• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why did you pick your name?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:50 AM
-->
I wanted something that incorporated my real name a little bit (because I want to be "known") but I'm also pretty quirky and imagination and like to play around.

So alluding to Carroll's poem seems to be a perfect fit.

(I actually tried to use "Mimsical" elsewhere, another term I half-coined from the same poem, but it felt less personal and plus other people had already used it -- I was sure "Jennywocky" was not being used by anyone and wanted to keep the name as much as possible so I didn't forget my id on some sites.)

Probably the same reasoning I use in selecting the "quirky Death" instead of a different more serious version of her for my av.

Loraella

Local time
Today 6:50 AM
-->
I have been using many different user names on different sites - quite often when I register on a new one I feel like starting with a new one again because I'm not entirely content with my old one(s) any more :P
Another one I've been using relatively a lot lately was Luz Melian. (Luz cause my real name is Lucie, so it's kind of similar, and Melian is one of the charecters I like in Silmarillion, plus the word looks and sounds good.)
Now I wanted something that would consist of just one word though. Something different again... and eventually I went to a fantasy names generator site and filled in the boxes it asked. And already the first suggestion was a word that I instantly liked :D

FusionKnight

It's not my fault!
Local time
Today 12:50 AM
-->
Fusion - of ideas, of foods, of music, of words, of nuclei, of time and space, of mind and body, of knowledge and faith, of myself and the "other".

Knight - Chivalrous, valorous, courageous, humble, courteous, strong, defender, warrior, lover, noble, loyal, self-sacrificing.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
Mm, I chose my name for a couple reasons. Let me see if I can remember...

I've always loved fantasy, mythology, and mystical beings...I was almost "Pheonix", but there are a lot of people who use that. I do like dragons, but I had an obsession with them way back when, and they have too much hype. And I almost chose to be "Gryphon", because they're my next favorite fantasy being...but Chimera works.

It's a mix of animals; if you want to think about it traditionally, it's lion, goat, and snake I believe. I like to think that represents me quite well...the lion for my pride and sense of confidence. The goat for my overwhelming stubbornness. The snake for being sly, and my tendency to be "venemous" when I'm angry or frustrated.

Chimera also means "illusion" or "fanciful imagination", if I remember right. (I looked it up when I was picking a name.) I've always been prone to daydreaming and vivid night dreams in general...so that fits as well.

The main reason I picked the name though is because if you chop off the "ra" in "Chimera", you're left with "Chime". I think of windchimes, which always link to freedom and beauty. But it sounds different from how most people pronounce "Chimera", and a lot of people wouldn't think of "Chime" when they read the name. And that is ridiculously representative of me. I'm quite good at putting on a show of being indifferent and unaffected by anything, and sometimes that's really the truth...but I really am a tenderhearted person IF that side of me can be unearthed. Fortunately, I only know of about 3 people who can unlock the Chime in me. Everyone else gets the monster.

I had other reasons...but I either just lied or forgot them.

Loraella

Local time
-->
Chimera - I like your username! I like mythological and fantasy beings too, particularly elves (the Tolkien type, not the silly little dwarvies.)
Aren't you by chance also on the forum amaranthia.com? I used to be active there for years (but in the last months got rather bored and annoyed there and don't visit any more) and there's also a Chimera member there :P

kellimaier

Local time
-->
It's high in the middle and round on both ends...o
It's my name.

ok, that said...I have some user names here and there...nicknames that I ended up with in real life "Kaboom", "Bunny", and "Diosa" are the three most commonly used online and nicks from friends and family.

"Kaboom" comes from my rather risk taking and...um..occasionally angry and anti social personality.
I can be really quiet and then make me mad( which is hard to do)...and..."Kaboom"

Bunny...no idea where that came from. I think that in spite of what I said above I seem a bit vulnerable to people. ( They are always trying to fix me! ) I am absent minded and fuzzy ...I skitter away from people.

Diosa...given by my cousins because I can act a bit...arrogant..so they say..I think it is more just quiet.

Pepper

Local time
-->
Because I had the song "Pepper" by the Butthole Surfers running through my head that day.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
Decaf;
I came across that same article when I looked up Chimera (for alternate meanings, origin, etc...). I would have spelled my name "Chimaera", but I wondered if someone might link it to the ghost shark...
Those are strange little buggers. Interesting though.

Oh, by the way, every time I see your name I crave coffee. But I don't do decaf.

Loraella;
I have to confess I've never read Tolkein's works. Watched the movies though. I just never got into the books.
Nope, I've never heard of amaranthia.com. But that's ironic...I almost incorperated Amaranth into my name here. I think I was going to be Amarantine or something.
What's amaranthia.com a forum of?

Loraella

Local time
-->
o_O That's cool with the amaranth username idea, Chimera XD
Amaranthia is a forum run by a woman (who uses amaranth as her nickname) who makes RPGs. She started making games about 4 or 5 years ago and although she hasn't made many yet, I find them really enjoyable. It was the first forum I ever joined, in April 2005 - I had downloaded her first RPG from another gaming site, and then as I needed help with something I visited the site, joined and stayed a regular and even quite addicted member. Everything was so new and fascinating to me on these forums. And people were of different ages and nations and discussions of various topics, definitely not only about games or fantasy.
But for about the last year it has been going downhill imo... there was a transition to a new site with totally new design last year in spring, not the black&purple any more u_u Of course this wasn't the main problem to me, but also the community is all different. From the oldies with which I used to talk a lot there's almost no one any more. There has been a huge wave of newbies, a lot of them even younger than 15 or 14. Earlier there was a special private atmosphere but now there are just too many members. Old ones are gone and with new ones I somehow can't connect any more. People who are relatively new became mods; which kind of upset me cause I had been a regular member for longer than them and also helpful in the game section (for people who needed help in amaranth's games and quests in them). And there has been also an annoying drama issue a few months ago, and also in my opinion more censorhip and authoritarianism from the site owner than it should be on a forum. After all it's the people who create the forum, not only the owner. Constructive criticisms, also mine, have been unaccepted and misinterpred... topics by some other members attempting to debade on the "controversial" issues were closed and even deleted, because "they may cause hurt feelings." So yeah with time my connection to the site has been getting weaker and weaker and now I don't have any need to go there any more.
Uhh sorry for the long rant :S Like I said, this site was really something quite special to me and it wasn't even easy for me to decide to leave. But good thing is that with the several people I liked there who also don't go there any more I managed to connect on facebook.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
That sounds eerily similar to something that happened to me as well. ._.
I know what that's like. I was part of a roleplay forum whose members turned into my best friends and second family for a time. We were so close to each other that if one of us was going through something, such as a problem at home, we would all feel it and be affected in a few days. But drama started popping up, and I took a break from the site after the admin started getting on my case about some thing or another...and then when I came back to the site, less than half of my oldbie friends were still active and there was a swarm of newbies that I didn't have any desire to get to know. I still visit pretty regularly, maybe once a week, but I don't actually take much part in the forum.
It's amusing to me 'cause people who have never had that sort of bond with a forum could probably never understand. They'd be like "wtf, it's just a site ._."

*Stabbity*

Local time
-->
Stabbity is an expression that the Black Mage uses from a comic strip called 8 bit Theater. Based on the NES game Final Fantasy 1.
http://www.nuklearpower.com/latest.php

I use about ten different avatar names on the net. I try to do that to decrease my digital footprint on the net. Funny, I have revealed more about myself on this forum than have in all my yrs of being on the internet.

If I did something illegal this would be the prime place to find out my identity.

I have an obsession with the letter K and generally use it for avatar names.

IntenseBurger

Local time
-->
Stabbity is an expression that the Black Mage uses from a comic strip called 8 bit Theater. Based on the NES game Final Fantasy 1.
http://www.nuklearpower.com/latest.php

I KNEW IT!

by the way I LOVE 8-bit theater. I started reading it a few months ago, now I'm all the way episode 612. I'll be sad when I get to the end and I gots to wait for his updates. reading 20 at a time is a nice luxury

Artifice Orisit

If I did something illegal this would be the prime place to find out my identity.

I have an obsession with the letter K and generally use it for avatar names.

It's Kirky, Get him!

(I just made that up, and no, I don't know why)

Hammett

Local time
Today 4:20 PM
-->
Hammett, Kirk. :cool:

I must have been having an uninspired day and quite frankly I don’t like it but whatcha gonna do *shrug*

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Yesterday 10:50 PM
-->
I like names that have multiple meanings. The first reason why I chose Grey matters was out of the irritation (almost exasperation) and frustration from being surrounded by mostly illogical and frivolous people, therefore I feel the need to point out that gray matter really does matter. Secondly I am going gray, with age comes wisdom and that matters also. Thirdly I don't believe that everything is or should be either black or white, gray matters also.

To give you a fourth meaning, grey matter is a major component to your brain!

I've had this username on various forums and on AIM for years, so why not continue it? "Jones" seemed like a neutral and ambiguous name, and with the title "civilian" it's only more meaningless. I'm not sure why I wanted an ambiguous or meaningless name- probably something to do with the INTP-brand of self doubt & lack of self confidence.

Story:
I was filled with a desire to play warcraft 3 during a mental trip. But I didn't want to play under my normal username, because I was most likely going to do terrible. The solution was easy enough: Make a new account. But then I reached an enigma... what should my username be??? How can any 16-alphanumeric phrase express who I am?? If I can't properly express who I am, can I atleast choose a name that is neutral? Every word I thought of had A LOT of emotional impact. Furthermore everytime I thought of a word my Ne would show me a connection to something really significant. I ended up using 16 random numbers. And I lost my game badly, but it was pretty.

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:50 AM
-->
Intuitives are introspectives and not Earthlings. We are space cadets from another planet. Originally, I thought I was a shooting star from the Perseus constellation. Now, I realise I am probably from Neptune. Well I knew that before, but I was acting under a masquerade.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Umm, Perseus was primarily a hero in Greek mythology, and a constellation only on the side.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It was Medusa the Gorgon.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
If you were going for a mirror effect, why didn't you spell it backwards?

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
Umm...
It's kinda obvious, no?

He is a bad-ass from lord fo the rings, so it's not a very original name nor that inventive, but I think it rolls off the tongue nicely, unless you pronounce it like Cabbo did.

>Milk-gore.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Old user name, vengeance was already taken so i improvised.

Local time
-->
I often use alot of different names, Felinial, Saiph, Sacred Chao, Jonny Cross all of which kinda fit with a mental state at the time, SafetyInNumbers just came to me without the need to think too much, so I picked it and looking back it seems appropriate.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
I often use alot of different names, Felinial, Saiph, Sacred Chao, Jonny Cross all of which kinda fit with a mental state at the time, SafetyInNumbers just came to me without the need to think too much, so I picked it and looking back it seems appropriate.

Hail Eris!

Local time
-->
Hail Eris godess of discordia, yep indeed. just wait till Hagbard Celine gets here.

Idigress

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I picked this name back in the Mid 90s when I was trying to think of a username to use when I played Doom on my first computer. Thought it was pretty unique. Nowadays it's been stolen quite a bit :-)

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
Nowadays it's been stolen quite a bit :-)

That is so frustrating to me. I miss the old days when you could think of some crazy user name and use it on every service you subscribed to. Now it never works. I'm lucky if I can get it to work on two of the main services I use.

I'm in a transitional phase where I've become disconnected from an identity defined by a user name. On the gaming server I frequent I now rotate between about 20-25 different names. Everything from ScaryName (for Halloween) to BakedPotato and TheFridge

Also, I think your name is great. Very INTP and easy to remember to boot.

severus

Local time
-->
Decaf, your avatar bothers me. Back to the marshmellows! :)
Only because I've seen it before, though.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
i don't think i've ever had a problem having my user name already taken (i use this name for just about everything, except WoW where i had a tauren with the unlikely name of Gaunt)

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
I took my favorite thing (science), my gender (lady), and my favorite number (38). To come up with my pass word I -----. ----- nobody try to figure it out. It's pretty impossible anyway, but I'm talking to a forum of INTPs here, so maybe not.

EDIT BY JESIN: Are you sure you should be giving out information about your password like that? People don't break passwords by guessing them manually one at a time. They write scripts to do it for them. What you just said makes your password much easier to break.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
-->
A selection of letters, (almost) randomly selected from the name creator in Tony Hawks Under Ground.

Anling

Local time
Yesterday 11:50 PM
-->
It's my name from Chinese class, means tranquil spirit. It fits me pretty well and it sounds nice.

Local time
Yesterday 11:50 PM
-->
I picked mine without regard for ingenuity or gaming because I'm far from creative and not at all into gaming. That being said, it is me in my purest form, I need no one, I'm above most in intellect (which, as we all are, this is not meant to sound arrogent) and I prefer to go against the grain whenever possible. This whole logic thing that we INTP's so dominately exude is the very thing I cannot relate to. I can always figure "it" out, but I can come to those conclusions by the most diverse way possible and always end up confusing those I try to explain it to. Is that normal? Can anyone vouch for that similarity? It seems to me to be the most logical at the time, but I'm discovering as I fumble through life that their sense of logic and mine are very different.

Sylzarra

Local time
-->
Well Syl means wind and Zarra means Lightning. Put them together you have a nice storm(at best)/hurricane(at worst). I guess it describes the state of my thoughts and the speed at which things get thrown in and out of my pondering at times. In addition I feel exhilarated when its windy and thundering outside. It's humbling and awe inspiring.

snowyashes

Local time
-->
Kind of lame, but I wrote a song a few years ago, and it was actually somewhat good, which was completely surprising (and exciting), and it was called "Snowy Ashes"... as others have said, I made a username on some website with it (I think it was a writing website, which made sense, of course), and I've been using it since, because the name I had previously been using included a sport which I no longer participate in, and snowyashes is extremely uncommon. Plus it just sounds cool.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
Well, my first nick on the internet used to be Pizaro, after a villain of the ancient NES game Dragon Quest IV. Well, he surely kicked ass.

saro.jpg

But after some years the name got boring and I decided to pick a new one. Because I often ponder on things like names or avatars, it had to be something special. So on one day I found the article about the ancient philosopher Ant(h)isthenes, the founder of Cynics, by chance and I thought "Hey, that would be a decent name for me - but it is too long, too complicated...". In a weird moment of epiphany then, Star Wars crossed my mind - Wedge Antilles, the greatest pilot of the rebellion! So, in this point of time, Anthile was born.
I think it's a nick that represents very good the two contrary sides of the person who hides behind the name - insanity and hypersanity.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
Ummm. Sage= wise, smart, kick-ass-burn-everything-to-the-ground-class-in-FE.
Wolf= Canis Lupus, large canine mammal native to Europe and North America, lives in packs, carnivorous, evolutionary ancestor of the domesticated dog, species which a have a slight obsession with.

There. Simple. I've almost never encountered it being taken, either, except on LJ and Gmail. (I'm not sagewolf on DA, either, but I joined DA before I came up with sagewolf.)

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
My name is related to Matsuo Basho,and I decided to use it because I can recognize myself in it's meaning.

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
Kind of lame, but I wrote a song a few years ago, and it was actually somewhat good, which was completely surprising (and exciting), and it was called "Snowy Ashes"... as others have said, I made a username on some website with it (I think it was a writing website, which made sense, of course), and I've been using it since, because the name I had previously been using included a sport which I no longer participate in, and snowyashes is extremely uncommon. Plus it just sounds cool.

But your name (or that song) wouldn't have anything to do with "A breath of snow and Ashes" from Diana Gabaldon? (Part 5 or 6, dunno exactly, of a novel series, each beyond 700, some around 1200 pages ;) )

Ogion

Carinthian

Local time
-->
Erm its a land, and a person from a land with such name would be called a carinthian. har.

Local time
-->
it is the title of the english coursework i was procrastinating as i stumbled upon the forum.

(not the official title, but thats what i labeled mine)

saro.jpg

IS THAT A CODPIECE

FF

This ain't no disco.
Local time
-->
The literal translation of Depeche Mode from French to English is "Fast Fashion."

And Depeche Mode is my absolute favorite band of all time.

So there you go. :)

Local time
-->
"And Depeche Mode is my absolute favorite band of all time.
So there you go."

REALLY? i honestly hadn't guessed :p

didn't know about the name though

FF

This ain't no disco.
Local time
-->
LOL but yeah, they got it from a French magazine apparently.

Right now I'm wearing the t-shirt from their last tour.

I'm not obsessed, I SWEAR!!

snowyashes

Local time
-->

But your name (or that song) wouldn't have anything to do with "A breath of snow and Ashes" from Diana Gabaldon? (Part 5 or 6, dunno exactly, of a novel series, each beyond 700, some around 1200 pages ;) )

Ogion

Nope... I've never heard of them. Sounds interesting, though... what are they about?

Artifice Orisit

Cognisant = to think, be thinking

A succinct autobiography in a single word
Cogito ergo sum Cognisant

Top Bottom