• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What's your predilection?

What is your sweet spot?

• iPhone

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Macbook Air 13"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Macbook Pro 15"

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Macbook Pro 17"

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Mac Mini

• iMac 27"

• Mac Pro

• Total voters

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 12:14 AM
-->
What do you do the most work on, prefer, generally like the best? Apologies if you're not mac centric but to keep it simple I cast the vote in terms of an Apple lineup. I think this says a lot about a persons personality too.

My vote; 17" MBP. iPad's are only good for very light media consumption - frankly I just use it for watching movies anymore. The 17" hits a sweet spot for me.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
Today 6:14 AM
-->
I like the 15" MacPro because my 2nd generation iPod's battery keeps draining and it's very small. I think the 15" is a good size for a laptop: not too small and not too big. The 17" is a bit big. We have iPads at school, and they're alright, but I agree with you that they are not... powerful enough to be extremely useful.

SW

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
Today 2:14 AM
-->
I like my iPhone 5. It's tough, light, and has a solid internet connection wherever I go, not to mention having an all-day battery life, a charging speed that lives up to the name of its cable, and included washing-machine-proof earbuds. The suite of available accessories is also formidable: durable yet stately leather flip-front cases, external charging packs that can make my battery runneth over, and a warm and loving iHome. I've only bought the first of these tools, but I suspect that those who travel the world would enjoy the second, and Apple afficionados would enjoy the third.

Yet three other features stand out. The first is intuitive use and easy maintenance: software updates are automatic and require only a few taps, the app-store is streamlined and beautiful, and time-sensitive functions like picture-taking and emergency calling can be accessed without punching in the pass-code. The second is the app-store itself, wherein one can find such unlikely yet wonderfully utilitarian tools like a decibel monitor, ruler, and typing aid. Finally, Apple's customer service--especially at its stores--is phenomenal. Just today I went to buy a new lightning cable for my mom's car, and I had a $20 bill in my pocket. I took the lightning cable from the wall, went to a salesman, and asked him if he took cash. He did, and the price came out $20.19. Sighing, I began to turn back to the rack to return the cable, but the salesman did something that I, in my admittedly brief time on this earth, have never seen: he took a quarter out of his pocket, covered the difference himself, and gave me, of all people, the change. Needless to say, I was amazed, and I promptly took the cable, change, and left the store, glad to have been treated so well. I told my mom the story, and she gave me a quarter to give to him, which I did. He seemed surprised, but took it.

-Duxwing

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
Apple. WHAHAHAHA.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
... apparently I fell off the front of the tech curve at some point. :facepalm:

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 7:14 PM
-->
... Galaxy Siii FOREVER!! Or until the S4s come down in price. Or until I break it.

Side note: Fuck iPhone! :twisteddevil:

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Well it's the only continuous product line.

• Nexus Galaxy
  • Nexus 7
  • Chromebook (WTF???)
  • Chromebook Pixel (WEJRKELWREWJKRE!!!!)
  • Chromebox (.......)

I mean, seriously?

TheScornedReflex

Local time
-->
Urr.. Yes.. Seriously ?! :D. Those Koreans need war funds you know :phear:.

C.Hecker88

Lily of the Valley
Local time
Today 1:14 AM
-->
LINUX

I use Fuduntu (a variant of Fedora) on my desktop PC. On my laptop, I use Windows 7 alongside Ubuntu (dual boot).

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 5:14 PM
-->
Apple...no thanks.

I recently got an HTC One (had an HTC Desire before that) on my phone plan, it came with a free pair of these (which I don't use because my headphones are already better quality, but still, they're pretty good headphones):

c3a9couteurs-monster-beats-studio-dr-dre-530x5303.jpg

Personally I prefer Android to Apple, they run so much more smoothly than any iPhone I've ever touched.

ℜεмїηїs¢εη¢ε

Local time
-->
Desktop:

Windows for the games/difficult to emulate software.
Various versions of Linux to play around with but not seriously use.

Laptop: noty
Tablet: noty
Smartphone: noty

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 8:14 PM
-->
Do people really use handhelds to replace a laptop/desktop?

How would you run important applications? (Matlab, CAD, Word Processors, using APIs, photoshop/illustrator, autocad, etc.)

I guess if you could install a typical OS on one and manage to hook up a keyboard and mouse, then I suppose you could.

Is that what people do now?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Do people really use handhelds to replace a laptop/desktop

Yeah a lot of people can do everything they need in the Cloud. I think my CEO is like that. Emails, web searching, some writing, etc ... that's it AFAIK.

Ink

Local time
Today 7:14 AM
-->
iPhone is the only apple product I have and could understand the need for

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Threads are like drill bits. You aim them true, but somehow they always wander off course.

TheScornedReflex

Local time
-->
We are on a journey. A journey into why Apple sucks!

~~~

Local time
-->
How about some GE/Fujikura cooling and those batteries from the University of Illinois? Now that would hit the sweet spot. Why am I always living in the future?

tribbles

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Dell Inspiron Mini 10v netbook running OS X 10.6.8. I like the software but the branded hardware is just too damn expensive.

GodOfOrder

Local time
-->
I use my 15" MacBook for work and play
My iPhone for communication and mobility (also music)
And my iPad for sheet music and discounted composition software

But the only thing I'd be devistated to lose would be my MacBook

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->
Threads are like drill bits. You aim them true, but somehow they always wander off course.

Maybe your threads... haha

Or I mean, maybe your drill bits. Mine stay true.

I rolled with a Macbook mid-2007 model for years, then I started to upgrade its internal components (basic stuff like larger HD, internal DVD burner, RAM) and then sort of put that on the back-burner. Now I have a p.o.s. macbook that is mid-upgrade and has been for years. It has OS X Leopard and Win XP pro with a third (300GB) partition for sharing files between the two OS.

These days I only use it for making personality videos to post here.

Presently I use the Lenovo IBM ThinkCentre with WinXP Pro for my desktop (ballin')

also HTC One-S for foruming on the road.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
15" would be it. The 17" is just too large for a laptop. If I need a larger screen, I can (and do) plug in a larger external monitor.

Minis are nice too, I've one that's waiting to be set up as a home server.

I would probably use my ipad more if I lived in a less car-centric city... although its impossible to get any of my work done on it. CAD on a tablet? Yeah right. Mostly media consumption, emails, and showcasing photos. I prefer and use the phone so much more, though for totally different things than the tablet.

Re OS wars: Haters gonna hate

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Curious, for the folks that have said a 17" is too large, have you ever owned one?

I felt they were monsters until I got one, now I'm hooked. It's almost like working on a desktop. I even bought the last MBP 17" they had on sale, after they discontinued them. Not because I needed it, just because it was the last one they are producing.

Nezaros

Highly Irregular
Local time
-->
Apple is a fascist organization.

My lineup consists of a gaming laptop and an Android smartphone. Swype is great but it's still not ideal for... anything productive. So I use my laptop for most things, and my phone when my laptop is unavailable. And for making the great multitude of reminders necessary for me to exist in society without forgetting to eat or something trivial like that. But my laptop seems to be focused on crumbling to bits in the near future so at some point I intend to (at least try to) start doing work on a netbook, and get a desktop for gaming. It'd be glorious.

Top Bottom