• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

What is the hardest video game you have beaten?

QuickTwist

Prolific Member
Local time
Today, 06:01
I'll go first.

XCOM 2. I only beat it on the second easiest difficulty. But I played enough of it to know its the hardest game I have ever played.

Cognisant

Condescending Bastard
Local time
Today, 01:01
Time Crisis II, the game itself isn't really that hard even in the final stages but when you're a kid with at best $5 worth of tokens and you only get to play it occasionally completing the story for the first time is quite an achievement.

Local time
Today, 23:01
Zelda: Breath of the Dark Souls.

Edit: Oh HAVE beaten....

Hmm Thief 4, I couldn't get past the asylum level.

Oh wait I guess I still haven't beaten that.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today, 02:01
dark souls 3

It had a good balance of difficulty and gameplay to keep me interested. And fuck the original Dark Souls; that's a game for masochists and people that hate their existence.

Cognisant

Condescending Bastard
Local time
Today, 01:01
I loved Dark Souls but Dark Souls 2 put me off the franchise.

I vividly remember the last fight I had in Dark Souls 2 because it made me so angry, I was invaded by a guy with medium/light armor and a rapier, I had heavy armor a tower shield and a greatsword. He effortlessly dodges my first attack by ROLLING STRAIGHT THROUGH THE BLADE then killed me by TAPPING MY SHIELD with his enchanted sword, apparently for the enchantment that counts as a hit, it was an absolute farce of a fight and I immediately uninstalled the game.

QuickTwist

Prolific Member
Local time
I decided I wanted to beat the campaign for XCOM 2 again on veteran (second easiest difficulty) before playing War of the Chosen. From what I saw of reviews, War of the Chosen is like the original game on crack. I heard one reviewer say its like playing 6 chess games at once, and it is. And surprisingly, the story is not bad. Its made by firaxis (same developer as Civ series) so you know its going to be difficult. But I totally love this game. It remains always challenging. My personal strategy for the game tho, is to draw out the game for longer than needed so that by the time I have the final battle, I am fully prepared. The thing about this tho, is its basically Murphy's Law: if something can go wrong, it will.

Anyone who is into tactical and strategic gameplay, this is the game for you.

Local time
Is war of the chosen from the guys who did "The Long War" because if so... fun.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
Today, 12:01
Probably some of the L4D campaigns on expert.

Try pulling that shit off whilst carrying anything less than 3 team members who coordinate as effectively as a spec ops unit. It requires all 4 of you to be on fire at all times. It's awesome - but it'll test you.

Puffy

Demon Alpaca Overlord
Local time
I'm unsure what I've found most difficult. I've beaten the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy for the NES which are seen as hard games, but the levels and bosses follow predictable patterns and there are little random elements, so it's largely a case of trial and error until you get the best pattern down as muscle memory. I don't think that's hard per se it just requires dedication and enough natural dexterity, which some people don't have.

I don't tend to play for difficulty. I either play games out of nostalgia for childhood (NES, SNES, et al) or the equivalent of art-house games like Silent Hill 2, System Shock 2 or Shadow of the Colossus that push the medium's potential as an art-form.

Local time
Probably some of the L4D campaigns on expert.

Try pulling that shit off whilst carrying anything less than 3 team members who coordinate as effectively as a spec ops unit. It requires all 4 of you to be on fire at all times. It's awesome - but it'll test you.
this doesn't even come close to difficult in the context of how difficult some games are

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
this doesn't even come close to difficult in the context of how difficult some games are
Examples please.

I've played many a game over the years, but my memory is terrible.

I find L4D on expert quite challenging primarily because most other players are shit, thus shifting the onus onto myself to be mostbest.

[EDIT] I vaguely recall Zool being a bastard back in the day. Was that before your time? I have no idea how old you people are.

Zool was early 90s IIRC.

onesteptwostep

Think.. Be... ..buzz buzz :)
Local time
Today, 21:01
Probably one of those Megaman Zero games. "Beating it" isn't too hard, but getting all the items and fairies and then playing on hard mode is a huge bitch to play. You simply have to memorize everything push in the right buttons for like 30 minutes.

Local time
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
dark souls 3 for sure
when u go to fight aldrich, that has to be the hardest most frustrating part on a game ever

[BIMG]https://media.alienwarearena.com/media/22d4f881c80e8bd5167d7e38240cfbd9.jpg[/BIMG]

when u get to this bornfire after avoiding all the bullcrap down the chapel u must face 2 super powerful knights, then inside run as loco as u can and avoid all the crazy monks shooting fireballs at u, then aldrich is not that hard compared to other bosses of souls series but for some reason the area is not fun to me.
overall this game is about running and avoiding shit.
in dark souls you had to think by trying and learning what not to do to kill enemies in areas, it wasn't like sonic adventure. (except for the capra demon haha(i killed him by throwing gas bombs and poisoning him, skipped that shit)) but if u pick the dark knight halberd game goes super smooth, you get to normal difficulty, you still die but it's half frustrating. but i beat it without then i beat it with the trick.
damn great game sonic btw.

Now if we talk about specific stages on 2d platforms, damn that game has to be donkey kong country for Wii, lovely game but last world is crazy.

[BIMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/b3WohGzy9Dg/maxresdefault.jpg[/BIMG]

i used to think animal antics was really hard too, DK2 for SNES

re3 nemesis, another hard classic. i couldn't beat it when i was kid, too scary, confusing, little space to avoid... no understanding of english back then (worse with majora's mask because of all the dialogue boxes to get the masks)

[BIMG]https://s.candybanana.com/images/415e/resident_evil_3_nemesis_3.jpg[/BIMG]

Local time
Examples please.

I've played many a game over the years, but my memory is terrible.

I find L4D on expert quite challenging primarily because most other players are shit, thus shifting the onus onto myself to be mostbest.
l4d2 has no difficult mechanics to master and you can pretty much solo it on expert. the game is as straightforward as it gets and being good is just a matter of not making mistakes. there's utility to trivialize most encounters in the game, and if the primary source of difficulty is other people sucking rather than the game itself....then yeah that's not a hard game

compared to games where you have to spend hours upon hours honing skills to even be considered average, I'd say l4d2 is definitely easy.

~

osu, quake, any 2D fighting game with < 3-frame combo links are staples to being good is going to take way more hours to master. Add in the complexity of performing complex mechanical tasks with human competition and it's definitely more difficult than l4d2

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
In that case, EVE Online. I've never known a game to have so many intricacies.

Or Xcom: Enemy Unknown.

... Or the original Dragon Age. I decided to spec as a 'Battlemage'. At the time it seemed like a good idea - but then the Brood Mother happened.

Note: I only ever play games on the hardest difficulty. Go hard or go home, and all that.

Pizzabeak

Prolific Member
Local time
Today, 04:01
Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock Infinite on 1999 mode, F-Zero GX (unlock literally everything 100% completion), Street Fighter 5, not getting banned by intpf mods

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
Probably Bloodborne. Never played DS 1 or 2 and my housemate who owned the PS4 moved out before i could finish DS3.

Fun as fuck. Definitely easier the second time through. I enjoyed combat in BB more than DS3. Much faster and smoother, imo.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 21:31
Probably Smash Bros: Brawl on the hardest difficulty?

Now I think about it, I don't tend to complete hard single-player games. I usually go to multiplayer for my challenge.

Artsu Tharaz

Resident Resident
Local time
flappy bird

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today, 07:01
Objectively, Maybe Mass Effect 1 and 2 on their "Insanity" difficulties. I say maybe becaause it was quite easy, and the only issue being scarce ammo drops.

Personally the hardest game I've beaten would be playing Overwatch Ranked Solo Queue and getting to Masters (with no mic).... joking.

This is a hard question for me to answer. Mostly because I have just played so many games.

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Today, 07:01
I hate games where I have to learn very specific movements by rote and then hit them all perfectly each time in order to not die. (like, doing jumps to cross chasms in games irritates the sh-t out of me.)

I guess, though, all that being said...
... "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out" for NES back when it came out?

There are a few other times I remember being extremely annoyed by a video game but can't for the life of me remember which game(s) it was now.

btw I beat Dragon Age with different classes just fine and don't remember ever being frustrated....

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
I don't usually play game for their difficulty. I haven't played Dark Souls as yet, but I tried Demon Souls and gave up because by the time I reached the boss on the bridge it just wasn't fun, it was too frustrating. And yes, I've done Dragon Age 1 & 2 with every class and didn't find it too difficult, really.

Probably the hardest one I've completed was Resident Evil 4 on the hardest difficulty, just because I'd done it a couple of times and a few years later revisited it on the hardest setting for fun. That darn ogre after the lake - I had 7 shot gun shells and a knife by then, nothing else. It took a few attempts.

QuickTwist

Prolific Member
Local time
You can solo DA:O on Nightmare with Blood Mage + Arcane Warrior. The hardest part in that whole game doing it that way is a bunch of wolves before you have time to get your specialization.

DA:O cannot hold a candle to XCOM 2 War of the Chosen. There are some people who are Godlike in that game tho like ChristopherOdd on youtube. Been watching his Let's Play's of the game for tips.

Local time
Probably Ikaruga and Celeste.

ACTUALLY, >>>Super Monkey Ball 2<<<
Some of the most RAGE inducing levels I have ever played! >: O

That game . . .
It

It made me wanna mad.

It made me wanna cry . . .

travelnjones

Local time
Maybe Ninja Gaiden with all of the tokens so I got access to the three NES ninja gaiden games.

Local time
Today, 08:01
I don't usually play game for their difficulty. I haven't played Dark Souls as yet, but I tried Demon Souls and gave up because by the time I reached the boss on the bridge it just wasn't fun, it was too frustrating. And yes, I've done Dragon Age 1 & 2 with every class and didn't find it too difficult, really.

Probably the hardest one I've completed was Resident Evil 4 on the hardest difficulty, just because I'd done it a couple of times and a few years later revisited it on the hardest setting for fun. That darn ogre after the lake - I had 7 shot gun shells and a knife by then, nothing else. It took a few attempts.
I got that Socrates quote

Top Bottom