• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

WHY DOES THIS SHIT MATTER HUH?

Gorgrim

Local time
Today 6:54 AM
-->
becoming a better person is what I get from christianity as a religion.. rest is just fluff :)

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:54 AM
-->
"WHY DOES THIS SHIT MATTER HUH?"

Why does anything have to matter?

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
Yesterday 11:54 PM
-->
^^ Because it matters.

Cog, you took the bait but unfortunately I forgot to set a trap. I have got to remember to do that.

Da Blob yes, your spelling of the word is better. I originally wanted to spell it acidness but then I decided to save that for a kill the other user thread.

Artifice Orisit

Those black soulless eyes, like the eyes of a shark..,
So cute.

QSR

Local time
Yesterday 10:54 PM
-->
It's a CUTE KITTY! I love calicos.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
THIS DONT BE MAKIN SENSE THO. Y I GOT TO DO DIS?

Uh Oh! 11.5 words...STAND BACK, EVERYONE!!!

The meaning of Faith is to never have to ask the question, "WHY"...

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
Local time
Today 5:54 AM
-->
wat is this forum about> i think its about sex tho

You are correct, but they are all unaware, sadly. They arrive here, as virgins, to subtly discuss techniques to lose their virginity, I think. This is definitely a place for INTPs to congregate and discuss the topic they share in common, virginity.

QSR

Local time
-->
Apparently trolls get free reign in this place. INTP is too dense/nice to tell them off.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 5:54 PM
-->
Too preoccupied actually.

What I wonder is why we can't resist taking troll bait?

Because the question itself seems more important than any motive behind it being asked?

*shrugs*

dwags222

Local time
-->
i read through this entire thread and i have two things to say.

first . . . this is the funniest thing in the entire thread

I know a little bit about having my own head up my ass. At the time you can't see shit

hmm i expected just the opposite.

second, a message to da blob

i respect your possition. i actually have a bachelors in biblical literature. however, don't you think if you want to have a positive impact on peoples view of god, religion, and spirituality, then the least responsible thing you could do in an intp forum is quote the bible? the bible is great, if you accept it as true, but if a person is not even in a position to be open to what the bible says, and most intp's in todays age will not be, then you need to find a better way to argue positively for god. (i am not trying to be rebuke you, it is just that i have had the above personal insight as at one time in life i thought quoting the bible, or making purely biblical arguments for the existence of god was a good thing to do, but now i realize it usually does more harm than good.)

Local time
-->
We benefited through the troll's action (intellectual stimuli through intense discussion). I think that we, the regulars, and the troll, ???, are both satisfied.

benone

Redshirt
Local time
-->
The meaning of Faith is to never have to ask the question, "WHY"...

So... you mean that Faith is necessary an apposite for Science ? :confused:
I always considered the 'why' as the foundation of all scientific advances. I even use the 'why' when I try to know more about the God and He's Word.
Can you elaborate your 'faith vs why' statement ? :o

Last edited:

Parodyofme

Local time
-->
a message to da blob

i respect your possition. i actually have a bachelors in biblical literature. however, don't you think if you want to have a positive impact on peoples view of god, religion, and spirituality, then the least responsible thing you could do in an intp forum is quote the bible? the bible is great, if you accept it as true, but if a person is not even in a position to be open to what the bible says, and most intp's in todays age will not be, then you need to find a better way to argue positively for god. (i am not trying to be rebuke you, it is just that i have had the above personal insight as at one time in life i thought quoting the bible, or making purely biblical arguments for the existence of god was a good thing to do, but now i realize it usually does more harm than good.)

Good observation. You don't want people dismissing you before you get a chance to explain.

Yossarian

Local time
-->
Did we ever reach a conclusion on this one guys?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Yo, what is this ... Oldest Necro'ed Thread Week?

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
Maybe, but it brings up an interesting question.

Is it more acceptable to breathe life into an old thread, or to make a new thread with the same subject?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I dunno. I find it annoying mostly if (1) someone is just necro'ing threads cuz they're bored [hey, just start some new threads] and don't even contribute anything when they bump the thread, or (2) people provide responses or ask questions of folks who left the forum three or more years ago.

And, and (3) when I wrote stuff in a thread years ago and then get quizzed in depth on it, after I no longer remember what i posted and my views might have also changed since then.

Then again, if it's just a general topic and general rebirth, not a biggie.

I might as well use this as an opportunity to also quote one of my more favorite films:

Lapis Lazuli

Banned
Local time
-->
What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you:

“This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence - even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!”

Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him:

“You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.”

If this thought gained possession of you, it would change you as you are or perhaps crush you. The question in each and every thing, “Do you desire this once more and innumerable time more?” would lie upon your actions as the greatest weight. Or how disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life to crave nothing more fervently than this ultimate eternal confirmation and seal?
-Nietzsche

PaulMaster

Local time
-->
but trying that in life just doesnt seem to work.

Actually, it is the only thing that does work. You (and everyone else) do it every single second of every single day.

Even accepting, say, Buddhism as your value system, you are still deciding what your values will be. Its just a lazier way of doing it.

PaulMaster

Local time
-->

Things matter precisely because things dont matter.

Since there is no inherent value in the universe, a rational being would have no reason/purpose for continuing on. So, in order to survive and replicate, along with reason, a rational being needs an ego. The ego say's "I'm special". Thus creating a reason for a rational animal to fight for its survival in an otherwise purposeless universe.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Maybe, but it brings up an interesting question.

Is it more acceptable to breathe life into an old thread, or to make a new thread with the same subject?

I prefer to revive old ones, but only if they are extremely relevant to what I have to say, or are just a decent 'template' for whatever thread I would have made.

Why should age matter? Unless someone is stupidly questioning specific people about thoughts long gone.

I try to minimise thread creation. Dunno why.

I can see why others might be annoyed at having history brought up though.

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
Today 2:54 PM
-->
I think its interesting to see reoccurances of thought, new insights and comparisons to the past and what it could mean for the future. Rather than ideas being proposed with no thought of the ancestors already discussing them in forgotten histories.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Today 2:54 PM
-->
It's a vindication, essentially. Look at it like this:

a) something matters
or
b) nothing matters

Now, assuming a true belief leads to the necessarily implications of said belief emanating forth into reality, and consider the alternate beliefs:

a) belief that something matters
or
b) belief that nothing matters

And now, apply a chart a la game theory, for the four different options:
i) nothing matters, believe nothing matters: outcome = 0
ii) nothing matters, believe something matters: outcome = 0
iii) something matters, believe nothing matters: outcome = uncertain = x
iv) something matters, believe something matters: outcome = uncertain = y

However, in accordance with the previous statement that true belief leads to correct outcome, we have that necessarily y > x, and hence the belief that something matters (weakly) dominates the belief that nothing matters.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Why? You may be in it right now, you would never be conscious of the cycle, atleast not really.

It already feels like it.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Fuck, that would be my ultimate hell.

Yeah, if I couldn't change anything... well, there were way too many excruciating periods in my life that I have no desire to relive as part of a repeated long trudge.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Ah yes, the fundamental existential question to human beings throughout the ages : "Does any of this shit matter?"

Some have professed that none of the shit matters, whilst others have said all of it matters. Prophets and philosophers throughout the ages have been reassigning value to different shit, contradicting each other, even killing one another over the shit that does and does not matter.

Very profound thread, I am pleased it was resurrected.

Top Bottom