• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why are you here?

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
Today 1:55 AM
-->
In the center of the world. (As opposed to the ear
What are you gaining from being on this forum? Why do you spend time reading the opinions of others and responding deeply, intelligently, coherently?

To take it a step further, why do you enjoy the social interaction that you do? What makes that valuable?

(And now I go get some salsa, because I'm hungry and I'm craving. If only I had some non-stale chips...)

.L

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
Today 2:55 AM
-->
I suppose I'm trying to understand myself better. I find my social life to be disappointing at best.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 7:55 PM
-->
Escapism :p

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I don't know, why would black sheep want to form a flock? Pure delight in finding other black sheep? :-)

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:55 AM
-->
Id say i enjoy activities with people who play the same game by the same rules as me, even if in the oposite team ;).

Frosty

Local time
Today 5:55 PM
-->
Id say i enjoy activities with people who play the same game by the same rules as me, even if in the oposite team ;).
+1 ... "thought for thought's sake" with a measure of emotional detachment makes a nice change ... most people I know don't enjoy a good argument (something wrong with them I reckon!).

Thread Killer

Never-Around Member
Local time
-->
I'm honestly just here to see how much better I can click with INTPs than INFPs, how much more I can relate to their train of thought, how different this forum is compared to INTPc, etc. I honestly think I can relate best to the people here versus the fluffiness of the INFP forum and the "if I'm kind I must have cooties" attitude on the other INTP forum. People seem more themselves and I feel at ease myself and I feel much more confident in my type.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 12:55 AM
-->
Curiosity. Debate. A bit of boredom?

Internet people cannot become a burden like real life people can. You can just exchange ideas, no strings attached.

murkrow

Local time
-->
I can't find an answer to this question which isn't vulgar.

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I can't find an answer to this question which isn't vulgar.
Come on, we can deal with vulgarity, we do everyday dont we?

Olba

Local time
Today 8:55 AM
-->
What are you gaining from being on this forum? Why do you spend time reading the opinions of others and responding deeply, intelligently, coherently?

I'm not so sure, but some part of the reason in my case would be what an INTP friend of mine said. She said that she once visited an INTP forum and was amazed at all the geniusity of the INTP community. Maybe, just maybe, I wanted to see this for myself. However, I dislike huge communities, such as the INTPCentral, so I picked this one.

To take it a step further, why do you enjoy the social interaction that you do? What makes that valuable?

Because it's not really social? After all, if I spend most of my time home, writing on forums, people will say that I'm anti-social or have no social life. Therefore, at least on a general level, forums are not on the same scale of social as the other, more directly social life.

And I don't need to enjoy something to do it. It's not a definition nor a fact. I don't really post that often, therefore it would seem that I don't enjoy this place as much as I could.

Value? Well, it's a way of spending time.

Local time
-->
I want to understand myself better.

I kind of want to meet some INTPs just to see what it's like. So far, I only know one. Though I know that we aren't the most social group in society I wonder what would happen at an INTP convention, assuming that people actually showed up.

Yank

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 11:55 PM
-->
I want to understand myself better.

I kind of want to meet some INTPs just to see what it's like. So far, I only know one. Though I know that we aren't the most social group in society I wonder what would happen at an INTP convention, assuming that people actually showed up.

Ditto. Although, I don't know a single INTP, which is why I just joined this forum to begin with. I'd like to see if others share my unique (and sometimes painful) personality traits.

re: convention
I'm not sure too many INTPs would show up at a convention. I'd wager there would be plenty of special interest recruiters though.

Local time
-->
It's too bad that more of us wouldn't show up. I think it would be interesting to see what happens among 1000+ INTPs. I would almost think many of us would show up just to see if our theories about what would happen were correct.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
Today 6:55 AM
-->
I don't know...
I like being somewhere where threads aren't closed for being argumentative or bringing stuff out in the open, yet they can be resolved.

I like feeling as if I'm the sort of member a place like this would have.

I'm feeling a little bummed, because another forum of my interest seems unsuited for me...
It seems like I'm coming back here now, because I don't feel it's as threatening as other places and people won't think I'm troublesome or impossible and vice versa.

And I don't feel like I can be left out of some great forum joke and/or epic past. And I don't have to feel left out, because I'm not one of those center members who have all the respect and minions for their great people skills.

I half expect I won't get this place in the end either...

Last edited:

salvage

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm here to find stimulation from like-minded individuals and also to learn more about myself and others.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
Because I like arguing, and breaking people, as well as talking to 'the others'.

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
-->
as you read this, and sit there comfortably, you realise your eyes are getting heavy.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
Yeah well my hearts kinda heavy.
Like magnesium...

LeftenantWalker

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Talking to new people, reading their ideas and opinion therefore the way they think, chat with ppl similar to be etc

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
Ouch. that hurt me all the way over here.....

Oh and also I'm here to aid my plans for world domination.

You did not read that.
In fact you are too tired to read anything.
GO BACK TO SLEEP.
and give me your wallet.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Braaaaaaains...

Because I wanted to revive a dying forum with potential to be something exceptional.

(and I did!)

Now, because I want to reap what I have sown, and partake in its exceptionalness.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Presently, I'm here because it's fun. Some of the posts I find dull, some I find insulting, some I find inarticulate; but, many are fantastic and thought-provoking.

It's just one of the many places I visit online, and isn't necessarily more stimulating than some of the others. But, it's stimulating in a different way.

Dave

Local time
-->
I am here because the people that I was involved with as of two days ago pissed me off daily because of their illogic and addiction to emotion. I needed a place to exist that I wouldn't be harped on for acting the way that I am supposed to. Now, I am in a different situation, so... I am in the forum now because I have grown to appreciate that people here are actually smarter than me, not something that happens often...

Aphasia

Local time
Today 2:55 PM
-->
Because it's the least hostile forum I've found on the internet.
Also, sometimes people here (I think) get what I say.

Is magnesium light or heavy? I can't remember since the scale which I use to measure heaviness (relative density to water- lighter? heavier?) is eclipsed by the fact that magnesium reacts with it to form magnesium hydroxide and hydrogen (it was entertaining to watch) :\

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 7:55 PM
-->
I'm here to see Melkor's heart burn like magnesium... I can see it on the scales, and a deluge of sorrow, and the fizzle! The flare! Fried by water! Thanks guys for the visual poetry of those posts.

Wisp has a great point. Was a time you could count the active posters here on one hand - with fingers to spare. That was one of the reasons I found it so refreshing, and kept checking in. In large groups individual voices all get lost except for the loud and persistent ones. I am neither of those things (when it comes to communicating anyways). I like to be heard and to listen, first time. The proportion of respect, humour and insight is higher here than many places, and it hasn't yet become a leviathan of mediocrity.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Yup... I'd be able to go to every thread and post at the end... It was kind of refreshing seeing my name everywhere... Yay egotism!

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
*peeks in*

Hello? ECHO ECho echo!!

I am new as of August 2008 to this forum but I surely hope it keeps going. I've enjoyed a great deal of the posts I've read.

So...alone or not? :eek:

It started to really slow on this forum when I started posting here.

Corolation? :rolleyes:

Maybe if you start a really inflamatory thread everyone will come out to play. :D

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You are not allowed to ask for new posts untill you have read ALL of the old ones! :p
/jk

Worry not, this wont die anytime soon. It just looks like INTPs like to read more than they like to write :D

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
Today 5:55 PM
-->
On most forums I can't stop posting; here however, I have this overwhelming urge to just read and refresh the index :)

Aphasia

Local time
Today 2:55 PM
-->
You are not allowed to ask for new posts untill you have read ALL of the old ones! :p
/jk

I still want my eyes :rolleyes:.

Worry not, this wont die anytime soon. It just looks like INTPs like to read more than they like to write :D

True. That may also explain the amount of people who post fairly often compared to the actual number of members. Either that, or they lost interest in this forum.

Local time
-->
I am here because the people that I was involved with as of two days ago pissed me off daily because of their illogic and addiction to emotion. I needed a place to exist that I wouldn't be harped on for acting the way that I am supposed to. Now, I am in a different situation, so... I am in the forum now because I have grown to appreciate that people here are actually smarter than me, not something that happens often...
This is very, very similar to why I am here.

grettiron

Redshirt
Local time
-->

you mean there are plenty of lurkers? nooooo...

i'm here because i read a couple threads and would laugh out loud because a post would resonate with me. the shit i find funny does not generally amuse others i know. usually just results in strange looks.

Also, this is hilarious:
"Internet people cannot become a burden like real life people can. You can just exchange ideas, no strings attached."

Artifice Orisit

Seems a lot of people have accepted the extroverted viewpoint that we introverts must be anti-social. Being an introvert doesn’t mean that at all; I'll talk for hours provided I'm discussing a topic that complex. Introverts are just people who talk for a purpose.

And yes I understand the non-conformist streak that keeps INTPs from seeking something to belong to. However after considering only 1% of people are INTPs the concept of non-conformity is pointless with regards to this forum. That and we're all weird, in a good way.

mopo1

Local time
-->
Curiosity. Debate. A bit of boredom?

Internet people cannot become a burden like real life people can. You can just exchange ideas, no strings attached.

Very true and the added bonus is you don't have to for the most of the time clean up messes left by Internet arguments.:D

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
really? I woulda sworn you just wanted to find an INTP girl to nom on.

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
We represent a tiny percentage of people. I don't have any friends who are even close to my personality type. We're all banded together because we're introverts and like acedemic subjects in general. But none are INTP. I made them take the test. Sure, they're around there, but one of them is actually an ISTJ. I don't know her very well, though.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I'm here to see Melkor's heart burn like magnesium... I can see it on the scales, and a deluge of sorrow, and the fizzle! The flare! Fried by water! Thanks guys for the visual poetry of those posts.

Wisp has a great point. Was a time you could count the active posters here on one hand - with fingers to spare. That was one of the reasons I found it so refreshing, and kept checking in. In large groups individual voices all get lost except for the loud and persistent ones. I am neither of those things (when it comes to communicating anyways). I like to be heard and to listen, first time. The proportion of respect, humour and insight is higher here than many places, and it hasn't yet become a leviathan of mediocrity.

Hard to believe I've been here since December 2007. It was quite a lonely, yet intriguing abyss back then. Anyway, it's great that after these 10 months, I'm still not bored, and I still don't feel like an old veteran.

Spud147

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm here because I just took the test because I'm having trouble with a co-worker... I seem to constantly offend her but don't know why. She is very sensitive and gets her feelings hurt if I don't socialize enough. Being social at work is a learned behavior for me. I'm good at the schmoozing on the job but am not able to really "let people in" and don't really want to get involved with co-worker's personal lives outside of work.

Anyway, I found out I was INTP and it gave me a lot of insite about how other's might perceive me. In reading further and finding out how uncommon this personality type is I wanted to learn more, so here I am.

My struggle is that people seem to want to be around me more than I want to be around them. I don't want to hurt feelings, does anyone have any advice on how to handle these kinds of situations graciously (especially in a professional office environment)?

nihilen.

Local time
Today 8:55 AM
-->
I just found out about this personality type concept thingie yesterday.

Well, it's out of curiosity...And boredom. But mainly curiosity.

I am still very skeptic about all this though.

Goodmaj

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I have taken this test 4 times now (since about 1990) and every time I get an INTP score. I score high in the 'N', but pretty midrange in the other three letters, so I guess I'm not really 'hard core'.

I am here to meet other folks like 'Me'. Once I worked with another INTP and never met anyone I liked better or who I could have more stimulating conversations with...

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
[I know it's very late... but I thought I'd give this question a little revival]

The reasons for why I've been here are:

For personal discovery. I learn a tremendous amount about myself just by reading about you guys. Often times someone will put into words the very thoughts that have never fully coagulated in my own mind. This place is like a house of mirrors, where each reflection I see shows me a different side of myself.

For more understanding. I love to sit at the feet of intelligent minds and just soak up all the knowledge they have. I've learned more from this site in three months than I have in years of schooling. Not only that, but a lot of the things I learn here are much more practical that what formal education offers.

For friendship's sake. There's an undeniable sense of acceptance in this forum that inevitably leads to friendships. Be they real life or not, they are no less genuine. You people are the most genuine group of people I've met. And still, so much is left undiscovered. I wish reality permitted me to get to know some of you better, but my curiosity will forever remain unsatisfied...:rolleyes:

Sapphire Harp

Local time
-->
I learn a tremendous amount about myself just by reading about you guys. Often times someone will put into words the very thoughts that have never fully coagulated in my own mind. This place is like a house of mirrors, where each reflection I see shows me a different side of myself.

That brilliant metaphor catches it perfectly.

I wish reality permitted me to get to know some of you better, but my curiosity will forever remain unsatisfied...:rolleyes:

Forever? I wouldn't be so certain... imagine being involved in this discussion forum for a decade or more. Who knows what might occur in such a time? Even the INTP can be sociable on a good day.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
(I thought I posted here already) O_o Oh well.

I find stimulating conversation here. In my school discussions are limited to 'what college are you going to' and 'did you see (insert crappy soap opera here) last night', so this place is a breath of fresh air. I find myself thinking more and understanding myself better (brilliant metaphor, Auburn, BTW) since I joined and started posting. So, yeah. That's what I get.

dbtng_thomas

Local time
-->
I took the DISC assessment recently. I was not impressed. I'm high D. The end product was a list of recommendations about how I really need to invest more in empathy, especially with certain types of touchy-feely people. Ok, I don't argue the truth of that, but I knew it already. No big surprise there. I'm sure DISC is useful to some folks, but the grade I got on it pretty much just said, "You're a jerk." and "Stop being a jerk." It was probably productive, but I rejected it's conclusion out of hand, so it felt like wasted time.

I had a completely different reaction to the Myers Briggs evaluation. I ran the test last week. I fit the INTP mold in a very pronounced way so I did some reading about it. Until then, the best label I had for my odd combination of behaviors and traits was 'manic depressive', which still might be true, but doesn't explain the whole picture. I was shocked by the several documents linked from INTP.ORG. They all seemed to describe me so completely and objectively, far more accurately than I could do myself. The articles about INTPs I read all told me real and useful things about myself.

After consuming all the articles I could find online, I found this forum so I could learn about myself and see what other INTPs did with their self-knowledge. This looks like a nice spot to roost for a while; interesting people, mostly polite, and _very_ unusual conversations.

Top Bottom