• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Who is a foreigner?

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 11:31 AM
-->
An INTP posts on a forum. The first person he meets is another INTP from a different country. They talk about everything under the sun (after first questioning whether there is anything as "under" the sun or not), around it, and above it.

The INTP meets a person from the same country. This person is not an INTP. The common topic of their country causes them to hit it off. They talk about the INTP's robot-like behaviour and the other person's quirks, and come away from the conversation not understanding each other, happily accepting that that will always be the case.

The INTP meets a person from a different country. This person is not an INTP. They are very happy to know that they are very different from one another and talk a lot. The more they talk to each other, the more they respect each other and are glad that the other person exists in the known universe, while at the same time maintaining a disdain for the other person, each believing that s/he is the superior one despite the need for the other's existence.

The INTP meets a person from the same country. This person is yet another INTP. But for some reason, they do not talk. It seems very weird. Very awkward. They should talk, shouldn't they? But they don't. They are too similar, or perhaps too different in a way they cannot fathom.

Who, then, was a foreigner to the INTP?

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 8:31 PM
-->
No one because the INTP is from outer space.

Or
They all live on the same Earth, therefore no one is a foreigner

gruesomebrat

Biking in pursuit of self...
Local time
Yesterday 11:31 PM
-->
I must assume that this is a parable on par with Jesus' story about the good samaritan. It reads much the same way, and seems to come up with the same conclusion.

The foreigner is the other INTP from the same country.

Now, since I'm assuming this is a parable, I shall sit back and wait for the moral of the story.

EvilScientist Trainee

Science Advisor
Local time
Today 12:31 AM
-->
Moral: Borders are nothing but arbritary lines. We're all one tribe, man. As long we share experiences, we're all human.

*turns off hippie mode before getting beaten by the government*

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:31 PM
-->
Neither country nor personality type are bridgers, openness to folks is. Especially with America, people think there is this solidarity; this only exists in their imaginations.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 4:31 AM
-->
The scenarios are flawed and unlikely, therefore, in my opinion, it does not represent a valid "lesson". What is "foreign" is always what is "different".

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 11:31 AM
-->
gruesomebrat said:
The foreigner is the other INTP from the same country.

Now, since I'm assuming this is a parable, I shall sit back and wait for the moral of the story.

Nope.

Everybody is a foreigner, yet nobody is a foreigner.

But yet there is no one answer. Even I could be wrong. Then again, there's a good chance that I'm right.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 4:31 PM
-->
I'm a foreigner in my own body.

Argh! I just looked at my own reflection.

Local time
Today 4:31 AM
-->
Top Bottom