• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

where are we going as a society?

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
Today 12:25 AM
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
yesterday in Facebook some asian guy posted a picture of pig nose and ears in a restaurant, he asked if someone has tried them, he thought it was disgusting
i replied saying: yea we eat the whole thing, in china you eat rats and insects and no one says anything

then a lot of people started saying things like: hey respect, stupid comment, this guy is not chinese, not every asian looking guy is chinese, and so on

what i think is that it doesn't matter at all what i precisely said, it doesn't matter if i was accurate on my speech, i replied as a joke what i thought was true.
this doesn't mean i don't respect other cultures, it doesn't mean i'm not open to try rats, it doesn't mean i don't know the guy was not chinese.

My question is: why is everyone so obsessed about being politically correct even such simple scenarios.
were my words a racial hate speech? i don't think so man.
precisely by pointing out the differences in such an stereotypical kind of way we can preserve them and keep them separated. But it seems to me all the political correctness can only lead to a massive multicultural world where the powerful one will suck in all the others, now Project this scenario into the future, every piece of identity will just get blurry and more blurry and more blurry because of all the blend and filters and shit.

motto: meme the pain away.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 8:25 AM
-->
Microaggresions aren't microaggresions when you're not the victim. A joke is a joke, yes, but you're not in a private setting when you're posting that kind of stuff on facebook. Political correctness might not be useful or fun in a domestic setting, but when you're on an international forum like facebook (if you have friends from all over the world), being kind in that manner is usually a form of etiquette. Plus you're on the internet, if you did that in real life it would obviously be taken as a joke.

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
Yesterday 7:25 PM
-->
On online texts it's hard to know where sarcasm ends and where microaggresions start. We intps tend to be a little sarcastic and cinic, and also we tend to be little skeptical about social etiquettes.

It's not difficult to find people easily offendable, so even when the guy didn't take that as an offense maybe people reading that did.

That's another of the bunch of reasons why I don't use facebook.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It's pretty much a meme that has caught a lot of traction recent years. It has become a go-to for people looking for a cheap way to get social validation; simply voice how outraged you are at all the "racism" and whatnot.

What you can do, however, is talk about how terrible white people are. You actually gain cookie points in the social-media world by doing that.

Ultimately, the whole PC-thing and the new feminist movement are redefinitions of regular language. For example, "racism" is not racism, but whites talking about other races. "Feminism" presents itself as egalitarianism, but in reality is a particular ideology mostly aiming at attacking the male gender, etc.

AndyC

Hm?
Local time
Today 9:25 AM
-->
We're stuffed, not just saying this, it's an educated guess... but yeah.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 5:25 PM
-->

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
On the blog I visit, there was a native American girl age 22 that lives in Toronto that makes comments there also. A couple of people that are not that nice called her Sasquatch. She did not really react to them but I mentioned that I was 1/4 sasquatch myself. They said I could not prove it because people on the internet can say anything.

One person there (the main antagonist of the blog owner) said I was faking it and that I was not a 29-year-old male but really a 16-year-old girl. I was super depressed at the time and from my behavior, he thought I was drunk. He also said drinking cured my autism everyone kept saying I had. This just shows what Kuu said is true, "it is a girl".

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 12:25 PM
-->
I mentioned that I was 1/4 sasquatch myself
I love this.

As the years pass I'm coming around to the notion that I need to surround myself with more people like you to fix my existential sobriety, I want to live in a world where being 1/4 sasquatch is a thing.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
pointless invalidation is out, pointless outrage is in

social fashion trends you see

~

best thing to do is just avoid the areas of internet where average people congregate because it's going to be full of stupid

and in real life just foster relations with people who aren't impressionable dipshits i.e. everyone who happily identifies as either far left, far right, religious or anarchist

should leave you with like .5-1% of the population, but don't worry - the world's disgustingly overpopulated so you still have plenty of people to meet. 1/200 people is a lot when you live in places with >1million people

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
I love this.

As the years pass I'm coming around to the notion that I need to surround myself with more people like you to fix my existential sobriety, I want to live in a world where being 1/4 sasquatch is a thing.

Cherokee, Chickasaw and Choctaw

it's in my genes.

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
-->
pointless invalidation is out, pointless outrage is in

social fashion trends you see

~

best thing to do is just avoid the areas of internet where average people congregate because it's going to be full of stupid

and in real life just foster relations with people who aren't impressionable dipshits i.e. everyone who happily identifies as either far left, far right, religious or anarchist

should leave you with like .5-1% of the population, but don't worry - the world's disgustingly overpopulated so you still have plenty of people to meet. 1/200 people is a lot when you live in places with >1million people

What about people who have long lost its fate on "democratic" (aka, representative governments, not true democracy) systems? :phear:

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
i dunno, really i'm only good at inaccurately generalising things in order to marginalise as many people as i possibly can in the shortest amount of time

stuff that involves actual thinking is beyond the scope of my abilities

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
yesterday in Facebook
Why? Facebook is a platform designed for the lowest-common denominator of "social" interaction: designed to maximize attention whoring, ego-centrism and groupthink, and thus attracts that kind of people. You're delusional if you expect intelligent conversation there.

My question is: why is everyone so obsessed about being politically correct even such simple scenarios.
American culture dumbing down people worldwide. Disconnection from actual economic and political problems, or profound misunderstanding of them.

This just shows what Kuu said is true, "it is a girl".
Huh?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 1:25 AM
-->
a guy drives a car at night, with sunglasses on. he cant see enough to tell the difference between a mexican and an asian guy. he thinks to himself "it doesn't matter what breed they are, as long as i hit them respectfully, from the front. just let me have my fun.".

suddenly the sensitivity police hits him with a laserlight and loud alarm. he drops his coffee and his smartphone, tries to pick up the phone, the car runs into a tree, he wakes up in a hospital and is informed about being prosecuted for 10 different hatecrimes: hitting on trees, wasting paper on coffee cups, driving a diesel and so on. he will never forget this lesson. he will never drive with sunglasses again. and before you know it, he learns to recognize ten shades of sinti.

my points

1) the sensitivity police is not actually concerned with particular examples of ignorance, such as racism or homophobia, but with demanding a higher level of awareness. while traditional police demands awareness of the law, regardless of what is currently deemed illegal, the sensitivity police demands awareness of subjective and inter-subjective realities. its not what they are against, but what they are for. it doesn't matter what intentions you have, good or bad, but whether you simply recognize the intentions of everybody else. the police may not always know how to express their demand accurately and get lost in injust accusations, but they know when to hit you with intimidating light and sound cannons.

2) human beings are violent and it hurts. violence is effectively changing the world. sometimes for the better, relatively speaking. the world doesn't care if you end up in hospital. its a conveyor belt and you are a chicken caught up in it. at least modern violence is mostly economical and verbal. the new police doesn't even have guns or jails, but they can still get you fired or socially isolated.

3) i fucking hate cops. hate them in groups and in isolation. i can see their point. but nobody has my consent to push me around.

4) its nasty, but a traditional cop may be a rouge and a sensitivity cop may be egocentric. the traditional cop only has to know the law, not obey it; and the sensitivity cop only has to know his own intention, not yours; in order for them to detect, that you did not pay attention.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 11:25 AM
-->
Society is going round in one big circle jerk of the same shit for "different" reasons

majohnso

Local time
-->
re facebook posting - i tend to agree, that the PC police are too aggresive these days, but you are on a public forum, so you need to accept some people will get bothered

re society progress - people are getting more distracted, people are being told they need to be more extraverted, the definition of success is no longer hard work, - what this all means collectively, i still ponder

gilliatt

Local time
Yesterday 6:25 PM
-->
There is 6 billion of us humans on this earth. I say 'Freedom' for all people on this earth. You can think so much better under Freedom. The possibilities of more progress, happiness, everyone raised up a level. Children learn much better under Freedom. Its being left alone to think that is so important. Force does not work very well in the world, look around, look at the unhappiness, evil, unethical character of the world. Force, compulsion, coercion brings on more of the same. So, Freedom--you got a better world...

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 12:25 PM
-->
I guess blind idealism never really helped anyone either.

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
-->
If I were a blind idealism, I'd definitely be some kind of anarchyst... due to my mysanthropy and cinism, however, I'm just a critical capitalist.

If I can tell something about society from my own everday experience on a broken (economical, social and politically speaking) country, is that people will tend to search for the least resisitence path, even if this means going "beyond" (aka breaking) moral principles and laws.

People want a collective improvement, but at the same time they realize that change is going to be so huge for them so they do nothing to actually achieve that improvement.

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
-->

Simple answer: Operant conditioning
Many are REWARDED for playing the victim, thus victimizing whoever they try to spin as-if a stock part in this modern form of Street Theatre: Victimizer, Racist, Sexist, Churlish Brute, Ignoramus, etc.

This is NOT new; the crux of Judo entails using The Other Guy's mass and momentum against him or her.

Political Correctness entails using ones freedom of expression to limit the freedom of expression of another and/or to vilify the user of freedom of expression by transforming a mere speech act into an IDENTITY.
If one SAYS something spun as-if sexist, racist, thought-criminal, or such then one -- through the magic of ASSHOLES piling on, ganging up, manifesting a MOB, etc. ad nauseum -- BECOMES not a mere doer of deeds, enactor of verbs BUT a `Thing'/noun with a once-a___-always-a-___ IDENTITY.

And once one has BECOME `as painted', as vilified, as simplified, as generalized ... as reified ... good luck de-reifying one's freshly minted and decidedly FIXED IDENTITY back into some non-thing decidedly more fluid, flexible, and HUMAN.

Consider yourself lucky if you can denominalize your post-objectified, newly minted IDENTITY back into some merely quasi-thing as flexible and variable as a gerund ; you may never -- in the (anti)social venue in which your identity and reputation have been persistently formed -- regain the flexibility and mutability of a Human Doing ... doing this, that, or the other as if a animated inkblot for a conjoined Rorschach Test for Politically Correct self-righteous public-shaming asses.

Top Bottom