• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What are you currently playing?

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:01 PM
-->
For me right now it is RE5, but it will be Stormrise when that comes out on the 24th here.

Local time
Today 6:01 AM
-->
Mercenaries on RE5 and Oblivion IV.

bigC Jarvis

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:01 AM
-->
well i am currently playing GH World Tour!!! this is one of my favorites. but in case you have never played the GH Aerosmith i think that one is gay, the song choice is rly rly moronic! and the fact that it cost the same as the normal GH and had half the amoount of songs is another gay attribute. but ya that game is pretty much the only thing i like to play at all.
thing 2 likes all types of Mario.

Sugarpop

accepts advice on his English
Local time
Today 7:01 AM
-->
Team Fortress 2 has been my game for some months. I'm also playing Battlefield 2142 with a friend every now and then. Recently bought Oddworld: Abe's Odysse for sentimental reasons.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
Today 5:01 PM
-->
Some Left 4 Dead, some Team Fortress 2, some Doom (of all games.. lol) and that's about it.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
The victim. Or the fool. Not sure.

Maybe I'm the one being played.

Life's a game...

Cobra

Local time
Today 1:01 AM
-->
Tekton, to hear your timid bilingual voice on the Snapvine thread, then come here and read these kinds of hilarious posts puzzles me. It's like the Chocolate Rain guy from Youtube.

I'm currently playing Crisis Core (from the Final Fantasy VII series), though, I'm not very impressed. At this point, I'm INTPing it out just to finish what I've started.

EDIT: Not that timid, bilingual voices are incapable of rolling, witty banter. It's just a weird match.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1424

I beat crisis core awhile ago. It was pretty, but gameplay was boring and annoyingly random. Currently playing fallout 3 and portal for the first time. Both of which are awesome.

bdubs

Local time
Today 2:01 AM
-->
I have been playing phantasy star online with a friend for the last week or so. I have also played a small amount of counter strike source, team fortress 2, mario kart, oblivion, warcraft 3 and gutair hero in the last month or so. I most likely will not dive very deeply into any game until starcraft 2 or diablo 3 is released in the next year/ few years.

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->
World of Goo and Ricochet Infinity. Though Braid is finally coming out on PC in 5 days! I've been wanting to play that since.. forever.

Venture

Banned
Local time
-->
Far Cry 2 on the PC and Empire Total War.
Im Growng tired of Empire total War as it becomes less challenging and more
pedictibale and the small choice of factions and diplomatic choices get
boring too.

Far Cry 2 is a better game than I thought I bought it for $15.00 on steam and
stopped playng the story mode once I discovered that playng online is funner
Tryng to defeat other people in teams rather than trying to kill 30 people by
self.

I also just stopped playing Star Wars: Empire At War, Once I discovered
Empire Total War

Insanity

Local time
-->
I'm a total MMO addict. However with not many options out there I am playing City of Heroes. Oh how I wish EverQuest was the same old game I loved...

shatterspike1

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Disgaea 2. It and its prequel have absorbed over 200 hours of my life.

boomkablamo

Local time
-->
Call of duty world at war online.

very different from halo 3 online, which is what i usually play.

i like the rpg aspects of the online a lot and the realistic gameplay

ChristopherL

Banned
Local time
-->
Little Big Planet and Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

Minicool

The Lazy Thinker
Local time
-->
Litlebigplanet .
Too addictive to stop

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:01 PM
-->
Elements the Game (online card game)
Alpha Centauri

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Been a psycho SWTOR player for the past week.
Skyrim should be coming today.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
Battlefield 3

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:01 PM
-->
Minecraft on Xbox360

Map seed is: 2760302573604644027

I call it the mines of madness because once you get underground you'll find this place is honeycombed with caves and abandoned mines, my advice is to take it slow, if you get excited and try to capture as much territory (by placing torches) as fast as you can you'll just get lost down there, especially in the abandoned mine sections, also try to implement some kind of breadcrumb system so you can find your way back to base camp.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Dynasty Warriors 3 :o

It's basically a fun stress-relief game - great for having on silent to listen to new music at the same time. I've played some of the other sequels, but 3 is the essence of the series to me: relentless button bashing and gloriously bad voice acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFA08BJUtPo

Valentas

Local time
-->
Botting Diablo 2 , no time to play

Huggogguh

Local time
-->
Been hammering through Dishonored and Civ 5 the last few weeks.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Skyrim came, but my Bluray computer drive is apparently dead. So I'm still playing SWTOR and turning Jedi to the Dark Side. Bwa ha ha.

B.C.P.

Local time
-->
^I got excited because I thought you were talking about SW(K)TOR, the old Bioware, pre-Mass Effect, RPG. I played SWKTOR I and II forward-backward, inside-and-out. Blah blah, hyphens.

Just got done playing Minecraft for about 14 hours straight. I think the dining room table I'm sitting at is pixelated? I know it's not, but I didn't sleep last night so miniature hallucinations are hijacking my visual senses with 8-bit graphics.

Anyways. Minecraft, Battlefield 3 and Shogun Total War II (waiting for Rome 2). Draw nigh, my legions!

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Well swtor is just the mmo version, with light/dark choices and companions.

I'm a big fan of swkotor 1&2.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
If you can stand the bugs, NWN 2 and its expansion MOTB are pretty much the closest you'll get to the KOTOR games, I very much recommend those if you haven't played them.

I'm playing Dragon Age 2 atm, it's "ok". The story driven dungeon crawly expansions were nice and focused with lots of great moments and fights. But the rest of the game is lackluster, whoever was responsible for the overall structure of the story needs to be fired, it's such a mess and it violates basic dramatic structure without having anything of its own to compensate.¨The templar/mage conflict is poorly illustrated, I find myself not giving a damn.

Combat is fun though, I'm playing a super offensive berserker+reaver warrior with a 1h+shield. I really like combining 1h+shield with all out offensive builds for some reason ^^

B.C.P.

Local time
-->
I was gonna type why, but I'll just say Dragon Age 1 > Dragon Age 2. Dragon Age 3? Fingers crossed. I miss KOTOR, and Mass Effect is over for now. Dragon Age is all we got left.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Well I wanted to play the DLC's, and; moreover, I enjoy the actual gameplay, Origins combat was too slow, what with the melee characters having to position themselves at just the right distance from their target before they could start attacking.

Bioware really need to shape the fuck up concerning the structure of their stories. They always do the intro>4 areas you can explore in any order you want>finale, which is getting pretty lame and predictable.

Granted they mixed it up for Dragon Age 2, but what they did there was worse by far, I don't get them. They really should let Obsidian write their scripts for them.

However, I'm pretty sure Dragon Age 3 will be a blast, they've listened to the critique they received following the release of Dragon Age 2, and they've take a huge amount of time to develop the game as they should've done with the previously mentioned installment.

Edit: Let's not forget that there's more coming in terms of Baldurs Gate, aaaaand Obsidian are working on a crowdfunded isometric crpg with some of the people who made Planescape Torment. I think those two are bound to be absolutely amazing.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I'm playing Dragon Age 2 atm, it's "ok". The story driven dungeon crawly expansions were nice and focused with lots of great moments and fights. But the rest of the game is lackluster, whoever was responsible for the overall structure of the story needs to be fired, it's such a mess and it violates basic dramatic structure without having anything of its own to compensate.¨The templar/mage conflict is poorly illustrated, I find myself not giving a damn.

Combat is fun though, I'm playing a super offensive berserker+reaver warrior with a 1h+shield. I really like combining 1h+shield with all out offensive builds for some reason ^^

My biggest issue with DA2 was that it wasn't really a continuation of DAO, but it was marketed as if it was. It's really more of a console-style game port to the PC, to try to win over console game players, but in the process they alienated the more hardcore RPG style players.

I enjoyed one play through on it but never finished a second, and it made me hesitant to consider purchasing a DA3 until I've seen reviews and have a clear sense of what I am buying.

Games just cost so darn much, and I don't have the disposable income I used to have, so I've got to be pretty particular.

kismet

Street Doc
Local time
-->
I am playing Xcom enemy unknown and Witcher 2 (even though I don't like it as much as the first one.)

Who else thinks Geralt is dreamy? Polish Geralt, not the English one.
Also, the tv show is stupid hilarious.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
My biggest issue with DA2 was that it wasn't really a continuation of DAO, but it was marketed as if it was. It's really more of a console-style game port to the PC, to try to win over console game players, but in the process they alienated the more hardcore RPG style players.

I enjoyed one play through on it but never finished a second, and it made me hesitant to consider purchasing a DA3 until I've seen reviews and have a clear sense of what I am buying.

Games just cost so darn much, and I don't have the disposable income I used to have, so I've got to be pretty particular.

Yeah I have a tendency to forget about that, hung around the Bioware forums prior to the release so I got a feel for what was coming. Pretty stupid move from their side, it's obvious there's a vacuum on the CRPG market so I really wonder what Bioware was thinking there; furthermore, did it even work out console wise? From what I've seen it did not, I recall Origins sales trumphing Dragon Age 2's by quite a lot, even on consoles.

I guess it's too much to hope for them to go back to a voiceless protagonist though. People don't seem to get that it's not the dialogue wheel which is the problem, that's a necessity if you go with a voiced PC.

NullPointer

Local time
Today 7:01 PM
-->
I just finished Mafia II, and I was mightily impressed by the story.

I was not, however, impressed by its partial incompatibility with Radeon cards, given that I have one. Floating eyelashes, flickering cloud textures obscuring your vision, and the sunlight occasionally being replaced entirely by the light from your car's brakes (which is always a dramatic event) somewhat detracted from it. That said, the driving physics were unusually good for a game of that genre, and there were relatively few non-graphical bugs. It is only superficially open-world, since there's really not much to actually do outside of missions, but that does prevent it falling into the trap of poor pacing that side-missions tend to cause in games such as those from the Grand Theft Auto series.

The game will rape your Fe though. Maybe it's the writing, maybe it's the voice acting, maybe it's both. Whatever the reason, the characters were compelling. Death scenes rarely work well in action games, since you cause so much of it through the course of the game, so those compelling characters were required in order to punch through that numbness. Anyway, it worked, and I'm still reeling.

Do consider it if you have an Nvidia card, maybe not if you have an ATI card.

Rome96

Pseudo-intellectual
Local time
-->
Waiting for my copy of Fable II to arrive. Been playing GTA IV, RDR, Jade Empire, Batman AA and Vampire Bloodlines. My only excuse is I've been really, really bored lately.

:elephant:

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 5:01 PM
-->
Yay Dishonoured!

Skyrim came, but my Bluray computer drive is apparently dead. So I'm still playing SWTOR and turning Jedi to the Dark Side. Bwa ha ha.

I'm playing SWTOR as well. (along with a few other things)

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Getting back to DA2 for a brief moment:

- Dragon Age II
Jennifer Hepler was a writer on the role-playing game Dragon Age II. The game's ravenous fan base got so upset that she found herself receiving not only death threats aimed at her, but also threats against her family and children.
"I did my best to avoid actually reading any of it, so I'm not quite certain how bad it got," she said. "I was shown a sample of the forum posts by EA security and it included graphic threats to kill my children on their way out of school to show them that they should have been aborted at birth rather than have to have me as a mother."

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/gamers-killing-game-industry-195959860.html

Some people need to chill the F out.

Yes, the game had some problems.
But it's a game.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Lol this is what got her the shitstorm:

"A fast-forward button. Games almost always include a way to "button through" dialogue without paying attention, because they understand that some players don't enjoy listening to dialogue and they don't want to stop their fun. Yet they persist in practically coming into your living room and forcing you to play through the combats even if you're a player who only enjoys the dialogue. In a game with sufficient story to be interesting without the fighting, there is no reason on earth that you can't have a little button at the corner of the screen that you can click to skip to the end of the fighting."

I don't see the problem, her analogy is sound imo. Doubt it would've reached the proportions it did if it wasn't for the fact that she's a woman. The thought of a female with no understanding of what constitutes sound gaming design fondling their (ragers like to think that games are theirs) beloved product must've instilled an incredible disgust in the no-lifer crowd.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Lol... googled that excerpt you quoted and picked up a longer blog article about it, in case people want to read it.

http://iamyourtargetdemographic.wor...ry-of-jennifer-hepler-gamers-this-is-for-you/

I don't see a problem either, and it's kind of an interesting idea. Different strokes for different folks and all that. But I guess the more hardcore "achievement" style gamers then decided that it wasn't fair that someone could get to the end without doing all the fighting to "earn" the right to get there.

However, games don't always have to cater to the achievement crowd, and there's a diversity of gamer mentality and approach out there. And if you're judging your self-value and accomplishment in life by whether or not you reached the end of a game? Yeeesh.

Frankly, it's fine to be a writer. Many games wouldn't be in the dust bin of history if they hadn't spent all their money on "cool graphics" and proceeded to ignore "good story."

QuietFire

black magician
Local time
Today 8:01 AM
-->
Did anyone like "Gone Home"?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 3:31 PM
-->
Lol this is what got her the shitstorm:

"A fast-forward button. Games almost always include a way to "button through" dialogue without paying attention, because they understand that some players don't enjoy listening to dialogue and they don't want to stop their fun. Yet they persist in practically coming into your living room and forcing you to play through the combats even if you're a player who only enjoys the dialogue. In a game with sufficient story to be interesting without the fighting, there is no reason on earth that you can't have a little button at the corner of the screen that you can click to skip to the end of the fighting."

I don't see the problem, her analogy is sound imo. Doubt it would've reached the proportions it did if it wasn't for the fact that she's a woman. The thought of a female with no understanding of what constitutes sound gaming design fondling their (ragers like to think that games are theirs) beloved product must've instilled an incredible disgust in the no-lifer crowd.

I think the analogy is fairly good, but there already exists media forms developed specifically for people who want storyline with no gameplay. Niche gamers don't like having the sources of their fun altered to meet the requirements of a larger/different demographic. While, yes, these people are often taking it too far, and seem quite narrow-minded at times, they feel the supply of their happy habits drying up, and are looking for people to blame. Gamers are notoriously emotionally ill-equipped, often having the intelligence to comprehend concepts at a level high enough to justify their dissatisfaction, but not the interest to pursue that knowledge to a complete understanding.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 7:01 PM
-->
Minesweeper. Oh, yeah. Keeping it real.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I think the analogy is fairly good, but there already exists media forms developed specifically for people who want storyline with no gameplay. Niche gamers don't like having the sources of their fun altered to meet the requirements of a larger/different demographic. While, yes, these people are often taking it too far, and seem quite narrow-minded at times, they feel the supply of their happy habits drying up, and are looking for people to blame. Gamers are notoriously emotionally ill-equipped, often having the intelligence to comprehend concepts at a level high enough to justify their dissatisfaction, but not the interest to pursue that knowledge to a complete understanding.

You're still failing to justify why an optional button on a single-player game should be perceived as a threat to THEIR game play... unless you are just giving a nod to their emotional immaturity and entrenched traditional gameplay perspective here (which makes them sound like xenophobic rednecks who can't handle the thought of change that doesn't even impact them directly).

I mean, seriously, unless it impacts multi-player functionality where it allows some users to get for free what other users are earning and then allows that gain to be exploited in PvP or something... well, it don't mean a thing.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
The analogy is a false one because games are games because of the gameplay. The story is incidental to it. It may add to it but is nonessential. Allowing people to skip the gameplay removes the essential part of what makes a game a game. People who only watch the dialogue are not players/gamers. They are, however, via supply and demand, potential threats to actual gamers.

It's a threat to their gameplay in that part of the fun of getting through the fighting sequences is a rewarding story. If you can just skip the gameplay, there's less reward to playing the game because the feeling of accomplishment is diminished.

I would prefer a game with a great story and great gameplay that doesn't allow me to skip the gameplay because it may be tempting when I'm in a really difficult part of the game to do so. This would diminish the sense of accomplishment. This, in turn, would ruin gaming for me if it became dominant for the medium.

For people who are heavily invested emotionally in games, this may be a threat to their identities -- possibly resulting in feeling like a threat to their existence. Hence, the inflammatory and threatening response to this woman's false analogy.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Jennywocky, whatcha think of these typings?

Morrigan INTJ
Sten ISTJ
Leliana ESFJ
Alistair INFP
Wynne INFJ
Shale ISTP
Zevran ISFP

They're all off my hip

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Jennywocky, whatcha think of these typings?

Morrigan INTJ
Sten ISTJ
Leliana ESFJ
Alistair INFP
Wynne INFJ
Shale ISTP
Zevran ISFP

They're all off my hip

Lol... uh...

My take (off my elbow):
  • Morrigan INJ
  • Sten ISTJ
  • Leliana INFP
  • Alistair SP of some type
  • Wynne ESFJ
  • Shale [no idea;he's, well, a rock]
  • Zevran not sure -- I wanted to say ISTP, but he's got a pretty good command of social skills
The big deal with ISFP for Zevran is that he's very driven, and I don't typically see that in ISFPs; that's the opposite of their working style. One might be able to make the case for ETP, but maybe not.

I actually loved Wynne for being such an ESFJ. They did not pull any punches with her, both the good and the bad (and the excesses of each) were present in her presentation.

So I guess I agree with you on one of them, and almost on another one. Sten seems about as ISTJ as you can get.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Right I forgot about the drunk Dwarf, I think he's an ESTP.

I strongly disagree on INFP for Leliana, she's a total air head who seems to be all about advocating her Si aquirings. I see Si at work.. hencewhy I went with ESFJ, I don't really remember if she was particularly extroverted, but she always seemed very enthusiastic which lead me to believe she was. On the other hand Fe Dom seems totally wrong now that I think about it, she's all about Fi.. in the way she knows her stance.. I think I'd attribute that to Si rather than Fi though. Bah I end up with ESFJ. At least tertiary Se

I was about an inch from typing IxFP on Alistair so I could go with ISFP for him.

Wynne seems a little too contained to be an E to me. But I don't remember her too well.

I can see the problem with Zev as well, there's an issue with the guy being both driven and pretty calm and collected.

Top Bottom