• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What are you all reading?

Vict

Local time
Today 12:25 PM
-->
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

It bugs me that people peg it as a philosophy book. It's more of a preachy novel. Fiction.

BluePantsMcgee

Eluding cloud
Local time
Today 9:25 PM
-->
Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 3:25 PM
-->
Prime Obsession*. I sit down with this book when I'm tired and read a few pages. I feel greatly relaxed ... puts me at peace with a neglected topic. This is great! But it's math. Now I'm not sure I will have to remember what it is saying to go on. So far so good. Good writer but will I be able to handle it?

*Bernard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics
I am still reading this book. Dip into it every once in a while. When I at first returned to it, I couldn't follow what he was saying and realized I had forgotten his derivations. So I went back and concluded, "Got that." After following for a while I realized he was cheating by leaving out explanations. He couldn't help it. Things were getting too advanced. Still he's a good writer and I am going to continue. I hope to post more on my progress.

Questions?

Aeroflot

Person man to the rescue
Local time
-->
I'm reading It, but I might put it on hold because Hunt for the Red October is sitting on my desk.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
Today 8:25 PM
-->
books

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:25 PM
-->
Rereading some of these again: (form meh lame bookshelf)

picture.php

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Moseying through "This Side of Paradise" by F. Scott Fitzgerald and "The Possibility of an Island" by Michel Houellebecq.

Have a copy of Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose" that I've been meaning to start.

G. K. Chesterton's "Orthodoxy" and David P. Goldman's "How Civilizations Die" are on the list.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
"the pale king" by david foster wallace

i'm about half-way through. it picks up mad serious after a while. goes all meta on yo ass.

worthwhile read so far.

Alex_

Local time
-->
Started to read Kafka again. I wanted to finish Farewell to Arms first, but I just couldn't. I mean, I like the author's style, but the narrative... It's just boring.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Christopher Alexander's 'The Timeless Way of Building'
Stephen Wolfram's 'A New Kind of Science'
Jane Jacobs' 'The Death and Life of Great American Cities'
Burroughs & Gysin's 'The Third Mind'
Jung's 'Synchronicity: an acausal connecting principle'

Funnily enough, all for the same dissertation work. :D It has been an odd year. :phear:

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
I've been in a bad place lately with lots of stress and whatnot so I've been plowing through Brain Candy such as the first three novels in the Dresden series by Jim butcher.

I am now ready to move on to something with more chew to it. I am reading Dubliners by Joyce. I like to read the digital version and then flip between it and google so I can pick up on all the references. It's been a good read.

I think those two very different genres are starting to mess with my head though.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
Founders, by James Wesley Rawles

and

Freedom Evolves, by Daniel Dennett

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 5:25 AM
-->
Stephen Prothero, 'God is Not One'
Daniel Mason, 'The Piano Tuner'

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
The Shifting Realities of Philip K. Dick: Selected Literary and Philosophical Writings: Philip K. Dick, Lawrence Sutin: 9780679747871: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Wpxc7PBHL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Wpxc7PBHL

and

The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick: Philip K. Dick, Pamela Jackson, Jonathan Lethem: 8580001267562: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-HgT1Ur3L.@@AMEPARAM@@41-HgT1Ur3L

I'm starting up on an abandoned project with an artist/screenwriter friend of mine. Sort of a metaphysical comic book/story panel involving technology and eschatology. PKD is obviously a huge influence for both of us.

Now my question is if I should start reading Alan Moore or avoid being influenced by people who have similar influences... not a big comic book person but I did read some of The Sandman series a long time ago.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
The Shifting Realities of Philip K. Dick: Selected Literary and Philosophical Writings: Philip K. Dick, Lawrence Sutin: 9780679747871: Amazon.com: Books

and

The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick: Philip K. Dick, Pamela Jackson, Jonathan Lethem: 8580001267562: Amazon.com: Books

I'm starting up on an abandoned project with an artist/screenwriter friend of mine. Sort of a metaphysical comic book/story panel involving technology and eschatology. PKD is obviously a huge influence for both of us.

Now my question is if I should start reading Alan Moore or avoid being influenced by people who have similar influences... not a big comic book person but I did read some of The Sandman series a long time ago.

I'd say it depends on how close you feel to his writing -- there's nothing wrong with expanding on other's ideas, it's only a problem if you become a Moore clone. :p (It's a problem I have with Moore...)

I think some of the best comic creators have typically been inspired by artists outside their medium, and have found inventive ways of applying their ideas specifically to comics from the ground up. Their conception in comic form is then their own, rather than imitative of another's. That's just one approach though. :cat:

edit: I'd recommend Will Eisner's 'Comics and Sequential Art' and Scott McCloud's 'Understanding Comics' to anyone interested in creating any...

kvothe27

Local time
-->
The Face by Dean Koontz

kvothe27

Local time
-->

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
pb_1998_cover.jpg

Interesting, love the trickster archetype that they mold good ol' Uncle Sam in, he's hilariously mesmerizing.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I am still reading this book. Dip into it every once in a while. When I at first returned to it, I couldn't follow what he was saying and realized I had forgotten his derivations. So I went back and concluded, "Got that." After following for a while I realized he was cheating by leaving out explanations. He couldn't help it. Things were getting too advanced. Still he's a good writer and I am going to continue. I hope to post more on my progress. Questions?
About half-way through. Am enjoying it. He is mapping two dimensions into two dimensions making four dimensions. I don't have an intuitive grasp of the graphs meaning either I never will or will have to reread the book after I finish ... assuming I finish.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
Keats. Endymion and other stuff. And Discworld. And The Night Circus.

SW

kvothe27

Local time
-->
Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach by Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig

Anling

Local time
-->
I am reading The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli, The Golden Bough by James Frazer, and The White Goddess by Robert Graves.
Frazer and Graves I only read a bit at a time. And Graves isn't historically accurate. But it's still somewhat interesting. Frazer is interesting, but his multiplicity of examples can be somewhat tiring to get through to the next premise. But I suppose it is necessary to support his argument that religion world wide follows the same patterns and developments.

And fanfiction. Lots and lots of fanfiction.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
Been reading a bunch of schizophrenia books this last week. For unknown reasons(or I won't tell, or you people may think I have it as well, note, not been diagnosed, but getting worried, as they put me through a sort of one month test recently, and I got stressed, and suspect it didn't go so well..and their behavior was/is beyond weird, and I more or less freaked out, or they fake it or :storks:).

Anyway, I'm on the last pages of Jonathan Metzl’s The Protest Psychosis: How schizophrenia became a black disease. Was a seriously good read. It proves a historical perspective on the matter of social injustice. Or the bigger picture if one like, more importantly, it's all very well researched and documented. It's research material is based off the history of the Ionia State Hospital for the Criminally Insane

Smiley

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:25 PM
-->
I recently finished reading Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's Flow which has helped me bring myself out of my ennui state. I just picked up his sequel, The Evolving Self, from the library.

AzuriteCat

A cat that barks 'meow'
Local time
Tomorrow 3:25 AM
-->
The Economic Naturalist: Why Economics Explains Almost Everything

I realized that I don't really read novels... Well...only a few of them caught my fancy...I guess? Most of the books I read are non-fiction and filled with facts. Maybe that's why I'm not so good at writing poetic words and stuff? xD

Ink

Local time
-->
Finished the two free chapter of fifty shades of grey on kindle, I liked it. For some reason I envisioned Christian Grey as Snoop Dogg.

Steven Gerrard

Singing or frowning
Local time
-->
I am reading The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli, The Golden Bough by James Frazer, and The White Goddess by Robert Graves.
Frazer and Graves I only read a bit at a time. And Graves isn't historically accurate. But it's still somewhat interesting. Frazer is interesting, but his multiplicity of examples can be somewhat tiring to get through to the next premise. But I suppose it is necessary to support his argument that religion world wide follows the same patterns and developments.

And fanfiction. Lots and lots of fanfiction.

Where do you find good fanfiction?

I would dig reading that.

Local time
-->
I'm reading The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams. It's actually quite funny, and the main character is pretty much the epitome of INTP. As I'll have finished it by the end of the night, the next book in line is the long put off Great Gatsby...

C.Hecker88

Lily of the Valley
Local time
-->
I am currently reading Les Misérables and re-reading Frank Herbert's Dune. Both are very entertaining and enlightening reads. I highly recommend them.

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring ^_^

Can't believe this is the first time... This book was MEANT for me.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 4:55 AM
-->
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Complete free version: here

I've never really been into fanfiction, but this is written very well, I'd argue it's a vast improvement on the original.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

akeybreakey

Ghost
Local time
-->
Eight Pieces of Empire: A 20-Year Journey Through the Soviet Collapse

Awesome read, half-way through

grayskies

INTJ
Local time
-->
Moseying through "This Side of Paradise" by F. Scott Fitzgerald and "The Possibility of an Island" by Michel Houellebecq.

Have a copy of Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose" that I've been meaning to start.

G. K. Chesterton's "Orthodoxy" and David P. Goldman's "How Civilizations Die" are on the list.

I want to read Orthodoxy! Please share what you think about the book once you've read it. I really like G.K. Chesterton.

grayskies

INTJ
Local time
-->
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis

dark+matters

Local time
-->
I'm reading Bill Nye the Science Guy's new book, Undeniable: evolution and the science of creation. It's actually really fun.

DrSketchpad

Local time
-->
Re-reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.
One of my favorite quotes:

“‘There is no believing in God,’ he declared, smiling again. ‘We either know God, or we do not.’

‘Well,” I laughed, ‘I certainly don’t know God, and frankly I’m inclined to think that God is impossible to believe in, at least most of the notions of God that I’ve come across.’

‘Oh, of course, naturally, God is impossible. That is the first proof that He exists.’

He was staring at me intently, his hand still resting warm on my arm. Be careful, I thought. You’re getting into a philosophical discussion with a man who’s famous for them. He’s testing you. It’s a test, and the water’s deep.

‘Let me get this straight — you’re saying that because something is impossible, it exists?’ I asked, pushing a canoe of thought out into the uncharted water of his ideas.

‘That is correct.’

‘Well, wouldn’t that mean that all the possible things don’t exist?’

‘Precisely!’ he said, smiling more widely. ‘I am delighted that you understand.’”

— Shantaram (Gregory David Roberts)

I'm going to risk sounding naive by saying:

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to gather from that :confused:

JPS

Serving humanity by counterexample
Local time
-->
Let's see.

The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst, by Nicholas Tomalin and Ron Hall. It's about the man who went insane in the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race, lying about his progress with the use of intricately constructed false logs and then killing himself.

The Gay Science, by Friedrich Nietzsche.

Top Bottom