• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Work - overthinking

majohnso

Local time
Today 4:50 AM
-->
i find that i am constantly thinking about work, even though i am not that interested in the work in of itself. its my obsessive trait.

however there is another angle which relates to fear of performance at work also, although i have generally done well

is this a common intp thing, or even just the obsessive thinking

what do others do to remedy and balance their mind generally

thanks

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 1:50 PM
-->
no, it is not a common intp trait

we think about normal stuff, women, sex, food, etc and eat a lot of vegetables. but sometimes we like to think about how much coupons we have for that pizza shop, to see if we have enough to get that free pizza. i also think about assholes and idiots and how the said assholes and idiots function cognitively. then i shake my head, because you know, assholes and idiots tend to be just assholes. i also sometimes give thanks to the many gods that are around me. such as the train god, who bestows me with great timings on the train, as well as the traffic signal god, who does not waste a single second on me and bestows me with hasty speed. there is also the elevator god and the bus god. they provide me with many blessings indeed.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I do tend to get very intense about projects I am engaged in. Sometimes it turns into an obsession. That is often an effective way of making progress, but is also a very painful state to be in, psychologically.

I have never done anything in terms of "balance" though. I don't see the value in that. I'm gonna have an eternity of time to chill out after I'm dead.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:20 PM
-->
Do you have anxiety? Because that sounds a lot like anxiety.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Yesterday 11:50 PM
-->
I completely agree with Hado.

If you are doing well in your job, but you are still worried about it, that is prolly anxiety. Most people don't really give a shit about how they are doing in their job, they just do the bare min to get by. OK so maybe that is a bit of bias talking and maybe it's kind of normal to worry about your job, but not if you are in good standing with your boss which it sounds like you are.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
For me, having work on the brain is perfectly normal. Just recently I had my managing director chewing me out for doing too much work. He said that my work ethic is admirable but I'm clearly running myself into the ground.

In spite of that, I still worry that I don't have 100% of my shit in order. I think some of us are just wired that way.

For what it's worth, I'm NTJ, not NTP.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 12:50 PM
-->
Yeah, I have that too.

I'm not sure if it's just anxiety or if I'm just really hard on myself.

I'm with Serac & PmjPmj on this one. I think it's a good way of pushing on the completion of a project but it costs you psychological pain.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
I don't think it's an inherently good or bad thing. In Big Five terms, it probably correlates with industriousness or something along those lines.

Sure, I can drift off into Ni Zen-mode for a while here and there, but a day in which I do not get a sufficient amount of shit done = a waste of time, and ultimately has me feeling quite deflated.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 5:50 PM
-->
Obsession has been my modus operandi for as long as I can remember. I’m quite lost and depressed if I don’t have something to obsess over. Psychological pain though....? I wouldn’t say so, although I’m not quite sure what is meant by psychological pain, to be honest. All I know is that I’m far worse off when idle. I don’t tend to do things halfway, I have to complete no matter how much I’ve already rejected it. Which means I go through periods where I’m extremely hard on myself for not being productive/creative enough....and that is painful. But I’ve always found a dead end is just a serious prompt for me to think out of the box, and I usually find a way to get past or over the looming mountain of doubt.

I guess low production/creativity could just be a result of sheer fatigue, such as now where I’ve basically hit the wall and found myself bedridden for several days. I don’t know how many times I’d reiterated the process over in my brain before that, but any psychologist would probably have a field day in there.

The thing about lying in bed is how your brain seems to problem solve all on its own though. I’ve had some of my greatest moments of insight just lying here, staring into space. A week of illness has actually been quite productive, in that respect.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 10:50 PM
-->
I’m not quite sure what is meant by psychological pain

For me, it is not having a reason to exist or that I am so worthless than I am paralyzed mentally that I nothing I do matters. I want to do something but can't and that causes cognitive dissonance. I shut down, bury my emotions, act only on the simple things that my mind does not have to think of my inadequacies. Later on try to create something, be creative and fail. Get anxiety so bad I cannot talk. Get a job where no one talks to me. Try to keep hope a better place will exist as the pictures on my computer show me. Suppress feelings of neglect.

Top Bottom