• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What does this mean

chalkdust

Local time
Today 4:42 AM
-->
When we form thoughts. What determines what thoughts we make and why we think they have a truth value. Take the Bible. Now what pops in your brain? What determines what one thinks about after taking "object" Bible as starting thought. I have severely blown my mind over this. It's really uncanny and in the process not only did I destroy Christianity but I destroyed all thought. Absolutely everything seemed absurd. Really guys. I destroyed Christianity and thought itself thinking along the lines of incessantly wondering why this meaning is being produced in my head. Guide me. I can't do it right now. Maybe you get what I am trying to adumbrate. It's kinda cool. Someone help.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 5:42 PM
-->
Thoughts are behaviors just like moving your limbs except the process isn't so outwardly visible, when we first learn to move we begin with trail-&-error (imagine an infant flailing its limbs when it sees something it wants to move towards) then once we have a behavior that seems to work we stop acting randomly (i.e. flailing) and begin experimenting with slight variations on that behavior to develop and optimize it.

Likewise thought begins with random associations before we start developing theories based upon the patterns that we were able to predict. For example after being fed several times an infant may recognize that food comes after crying and thus starts crying intentionally when it wants food, once the theory is confirmed the infant begins developing this behavior, learning to make different cries when it wants to be held, played with or have its nappy changed.

As children we develop many theories to make sense of the world around us and many of these theories are unrealistic due to a child's limited knowledge. For example it's easy for an adult to fool a child into thinking a truck with a picture of a cat on the side is full of cats, to a child this makes perfect sense, an adult however is experienced enough to understand no pet store would ever need an entire truck full of cats and that instead it's more likely to be transporting cat food.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 10:42 PM
-->
memories overlap.
associations develope.
cognitive control screens out what we think about.

Top Bottom