• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why ASMR works?

Local time
Today 12:14 PM
-->
So I know this is a seriously old topic but today I had this sudden thought: what if ASMR works because the sounds you hear are very similar to sounds a baby might hear when in the womb during development and this triggers some sort of psychological feeling of calmness? Perhaps this could be tested by seeing if responses to ASMR appear at an early age. And yes this is just a wild postulation so feel free to disagree.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:14 AM
-->
The sound of someone masticating or masturbating with the microphone does not make me feel calm, quite the opposite in fact

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
When I was in the womb, I don't recall ever having heard someone sucking on a microphone or chewing food with their mouth open.

We all know why ASMR "works". It's an excuse to watch hot girls making sounds soaked in sexual innuendo.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 9:44 PM
-->
I don't think it's a womb thing, but I don't think it's a physical attraction thing either (though that almost certainly helps their popularity). I find it somewhat appealing, something about the clarity of the sounds is nice, but I don't experience eargasms from it like some report.

IIRC @Lot was into it? He might be able to elaborate.

Deleted member 1424

The sound of someone masticating or masturbating with the microphone does not make me feel calm, quite the opposite in fact

Finally another asmr 'misophonic.' I can barely handle more than a few seconds of asmr videos before seeing red.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:14 AM
-->
^ Doesn't work for me either - in fact I find it bloody irritating to both listen to and watch. I cannot stand people whispering in my ear either because I don't experience the intimacy and other-person-body-related things anywhere near my personal space as pleasant.

Edit: There is actually a paper on it...

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Today 5:14 AM
-->
I don't think it's a womb thing, but I don't think it's a physical attraction thing either (though that almost certainly helps their popularity). I find it somewhat appealing, something about the clarity of the sounds is nice, but I don't experience eargasms from it like some report.

IIRC @Lot was into it? He might be able to elaborate.

Not really into it. But hey, thanks for the random mention. I never got the appeal. I tried, but just can't get the satisfaction.

Local time
-->
When I was in the womb, I don't recall ever having heard someone sucking on a microphone or chewing food with their mouth open.

We all know why ASMR "works". It's an excuse to watch hot girls making sounds soaked in sexual innuendo.

I disagree, I am a girl and I watch ASMR. Of food.
Well, perhaps there is a trend in hedonism after all.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today 8:14 AM
-->
Wtf is ASMR - comments in this thread make me fear searching for it.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 11:14 PM
-->
ASMR is actually rage-inducing

only bad people like it

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 6:14 AM
-->
Sometimes when listening to music I get a full body tingling sensation that is euphoric. never got that feeling from an asmr video. I feel nothing from those.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Today 5:14 AM
-->
Sometimes when listening to music I get a full body tingling sensation that is euphoric. never got that feeling from an asmr video. I feel nothing from those.

Music is good for that. I used to get that all the time when I smoked pot. Now I just get it from a few songs :(

Graznel

Local time
Today 2:14 PM
-->
ASMR from youtube videos never worked for me, but I experienced a strong weird snesation when someone was chewing loudly in a library. Initially I was annoyed, but at some point I felt paralysed with pleasure. It feels similar to a big dose of N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine (a dopamine precursor) for me. So ASMR sometimes works, and when it does is scarily intense.

Top Bottom