• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What draws you to music

DaviPop

shinyhappyperson
Local time
Today 8:50 PM
-->
This is something I've been thinking about a lot, recently. What I found out about myself is that, at least at first, music became a way to experience culture.

I grew up in a ratty, blue collar town where mullets and Iron Maiden T-shirts are still in vogue. I would describe it as a cultural black hole. I was a reactionary teenager who didn't just want something different from what I was getting, I wanted the total opposite. This of course lead to rather unfortunate phases, as teenagerdom tends to do, such as an embarrassing stint as a deistic Satanist trying genuinely to practice voodoo.

But perhaps the most fortunate thing it lead me to was the record store where I would find myself digging through CD's and finding the most beautiful, different things.

"The Sex Pistols? Who names their band that? What's a Sex Pistol?"

"Gangsta rap? This is everything I've ever been told is scary about cities and racial minorities! I'm in!"

I became lost in a world of what I would describe as "outsider art", at least from my very limited perspective. Punk rock, novelty music, hip-hop. Why rip the bong and listen to Styx and zone out for the umpteenth time when you could put on Tiny Tim instead and sing along in a bad falsetto and giggle your stoned asses off?

And I found I could empathize with these artists more than, say, Metallica or whatever country-pop act was buzzing that year. In my area a popular saying was "rap is crap" but Eminem is a piece of white trash from a broken family that does more pills than he should and is mad about it, just like I was/am. Nihilism and desperate socio-economic situation has driven the members of NWA and/or people they knew to do unseemly things. Sure my family didn't come from the same environment and I knew nothing about the black, inner-city life that they talked about, but I was ready and eager to learn and to some degree my family was the same. It's survival and the seeking of empowerment by the disenfranchised. I even empathized with the "moneycashhoes" rap that is so disparaged. I've never had a lot in my life and it feels good to be able to buy myself something nice. It's a very novel experience.

Then I started forming my own bands and music was no longer a way to absorb culture, it became a way to create it, to shape at least a little piece of what was my rural community in my own image for better and for worse (but mostly for worse, admittedly). We made T-shirts, put on house shows, gave our fellow bored teenagers something to do. Sure it wasn't always constructive but I think that's powerful.

Lately, that's what has been drawing me to music, that feeling. Not just in the music I listen to but in the music I create. Experiencing the lives of others and sharing my own experiences.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 10:50 PM
-->
Relaxation, or a deepening of my current(rare) emotional state.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
mhmm, I think music is quite powerfully linked to identity. I remember growing up you could almost distinguish group identities by the music they listened to.

Earliest powerful experience was when a friend let me listen to King Crimson's album 'In the Court of the Crimson King' over a lunch break in school. I had no idea what a mellotron was as until then I'd only listened to conventional rock. The sound was just so unfamiliar (yet familiar in a surreal dream-like way), otherworldly and almost terrifying that I was held in awe of it. Seeking out alien landscapes has been a sub-interest in music to me, but not all encompassing.

Around then or after that I was drawn to music as something I could carve my own niche in and thus explore myself and feel present in apart from others, who I largely felt alienated by (perhaps like the op.) It was the first form of art I was drawn to in a strong way and I think it was a maturing outlet for me.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Music empowers the moment or mood when selected well. Helps induce preferable emotional states. Allows for faster releasing of imagination, motivation and rest. Makes me forget like a drug.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today 9:50 AM
-->
Music awakens and deepens my emotional states and let's me dream them out. I very much enjoy it.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 5:50 AM
-->
Enjoyment of technical ability. Appreciation of expression through music.

DaviPop

shinyhappyperson
Local time
-->
Around then or after that I was drawn to music as something I could carve my own niche in and thus explore myself and feel present in apart from others, who I largely felt alienated by (perhaps like the op.)

Yes!

I also feel like I've worked out large parts of my identity through my musical expression. In retrospect most of my juvenile work was an attempt to express my own alienation by making my audience feel as alienated as I did. So we wrote songs like "Hitlers Ballsack" and drew swastikas on our foreheads and during live performances did stuff like throw raw meat or cat turds at the audience.

But that was never satisfying. People just had the same reaction to me that I felt like I had to them, they were scared and repulsed sure but it's not enough to just make an audience feel that way without the personal context to engender understanding. Yeah, some people admired me for it but those people tended to be sickos and the type of people I have since cut out of my life.

Now that I'm older and more mature I feel confident in my ability to express myself in ways that are more approachable and don't rely on cheap shock tactics.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 12:50 PM
-->
Music empowers the moment or mood when selected well. Helps induce preferable emotional states. Allows for faster releasing of imagination, motivation and rest. Makes me forget like a drug.

Music awakens and deepens my emotional states and let's me dream them out. I very much enjoy it.

^ Primarily a mix of these. Although I like to choose music that suits my mood, music also provides a way for me to experience/amplify psychoemotional states. So when I'm searching for new music, that translates not only to looking for new sounds but also new feelings and new thoughts. Some music lowers my social inhibitions and makes me more affable or assertive.

Initially I just liked music more than others, but then I discovered "underground" music, which opened me up to whole new dimensions. From that point on I began to seek music, instead of just listening to what was on.

While I can totally understand the identity aspects, I never personally related much to the idea. Often you find that certain stereotypes of people listen to certain music which is a great disconnection from myself since I don't tie my identity to the music I listen to(most likely because I listen to many styles/genres), leading to conflicts of personality/values with those groups of people.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Tomorrow 5:50 AM
-->
^ Primarily a mix of these. Although I like to choose music that suits my mood, music also provides a way for me to experience/amplify psychoemotional states. So when I'm searching for new music, that translates not only to looking for new sounds but also new feelings and new thoughts. Some music lowers my social inhibitions and makes me more affable or assertive.

Initially I just liked music more than others, but then I discovered "underground" music, which opened me up to whole new dimensions. From that point on I began to seek music, instead of just listening to what was on.

While I can totally understand the identity aspects, I never personally related much to the idea. Often you find that certain stereotypes of people listen to certain music which is a great disconnection from myself since I don't tie my identity to the music I listen to(most likely because I listen to many styles/genres), leading to conflicts of personality/values with those groups of people.

I can identify with pretty much all of this.

I too seek music rather than listen to what's on. However, I've been listening to a lot of music on 8tracks.com for the last few months and it's a good way to find a medium between seeking and settling.

Variform

Banned
Local time
-->
Aye.

I fantasize on music. That it was me who wrote the song. That I perform it, which is very unlike something I would do.

And so it is bittersweet, cause I did not write or perform it, to impress a girl, which is usually the fantasy.

One of the most emotional lines in all music is Dire Straits' 'Skateaway'. Because it describes it so well.

"she gets rock n roll a rock n roll station
and a rock n roll dream
she's making movies on location
she don't know what it means
but the music make her wanna be the story
and the story was whatever was the song what it was
rollergirl don't worry
d.j. play the movies all night long

I can cry when I listen to that. So I don't listen often. I skip it on my mp3 player. There are songs I skip because they are just too much at times.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Yes!

I also feel like I've worked out large parts of my identity through my musical expression. In retrospect most of my juvenile work was an attempt to express my own alienation by making my audience feel as alienated as I did. So we wrote songs like "Hitlers Ballsack" and drew swastikas on our foreheads and during live performances did stuff like throw raw meat or cat turds at the audience.

But that was never satisfying. People just had the same reaction to me that I felt like I had to them, they were scared and repulsed sure but it's not enough to just make an audience feel that way without the personal context to engender understanding. Yeah, some people admired me for it but those people tended to be sickos and the type of people I have since cut out of my life.

Now that I'm older and more mature I feel confident in my ability to express myself in ways that are more approachable and don't rely on cheap shock tactics.

Haha, I've been through phases like that though I'm unsure if people would suspect it from my manners here. I co-ran a film society at university that was an effort to seek out the most disturbing material we could find. Personally, I don't feel such is in touch with who I am, but is something that arose out of a deep frustration with society and my inability to connect with it. It's amusing, but the lower road overall I suspect.

Identity isn't why I like music now, more initially in school. I can't really relate to the emotional emphasis as I'm not a very emotionally varied person. I think my interest now is largely atmospheric and technical.

Top Bottom