• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What is the hardest video game you have beaten?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 1:06 AM
-->
I'll go first.

XCOM 2. I only beat it on the second easiest difficulty. But I played enough of it to know its the hardest game I have ever played.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:06 PM
-->
Time Crisis II, the game itself isn't really that hard even in the final stages but when you're a kid with at best $5 worth of tokens and you only get to play it occasionally completing the story for the first time is quite an achievement.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 5:06 PM
-->
Zelda: Breath of the Dark Souls.

Edit: Oh HAVE beaten....

Hmm Thief 4, I couldn't get past the asylum level.

Oh wait I guess I still haven't beaten that.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 8:06 PM
-->
dark souls 3

It had a good balance of difficulty and gameplay to keep me interested. And fuck the original Dark Souls; that's a game for masochists and people that hate their existence.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
The Binding of Isaac

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:06 PM
-->
I loved Dark Souls but Dark Souls 2 put me off the franchise.

I vividly remember the last fight I had in Dark Souls 2 because it made me so angry, I was invaded by a guy with medium/light armor and a rapier, I had heavy armor a tower shield and a greatsword. He effortlessly dodges my first attack by ROLLING STRAIGHT THROUGH THE BLADE then killed me by TAPPING MY SHIELD with his enchanted sword, apparently for the enchantment that counts as a hit, it was an absolute farce of a fight and I immediately uninstalled the game.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I decided I wanted to beat the campaign for XCOM 2 again on veteran (second easiest difficulty) before playing War of the Chosen. From what I saw of reviews, War of the Chosen is like the original game on crack. I heard one reviewer say its like playing 6 chess games at once, and it is. And surprisingly, the story is not bad. Its made by firaxis (same developer as Civ series) so you know its going to be difficult. But I totally love this game. It remains always challenging. My personal strategy for the game tho, is to draw out the game for longer than needed so that by the time I have the final battle, I am fully prepared. The thing about this tho, is its basically Murphy's Law: if something can go wrong, it will.

Anyone who is into tactical and strategic gameplay, this is the game for you.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Is war of the chosen from the guys who did "The Long War" because if so... fun.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
Today 6:06 AM
-->
Probably some of the L4D campaigns on expert.

Try pulling that shit off whilst carrying anything less than 3 team members who coordinate as effectively as a spec ops unit. It requires all 4 of you to be on fire at all times. It's awesome - but it'll test you.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I'm unsure what I've found most difficult. I've beaten the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy for the NES which are seen as hard games, but the levels and bosses follow predictable patterns and there are little random elements, so it's largely a case of trial and error until you get the best pattern down as muscle memory. I don't think that's hard per se it just requires dedication and enough natural dexterity, which some people don't have.

I don't tend to play for difficulty. I either play games out of nostalgia for childhood (NES, SNES, et al) or the equivalent of art-house games like Silent Hill 2, System Shock 2 or Shadow of the Colossus that push the medium's potential as an art-form.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Probably some of the L4D campaigns on expert.

Try pulling that shit off whilst carrying anything less than 3 team members who coordinate as effectively as a spec ops unit. It requires all 4 of you to be on fire at all times. It's awesome - but it'll test you.

this doesn't even come close to difficult in the context of how difficult some games are

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
this doesn't even come close to difficult in the context of how difficult some games are

Examples please.

I've played many a game over the years, but my memory is terrible.

I find L4D on expert quite challenging primarily because most other players are shit, thus shifting the onus onto myself to be mostbest.

[EDIT] I vaguely recall Zool being a bastard back in the day. Was that before your time? I have no idea how old you people are.

Zool was early 90s IIRC.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 3:06 PM
-->
Probably one of those Megaman Zero games. "Beating it" isn't too hard, but getting all the items and fairies and then playing on hard mode is a huge bitch to play. You simply have to memorize everything push in the right buttons for like 30 minutes.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
dark souls 3 for sure
when u go to fight aldrich, that has to be the hardest most frustrating part on a game ever

[BIMG]https://media.alienwarearena.com/media/22d4f881c80e8bd5167d7e38240cfbd9.jpg[/BIMG]

when u get to this bornfire after avoiding all the bullcrap down the chapel u must face 2 super powerful knights, then inside run as loco as u can and avoid all the crazy monks shooting fireballs at u, then aldrich is not that hard compared to other bosses of souls series but for some reason the area is not fun to me.
overall this game is about running and avoiding shit.
in dark souls you had to think by trying and learning what not to do to kill enemies in areas, it wasn't like sonic adventure. (except for the capra demon haha(i killed him by throwing gas bombs and poisoning him, skipped that shit)) but if u pick the dark knight halberd game goes super smooth, you get to normal difficulty, you still die but it's half frustrating. but i beat it without then i beat it with the trick.
damn great game sonic btw.

Now if we talk about specific stages on 2d platforms, damn that game has to be donkey kong country for Wii, lovely game but last world is crazy.

[BIMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/b3WohGzy9Dg/maxresdefault.jpg[/BIMG]

i used to think animal antics was really hard too, DK2 for SNES

hqdefault.jpg

re3 nemesis, another hard classic. i couldn't beat it when i was kid, too scary, confusing, little space to avoid... no understanding of english back then (worse with majora's mask because of all the dialogue boxes to get the masks)

[BIMG]https://s.candybanana.com/images/415e/resident_evil_3_nemesis_3.jpg[/BIMG]

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Examples please.

I've played many a game over the years, but my memory is terrible.

I find L4D on expert quite challenging primarily because most other players are shit, thus shifting the onus onto myself to be mostbest.

l4d2 has no difficult mechanics to master and you can pretty much solo it on expert. the game is as straightforward as it gets and being good is just a matter of not making mistakes. there's utility to trivialize most encounters in the game, and if the primary source of difficulty is other people sucking rather than the game itself....then yeah that's not a hard game

compared to games where you have to spend hours upon hours honing skills to even be considered average, I'd say l4d2 is definitely easy.

~

osu, quake, any 2D fighting game with < 3-frame combo links are staples to being good is going to take way more hours to master. Add in the complexity of performing complex mechanical tasks with human competition and it's definitely more difficult than l4d2

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
In that case, EVE Online. I've never known a game to have so many intricacies.

Or Xcom: Enemy Unknown.

... Or the original Dragon Age. I decided to spec as a 'Battlemage'. At the time it seemed like a good idea - but then the Brood Mother happened.

Note: I only ever play games on the hardest difficulty. Go hard or go home, and all that.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 11:06 PM
-->
Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock Infinite on 1999 mode, F-Zero GX (unlock literally everything 100% completion), Street Fighter 5, not getting banned by intpf mods

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
-->
Probably Bloodborne. Never played DS 1 or 2 and my housemate who owned the PS4 moved out before i could finish DS3.

Fun as fuck. Definitely easier the second time through. I enjoyed combat in BB more than DS3. Much faster and smoother, imo.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 3:36 PM
-->
Probably Smash Bros: Brawl on the hardest difficulty?

Now I think about it, I don't tend to complete hard single-player games. I usually go to multiplayer for my challenge.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today 2:06 AM
-->
Objectively, Maybe Mass Effect 1 and 2 on their "Insanity" difficulties. I say maybe becaause it was quite easy, and the only issue being scarce ammo drops.

Personally the hardest game I've beaten would be playing Overwatch Ranked Solo Queue and getting to Masters (with no mic).... joking.

This is a hard question for me to answer. Mostly because I have just played so many games.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I hate games where I have to learn very specific movements by rote and then hit them all perfectly each time in order to not die. (like, doing jumps to cross chasms in games irritates the sh-t out of me.)

I guess, though, all that being said...
... "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out" for NES back when it came out?

There are a few other times I remember being extremely annoyed by a video game but can't for the life of me remember which game(s) it was now.

btw I beat Dragon Age with different classes just fine and don't remember ever being frustrated....

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
-->
I don't usually play game for their difficulty. I haven't played Dark Souls as yet, but I tried Demon Souls and gave up because by the time I reached the boss on the bridge it just wasn't fun, it was too frustrating. And yes, I've done Dragon Age 1 & 2 with every class and didn't find it too difficult, really.

Probably the hardest one I've completed was Resident Evil 4 on the hardest difficulty, just because I'd done it a couple of times and a few years later revisited it on the hardest setting for fun. That darn ogre after the lake - I had 7 shot gun shells and a knife by then, nothing else. It took a few attempts.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
You can solo DA:O on Nightmare with Blood Mage + Arcane Warrior. The hardest part in that whole game doing it that way is a bunch of wolves before you have time to get your specialization.

DA:O cannot hold a candle to XCOM 2 War of the Chosen. There are some people who are Godlike in that game tho like ChristopherOdd on youtube. Been watching his Let's Play's of the game for tips.

self potato

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Probably Ikaruga and Celeste.

ACTUALLY, >>>Super Monkey Ball 2<<<
Some of the most RAGE inducing levels I have ever played! >: O

That game . . .
It

It made me wanna mad.

It made me wanna cry . . .

travelnjones

Local time
-->
Maybe Ninja Gaiden with all of the tokens so I got access to the three NES ninja gaiden games.

DeityOfOmnicide

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:06 AM
-->
I don't usually play game for their difficulty. I haven't played Dark Souls as yet, but I tried Demon Souls and gave up because by the time I reached the boss on the bridge it just wasn't fun, it was too frustrating. And yes, I've done Dragon Age 1 & 2 with every class and didn't find it too difficult, really.

Probably the hardest one I've completed was Resident Evil 4 on the hardest difficulty, just because I'd done it a couple of times and a few years later revisited it on the hardest setting for fun. That darn ogre after the lake - I had 7 shot gun shells and a knife by then, nothing else. It took a few attempts.
I got that Socrates quote

Valaraukar6

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:06 AM
-->
[/QUOTE]...fuck the original Dark Souls; that's a game for masochists and people that hate their existence.[/QUOTE]

A game for masochists? I have defeated it. All the way past Gwyn Lord of Cinder, and in NG+ back to good old O&S (&O) - and, while challenging, I would say that it was overall a nice relaxing experience. DS3 I never got that far into - just past the Boreal Doggo of the Gate - albeit the fact that my PC does not support playing that game above 15 frames might possibly have been the factor of annoyance.
Now Dark Souls 2? Not so good, overall. IMO.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Not meaning to brag here. I struggled with dark souls series in the beginning, but I can't call it a difficult game. The game gives you the most broken ability possible called dodge roll and backstep and those two moves give you invulnerability frames, as in fractions of game time when your character is invulnerable. Shields are overpowered and make everything too basic and so is parrying.

I considered the dark souls series too easy so I disabled the invuln. frames, the best shields and things like healing at bonfires.

I'm not surprised people challenge themselves with no damage runs once they master the basics.

The most difficult and frustrating moments in dark souls were caused by shitty game design and game breaking bugs. And yeah dark souls is a poorly designed game where character progression and controls make no sense, most in-game concepts aren't communicated to the player which does little else than waste player's time.

What I would consider to be a difficult game is most of the non-rng dexterity based competitive games, touhou bullet hell games for example or some speedruns of platformer games. Some roguelikes/dungeon crawlers which delete your save file after death. Tbh I have no patience for truly unforgiving games and I would not enjoy ever playing them.

lightfire

Local time
-->
Fable 2 and 3

stfu I haven't played much. Its not my fault my parents hid the PS from me :(

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
I mean, I found Zelda: Skyward Sword way harder than I should have. Motion controls are evil.

*Literally sticks motion sensor on table to keep it straight while walking across a rope, still detects shaking and makes me fall off*

Not that I usually play hard games; it's mostly just Zelda, pure puzzles, or multiplayer for me.

lightfire

Local time
-->
I got the original fable on steam. I would play fable 2 and 3 again those were some awesome games.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I believe I became a master at the game called Achtung die Kurve back when I was in high school. Always played this with my classmates in computer class and became a dominant force

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Didn’t beat it, but I got to level 169 in Pac-Man when I was a teen.

soupymess

kick trees
Local time
-->
Dunno if this counts but for about a day I was the 37th fastest person in the world with the Ferrari F1 2007 at London City Circuit in GT5. Unreasonably proud

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I would say monopoly - never won at that game. Second would be mouse trap because I can never finish it.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
F-Zero GX, unlocking everything, beating story mode on Normal, Hard, and Very Hard, completing all cups on all classes, and beating Grand Prix with every character on Master difficulty.

Deleted member 1424

Hardest recent game was cuphead, but I haven't beaten it yet. Every time I play I just wish I was playing ori and the blind forest instead; alas I destroyed that game ages ago. Botw was hard, but only because I couldn't change the key bindings.

I remember absolutely smashing my head against Radiant Dawn hard mode as a teenager, and boy that was such a masochistic affair, but I did beat it. It was a gift and I was so blind going in that I didn't even know it was a sequel, let alone part of a huge series.

Getting most of my difficulty kicks from beat saber right now though. I play in the expert + range, and some of those beatmappers are just sadistic.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm still playing Radiant Dawn, although I played Path of Radiance a lot, didn't find hard mode that hard although, I don't think I've played it on insane yet, if it matters.

I think it was designed to also be stand alone-ish, most characters return except older (Ike is in Smash Brawl and the sequels), and only some reference is made to the first game and Mad King Ashnard's war. I personally found the dialogue to be more lacking or somewhat vague. In PoR the support system is more traditional with all the extra conversations between characters you choose.

I still thought it was good as a game and sequel for more content. I didn't really like how the unit selection was though, where you can't use everyone at the same time, so I didn't really know who to use. It was hard at first, then got kind of too easy near the end.

Binding Blade is also one of the harder ones where it seems more difficult in the beginning, because everyone seems weak and there are too many enemies, plus the weapons you have aren't that good. They're all hard in the beginning then get easier once you know what you're doing. I might try it on hard to see what I can get out of it.

They make stuff so that you can try different things or get variety. Some characters who were good or fun to use in PoR aren't really as dazzling in RD, for story reasons like they could be older, so it might force you to use different or new characters. The combat also seems different. I remember using Titania and Jill in PoR but fighting with them seems different when they attack in RD. Casting magic spells or attacks is more fun in it, though. I like using Sanaki and Arcfire or Cymbeline.

Rolling Cattle

no backbone
Local time
-->
You have to win the game. On cat mode, you're a cat with 9 lives.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->

lightfire

Local time
-->
Lately I've been finding it hard to sit patiently for games. I can't really sit for long period of time.

I almost got Dark Souls but I read about how the game works and no thanks.

Sims 3 is fun, but I only like building mansions or houses, thats all. As a girl who loved doll houses as a kid, I find building stuff enjoyable. The rest of the game is boring. Like idgaf if my sims are hungry or have to pee.

In Path of Exile I was doing great, and getting stronger and doing all this new stuff with new weapons. Then one day I stupidly decided to rearrange my Passive Skill Tree, took like 1.5 hours methodically arranging everything. Played the game again, and kept dying within 3 seconds. I was so pissed, wanted to throw my laptop against the wall. I uninstalled that bich.

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
-->
The YouTube comments section

Kormak

The IT barbarian - eNTP - 6w7-4-8 so/sx
Local time
Today 8:06 AM
-->
I pugged heroic Queen Azshara on demonology warlock with a Russian team... 74 wipes. They were talking ruski on voice chat for hours, arguing, yelling, rebuilding the group over and over till we finally managed.. barely.

I quit WoW the next Tuesday... I don't speak Russian.

mr_darker

Local time
-->
Don't really have a lot of games never really have. Was basically Dead Space, and Call of duty xD

Dead Space 2 or 3, hardest difficulty was pretty hard. I remember one part, last save was with no ammo & one health, right before some giant outbreak where you have 10+ mostly big rooms filled with necromorphs to go through (i think, on a time crunch too). Had to have attempted sprinting past/through everything at least 150 times before succeeding.

I always like to use the worst/most-undesirable weapon (basically whichever one requires you to put in the most effort and tactics to be successful with) in a multiplayer game. I like to put things on hardest difficulty, AND be a vegan pacifist. COD campaign forces you to kill at some point though. Nazi zombies it's very doable, with friends or solo (if not counting indirect kills, since the scoreboard doesn't). Violence isn't the answer. Learned something about myself when I went vegan on minecraft, how easy it was, what is wrong with me where I don't even consider not-murdering animals an option til then? xD

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
the game of life

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
the game of life

Whoa people on this forum have a life?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For real I am thinking and I cant remember playing games that were too difficult or anything.

I was able to beat Quake III on nightmare, but that wasnt difficult for me or dont even consider it a hard game.

I remember playing online against other people or on LAN.
Counter Strike 1.6, Half Life 1, Unreal tournament, DoD, Quake III.
I was probably insanely good in all of this game. I was hard to beat.

I also used to play IL2 Sturmovik, but I would make my own maps and play them. Far better than the missions ingame.

Top Bottom