• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Words that piss you off

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 2:14 PM
-->

The usage of the word is usually symptomatic of a mechanistic, cut n dry understanding of genetics and evolutionary psychology which are viewed as absolute blue prints governing humans on a biological and behavioral basis, discounting the influence of environment on genetic expression when it comes to genetics, or discounting the speculative nature of the discipline when it comes to evolutionary psychology.

Going further, characterizing something as "hardwired" allows people to assert things in an absolute sense; cloistering their claims against any further inquiry or criticism. It's (dressed up as) science; you cannot question it.

Going even further, it's usage goes hand in hand with a worldview and belief system where Evolution is seen as an intelligent, guided process, as a substitute for God, for creationism. Individuals of this persuasion misappropriate, cherry pick, misinterpret, omit nuance or just plain herald bad research as fact in order to vindicate and validate their worldview in the process both misinterpreting the scientific process and the biological concepts they use.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 2:14 PM
-->
The usage of the word is usually symptomatic of a mechanistic, cut n dry understanding of genetics and evolutionary psychology which are viewed as absolute blue prints governing humans on a biological and behavioral basis, discounting the influence of environment on genetic expression when it comes to genetics, or discounting the speculative nature of the discipline when it comes to evolutionary psychology.

Going further, characterizing something as "hardwired" allows people to assert things in an absolute sense; cloistering their claims against any further inquiry or criticism. It's (dressed up as) science; you cannot question it.

Going even further, it's usage goes hand in hand with a worldview and belief system where Evolution is seen as an intelligent, guided process, as a substitute for God, for creationism. Individuals of this persuasion misappropriate, cherry pick, misinterpret, omit nuance or just plain herald bad research as fact in order to vindicate and validate their worldview in the process both misinterpreting the scientific process and the biological concepts they use.

What alternative phrasing would you suggest?

It accurately describes certain things although it's probably overused for convenient simplification due to the catch-phrase metaphorical qualities you describe.

qwertyelna

Redshirt
Local time
Today 1:14 PM
-->
"peers" and "throw up"

when people use the world peers, like when talking to little kids and stuff, it seems really weird. like, why can't you just say people?

and why doesn't everyone just say vomit? maybe puke sometimes of you're feeling childish, but throw up? that's even more gross. the sentence "suzy threw up." makes me cringe a lot more than "suzy vomited." or "suzy puked."

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
Today 1:14 PM
-->
This thread needs a bump.

Eccentricities, alpha, sigma, beta, cuck, jordan peterson, guava, glands, cum, fake news, enlightenment, Italian, charisma, corporation, pansexual, liability, asset, marketing, smart _____, cloud, nootropic.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 10:44 PM
-->
'Literally' - because it has literally become gap filler in people's sentences. It no longer has meaning, and every time I hear it out of context makes me dislike the speaker more.

'Technically' - because every time I hear the word it seems as if the person who says it is implying that they have thought of something you haven't. People do sometimes think of things I haven't, but those people don't begin their sentences with 'technically'.

'Bob' - the generic name everyone on the internet gives to anything seemingly at random. Hipster bullshit startup fucks.

'Random' - Don't get me started on this shit. Unexpected maybe, but not random.

'Douche' - the biggest douche I know used to say this word more often than any other curse word. I think that having heard it so many times simultaneously to me thinking he was a hypocrite has conditioned me to cringe every time I hear the word.

'lol' - used to get on my nerves but I think I've been desensitised. It still pisses me off when someone tries to do something clever with it such as 'roflcopter' and the like.

'troll' - is beginning to get on my nerves because I use it to mean something different. When a friend claims to be trolling me, I think 'no, you're just being a prick'. It came to my attention recently that these two things are basically synonymous (not my romanticised version where a troll needs to at least be clever). This makes me think the word pointless.

I also hate pretty much any slang term for marijuana. It's moronic to saturate your culture with a plethora of words for such a simple thing. I would understand if they were trying to hide the fact they consumed illicit drugs, but this is exactly the opposite of what these people are generally trying to do.

Wow so angry...

So 5-6 years later, I look back at this stuff I wrote and I still dislike these words for much the same reasons, but I've stopped taking on new peeves in the same way, or at least, not as much. I think this demonstrates a difference in outlook. When something is a useless or loaded word, it becomes fun for me, rather than hackneyed. Borrowing from Lago above, terms like 'cuck' and 'beta' are pretty cringey, but they're also kinda fun. I disagree with the way they're used, but by using them myself I'm often trying to show why they're not useful. It's no longer experienced as a negative.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 10:14 PM
-->
I get tilted a bit when people mispell ridiculous. (It's not r e, it's r i...)

And yeah the words that came out of the general gender wars annoy me too, like cuck, beta, gender fluid, gender z etc.

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
Today 7:14 AM
-->
Kitty-corner (just say diagonal from)
Cantankerous
Mandatory (not so much the word itself as the people saying it)
Theocratic
Juxtaposition
Salutations
Testicles (I seriously think there could be a better sounding, non-slang name for them, not testes either)
Hearty

lightfire

Local time
Today 8:14 AM
-->
Sorry for resurrecting the dead, I find this to be an awesome thread though.

^Hearty is a dumb word, and so is dollop and ladle. Like shut up lol.

Sunday Funday - stfu, sunday is never a fun day. sunday is laundry day and sitting in fear and mentally preparing myself for monday

The term "draining the swamp" - cringey memories from the previous election, not looking forward to the catchphrases and whatever of 2020

Also the word "comfortable" only because I have a hard time pronouncing it :sweat:

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
Today 9:14 AM
-->
eggtooth
sweetie
drop dead
or to die for
languish
feline
fiscal
gridlock
shrill
maroon
suave
hercules
rusty
corrosion

I think its the visuals I see from these words that are associated with them that I don't love. But Sweetie said in a Southern Twang irks me to no end.

Top Bottom