversation until you have it perfect and the person goes and ruins it by missing their first line.

zephryi

Local time
-->
You spend hours rehearsing a difficult conversation until you have it perfect and the person goes and ruins it by missing their first line.

Has anyone else done the whole thinking, Hi, this is... May I speak with...? as they're calling someone just so they're not caught off guard when someone picks up?

Sugarpop

Local time
-->
your eyes fill up with water at the slightest sad or happy tale.

- You enjoy shopping, especially for clothes, and often bring with you your 10 closest friends to the mall every weekend.

Has anyone else done the whole thinking, Hi, this is... May I speak with...? as they're calling someone just so they're not caught off guard when someone picks up?

Yes. I also try to limit my answer when being called to a monosyllable.

Top Bottom