• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What if there was no Big Bang?

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 8:26 PM
-->
What if there was no Big Bang and it's just used as an excuse for scientists to continue their current dogma and seek out the most budget possible? That way they can say there's a thin connection between Eastern mysticism and the hard, physical sciences, so that they hold out for a vague notion of karma and an afterlife, making them feel less guilty at their attempts to exercise any privilege, apparently scared at the prospects of shifting values?

Instead the universe could be infinitely old, and was always there. It wouldn't be expanding then, and the redshift we see of distant signals could be something else.

Some people think matter could be getting smaller, rather, instead of space moving apart due to dark energy pushing it out and making things more distant. There's a small nuance so the understandings are different. There wouldn't be any karma or reincarnation in the large amount of signalled chaos, and you'd only have one life to live.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 12:26 PM
-->
Plenty of Greek philosophers have suggested that the universe always was and never created.

But, I thought the big bang was just one theory out of many these days? I didn't realize it was something that was dogmatic in the field of cosmology.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Plenty of Greek philosophers have suggested that the universe always was and never created.

But, I thought the big bang was just one theory out of many these days? I didn't realize it was something that was dogmatic in the field of cosmology.
No, they suggested a geocentric model and get in trouble if they did otherwise. Higs boson doesn't really work without the big bang/standard model.
It's the only theory these days. Literally everything has been determined already, since the beginning of everything. Just because you don't know or it seems hard, doesn't mean that's unlikely or impossible/fake.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 12:26 PM
-->
Ah I see, I didn't realize the standard model was contingent on a big bang. I'm used to hearing things like there are different theories on cosmology; like this article for example: https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...ere-was-no-big-bang-singularity/#7e5b45087d81

We are talking about the same big bang right? Nothing from something? Or are you thinking about the big bang of the big crunch and the expansion?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 12:56 PM
-->
What if there was no Big Bang and it's just used as an excuse for scientists to continue their current dogma and seek out the most budget possible? That way they can say there's a thin connection between Eastern mysticism and the hard, physical sciences, so that they hold out for a vague notion of karma and an afterlife, making them feel less guilty at their attempts to exercise any privilege, apparently scared at the prospects of shifting values?

#BigKarma?

Science is not a monolith. It's unlikely all scientists have the oddly specific shortcomings required for your musings to be correct. Of all the scientists I know only one is concerned with Eastern spirituality (they did their masters on the neurophysiological effects of meditation), but to my knowledge they don't care about mysticism.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 4:26 PM
-->
What if there was no Big Bang and it's just used as an excuse for scientists to continue their current dogma and seek out the most budget possible?
Science isn't dogmatic, a theory is the leading theory because it's the best explanation we have for the phenomena we observe, if there is a theory that better fits the observations that becomes the new leading theory and this has happened many times. Indeed this is one of the main reasons science and religion do not get along, Christians accepted and integrated the geocentric model into their dogma then astronomers and mathematicians went "well actually it turns that's wrong" and religious dogma doesn't just change as change creates doubt and doubt opposes faith.

That way they can say there's a thin connection between Eastern mysticism and the hard, physical sciences, so that they hold out for a vague notion of karma and an afterlife, making them feel less guilty at their attempts to exercise any privilege, apparently scared at the prospects of shifting values?
Wot?

Instead the universe could be infinitely old, and was always there. It wouldn't be expanding then, and the redshift we see of distant signals could be something else.
That is one popular theory, not nearly as popular as the Big Bang because it doesn't explain the redshift but it's a contender.

There wouldn't be any karma or reincarnation in the large amount of signalled chaos, and you'd only have one life to live.
Yeah that's the leading theory on death.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:26 AM
-->

eternalism is crap. if you live long enough you will realize time is periods and cycles.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Science isn't dogmatic, a theory is the leading theory because it's the best explanation we have for the phenomena we observe, if there is a theory that better fits the observations that becomes the new leading theory and this has happened many times. Indeed this is one of the main reasons science and religion do not get along, Christians accepted and integrated the geocentric model into their dogma then astronomers and mathematicians went "well actually it turns that's wrong" and religious dogma doesn't just change as change creates doubt and doubt opposes faith.
The Christian models are based on stories from Babylon that they gave to the Jews, which are also from Egyptian sources. This in turn can give it a "sheep" or "slavery" like attitude regardless.
Not every scientist is spiritual or what have you, some work or major in it for a career and decent paying job. Progress is the only thing life is about memetically, or meme-wise, according to observation. Distractions run rampant in society, not only for recreation. When art and science separated during the Renaissance 17th-18th century rationalists asserted moral superiority over all irrational things, leading to a reductionist, materialistic mindset. It doesn't mean you have to monopolize bio enhancements.
That is one popular theory, not nearly as popular as the Big Bang because it doesn't explain the redshift but it's a contender.
It isn't a popular theory, most astronomers believe the Big Bang happened. Edison tried to monopolize electric currents and put Tesla out the picture, possibly to make more money. It would explain the redshift, there would just be different reasons for it. Not all redshift is for the same reason.
Yeah that's the leading theory on death.
Doctrines sometimes mention something about a life after death or reincarnation. It could be bullshit, because computers and programming are supposed to make people live forever through the superquantum computer in virtual reality.

Top Bottom