• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What is "healthy"? How do you stay or make progress towards being healthy?

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
Today, 13:35
Wasn't sure which category this would fit in, but figured that health could fall under science, even though mainstream media tends not to project it this way.

What is "healthy"? How do you stay or make progress towards being healthy?

How much of a priority is health in your life?

Regarding mental health - I wonder what the ideal standard for being mentally healthy would look like. Is it essentially nonexistent, or do you or someone you know have a depiction of what someone who is clearly "mentally healthy" is?

Regarding physical health - what this looks like tends to be more obvious, but similarly subjective and controversial. For example, BMI is a wildly inaccurate measure since it doesn't account for muscle / fat percentage, for example, so theoretically a doctor could put someone with 30% body fat in the same category as someone with 10% body fat.

That said, I am not the type of person who necessarily would consider body fat percentage to be a good indicator of healthiness, either, though, conversely, I can't dismiss the impact of the obesity epidemic in America where I am. And, the fact that things like eating disorders can occur no matter what your weight is saddening. Problems all around surrounding food is pretty striking.

I find that I've neglected the typical advice of exercising 3x per week (I take walks when I can or feel like it) and following the food pyramid, which I think needs some serious revision (why in the world are carbohydrates/grains not swapped in place with vegetables for the base?). And, while I have weight loss goals, I don't track my caloric intake as most people would do, as I've found that can actually cause me to be overly obsessive. I eat intuitively, and I minimize carbohydrate intake in a "flex keto" fashion, and avoid all processed carbohydrates and sugars (bread, rice, etc... Can't eat wheat anyways as I'm allergic to gluten) to keep my blood sugar levels even... with the exception of occasional fruit, or I'll splurge if I'm out with family (which isn't often).

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today, 18:35
Recently I cut sugar intake by about 90 percent. Started drinking just water and black coffee. Got down by 4 kilograms (thats 8.8 gringo pounders) in a two week period. Now I go by mantra that sugar is evil. I heard also that salt intake is huge in todays diet. I think all people can agree that being fat is terrible. Get some vitaminds and minerals. Thats about all I got. I also take omega 3 in pill form. Dont ask me why. I dont even know why.

Regarding mental health - I wonder what the ideal standard for being mentally healthy would look like. Is it essentially nonexistent, or do you or someone you know have a depiction of what someone who is clearly "mentally healthy" is?
The general consesus is if you can function in society and hold down a job. Though thats becaues job satisfaction and relationships are the major reason people are unhappy.
Boy oh boy, but what about people like me who are completely happy being unhappy.

I find that I've neglected the typical advice of exercising 3x per week
I remember a life style when I was so active physically that it would equate to about 2 to 4 hours per day of exercising. I also remember a lifestyle where I had no real exercise or physical activity apart from getting up from the chair and going to the toilette or running to catch a bus because I was always going late. I much prefer the physical lifestyle. I just felt better and had some fun.

And, while I have weight loss goals, I don't track my caloric intake as most people would do, as I've found that can actually cause me to be overly obsessive. I eat intuitively, and I minimize carbohydrate intake in a "flex keto" fashion, and avoid all processed carbohydrates and sugars (bread, rice, etc... Can't eat wheat anyways as I'm allergic to gluten) to keep my blood sugar levels even... with the exception of occasional fruit, or I'll splurge if I'm out with family (which isn't often)
Once you figure out what works for you best you can follow your own advice for rest of your life. Its worth learning what works for you individually rather than sticking to advice from people who have a different body and overall lifestyle/ resources. I applaud your effort.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today, 06:35
Too much salt isn't good for you but as long as you're not dehydrated it's actually less harmful than too little salt. Historically people salted everything because prior to refrigeration that was the only way to preserve food and as a result we have kidneys that are extremely good at passing salt, comparable to most marine mammals.

Then again I learned that through Youtube so take my advice with a grain of salt :D

Personally my diet is based mostly on convenience and I don't actively exercise so I have a typical office worker's gut, there's no excuse for it.

Top Bottom