• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Yay or Nay? Clothing with texts on them.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 3:34 PM
-->
Yay or Nay? Clothing with texts on them. What's appropriate and what's not? Or are they just bad in general?

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 5:34 PM
-->
Well, if you want to go and be a billboard...

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Gives me something to read. I'm all for other people wearing them.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Almost always nay. I hate when people buy me shirts with text because I don't like the perception it gives off. That said there is one fantastic shirt I have with text that's actually good someone bought me.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 7:34 AM
-->
We speaking only text here?I dont mind others wearing them. But many of them are just stupid sentences. Somethimes I snicker on people with "Orgasm giver" or famous " I beat anorexia" So maybe they are funny or I have shity sense of humore.:confused:

Graphics on clothes can be cool tho, when illustartor is skilled and has interesting style.
146561485.jpg

I rarely wear skirts but this one I would.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
I can usually never find any clothing that has a good textual graphic. They all look either pretentious, lacking depth, confusing or meaningless. Clothing with quotes on them, even if the quotes are good, doesn't give off the vibe or the intended fashion statement that could be expressed in the fabric of the clothing itself.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:34 PM
-->
I don't mind them too much since they're rarely distracting.

I think organization or sports team-related text in clothing should at least be given a pass especially if worn in areas or events associated with said organization/sports team.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 8:34 PM
-->
I wouldn't mind wearing this shirt. But it means a lot more than it says. It's from a movie.

[bimgx=250]http://www.founditemclothing.com/shop/images/P/dont-hassle-me-im-local-shirt.jpg[/bimgx]

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 4:04 PM
-->
I generally look down on them, but appraise each one on a case-by-case basis.

When I was a kid I had a shirt that said "my mum thinks I'm cool". It was my favourite shirt for a while (yes it was a present from my mum :))))).

But generally pre-packaged humour is bad, and wildly available.

There's also an issue with exposition. You're trying to tell people that you're a funny person, while demonstrating that you actually just copy jokes you've heard... It doesn't help that these jokes are unfunny as a rule, and something about the 'shock' factor that many of them try to represent falls flat.

I can't really think of many clothes I've seen that had text that didn't try to be funny. Sometimes it's a political or ideological message, but I don't like those either. Anyone who could be swayed by a t-shirt is already on your side, and it just normalises empty rhetoric. It makes those clothes more like gang colours than a real medium for change.

Maybe I'm a hater.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:34 AM
-->
It depends.

Sometimes I just buy stuff like that cuz they're cheap and I need cheap clothes for working out or painting or something...

Bad Itch

Push to Start
Local time
Today 3:34 AM
-->
If I am working I might rock a t-shirt with team colors on it (company logo, branding); I'm not public facing so I don't really need to be branded. If I am going to pick a fight in the cashier lineup at the supermarket then I should not wear team colors. But that's branding, not so much "text" as it's being discussed here.

A lot of what I see is pretty bad. Some of it makes me grin a little but then it's bad the next time I see it.

After thinking about it for a moment, it occurs to me that anything I have with text on it is vendor SWAG from conferences and stuff. Over the years, some has been "tasteful"; the ones which aren't get used for cleaning house or cooking messy things.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 1:34 AM
-->
I wouldn't mind wearing this shirt. But it means a lot more than it says. It's from a movie.

[bimgx=250]http://www.founditemclothing.com/shop/images/P/dont-hassle-me-im-local-shirt.jpg[/bimgx]

What About Bob.

I don't have a problem with text on clothing per se, it just depends what it is. There are shirts that are shitty with words on them and there are shirts that are great with words on them. A long time ago, this guy wore this shirt that I didn't get at the time, but looking back, that is exactly why I like the shirt. It said "there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't" My appreciation for that shirt went up significantly after I learned how to read binary. I also have a shirt I really like that my parents bought for me when they went to Italy. Its black and says "Leonardo" at the top and says "Italia" at the bottom and it has a picture of the Vitruvian Man in the middle. Graphics are in white. I also like band tees because they can be topic starters.

TransientMoment

_ _ , - _ , _ -
Local time
-->
It usually doesn't bother me as long as it's not provocative, intentionally insulting, or promoting some idea that everyone knows defies common sense. Of course, whatever you have on your shirt might say something about you, but I won't judge you unless I think you are the kind of person who specifically chose to wear that shirt for what it says, in which case, the shirt just confirms what I've already found otherwise.

Lurker

Local time
-->
Nah, with some special exceptions. Most of the time I feel silly wearing a shirt with writing or a picture. What would I want to show the world?

"Cutie seeks coffee?" Gag.

"Don't ask" with press-on Grumpy Cat? Why?

"NPR?" Oh, to impress upon people that I prefer blues and classical music over "A-Yo" or "Look What You Made Me Do?" Oh yes, I'm also an urbane, sophisticated, and progressive individual. I declare that I am politically independent, and I bemoan the lack of a third party in the U.S. My interests are many, and often esoteric. .......

Nope. If I need to associate with this or that for bragging rights, then I'm pathetic.

"ABERCROMBIE" I'm not paying three times as much for a sweatshirt just to promote your brand. You are double screwing me.

I do wear goofy PJ pants, though.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
a88eBpd_700b.jpg

hmm i thought this t-shirt was nice when i first saw it, but now it's lost it's appeal somehow

i think the juxtaposition of the font+ picture on the quote is nice

Lurker

Local time
-->
:king-twitter: enlarged 20 x maybe with "Only Twits don't tweet!" or something about King Trump tweeting

And, I will probably never use that smiley again.:rip:

oxyjen

not today, satan
Local time
-->
Nah, with some special exceptions. Most of the time I feel silly wearing a shirt with writing or a picture. What would I want to show the world?

"Cutie seeks coffee?" Gag.

"Don't ask" with press-on Grumpy Cat? Why?

"NPR?" Oh, to impress upon people that I prefer blues and classical music over "A-Yo" or "Look What You Made Me Do?" Oh yes, I'm also an urbane, sophisticated, and progressive individual. I declare that I am politically independent, and I bemoan the lack of a third party in the U.S. My interests are many, and often esoteric. .......

Nope. If I need to associate with this or that for bragging rights, then I'm pathetic.

"ABERCROMBIE" I'm not paying three times as much for a sweatshirt just to promote your brand. You are double screwing me.

I do wear goofy PJ pants, though.

Hey now, some of us need to wear NPR because we live in red states like South Dakota and need to send out a homing beacon to other liberals to let them know they're not alone.

Plus I needed new t-shirts and had this weird idea at the time that since I was laying out the money for shirts, I would buy them from organizations/causes/charities I support.

Overall I don't own many shirts with words on them. Now when I was much younger and it was popular in the late 90's to have statement shirts, I had a bunch.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
2yngjt4.jpg

Stuff like this annoys me :|

Saw it in the bus today.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time