• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Which tv series are you watching?

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 8:34 AM
-->
I'm currently watching Chernobyl which I enjoy. Pretty engaging show which also reminds you of how fragile society is if there is a catastrophe. Or how people tend to dismiss issues they don't want to be real. If there is ever a show to reminds us how fucked up things are, this is it

lightfire

Local time
Today 1:34 AM
-->
wow that sounds awesome. i will watch that

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:34 AM
-->
Last time I watched a tv series was a couple of years ago, but that time I watched “The Knick”, which is arguably the best thing I’ve ever seen. A true masterpiece.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I hate fake audiences and that's mostly what I think of TV.

Viaterum Orbis

Game Master this time
Local time
Today 2:34 AM
-->
Chernobyl is awesome, altough I'm a couple episodes behind. The Knick is also, but the ending was quite lame...

Currently I'm waiting for the last season of Mr. Robot and the next of Westworld. Super hyped for both, totally recommended.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 4:34 PM
-->
Barry

It’s truly a masterpiece.

I finished it (so far) about a couple weeks ago, as it was running simultaneous to GoT. Easily the best series on TV IMO. Better than The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, the Wire, Horace and Pete, and even [sneers] Game of Thrones.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:34 PM
-->
I am severely bored with visual media, bored with being fed pre-fabricated imagery. Currently, I am finding more satisfaction in audiobooks and contemporary experimental music as these seem to provide me with some kind of autonomous mind imagery. Just generally bored with mindless "entertainment". Almost like a rebellious refusal of other-generated dictation of what I should be enjoying.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
[sneers] Game of Thrones.

I've never seen a full episode of that show, but I'm a loner and don't have anyone to watch it with. That's what people do, right? Watch TV shows and movies with people? Sorry for the obscurity, I am trying.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 11:34 PM
-->
Yeah, I have no one to watch it with. I could almost imagine being in a relationship or having friends to throw TV viewing parties/gatherings with, or something. A relationship especially then wouldn't just be waiting all day to go to sleep together that night out of excitement. The more things you can relate to the better, although, it shouldn't be a competition especially between you and your romantic partner to see who is the best at something or who is more familiar with what set of knowledge. Awkward bonding can have unpredictable results, probably.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
-->
i kinda had time when watching tv shows with people (i was 20-21) I remember firefly and bing bang theory? actually it was + beer + getting stoned. I don't miss it at all.

As for tv shows now i had a go with Chernobyl and The Kinks. Watched first episodes.

I don't know if this is a question of sensitivity or a long lack of contact with television (a few years) or something else - but - both shows have caused a great deal of anxiety in me. The authors accumulated in them so many unpleasant sensory stimuli and themes that I had to rewind.

They are really fighting for the viewer as much as they can. ;-)

I will continue watching 1st episode of shows from this thread and my small list composed from reddit recommendations for infp and intj to keep an eye on what entertainment is now popular.

TV show I watched the whole season (and enjoyed it - 0 forcing myself to finish!) is Anne. I'm a little afraid that 2 is not so good anymore so I do not watch. :p
If someone know a show with a similar warm atmosphere and acting level, tell me. thanks

Viaterum Orbis

Game Master this time
Local time
-->
Maybe 'Stan Against Evil'? I only saw season one, it's a mixup between a sitcom and survival horror series. There's also 'The Orville'; some weird copy of Star Trek I've heard about.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 11:34 PM
-->
Daredevil, on Netflix

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
I think the last time I watched drama it was Rome on HBO. That was pretty good watch. Otherwise I dont like drama or too serious stuff. Like I totally got bored with game of thrones and I pushed through with episodes, because I thought Id like fantasy and maybe just few of the episodes are boring and it will get better as the story develops, but it didnt.
Chernobyl is about a real event, but its actually not real at all. I mean I hate stuff thats about real world stuff and you know its all a fairytale.

Kormak

The IT barbarian - eNTP - 6w7-4-8 so/sx
Local time
Today 9:34 AM
-->
;) the Germans sure know how to make a good series:

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I think the last time I watched drama it was Rome on HBO. That was pretty good watch.

I coincidentally watched Rome s1 recently. What did you like about it? Why did you like it if you don't like that type of shows normally?

I think they did a good job of portraying sociopaths aka atia (was that her name?)

;) the Germans sure know how to make a good series:

Have 1 episode left of Dark season 2. I guess I'm kinda at the I wont know whether this is good or bad until I see the ending stage. There's a lot of work behind it, though, daym.

Kormak

Local time
-->
Have 1 episode left of Dark season 2. I guess I'm kinda at the I wont know whether this is good or bad until I see the ending stage. There's a lot of work behind it, though, daym.

:p last ep was gr8, she was getting really annoying, finally someone shut her up.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
:p last ep was gr8, she was getting really annoying, finally someone shut her up.

My first thought after watching the last episode was:

Daym, this is never gonna end, is it? Throwing in parallel universes or what is, piling up complexities. I fear it's moving towards milking this series for however long they profit from it. It kinda didn't seem like throwing parallel universes/ timelines was part of the original plot, that it's just a way to extend the show. I hope I'm wrong, but I guess I've gotten kinda cynical and pessimistic about television.

lightfire

Local time
-->
The show I'm watching keeps doing that every season, just bring up something from it's history that somehow ties into the original plot just to extend the show.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
Archer. Gave it a shot many years ago, didn't like it. Tried it again, and now I realize I used to have shit taste.

Kormak

Local time
-->
It wouldn't surprise me. Many gr8 shows tend to die due to this reason around season 2 or 4.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
I coincidentally watched Rome s1 recently. What did you like about it? Why did you like it if you don't like that type of shows normally?

I think they did a good job of portraying sociopaths aka atia (was that her name?)

Back at the time I remember I though it was very convincing in developing characters in the historical context. I think a lot of it was great and the ambienc of the whole movie and the drama tone they set was pretty interesting. I dont like movies like it, especially I hate drama. Drama for drama even more. But I liked it in sense the drama was kind of real and meaningful. Lots of tragedy and shit, but I guess those times people didnt have it easy.
Here is good review of the series by History Buffs if you like, and he goes into great detail about the show. Spoilers obviously...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTmgHCVWgg

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->

Back at the time I remember I though it was very convincing in developing characters in the historical context. I think a lot of it was great and the ambienc of the whole movie and the drama tone they set was pretty interesting. I dont like movies like it, especially I hate drama. Drama for drama even more. But I liked it in sense the drama was kind of real and meaningful. Lots of tragedy and shit, but I guess those times people didnt have it easy.
Here is good review of the series by History Buffs if you like, and he goes into great detail about the show. Spoilers obviously...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTmgHCVWgg

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->

Have you tried watching like rectify, sopranos, breaking bad? Rectify being my favorite of those

I enjoy series that I find are able to portray people's feelings and functioning and how that can lead them to behave as they do, even when horribly. I'm kinda curious as to whether the current Joker film is able to pull that off in a good way. I guess generally, I find it hard to enjoy a tv series where characters are lacking in... like being actual people... I also usually take that as an indicator of whether a show is going to be good or not. Generally if the men and women are all 10/10 models running around in sexy clothing, you're not gonna get depth of story or original characters. It's gonna be bland, annoying characters that do stupid shit.

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
-->
I'm watching vikings, just finished episode 1. I feel like I'm in for a treat, fuck yeah.

Rolling Cattle

no backbone
Local time
-->
I'm breaking the rules because it's not a series. Extraordinary homes on Netflix. I don't like to think I'm a person who's easily amazed by things, but I'm easily amazed by the homes on this show for some reason.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Finished Mr. Robot (USA) last week. Pretty much one of my favorite things I've seen and helped cushion the crap of bad TV and film series endings in 2019. I'm glad it existed, despite Season 2 losing its way for awhile. Provocative and moving, and protagonists I can relate to, I never really knew what would happen next. Music was great too.

The Good Place (NBC) -- it's amusing, and a sneaky way to slip basic philosophical and ethical discussions into the very broad mainstream pop culture sphere.

The Righteous Gemstones (HBO) -- Pretty much a rip of modern South Baptist + Evangelical culture, but manages to do it with some heart/affection despite its cynicism.

His Dark Materials (HBO) -- Well, I had been pretty excited over this after the watered-down The Golden Compass 12-15 years back, but so far it's almost had the opposite problem in being rather boring while truer to the text.

Watchmen (HBO) -- This actually ended up being a decent watch, playing off the old graphic novel and incorporating ideas and imagery but updated with racism instead of nuclear war as the major social threat of our day. I also like that the story wrapped up and there might not be another season... Some of the problem with series today is an unwillingness to actually just have a clear story to tell and then getting off.

The Outsider looks like it might be better than the Stephen King book. I want to get back to watching Barry, I've only seen a few episodes. And I missed Chernobyl but everyone thought it was great. Also interested in watching Dark, as well as The Expanse. Better Call Saul Season 5 airs in Feb.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
recently: Raised by Wolves, The Expanse, Farscape, Adventure Time.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
The Good Place (NBC) -- it's amusing, and a sneaky way to slip basic philosophical and ethical discussions into the very broad mainstream pop culture sphere.
Watched a lot of the episodes. I agree that it's slipping philosophical & ethical concepts into kids' minds. However, I thought that the way it presented those concepts and applied them, was very interesting and thought-provoking.

I particularly like how the ethics professor can't make his mind up about anything, because on any issue, he knows that different theories of philosophy & ethics dictate different decisions.

His Dark Materials (HBO) -- Well, I had been pretty excited over this after the watered-down The Golden Compass 12-15 years back, but so far it's almost had the opposite problem in being rather boring while truer to the text.
I was riveted. But yes, it gets quite boring in places, and the story can be quite hapahazard. Makes sense once you've read the background that would probably come in series 4 or 5. But they've not made it that far.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Fort Salem - Great story about if witches were real, and were in America since 1776, and the witches agreed to fight America's wars in return for witches not being persecuted.

Witch society is matriarchal. So the women are the powerful ones. Consequently, the women witches have to go to war. Lots of them don't want to go and risk losing their lives, or spend their lives fighting wars and never seeing their children grow up.

Because women witches are the powerful ones, women witches are bred for their genes, and it's the women witches who make them do this. At one point, Abigail's mother says she has to pick a husband from the ones selected for her. She says she's being treated like a brood mare.

12 Monkeys - Lots of complications due to time travel. Very intricate. Very difficult to follow.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Watched Severance, pretty entertaining.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 4:04 PM
-->
Currently watching Future Diary (battle royale anime). The protagonist is annoying but the premise is fun and they're pretty bold with the plot. I kind of expect the ending to suck because I think at the quality it has been I would have heard more about it before now.

I recently watched Sonny Boy (surrealist anime) which felt like Studio Ghibly meets Lost? This was very interesting with only perhaps one weak episode.

Before that I watched Peace Maker, which is a spinoff of the excellent The Suicide Squad (I've never seen "The" do so much work in differentiation). John Cena is a trailer park white-supremacist(ish) superhero with his sociopathic sidekick Vigilante. It's not mindblowing, and neither of my housemates liked it, but there is some charm to it.

Recently rewatched Invincible, then read the entire comic (which is substantial). This show had insanely high highs while being dragged down by some mediocre writing at times. The writers obviously really like comics and so while they're doing something exciting with the medium, they're still leaning into tropes I find stale (and which are handled with much more charm by recent spiderman movies). That all said, the highs are so impossibly high this is one of my favorite series of all time.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Watched Severance, pretty entertaining.
Severance is one of the best shows I have seen in recent months. Great production quality. I ended up binging the last half of the season and look forward to Season 2. It's also good the creator has a sense of where the series is going and says he can adjust the story to fit 3 seasons up to 6 seasons, depending on what they want to produce. Also some high-quality actors involved... and Adam Scott is showing his ability to do nuanced work.

Before that I watched Peace Maker, which is a spinoff of the excellent The Suicide Squad (I've never seen "The" do so much work in differentiation). John Cena is a trailer park white-supremacist(ish) superhero with his sociopathic sidekick Vigilante. It's not mindblowing, and neither of my housemates liked it, but there is some charm to it.

Recently rewatched Invincible, then read the entire comic (which is substantial). This show had insanely high highs while being dragged down by some mediocre writing at times. The writers obviously really like comics and so while they're doing something exciting with the medium, they're still leaning into tropes I find stale (and which are handled with much more charm by recent spiderman movies). That all said, the highs are so impossibly high this is one of my favorite series of all time.

Peacemaker was like you said -- pretty enjoyable and off the rails, although nothing extraordinary. I got some laughs out of it. Felt a little long, but I don't begrudge that.

Invincible, I had never read the comic, so it was all new to me. I found the early episodes kind of tropey too and kind of boring, although the end of episode 1 was shocking (and where it kicked in for me). It tended to get better as it went, and the final few episodes were bonkers. I don't really know where it goes after this, but that was all nuts and pretty insightful. I like Atom Eve otherwise, she's the voice of normalcy.

I actually favor The Boys more at this point, Season 2 was a little weaker than Season 1, but Season 3 feels like they finally found their sweet spot. I had read a little bit of the actual comic and it felt just kinda flat and nihilistic, they've done a better job at giving the characters actual arcs in the show.

Barry is one of my favorite TV series. Sometimes I watch it from Hulu.
That's a show I need to get back to finish. I really enjoyed the first few episodes, and I've heard Season 3 is stellar.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
Hey Jenny!

The boys is pretty great - I haven't seen any of S3 yet. I agree that S1>S2, and I've heard the comic is not as good. Invincible comic is quite rich, that's probably the most exciting thing - There's a lot of good content to go. It's interesting to see that both adaptations are probably better than their originals.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Hey Jenny :)

Currently watching Bojack Horseman, a netflix animated series.

The strengths of the show lie in its strong character writing. Even a lot of the minor characters are really well done. The only main character I really can’t get into is Todd. I appreciate the show needs some comic relief he just doesn’t feel like a real person I can relate to, he feels like a ‘cartoon character’ amidst a sea of more real people.

I typically don't like TV series as I don't like watching filler. That happens here more than I'd like, but the best episodes are excellent and genuinely emotionally impactful. I like that regardless of how dark the series becomes it does show moments of genuine redemption for the characters. That's true to life in my experience, of yes things can get really horrific, and yes, some people lead very tragic lives and don't get a happy ending. But there's glimmers of how they could've changed things with a lot of work, happiness isn't an illusion. That makes it more than just another "life is shit" narrative to me.

---

Watched "Smiling Friends" a while ago as well, an Adultswim comedy. It's great for completely different reasons. Adult animation that's not nihilistic, doesn't rely on crudeness, and is optimistic and light-hearted in tone. It feels like it's basically taking a shot at series like Bojack Horseman ironically. Very compact story-telling, filling lots of material and gags into 10 minute slots that feel like full-length 25 minute episodes. Lots of references to internet animation and humour. Especially loved the guy from Red Letter Media's appearance as this suicidal depressive who finds new meaning in life exterminating rodents. It's delivered with a lot more playfulness than it sounds.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
Bojack is the best show I never plan on watching again. Genuinely depressing stuff.

Smiling friends is on my list. The loosey goosey animation is a good direction IMO, I'm glad this sort of thing can get off the ground.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Bojack is the best show I never plan on watching again. Genuinely depressing stuff.

Smiling friends is on my list. The loosey goosey animation is a good direction IMO, I'm glad this sort of thing can get off the ground.

Yeah it is and it isn’t. Bojack, for example, is an asshole who I haven’t really seen take responsibility for his problems. That paints a narrative of change is an uphill struggle against ourselves and our environment. I haven’t really seen with any of the characters so far ‘no matter what you do you’re fucked.’

It’s worth watching Smiling Friends. For one thing it really doesn’t waste your time, the series is 80 minutes long and really condensed in material.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I stopped watching the boys s3. Episode 6 just show there is no direction forward. It's such a cop out shitty choice of an episode. Wouldn't surprise me if they end it on a cliffhanger and make a new season, because they don't have the will or wish to actually see things through. I lost all interest

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I finished Bojack Horseman. Overall, really good series and a satisfying finale. It's one of those rare shows that knows to finish when it's good and not ruin its legacy. Season 1 is the weakest season where I felt the show was finding its identity so I wouldn't give up based on this. I found season 5 dipped a bit in comparison to the others as well.

The stand-out episodes were definitely the penultimate ones of each series. Episode 11 of each series (episode 15 for the final series) all have wild, experimental styles, like emulating a drug trip or a near death experience. A lot of other episodes contain varied experimentation in form which is generally pulled off well, like Bojack just giving a monologue with no scene changes for a whole episode.

By far my favourite episode was where they chose to finally tell Bojack's Mum's life-story through the perspective of her dementia. That was so well written I was honestly floored and in tears most of it. Among the best television, drama-wise, that I've seen. There's a lot of filler throughout the series but this episode was perfect.

The show just seemed to pull off a combination of a lot of technical experimentation with form, strong character writing and emotionally impactful story-telling. It's sense of humour didn't tickle me as much, no laughs out loud for me. But it's very rare for media to pull this combination off convincingly so I think the show is deserving of its praise.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Just started watching:

1656632197812.png

Finished "Gaslit" on Starz and it was very good.
Holy cow, Year of the Rat is something ELSE!
A Psycho in prison plays with rats and its wild.
1656634093859.png

Season ended, waiting for the next one:
1656632267774.png

Completed watching every Twilight Zone show and have my four favorites now.
"Mirror Image" Season 1, Episode 21 (Like parallel realities)
"Monsters are Due on Maple Street" Season 1, Episode 22
"Two" was fantastic from Season 3, Episode 1.
The Bewitchin Pool from Season 5, Episode 36.

1656632359579.png

And I finished all available episodes of Squid Games. Looking for more to watch on Netflix, but I think I will cancel my subscription next month, not too much out there.

Watching Animal Kingdom on TNT.
Outlander series on Starz, CNN, and TCM.

I plan on watching 'Everything Everywhere All at Once" on July 4th and some good Westerns like the Naked Spur and The Gunfighter and "Paint your Wagon".

For some 70's nostalgia, and because I want to get the lessons in it,
catching up on the Kung Fu series:
1656633873882.png

Amazon Prime has "Maron", mildly funny, I don't know if I recommend it:
1656633828904.png

Wish they'd do more Doc Martin, this is Acorn TV, but I need more of it, he plays a doctor that possibly has Aspergers or Autism & has no manners but is abrupt, direct and fantastically brilliant and you learn about health and symptoms and its very insightful and humorous:
1656633532794.png

Quite a while ago, finished Californication and it was pretty good.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->

For Invincible, by the impossibly high highs are you referring to the ultraviolence stuff like at the end of episode 1? I thought I'd give this a try and I'm about 1/2 way through at the moment. I'm a bit meh at the moment but I will finish it as I know this is where the "Think, Mark, Think!" meme comes from. :p

The episodes feel unnecessarily bloated by a lot of mediocre content as you say and the concept feels like it's already been done. Alan Moore's run of the 1982 Miracleman series comes to mind: Miracleman has a lot of parallels with Omni-man's character arc so far and where it feels the story is taking him. It takes the shock value away for me as I feel like I've seen this before. Hopefully the latter half will subvert my expectations and shove my nerdy cynicism up my crusty asshole.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I watched both seasons of Undone recently. It's an animated series by the same creator as Bojack Horseman. The first season was a lot stronger than the second but you could watch it standalone.

It's about a young girl who has a near death experience and enters into a psychosis/ spiritual crises as a result. Like the dementia or more trippy episodes of Bojack, the first season is strong in its experimental story-telling. It tells the story first-person in a non-linear way mirroring the ways she's experiencing herself and her consciousness. I would say that's the main appeal of the show. I found the characters more flat than Bojack and for it to not have as much emotional depth.

The story leans on the "schizophrenics are shamans" trope too much I feel, taking influence from Mexican indigenous culture. While I find these topics interesting, I felt like the writers only had a superficial understanding of the source material, which made it feel a lot less realistic and powerful as how mental health topics were addressed in Bojack. Even if they were going for the purely spiritual perspective I feel they could've done more research into people's experiences.

I've had close friends with psychosis and while there can be a strong overlap with spirituality even if just in terms of how people perceive their experience it's a really complex topic. It would've been great if they could have approached it from more angles. The show did well with reviews, but I feel there's a more compelling story in there somewhere.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->

For Invincible, by the impossibly high highs are you referring to the ultraviolence stuff like at the end of episode 1? I thought I'd give this a try and I'm about 1/2 way through at the moment. I'm a bit meh at the moment but I will finish it as I know this is where the "Think, Mark, Think!" meme comes from. :p

The episodes feel unnecessarily bloated by a lot of mediocre content as you say and the concept feels like it's already been done. Alan Moore's run of the 1982 Miracleman series comes to mind: Miracleman has a lot of parallels with Omni-man's character arc so far and where it feels the story is taking him. It takes the shock value away for me as I feel like I've seen this before. Hopefully the latter half will subvert my expectations and shove my nerdy cynicism up my crusty asshole.

Yeah the ultraviolence, but it's entwined with the characters and plot and a lot of thought went into it. If it's not your thing that's cool. Agree on mediocre content, a lot of it is leading up to other stuff though so it's like groundwork in a sense.

I haven't read Miracleman but I did enjoy reading watchmen so I might give it a try.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->

Yeah the ultraviolence, but it's entwined with the characters and plot and a lot of thought went into it. If it's not your thing that's cool. Agree on mediocre content, a lot of it is leading up to other stuff though so it's like groundwork in a sense.

I haven't read Miracleman but I did enjoy reading watchmen so I might give it a try.

Yeah that’s okay, sorry if I crapped on it unnecessarily. I used to be really into Alan Moore and did my lit dissertation on him, so I think I was just being a bit of a nerd really. It’s not the same story but there are some parallels. I think you might like it.

Top Bottom