• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What are you all reading?

Direwolf

Local time
Today 5:02 PM
-->
Books.im reading books.

If you were after more information i suppose i could tell you that its the new matthew reilly book "the great of zoo of china".

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 12:02 AM
-->
I know what I'm not reading: the third book in the Kingkiller Chronicle. I don't normally like fantasy novels, but I just finished the first two (they were really well written) and I'm impatiently waiting for the third.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 1:02 AM
-->

Roscoe

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:02 AM
-->
Hello all. Currently reading Cormac McCarthy's ultra-grim western Blood Meridian and occasionally dipping into various anthologies and websites for doses of short fiction.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:02 PM
-->
Hello all. Currently reading Cormac McCarthy's ultra-grim western Blood Meridian and occasionally dipping into various anthologies and websites for doses of short fiction.

Incredible book, one of my favorites.

I'm actually reading Suttree by McCarthy at the moment.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Reading Randall Munroe's "What If"

Rather amusing.

Local time
Today 6:02 AM
-->
Currently slogging through self-help books. Bleh. But I have to do it. I'm actually going to post about it...sometime. Teffnology was kind enough to share an ebook called The INTP which for my purposes is self-help too. The other two are Sane New World: Taming the Mind, and The Highly Sensitive Person, which I really want to post about sometime.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 7:02 AM
-->
I'm currently trying to read the 600 page version of carl jungs book about typology. previously i had only read the 200 page version which is a straight description of the types, which is also included in the longer version. the long version als has a demonstration of how he develops his understanding of the typological patterns in the real world, in cultures of the past and in their pundits, people like schiller and goethe or religious figures i have never head about, one chapter is about psychopathology. i have the german version of the book. it's incredibly hard to read or understand, in part because he is comparing his views against the views of other earlier typologists of history, about whom i don't care, and because his way of perceiving history and historical figures in relation to his times is different from my perspective (which is informed by history movies). also he avoids using consistent terminology, for instance he will contrast the 'speculative' type against the intuitive type and you basically have to guess, which type he means by 'speculative' (i assume he contrasts Ti with Ni in this chapter). later he will call it differently. nevertheless i think reading this thing is going to pay out.

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
-->
Reading Radical by Maajid Nawaz and Augustine of Hippo by Peter Brown. I wish I could read the original German like nanook.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
I'm reading 10 concepts goverments won't explain you about economy (or something similar)
It sucks and it is hard to read but... i have to read it so...

Frankie

Local time
-->
Currently reading, 'I don't have enough faith to be an atheist' by Norman Giesler and Frank Turek. So far, it's been revealing. I've learnt a lot of things I didn't previously know, which is good. I've got some questions answered and some new questions. The more I read stuff from any side of the argument, the more depressed I get and the deeper I get into the cycle of existential nihilism. But... I was saying... it's a nice book.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
The more I read stuff from any side of the argument, the more depressed I get and the deeper I get into the cycle of existential nihilism. .

That's an interesting response. Why is that?

dark+matters

Local time
-->
Among several textbooks, I'm reading "Tattooing of the North American Indians," written in 1909. I got it off of a scholarly search engine for a paper I need to write. Very interesting!

Frankie

Local time
-->
That's an interesting response. Why is that?

It's all recycling of data and statistics, especially from the side for religion. Whenever one party seems to have an upper hand, the other one comes up with a different theory altogether. It makes the whole thing seem cyclic and pointless. Every answer leads to another question. For someone like me that craves purpose, it can be frustrating.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
After Virtue by Alasdair MacIntyre

Oh no! Will I leave emotivism behind? Will I accept Aristotelian Virtue Ethics and possibly, maybe, potentially, kind-of-sort-of, vaguely, and strategically convert to Roman Catholicism and Thomism under the cover of night and within the presence of little boys? Fucking hell! One step at a time.

So far, this book is raising my hopes that I might escape skepticism and emotivism.

To the fires of hell with Hume's is-ought problem!
To the fires of hell with emotivism!
To the fires of hell with Nietzsche!

Well, maybe. I don't know. The fuck do I know. In all likelihood, I'll just end up in my usual bleary-eyed state of apathy and nihilism.

Save me, MacIntyre! Save me!

I'm like a nihilistic princess to your Aristotelian Mario. No questions!

kvothe27

Local time
-->
The History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell

I'm super excited for this one. Bertrand Russell putting philosophy in historical context could end up being a nice supplement to After Virtue. I'm wondering if what I read will end up contradicting MacIntyre's historical analysis of morality. Mayhaps. Probably. I don't know. I will see.

dark+matters

Local time
-->
I'm currently reading about how to identify and prepare the edible parts of North American weeds. I wish I was able to concentrate on my required text books instead. *sighs*

Brander

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I am currently re-reading some stories by one of my favorite authors, HP Lovecraft. He was such a master of the horror tale, sure a bigoted misanthrope, but definitely a master as well! :)

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 3:02 PM
-->
The Moody Handbook of Theology. I can't really read it from front to end though, I'm bouncing around.. started with contemporary theology then catholic theology. It's a pity it's two decades old though. So far I was surprised to read that evolutionary naturalism was disfavored after WW1 and that the study of the history of religion was a theological based endeavour. Interestingly enough a lot of theologies are atheistic.. so much shades and hues.

After that I'll probably finish Kant or some other philosophical literature dusting on the shelves, if this damned computer and its infotainments don't lead me astray!

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 5:02 PM
-->
The Philosopher in the Kitchen
by Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

It's a philosophy book about 190 years old - translated from French. It's really interesting in that the philosophical discussions all revolve around food, from a unique historical perspective, with so much of it being just as relevant today as it was then. It's funny how not much changes about things like food.

The sketchy science he references is fantastic.

Inquisitor

Local time
-->
I love sci-fi and especially anything to do with space/military colonization. Never took a liking to fantasy. Currently reading Angles of Attack by Marko Kloos. Third book in a series. Some of my sci-fi favorites include Robert Heinlein, Joe Haldemann, and also the new guy John Scalzi.

Also reading The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil and The Roots of Ayurveda by Dominik Wujastyk, which is a translation of Indian medical manuscripts that are thousands of years old.

Here's a description from the latter:

The Qualities of the Good Surgeon
A physician who sets out on this path should have understood the system, and have practiced the goals of the system. He should have witnessed operations, and developed practical experience and be involved in discussing the discipline. He must be licensed by the king. He should be clean, keep his nails and hair short, and dress in a white garment. He should have an umbrella, carry a stick, wear sandals, and have a modest outfit. He should be cheerful, well-spoken, and honest. He should be a friend to all creatures, and keep good company.

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
-->
I am reading the latest issues of Foreign Affairs and The National Interest. I read one article from The American Interest. I have been reading Eric Foner's textbook for American history and just read the first chapter of Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals. I have been learning how intricately connected the United States is to the English political tradition as well as how English colonization has resulted in the promotion of democracy in its colonies around the world. Look at what they did in Hong Kong, an amazing city-state.

Brander

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I have been learning how intricately connected the United States is to the English political tradition as well as how English colonization has resulted in the promotion of democracy in its colonies around the world. Look at what they did in Hong Kong, an amazing city-state.

It wasn't always so rosy, but the British have done a lot to advance mankind for sure.

J-man

Cobra Kai
Local time
-->
I have trouble finishing books that I've started reading. I was really enjoying Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima.

dark+matters

Local time
-->
I did my last final today! Woo hoo! Already, I feel a book-shaped hole forming in my heart. I'm filling it with "Lobsters: Gangsters of the Sea." Any book with that title and a picture of a scuba diver holding a giant blue lobster on it has to be awesome.

dark+matters

Local time
-->
Currently slogging through self-help books. Bleh. But I have to do it. I'm actually going to post about it...sometime. Teffnology was kind enough to share an ebook called The INTP which for my purposes is self-help too. The other two are Sane New World: Taming the Mind, and The Highly Sensitive Person, which I really want to post about sometime.

How is "The Highly Sensitive Person" coming along? I've been seeing that book around for yeeeears and still hear of counselors who are recommending it.

KISS
Local time
-->
Starting re-read Tao te ching by Lao Tzu for 2nd times.

dark+matters

Local time
-->
Dune by Frank Herbert. 'N' heaven

What do you think about the series? I only read the first book. I had really mixed feelings about it. I really enjoyed the suit that recycles all bodily fluids for people living in the desert and some of the other descriptions of the little imaginary world. The descriptions about technology were described in great detail, which made it fun. But it was far, far too much of a metaphor for a young man's journey into manhood in the 1960's for me to able to relate to it. It definitely seemed like a white, male perspective and I'm not male and not part of that generation. But literature's ideal is to gain perspective into the lives that a diverse body of people lead, so I can enjoy it. I thought it was a unique, subconscious snapshot of the time, but I wouldn't read it again.

Matt1210

Redshirt
Local time
-->
What do you think about the series? I only read the first book. I had really mixed feelings about it. I really enjoyed the suit that recycles all bodily fluids for people living in the desert and some of the other descriptions of the little imaginary world. The descriptions about technology were described in great detail, which made it fun. But it was far, far too much of a metaphor for a young man's journey into manhood in the 1960's for me to able to relate to it. It definitely seemed like a white, male perspective and I'm not male and not part of that generation. But literature's ideal is to gain perspective into the lives that a diverse body of people lead, so I can enjoy it. I thought it was a unique, subconscious snapshot of the time, but I wouldn't read it again.
I enjoy all the political scheming in it, hearing the inner thoughts of the main players.

Fun also to see in action how ruling classes plant / use religion, legends, etc to control.

Plus the the interesting mix of future technology without computers (there being a law against them, so specially trained humans have to do the computing instead).

Ostap Bender

Local time
-->
In overall I am trying to re-read all of Tom Clancy's books in the order of Jack Ryanverse and not published order.

I am also reading Buyer Personas by Adele Revella for personal knowledge. It's a book about how to gain insight into your customer's expectations, align your marketing strategies, and win more business. Since my recent transformation into self employed I am on a quest to learn more about my niche demographic of customers and ways I can persuade them.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
Not Moby Dick, that's for sure! What were we thinking with an INTP book club?

Anyway, I'm reading Nostromo. I've been on a Conrad kick, off and on, for a year or so.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
1Q84 from Murakami to test if he is any interesting.
W. Gibson's Bridge trilogy
Reading again Stanisław Lem's Eden
Reading Jacek Dukaj's native novels "Lód", "Córka Łupieżcy", "Czarne Oceany"
Just finished reading U. K. Le Guin's Earthsea cycle 2nd time
Plan to start A. Berkman's Memoirs and Diary

Local time
-->
I have trouble finishing books that I've started reading. I was really enjoying Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima.

you should continue reading this, the last book in the tetralogy is worth the trouble

Not Moby Dick, that's for sure! What were we thinking with an INTP book club?

ahem...i completely forgot about that thread :o

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
The First Philosophers: The Presocratics and Sophists by Robin Waterfield
The Nature of Things by Lecretius and Alicia Stallings
Nature's God: The Heretical Origin of the American Republic, by Matthew Stewart
Finders Keepers, by Stephen King

Local time
-->
Independent people by halldór laxness

on being blue by William gass

4.48 psychosis by Sarah kane

romance of the three kingdoms: i bought this thinking I would have trouble finishing it and then banish it to the same fate as the tale of genji and the pillow book that have been collecting dust on my shelf for a couple of years now...but so far it's a very enjoyable, intense read. I love it. :)

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
romance of the three kingdoms: i bought this thinking I would have trouble finishing it and then banish it to the same fate as the tale of genji and the pillow book that have been collecting dust on my shelf for a couple of years now...but so far it's a very enjoyable, intense read. I love it. :)
Glad to find anyone else enjoying this besides me.
What story arc are you following, Cao Cao rise to power?

I chanced upon an english copy of Moby Dick at a used books street market and I'm reading it now, since original language is the only way I'm willing to read english authors and it happened to be discussed here as well, it was a very favourable occurrence.

_whispers_

Vidi Vici Veni
Local time
-->
I'm struggling with echopraxia by peter watts (no capital letters). So far the style is unnecessary flowery/difficult and I don't find the story particularly gripping, but for some reason I've decided to finish it.

Local time
-->
Glad to find anyone else enjoying this besides me.
What story arc are you following, Cao Cao rise to power?

Battle of xiapi...i reached the part where Cao Cao decides to flood it

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Gardens of the Moon, first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It didn't stand out the first 200 pages, but then things started happening and character stories got more intertwined. The characters also became more likable and I even chuckled a few times nearing the end of it. I have 50 pages left before I start book number 2. The way they use magic, how gods work and lore seems very interesting.

dark+matters

Local time
-->
Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction Strategy Guide- 4th edition.

Does anyone know if studying for the GMAT will also help with the GRE?

Top Bottom