• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What level are you?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:03 PM
-->
This is an old idea, I think I remember it being discussed here a couple of years back... a bygone era of antiquity as far as the internet is concerned.

Anyway so the idea is to create a points based system to motivate ourselves towards self development, in this system all skills and knowledge are worth a given point value based upon an estimation of how long it would take an average person to learn them. Then for shits'n'giggles we can come up with levels, classes, feats, and sorts of other D&D stuff, for example reading a certain number of designated philosophy books (educational books, not fiction that just so happens to cover that philosophy, although reading those may grant you the "cultured" feat/class/whatever) will give you claim to being a minor philosopher, by reading even more you can upgrade this until eventually you're a "master philosopher" or something.

Sound like fun? :D

Then if we want make comparisons we can divide our scores by our ages, although I suspect several people will be against this in principle, after all such a system isn't going to be a definitive measure of a person's abilities and reading all the books in the world isn't the same as contemplating their content.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 6:03 AM
-->
Fun? yes. Accurate? I don't think so. besides, we already have grades and school levels...

GYX_Kid

randomly floating abyss built of bricks
Local time
-->
My chopstick wielding level is 73

Glordag

Pensive Poster
Local time
Today 12:03 AM
-->
Do you ever really read the book, or does the book read you? Answer this, and your level becomes monstrously infinite!

Hmm...a little buzzed. I should head over to that buzzed drinky thready thing I remember seeing a while back. *looks for it*.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 10:03 PM
-->
Will there be pvp and/or pk'ing?

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I still suck pretty badly at Halo 2, legendary. They keep sniping at me. Those damn snipers.

VICTORY SHALL NOT BE THEIRS

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
Well... you guys can go being non-serious.

But this is an awesome idea. The level system is a little bit silly, but there is awesomeness in this.

The INTPs who collaborate would get to see what *other* INTPs see as being valuable, and they would get to set challenges for themselves. And I mean, there will be a lot of easier things like "read a book", but I think there are some more difficulty tasks. Like-- crash a party. Skillfully congratulate parents of a bride/groom at a wedding. Have sex in the forest. Get a job without giving a resume. Persuade someone to your side (this can be done multiple times for different subject areas).

We should throw up a collaborative document for this. Ideally we'd do it in excel, but this is really easy to start with.
http://piratepad.net/lKO06zHWuV
There, I've seeded it for you.

Howitzer

Local time
-->
So is this supposed to be an experiences INTPs/People should do or are we still going for evaluating people?

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
This idea has already been done hasn't it? Gamification or something like that.

I'm not sure if I personally like it; surely these things listed would lose a lot less value to the person if their only motivation to do them is to create some abstract profile, to prove to others that you've done them. I think it would be a little degrading to imagine that your only motivation to complete meaningful tasks in life is just to improve your WoW character.

Melllvar

Banned
Local time
Today 12:03 AM
-->
Anyway so the idea is to create a points based system to motivate ourselves towards self development, in this system all skills and knowledge are worth a given point value based upon an estimation of how long it would take an average person to learn them.

Jesse Schell - DICE 2010
(last 10 minutes are most relevant)

Counter-opinion

This idea has already been done hasn't it? Gamification or something like that.

Ian Bogost - Gamification is Bullshit

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:33 PM
-->
HadoBlado
neutral good
human
Class - Wizard/Barbarian
STR:10
DEX:13
CON:8
INT:16
WIS:17
CHA:14

...my character sucks!

dark

Bring this savage back home.
Local time
Today 1:03 AM
-->
Well... you guys can go being non-serious.

But this is an awesome idea. The level system is a little bit silly, but there is awesomeness in this.

The INTPs who collaborate would get to see what *other* INTPs see as being valuable, and they would get to set challenges for themselves. And I mean, there will be a lot of easier things like "read a book", but I think there are some more difficulty tasks. Like-- crash a party. Skillfully congratulate parents of a bride/groom at a wedding. Have sex in the forest. Get a job without giving a resume. Persuade someone to your side (this can be done multiple times for different subject areas).

We should throw up a collaborative document for this. Ideally we'd do it in excel, but this is really easy to start with.
http://piratepad.net/lKO06zHWuV
There, I've seeded it for you.

If that is all the feats one needs to be max level, I am almost there!

Seems I need to get arrested, congratulate some parents (but wouldn't getting invited to a wedding be the feat required for this?), go to the burning man, does a dorm count as a commune? :D

Dark
Chaotic Good
Human
Bard

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
If that is all the feats one needs to be max level, I am almost there!

Seems I need to get arrested, congratulate some parents (but wouldn't getting invited to a wedding be the feat required for this?), go to the burning man, does a dorm count as a commune? :D

Dark
Chaotic Good
Human
Bard

Agh, no, it's supposed to be collaborative! Add more challenges for me & others!

Puffy said:
I'm not sure if I personally like it; surely these things listed would lose a lot less value to the person if their only motivation to do them is to create some abstract profile, to prove to others that you've done them. I think it would be a little degrading to imagine that your only motivation to complete meaningful tasks in life is just to improve your WoW character.
I agree that is silly, but you're looking at it the wrong way. The levelling is silly, but this is a good opportunity to see what other INTPs see as good life experiences. And then you might be like "oh... maybe I should do that too". I think that just because something is suggested to you doesn't make it less awesome when you actually experience it.

dark

Local time
-->
Ah I get it, I thought that I was almost max level, "Dark is awesome!" was my thought. :D.

So how do we do this? Should I make another excel thing like you did and link it or shall I just post them on here and you could add more?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Ian Bogost - Gamification is Bullshit
I'm not selling anything I assure you ;)

I think it would be a little degrading to imagine that your only motivation to complete meaningful tasks in life is just to improve your WoW character.
Screw WoW, I hate that game, there's absolutely no immersion.

But wouldn't it be great just to have a little recognition for our everyday achievements?
For example I would like to improve my handwriting and I have difficulty motivating myself to do this, but if there was some sort of context within which this mundane self development was given deeper meaning it would probably easier to find this motivation.

The levelling is silly, but this is a good opportunity to see what other INTPs see as good life experiences. And then you might be like "oh... maybe I should do that too".
And yeah there's that :D
Go skydiving it's worth a thousand points!

WoW drains life, the point of this is to enrich it.

dark

Local time
-->
Play WoW, loose 15 levels.

Quit WoW gain 1 level.

I really want to sky dive, it would be wicked.

I've also made a point to talk to even people I think I may not get along with, I think I started this after it I became disgusted with how many people prejudge others without giving them a chance, so I decided to go against those whom disgust me.

Zionoxis

Local time
-->
This actually sounds like a really cool idea. The idea is not to degrade actions through offering a 'want' to do them, but instead, just to offer A reason to do them. I mean, had you no intention of going through with the task originally, how could it be any worse?

Meer

Jermbl
Local time
-->
So how do we do this? Should I make another excel thing like you did and link it or shall I just post them on here and you could add more?

You can just edit the pirate pad thing. It's hilarious to watch how other INTPs write, using the time slider thing.

Top Bottom