• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

Would you sell your education?

suppose that you have just graduated with a PhD. Imagine that you could sell the degree and knowledge, deleting it all from your memory save for the knowledge that you once had it, and copying it to someone else’s brain. Would you sell? How much would it take?

Hadoblado

The choicest fuckboi
I would for a very high number. At least in the multiple hundreds of thousands, more likely in the millions.

Education is a lot of work, and it takes up years of your life. It would basically have to make up for the wages I didn't earn while getting the education, plus extra for the pretty intense stress such an education would cause me compared to a similar amount of work.

Serac

Prolific Member
Definitely not. You're basically selling a part of who you are, in fact the most valuable part of who you are in my opinion, as this is a part of your intellectual self. I wouldn't trade that for money.

Fuck it. I’m over it. I’ll sell it for $10mil ($1m for each bachelors and $2m for my masters, and $6m for my industry experience) and start over in tech. Any takers?

If I for some reason couldn't get an income and was completely broke, then I'd probably sell it. But it would have to be enough money to survive for a while, or enabling me to get an income.

As long as I have a comfy income, I wouldn't do it. Unless, maybe if the degree was garbage to me anyway :yuk:

Hadoblado

The choicest fuckboi
Wait... would this include high-school? Would I become completely uneducated or just minimally educated? I was interpreting the question as selling your non-compulsory education.

I'm more interested in governments buying up educations and stacking them on young people/themselves in order to have the most effective strategists. This entire idea could become a war dystopian anime. Where people are no longer given the option to sell and have to hide their knowledge while trying to gain enough/use the machine themselves to gain the knowledge in order to fight back against the governments.

You could do the whole deathnote thing were there's a mastermind for the resistance who nobody knows etc. *Also if any of you make money off this idea I'll sell you my education for it.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
No, that's stupid. Why sell something that regularly earns $$$ for one time big time windfall? I don't think I have the financial maturity to handle that large amount of money wisely.

It's like killing the golden goose.

Hadoblado

The choicest fuckboi
When you state it like that it feels like you're not thinking of it at all quantitatively?

The cheque is blank. You could sell your education for enough money to set yourself up for life AND everyone else in your country. TBH at a certain level saying no is a selfish act because you could literally cure world poverty or whatever else with that money.

You could pay for the very best education, you could pay for personal tutors to get you a better education than you previously had. The time it takes to get a new education should be valued against the time saved not having to work. Ten years to get another PhD or whatever should be valued against the 30+ years you're looking at having to work full time.

You could save the world at almost no cost to yourself.

Opposition to selling education seems ideological in nature and short-sighted. Bugger off hippies!

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
When you state it like that it feels like you're not thinking of it at all quantitatively?

The cheque is blank. You could sell your education for enough money to set yourself up for life AND everyone else in your country. TBH at a certain level saying no is a selfish act because you could literally cure world poverty or whatever else with that money.

You could pay for the very best education, you could pay for personal tutors to get you a better education than you previously had. The time it takes to get a new education should be valued against the time saved not having to work. Ten years to get another PhD or whatever should be valued against the 30+ years you're looking at having to work full time.

You could save the world at almost no cost to yourself.

Opposition to selling education seems ideological in nature and short-sighted. Bugger off hippies!
The problem is that it posits that there's a blank cheque and that the gov't or whatever entity is buying your knowledge won't try to shortchange you. PhD's have different values and the initial financial investment doesn't necessarily mean that the PhD is actually valuable (if this is not real then there should be no PhD grads on food stamps).

You could just start a business IRL & save the world rather than go this PhD selling route. Less risk.

Hadoblado

The choicest fuckboi
the question is this:
suppose that you have just graduated with a PhD. Imagine that you could sell the degree and knowledge, deleting it all from your memory save for the knowledge that you once had it, and copying it to someone else’s brain. Would you sell? How much would it take?
It's a hypothetical and the cheque is blank. When you assume practical limitations, you're avoiding the question.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
the question is this:

It's a hypothetical and the cheque is blank. When you assume practical limitations, you're avoiding the question.
Well if it's a hypothetical blank cheque then cash away! The higher the better.

Top Bottom