• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What are you guys watching on Youtube lately?

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 5:26 PM
-->
Just wondering what we all venture into on the YouWeb.

When I'm stuck on understanding a certain historical figure or want to learn more about a philosopher, a channel that I go on is StJohnsTimeline then/or Then & Now. I enjoy watching war related videos too, like Reply History and Oversimplified. To get news I watch generally everything, but for American politics I go to MSNBC. I also like watching e-sports, Warcraft 3 players such as Tod or Grubby (but then again I think I'm the only person that used to play this on here >_>). For China related things I go on this satire/propaganda channel called the China Uncensored, and for geopolitical news I go on Stratfor. For the real hardcore geopolitical and intellectual debate stuff I go on Intelligence Squared and CSIS. I've also been trying to watch videos on quantum mechanics so this is a channel that I'm going through at the moment: PBS Space Time. Oh and for music I don't really subscribe to a channel but NPR is really good for miniconcert-like vibes.

Anyway what channels/videos do we fellow nerds delve into?

Here's an NPR miniconcert of Korean Shamanists for shits and giggles (well maybe not, they're kinda.. fascinating):

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:26 PM
-->
Isaac Arthur, Elmer Fudd giving lectures about robots and spaceships, it's awesome.

Overly Sarcastic Productions, history and mythology presented in a palatable funny cartoon format, I'm particularly a fan of the series on "The Journey to the West".

Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell, this is Isaac Arthur but in cartoon format with a sprinkling of existentialism for flavor.

Exurb1a, if you binge watch these videos you'll have an existential crisis or mental breakdown, I'm not telling you not to, just fair warning.

Fact Fiend - With Karl Smallwood, basically stand-up comedy that's also informative.

Nando v Movies, movie analysis that goes beyond critique, he not only identifies what went wrong with a movie but also suggests how it could be fixed, idk why this guy isn't being paid millions to work in Hollywood post production because his suggestions seem really good.

TeamFourStar, ok so start with the Hellsing Ultimate Abridged series, then the DragonBall Z Abridged series, and then if you still want more there's the Vegeta Plays series.

SovietWomble, he updates once in a blue moon but his videos are literally laugh-out-loud hilarious.

Shammy, the talking owl tickles my funny bone.

PhlyDaily, there's something deeply satisfying about a tank shell penetrating another tank and exploding inside, unfortunately I have neither the time nor bandwidth to play War Thunder so I watch these videos instead.

Daily Dose Of Internet, it's clickbait but it's high quality clickbait, no hentai or stupid jokes, it's all reasonably interesting/amusing stuff.

TheCrafsMan SteadyCraftin, the way he speaks is soothing to me.

Fiaura The Tank Girl, easy to dismiss because the chanel host is a brony but the Aeronautica, Men at Arms and For Science videos are actually quite interesting.

How Ridiculous, the Australian version of Dude Perfect so better in every way.

Lord Bung, maker of the animated series "Confinement" which is based off the SCP Foundation universe, I really like this series.

TierZoo, imagine life on Earth was an MMO and someone had a youtube channel about ranking the different "classes" by tier, that's this channel in a nutshell.

The Greybeards (people who know lots about making things):
- AvE
- This Old Tony
- Adam Savage
- JohnnyQ90
- Practical Engineering
- James Bruton
- Christoph Laimer
- Real Engineering
- Naomi 'SexyCyborg' Wu, lol you will learn nothing

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
You sure you're on the right forum? I mean like, most of those channels seem very ISTP oriented. Futurism, making gadgets and stuff like that.

Thanks for linking Overly Sarcastic Productions, looks like there's history to be panned out and explored there :D

And by the way, is futurism like a thing in Australia or would that just be your personal taste of interest? Curious curious.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You sure you're on the right forum? I mean like, most of those channels seem very ISTP oriented. Futurism, making gadgets and stuff like that.
*looks into it* Huh you may be right.

And by the way, is futurism like a thing in Australia or would that just be your personal taste of interest? Curious curious.
Oh well y'know I don't mean to brag but every village needs its idiot.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today 4:26 AM
-->
Holy balls those are some huge lists. I feel that I use youtube much differently lol.

I float from recommended video to recommended video. But here’s a few channels that I can recall.

The Crash Course series’ are all quite interesting. Green brothers produced I want to say?

Quite of the “x-phile” channels. (Numberphile, computerphile) Run by a guy called Brady Haren.

Kurgestatz(obv. wrong sp) / in a nutshell series.

Tierzoo

Jim Sterling (mostly for amusement though, not super interested in game news)

So-called ‘long plays’ of games from my childhood. (Full playthroughs with no commentary of games I never beat)

And the automatic music playlists. I use youtube to listen to a lot of music.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 5:56 PM
-->
I share a lot of channels with Cog.

I also have a lot of politics/philosophy, gaming, and media critics. Wowee 150 subscriptions I thought I'd culled recently...

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 8:26 AM
-->
No one knows Captain Disillusion ? I thought he would be super popular here. He's a youtube supehero part of the rationalist community who debunks fake videos, he's an expert in special effects.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm familiar with his videos but I don't really watch them, the fakes are too obvious for me to be curious about how they're done.

In a similar vein Thunderf00t was interesting until he got a hate boner for anything Elon Musk.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
He has a lot, some of them are quite impressive imo. I guess I had no conception of how special effects were done beforehand though, so it was more educational for me. I'm also really impressed with how well constructed his videos are.

I watch Chris Ray Gun sometimes, I find him quite funny. Videogamedunkey as well.

Quite a lot of French youtubers, Defakeator, he debunks conspiracy theories, Dirty Biology, explains biological phenomena...

I watch John Oliver, the daily shows as well.

Oooh I love "look mum no computer" an insane dude who builds modular synthesizers and circuit bends EVERYTHING. He's actually got a lot of good diy electronics advice tho.

Here he constructs a furby organ :
Here he makes a flamethrower module :
Here he turns a lightsaber into an instrument :

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
what the f is that a series ?

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Too much of YouTube is a time sink with entry level infotainment. I try to only use it to relax.

Aside from music/composition channels (8bit Music Theory, Miracle of Sound, David Bruce, Adam Neely, Rick Beato etc.) I semi-regularly watch PBS space time and Isaac Arthur for futurism and Robert Miles for AI tech.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Apparently the obesity crisis may be due to our carb/sugar rich diets causing our metabolisms to become inefficient at processing fats, this inefficiency results in overeating because instead of relying on our body fat between meals we're relying on always having something in our stomach, it's a self reinforcing cycle.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
I find youtube to be accessible enough to help me develop the interest to start paying attention to something. Otherwise I'd just filter it out. A lot of it is surface level, but I find it valuable all the same.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 3:26 AM
-->
Most of what I use YouTube for is Music - especially since the PC I currently have can't download iTunes where all my music is.

Currently listening to this:

soupymess

kick trees
Local time
-->
The Food Ranger. Red Chili Wontons seem like everything I've ever wanted

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
I don't understand why you're squabbling over climate change here?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Getting baited into a derail?

I commented on the OP like 2 seconds later, Hado. Besides, this whole thread is a derail because it deals with immediate hedonistic pleasures rather than things of substance.

But here's a YouTube video for you to digest:

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 7:26 PM
-->

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
Fiyaaaaa

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 2:26 AM
-->
What it's like to be a girl in VRCHAT

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I want a bespoke Samuel Hayden avatar and soundboard so I can live my dream of being a menacing 8ft tall cyborg.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
@Cognisant
That's an interesting question. In worm there is a hero called Purity, who is part of an aryan faction called Empire88. She tends to specifically target criminal elements of colour, and undergoes the struggle your boy describes.

I don't really understand what your boy was talking about with making a character from flaws. His example of something that wouldn't be accepted in these politically correct times was a straight white male billionaire businessmen superhero, but ironman, batman, and green arrow all meet that description and are near the height of their all time popularity. Also, none of these things are flaws. Seems like a rageclick channel to me.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I tend to think of them not so much as "flaws" but rather "reasons I don't want to be this person" for example being a vampire is generally a pretty awesome deal but there's no shortage of characters who are all "woe is me" about it. That would make a lot more sense if say your beloved spouse was murdered by a vampire who drained them to death and turned you soon after, then every time you feed you can't help but be wracked with grief and guilt as you're basically reenacting that memory. All the other vampires don't have your problem because your problem isn't being a vampire, it's the vampire related psychological trauma, leading you to deeply hate yourself and project that hate onto the other vampires to whom you make it your unlife's mission to destroy.

In that sense being a billionaire businessman superhero obviously isn't a flaw unless there's some very specific reason why being billionaire businessman superhero isn't something you want to be.

Tony Stark having a near death experience that gives him a first hand perspective on the fallout of the arms trade is kinda lame, fortunately he has a plethora of other problems so although he has no singular profound reason for being Ironman the fact remains that without his alter ego Stark is a thoroughly unlikable person, which actually makes him likeable as a character.

I think Batman is actually the least interesting character in his franchise, the pure embodiment of plot development, his origin story is irrelevant because he never undergoes any real character development. In a sense Batman isn't a character, he's the setting, it's the villains, the sidekicks and sometimes even Gotham itself which are the actual characters of his stories.

Seems like a rageclick channel to me.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
I didn't want this topic to be another Random Thought topic but meh guess it turned out that way.

@Blarraun

I was wondering if you had anything to say about this Vox video? I noticed that you're in Poland atm.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
I tend to think of them not so much as "flaws" but rather "reasons I don't want to be this person" for example being a vampire is generally a pretty awesome deal but there's no shortage of characters who are all "woe is me" about it. That would make a lot more sense if say your beloved spouse was murdered by a vampire who drained them to death and turned you soon after, then every time you feed you can't help but be wracked with grief and guilt as you're basically reenacting that memory. All the other vampires don't have your problem because your problem isn't being a vampire, it's the vampire related psychological trauma, leading you to deeply hate yourself and project that hate onto the other vampires to whom you make it your unlife's mission to destroy.

In that sense being a billionaire businessman superhero obviously isn't a flaw unless there's some very specific reason why being billionaire businessman superhero isn't something you want to be.

Tony Stark having a near death experience that gives him a first hand perspective on the fallout of the arms trade is kinda lame, fortunately he has a plethora of other problems so although he has no singular profound reason for being Ironman the fact remains that without his alter ego Stark is a thoroughly unlikable person, which actually makes him likeable as a character.

I think Batman is actually the least interesting character in his franchise, the pure embodiment of plot development, his origin story is irrelevant because he never undergoes any real character development. In a sense Batman isn't a character, he's the setting, it's the villains, the sidekicks and sometimes even Gotham itself which are the actual characters of his stories.

yeah but the point is that he's wrong

there's nothing stopping white billionaire businessmen from being accepted and even popular superheroes because it matters more that the superhero is just good.

and yeah, rageclick channels are bad when the 'rage' they're peddling is wrong at best and misleading at worst

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
His example of something that wouldn't be accepted in these politically correct times was a straight white male billionaire businessmen superhero, but ironman, batman, and green arrow all meet that description and are near the height of their all time popularity.
yeah but the point is that he's wrong
Actually his point was that being a "white male billionaire businessmen" being a flaw is what made these characters popular, that they're not popular in spite of their flaws but rather that they're popular because of their flaws.

Also, none of these things are flaws.
That's the crux of the issue and in a sense that's right, being a "white male billionaire businessmen" isn't a personal flaw however it's still an effective villain archetype because there are a lot of "white male billionaire businessmen" in the real world who are pretty damn villainous. In that sense being WMBB is a representational flaw, if you didn't know who Ironman was and I described to you a billionaire industrialist weapons developer/manufacturer who built a robotic supersuit to carry out his own brand of vigilante justice while blatantly acting outside the law and getting away with it by a combination of wealth, popularity and friends in government (specifically the military) you might think I'm talking about the bad guy.

Is being a Nazi a flaw? Not in of itself, but being associated with or in support of the Nazi party is certainly not a virtue either, arguably it's a flaw by association and likewise although it isn't a personal flaw Tony Stark is arguably flawed by his association with the American Military Industrial Complex and obscenely wealthy/powerful WMBB the world over.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
I don't think the video is coherent, and I don't think your take on what the author means is coherent either. 1step2step doesn't want us shitting up his thread though (I don't really understand his intentions either but w/e), so maybe start a new one. Or you can let it die. Your choice.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
Nah I don't mind, all threads on intpf goes haywire anyways. I've come to acknowledge that... phenomenon. Let us be organic!

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
organic is orgasmic

also this kind of interpretation of what constitutes a flaw and what the video author meant belong in the bin

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I was wondering if you had anything to say about this Vox video? I noticed that you're in Poland atm.
You can look at the like/dislike ratio and pretty much tell this Vox video is a piece of propaganda.

If you were actually interested in seeing a broad picture you wouldn't stop at Vox but find plentiful amateur/unrelated footage of the independence day celebrations.

They tried to portray a family-friendly patriotic event as a nationalist rally by manipulating the footage to only show what they wanted to "prove". This anti-polish piece is the same every year. Nationalists, a minority of people in almost any country mind you, have a separate march that is not endorsed by the organisers of the mainstream march.

It's nothing new that any attempt where the european nation tries to celebrate its cultural heritage or sovereignty is misconstrued as anti-EU/racist posturing by the western media. Especially after Poland refused many requests and recommendations of the EU parliament (Because our ruling party is stupid and the requests were bizarre but that's another topic). Western media seem to hate anyone who identifies with or is proud of their european heritage and because for centuries this european heritage was caucasian and is represented by caucasians, it is portrayed as white supremacy.

Meanwhile in China foreigners are killed randomly on the streets, spied on and blamed for bringing AIDS and in South Korea foreigners are subject to discrimination and ostracism based on their skin color, go figure.

lightfire

Local time
-->
Anyway what channels/videos do we fellow nerds delve into?

Uhh you people on this forum are smart. I watch music stuff, dum things, food things, or game play things. Today I also watched an entire tiesto concert and how to eat a grapefruit.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
I don't go on youtube very often, but a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon an utterly fascinating channel: Steve1989MREInfo

In a nutshell, Steve is a very polite food reviewer (of sorts), but he only reviews military MREs (Meal, Ready to Eat), aka rations. It's kinda like those product unboxing videos, but actually interesting. Many of his reviews are of food that is somehow preserved from WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, and those are just fascinating. I quite like the WWII ones. He did one where he ate canned beef from the Boer War (circa 1899-1902), and another where he ate some American Civil War (circa 1861-1865) hardtack, which is a sort of biscuit.

Here's a good place to start, because it's a breakfast kit from 1942, so it's not really gross, but fascinating that it's lasted so long.

I find this one particularly great. It's a 1945 Canadian MRE, which was notoriously bad back then, and apparently worse now. He has a few minor existential crises along the way with this one - so many great lines too:

This Vietnam War era one is mostly inedible, but has a classic line on smoking cigarettes (18:39):

Here's the Boer War beef one. Heads up - it's kinda disgusting.

Top Bottom