• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What are you currently playing?

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
Today 12:28 PM
-->
The analogy is a false one because games are games because of the gameplay.

This is just semantics, there's no need to have a logical definition of what constitutes a game. How are dialogue choices not gameplay anyway?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 8:28 AM
-->
Right I forgot about the drunk Dwarf, I think he's an ESTP.

I strongly disagree on INFP for Leliana, she's a total air head who seems to be all about advocating her Si aquirings. I see Si at work.. hencewhy I went with ESFJ, I don't really remember if she was particularly extroverted, but she always seemed very enthusiastic which lead me to believe she was.

That's really funny, beause she's one of the ones I've very sure about, and my INFP guy friend fell totally in love with her... she was his INFP dream girl. She's definitely one of the confident INFPs, not a wallflower / hide in her room sort. A true romantic.

On the other hand Fe Dom seems totally wrong now that I think about it, she's all about Fi.. in the way she knows her stance.. I think I'd attribute that to Si rather than Fi though. Bah I end up with ESFJ. At least tertiary Se

No, you were right about the Fi. She's totally Fi, expressed through Ne vision and applied to various situations via Ne. She's also got some Si tert grounding.

I was about an inch from typing IxFP on Alistair so I could go with ISFP for him.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure about SP. His whininess can come across as F, but I'm not sure if it is. I wonder if he's an Enneagram 9, though, based on his interpersonal style, his wanting to avoid conflict, joke all the time, keep things casual and friendly and on good terms with everyone, avoid strong stances, etc. I feel more confident in an Enneagram read for him than an MBTI read.

Wynne seems a little too contained to be an E to me. But I don't remember her too well.

Well, she's a little more restrained than Nancy Grace, but still the same kind of outspoken on her moral values of duty and responsibility and social compassion (and not in the ethereal sense that L expresses). Practical, a bit dour, down to earth, concretely relevant.

She also tried to lecture me all the time. Annoying. *doh*

I can see the problem with Zev as well, there's an issue with the guy being both driven and pretty calm and collected.

yeah, he's kind of hard to figure. I mean, I know how he would respond in a situation (he's expedient and plays situations to suit his own ends, for example; and he also likes to "play," it entices him). But I'm not sure of his MBTI type.

Oh, Oghren was probably ESTP?

... aside from all that, I still liked Morrigan the most I think.

kvothe27

Local time
Today 6:28 AM
-->
This is just semantics, there's no need to have a logical definition of what constitutes a game. How are dialogue choices not gameplay anyway?

Why is there no need? It's not just semantics. It's important in demonstrating that it's a false analogy.

A medium of entertainment mainly consisting of dialogue choices along with a story strikes me as more of an interactive movie than a game. It reminds of those books where you can make choices for the character, skip pages, and resume the story elsewhere.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
An interactive movie is a game. You're making choices and they have effects on the outcome.
Yes the proportionality in terms of content is different but that does not prevent it from being a game, its just another form of gameplay. And some people prefer certain forms etc.

Personally I'd not allow anyone to skip anything, but if you're gonna do it why not be consequent about it?

Jennywocky: I might replay Origins again sometimes. I've a feeling I may be quite biased about Leliana because I didn't like her as a person (I liked her as a character though and wouldn't want her out of the game).

My personal favorite would probably be Alistair.. I just wish that they'd added his character development as part of the story rather than some weird optional counterintuitive sidequest. He's such a baby if you don't harden him.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 1:28 PM
-->
historically the cut scenes have been a secondary thing, often mere filler content.

now, i dunno.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
Is an interactive book a game as well? These interactive movies seem more similar to interactive books than they do to what one usually thinks of when thinking of a game. Given the dissimilarity between an interactive movie and what is normally considered gameplay, your definition of game seems too broad to be of much use. If we wanted to employ such a broad definition, we would just be making further distinctions which would still make it a false analogy.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Why is there no need? It's not just semantics. It's important in demonstrating that it's a false analogy.

A medium of entertainment mainly consisting of dialogue choices along with a story strikes me as more of an interactive movie than a game. It reminds of those books where you can make choices for the character, skip pages, and resume the story elsewhere.

So how do we define a "game"?

Eric Berne considered interpersonal transactions a "game" of sorts. The term hasn't always been used exclusively for recreative pasttimes. It's all a form of transaction, actually, with certain rules in play... whether you're talking about a more subtle storyline or an actual "fight/competition".

Jennywocky: I might replay Origins again sometimes. I've a feeling I may be quite biased about Leliana because I didn't like her as a person (I liked her as a character though and wouldn't want her out of the game).

Why didn't you like her again? It's just funny knowing one person who was madly in love with her and another who didn't like her. (looks back -- oh, she's an "airhead.")

I thought she was kind of neat but a little too opinionated/intense for me. I didn't see her as an airhead, I saw her as a visionary romantic but kind of impractical and needing to get back to reality a bit, even if I could appreciate her views.

My personal favorite would probably be Alistair.. I just wish that they'd added his character development as part of the story rather than some weird optional counterintuitive sidequest. He's such a baby if you don't harden him.

I know.... whine whine whine from him. I felt like I had to slap the boy around to get him into shape, so to speak... and I had never signed up to be his mother.

But an interesting character.

Anyway, I like the SWKOTOR and SWTOR games because they involve pretty thorough use of "storyline" (and it's probably the best part of SWTOR, honestly -- one of the best "single person questing" MMO's out there, ha ha, rather than focusing most on group play!) while still having some standard game/fighting mechanics. I like a mix of play myself. But choosing Light/Dark options that impact the NPC response and other choices that impact your companions kind of makes relating to others into "play/game transaction" in the most obvious sense.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
Do you consider an interactive book a game?

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
That question does not highlight anything important. Go look up game on wikipedia.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
So how do we define a "game"?

Eric Berne considered interpersonal transactions a "game" of sorts. The term hasn't always been used exclusively for recreative pasttimes. It's all a form of transaction, actually, with certain rules in play... whether you're talking about a more subtle storyline or an actual "fight/competition".

I'm aware of this. Just about anything can be considered a game. I don't have an explicit definition in mind -- just an intuitive one. All I can really hope to do is appeal to your own intuitive definitions of what constitutes a game at this point for wikipedia is failing me. *hangs head in shame* :D

kvothe27

Local time
-->
That question does not highlight anything important. Go look up game on wikipedia.

see prior post

Well, whatever. I'm obviously not going to get anywhere with this. *bows out*

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I'm aware of this. Just about anything can be considered a game. I don't have an explicit definition in mind -- just an intuitive one. All I can really hope to do is appeal to your own intuitive definitions of what constitutes a game at this point for wikipedia is failing me. *hangs head in shame* :D

Well, I think the intuitive understanding of game changes depending on the person... maybe even including their gender.

"Girl play" and "guy play" even from childhood seems to reside in different priorities in US culture at least, and that's not even an obscure reality. Does it mean that "boy games" are more valid than "girl games" or vice versa? No.

And like i said, I value both kinds and mostly just hate the fringes.

Just don't see the point in getting worked up if a particular purchasable game happens to suit the needs of more than one type of gamer. No one in DA2 would have been sort-changed by having an option to skip the fighting, although I think it would have made the game much shorter and not worth the $50 or whatever it was.... I really enjoy the lightsaber combat in SWTOR.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
boys are more into the actual gaming (competitive element) of games though.

*DOH*

I guess I took the thread on a tangent, sorry...

.... cuz that's not really true, unless you define "game" a certain way. Which is my point.

Women are damned competitive against each other. Just not the way you're thinking, because you're thinking about it in terms of how guys compete.

I would say men have more impersonal games (in general) than women do (in general). The games tend to be more personal for women.

And much of the electronic games out there are more impersonal competition (male-oriented).

kvothe27

Local time
-->
I suppose this is when a good propaganda campaign would come in handy in order to get my way. Don't. . . have. . . the . . .energy

I'm still curious though, even though it won't make me right, do either of you, Jennywocky and Cherry Cola, consider interactive books games on an intuitive level?

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
*DOH*

I guess I took the thread on a tangent, sorry...

.... cuz that's not really true, unless you define "game" a certain way. Which is my point.

Women are damned competitive against each other. Just not the way you're thinking, because you're thinking about it in terms of how guys compete.

I would say men have more impersonal games (in general) than women do (in general). The games tend to be more personal for women.

And much of the electronic games out there are more impersonal competition (male-oriented).

if it's personal it's obviously not going to be packaged as some external set of rules you agree on, like that which you subscribe to when buying and playing a game. females may engage in interpersonal competition, sure, but the "game" as a product or phenomenon - a manufactured alternative reality with rigid boundaries in which to exercise certain quantifiable abilities - caters much more to males.

males compete more overtly.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
In the case of dragon age 2 and its dialogue system I think its clear cut enough to fall under this: a manufactured alternative reality with rigid boundaries in which to exercise certain quantifiable abilities

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I'm still curious though, even though it won't make me right, do either of you, Jennywocky and Cherry Cola, consider interactive books games on an intuitive level?

Like Choose Your Own Adventure books?

I'm probably more apt to consider the CYOA books from Jackson and Livingstone years back more "games" because they involved multiple selections and often even skills/spells and some occasional die rolls.

I did consider Zork and Infocom's text adventures to be games as well.

And I'm even playing The Walking Dead on my computer, and it's all really a story where you interact with the characters and solve problems.

If there is a gray area, though, it would be just the plain old "choice" books that I don't know if I would respond to as games per se. They aren't quite complex enough for me.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Erh I'm not really familiar with interactive books, I guess it would depend on what level of interactivity they offered. In a way they are all games.. but at the same time I'd rather draw the arbitrary line at some point.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Today 5:28 AM
-->
I just beat Dishonored. It was pretty fun. Way too short, but fun. I liked all the stealth, but too bad I suck at not killing people. The story was also pretty predictable. The level layouts were really fun. They gave you a good amount of options to meet your objective. Combat was exciting and pretty balanced.

Other than that, I'm on my 4th play through of Skyrim. This time I have the Dragonborn DLC. Haven't gotten too far with my new character, though. Also, I'm play Morrowind for my 6th or 7th time. It's definitely lacking in some areas, due to ago. But, I still think it's the better of the Elder Scroll's series.

Soulreaper

Local time
Today 7:28 AM
-->
I just beat Dishonored. It was pretty fun. Way too short, but fun. I liked all the stealth, but too bad I suck at not killing people. The story was also pretty predictable. The level layouts were really fun. They gave you a good amount of options to meet your objective. Combat was exciting and pretty balanced.

Other than that, I'm on my 4th play through of Skyrim. This time I have the Dragonborn DLC. Haven't gotten too far with my new character, though. Also, I'm play Morrowind for my 6th or 7th time. It's definitely lacking in some areas, due to ago. But, I still think it's the better of the Elder Scroll's series.

I have to agree with you on that Morrowind is much more open. You can skip the main quest, level up, get the weapons and glove then kill the daedric lord and end the mq.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Morrowind's the only one I have played, and I remember it being very open-ended. I did get Skyrim recently, but my bluray drive blew out and I haven't been able to install it until I replace the drive.

Still having fun playing SWTOR trying out the different storylines. I think the storyline quests are probably the best in any MMO I've played so far. The game's fun enough, but I think once I explore enough of the eight storylines, I'll get bored and go play something else.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow 1:28 AM
-->
Metro 2033 then Metro 2034: Last Light, which is a very pretty game, graphics wise.

Soulreaper

Local time
-->
Are you of the DARKSIDE or the lightside
Sith marauder

kvothe27

Local time
-->
Thief: Deadly Shadows

Better than Dishonored, despite its age. The cradle mission is especially a classic. It has its flaws, to be sure, but the overall experience is just awesome. I think the thief games are still the standard to beat when it comes to first person sneakers (there really aren't enough of them).

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
-->
My younger brother is trying to get me into DOTA 2. After about 3 hours I've decided I just suck. It'll give me something to spend time with him doing, but I don't know if I'll get good enough to play with him. The game mildly fun so far.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Will start playing Journey tomorrow. Hopefully it is as good as rumored.

Just finsihed Enslaved: on a trip to Odyssey or something like that. A terrible disappointment. Health potions everywhere, the linear path you were to follow was highlighted all the time. Even two hours into the game, one of the main characters said to throw her up to a ledge that was blinking and had an icon above it ._________.

It just stops being a game and becomes more of a movie where you have to press a button every now and then to continue. It could have been a worthwhile game to play if i hadn't been so lacking in challenge and immersion. The characters seemed interesting in the beginning, but turned out to be fairly plain.

Most games these days seem so utterly lacking in depth, creativity and newness. I'm so fucking bored with all the same stories, personalities and gameplay. The enslaved thing actually made my mind sluggish and dull.

The games of this age seems to cater to the achievment seeking gamer who wants faced paced action, a shallow story and boring stereotypical characters. Preferably while having close to zero chance of dying. :rip:

Epicure

Mediator
Local time
-->
I do find with my limited gaming time now, looking for new games is basically finding something with enough novelty to keep me interested, an intriguing story, or plain old nostalgia. Still like dabbling with MMO's for some reason.

I'm playing Dead Space 2, because dismembering mutant, alien, zombies satisfies my appetite for carnage, and because in this case humanity's misguided attempts to gain spiritual unity is actually just going to cause them all to willingly turn themselves into mindless horrors, cause you know things can only get better after death.

Deep_in_thought

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm playing World of Warcraft, Team Fortress 2, Civ 5, Minecraft, SimCity online, and Skyrim.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
GTA V

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 11:28 PM
-->
I started replaying Warsow.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
minesweeper

dang, love the mnml_gfx and the understated plotline

lord methous

Local time
-->
The Stanley Parable, I have also been playing Alpha Centauri for the first time. Really I am thinking that Alpha Centauri is better then any of the Civilization games I have played. Which only the original Civilization I have yet to play.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Just finished Super Mario Bros. 3 for the first time without using the warp whistle cheat. Childhood complete. :evil:

Cavalli

"Tyger, Tyger"
Local time
Today 8:28 PM
-->
GTA V - got it for Christmas, Civ V, Counter Strike and Starbound c~:

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Fire Emblem IV: Genealogy of the Holy War, Fire Emblem 13, Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition 2012v, more or less.

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,
killing floor, gas guzzlers extreme, sins of a solar empire: rebellion, universe sandbox etc

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
soon i've rescued all the numbers from the bombs. plot thickens.

The Void

Banned
Local time
-->
Subway surfer lol

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Just finished Super Mario Bros. 3 for the first time without using the warp whistle cheat. Childhood complete. :evil:

Along similar lines, I'm finishing up Jak and Daxter I and shall start II soon. This time I'll actually beat that horribly hard game.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I bought the new Tomb Raider (prequel, March 2013) for 80% off on Steam. Great sale. Only played the intro and part of the first section so far, but it's quite excellent.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
lol. Me and my youngest brethren finished Mario I, II, III, and World via co-op during our childhood, sans the warp whistle, so take that. Warp whistle was discovered afterwards, more or less, and added to the replay value somehow.

For good measure, I never finished Skies of Arcadia Legends for a couple reasons and am still planning on getting to that. Started a new Fire Emblem 9 playthrough a few months ago but set it aside since I was doing FEIV, and planned on doing FE V afterwards. Started FE 9 (for the 7th time) because I never played FE 10 and wanted to get to that as well, after I found an abandoned Wii on the lightrail. Received FE 13 for Xmas so that's I started that... Wanted to finish Genealogy of the Holy War & Thracia 776 (first playthroughs) before I started Awakening though... Not sure if there's even enough time for all this.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
Dark Souls
Demon's Souls

I'm in love with these games.

Ludvig & Sverker

Rhizomatic Nomad
Local time
-->
I'm in the middle of exploring the waters of Starbound. So far its an amazing experience and worth the money. It is basically Terraria set on a universe scale at the moment, but with three updates alone this month its been expanding rapidly into its own game. I can't wait to play the final product of this game!

Top Bottom