• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What are you all reading?

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:25 AM
-->
If you liked Quantum Psychology, do also consider giving Prometheus Rising a try
I am now well on my way towards finishing it. Have enjoyed it thus far.

Oh, and something I found interesting (because of me being tall and skinny) making me think about psychological traits and wether it tend to manifest, to some extent, physiologically.
"Those extreme cases who take their heaviest imprint on the third circuit* tend to grow up cerebrotonic. They are tall and skinny, because energy is perpetually drawn upward from the body into the head. The caricatured evil genius, Dr. Syvianus in Superman, who was virtually all head, represents the extreme toward which this type seems to be evolving. Popular speech calls them "eggheads".
Almost always, these cerebrotonic Third-Circuit types ignore or are hostile to their first and second functions*. Playfulness puzzles them (appears silly or eccentric) and emotions both baffle and frighten them."

*the rational mind
*oral and emotional circuits

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
Today 1:25 AM
-->
I'm reading Brighter than a Thousand Suns. It is beyond awesome. Reading it almost makes me want to be a physicist rather than an engineer.

Checked it out on Amazon. General comments seem to be that it is a bit outdated and has mostly the opinions of people with 30 + less years of information and history (we have more from being around today), but still an essential read. I just ordered it for 4 bucks. :)

Book just came on the mail today. I don't have class tomorrow, so I'll likely get through a good portion of it.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Just finished Kafka's The Trial I really appreciated the themes but imo it was the type of book where I found the thoughts it inspired were more stimulating than the actual book itself.

Also reading 'to Kill a Mockingbird' (Harper Lee), 'Birth of a Nation' (Thomas Dixon) and 'The Doll's House' (Neil Gaiman)

soraya

Warn; the child forbid, take care dangerousry!
Local time
-->
Foundation and Empire (Isaac Asimov) - rereading it
A Study in Scarlet (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
Of Human Bondage (W. somerset Maugham)

Like them all pretty much.

digital angel

Local time
Today 2:25 AM
-->
I'll be reading The Post American World by Fareed Zakaria. Not too long ago, I read The Rational Optimist. Quantum Psychology sounds interesting.

shoeless

I AM A WIZARD
Local time
-->
i just finished 1984. read it for school. only worthwhile thing i've read all year.

seriously, fuck beowulf.

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
-->
The Count of Monte Cristo. Great book.

systembust

Local time
-->
I recently read Kafka on the Shore and enjoyed it.

I read that last year, after reading that the author is INTP. The protagonist seemed very INTP as well. Very good stuff.. I do tend to enjoy 'magical realism' in general, but it definitely stands out. The imagery of the library and Miss Saeki still sticks with me. I need to get around to reading more of Murakami's work whenever I can get some space in my reading queue. I think most all INTPs would like that book, though. Was just trying to think of the name of it the other day.

Dr. Freeman

Local time
-->

boondockbabe

I am a little cold hearted
Local time
-->
I am currently reading the essential jung-Selected wirtings Introduced by Anthony Storr. Its kinda a hard read but if I can do The Republic. I can get through Jung. Iv'e gained some exceptional insight. Hard but worh it.

mke2686

Local time
-->
Bad monkeys by Matt Ruff

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:25 PM
-->
I like novels that are thrillers, horror, mystery, and adventure. If anyone has any recommendations, I would definitely go check them out.

jantling

camera obscura
Local time
Today 12:25 AM
-->
Bleak House by Charles Dickens.

The Dramatist and Priest by Ken Bruen are good Noir/Mysteries.

Wahrheitsliebe

has a schtick!
Local time
-->
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin. The woman is a goddess of writing. Seriously.

Aramea

Local time
-->
Just finished Game of Thrones. This was the first I have read in the fantasy genre so the writing was not what I was used to but he did a great job with character development and storyline. I will probably go on to the next book in the series ...

A22

occasional poster
Local time
-->
Just finished reading a book about
a mentally ill introverted jew who thinks he is
a centaur that lives in the XX century in Brazil. The Centaur in the Garden, by Moacyr Scliar. Kafka style.

Affinity

Local time
Today 12:25 AM
-->
I just finished Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. Offers great insight into the culinary world as well as some good but raunchy humor.

Mello

Gone.
Local time
Yesterday 11:25 PM
-->
Deadpool comics
It still counts as reading.

wendy

blah blah blah
Local time
Yesterday 11:25 PM
-->
DEADPOOL PULP!!!!

On a serious note, I'm currently into Vietnam war novels: Tim O'brien books, Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes, etc; If I had more time I'd get into Scar Tissue by the RHCP lead singer Anthony Kiedis .. but I waste too much time on the Internet to read as much as I'd like.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->

Mange Mareng

Redshirt
Local time
Today 7:25 AM
-->
Francisco Ayala - a collection of some of his short stories
Aldous Huxley - Brave new world (I actually bought it when seeing so many people here mentioning it)
Michael Azar - Sartre's war: man's freedom and the end of the history
Orhan Pamuk - The white castle (quite boring, having a hard time finishing it...)

and about to start reading The unvanquished by William Faulkner as soon i'm finished with Brave new world..

Dr. Freeman

Local time
-->
Next up: Plato.

systembust

Local time
-->
Reading "The Iliad" limited series from Marvel Illustrated. Wooow. Comics are really underrated as a medium. Much of the dialogue is left intact from the book and it is a pretty faithful adaptation, but oh so much more engaging imho. Well worth checking out.

systembust

Local time
-->
Just finished reading a book about
a mentally ill introverted jew who thinks he is
a centaur that lives in the XX century in Brazil. The Centaur in the Garden, by Moacyr Scliar. Kafka style.

That sounds reeeeeally interesting, but I can't find a copy online. Might have to actually go out and, gasp, buy it.

NegativeZero

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Books? What importance do they provide? (Damn this current mindset)

I am reading Dune---Boring.

Boring, really? I though it was an excellent insightful novel, messiah is better, although maybe it'll be taking it too far if you're not really into the story.

I'm trying to decode Sun Tzu's art of war at the moment, the general premise comes easy but there's more beneath the surface than on the top.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Timeline - Just finished that bad boy. For whatever reason Crichton turned the last two thirds of the novel into this picaresque thing with a love connection; it was weird.

The first third was neat because he basically rapped about archeology, anthropology, history, and quantum mechanics the whole time, while only vaguely setting up a plot line.

He is somewhat of a hack, but he is obviously intelligent and he picks these speculative topics that make good research later in their own right. Sometimes his ideas are wildly wide of the mark though. He should also have shot his editor for not fact checking.

Meh, Chrichton should have written more non-fiction; the guy is kinda a cold fish when it comes to decorating his characters, and you can basically see him writing these sort of mawkish sequences at his desk, reluctantly, cursing his fans.

The books I want to read in the next two weeks are The Heart of the Matter (Graham Greene), Prometheus Rising (Robert Anton Wilson), and maybe The Plague (Albert Camus). I remember liking Greene when I was a teenager. Wow, I have/had too much time on my hands.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:25 PM
-->
The Devils Rooming House... yeah I'm a bit into serial killer novels.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The Devils Rooming House... yeah I'm a bit into serial killer novels.
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is a gritty movie of the same if you're interested.

Infinite Regress

Local time
Today 5:25 PM
-->
City of Tiny Lights by Patrick Neate
Quite funny

Local time
-->
I am reading four books at the moment. 3 non-fiction and 1 fiction

Fiction:

Panic by Jeff Abbott

Non fiction:

The Stuff of Thought by Steven Pinker. This is a book about language and neurology

What Everybody is Saying by Joe Navarro. An ex FBI agents guide to reading body language

The Einstein Factor by Win Wenger. On my second read of this at the moment. It is a book about creative problem solving using visualisation techniques

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
The Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Kim Deitch. No connection to Green Day. It's a really good comic for any who like the graphic novel medium, one that doesn't get near enough the attention it deserves.

ked

Local time
-->
Things about our planet, especially geography, weather. Things about the body and mind; mainly physiology and psychology. Some hobby stuffs like chess, poker, aikido, fishing, camping. I don't like fiction and consider it a waste of time though I might sometimes take a look but it might take many years before I do it more than ten pages, and I do more looks into natural sciences that I am really not interested about like chemistry, physics, biology, but only a bit at the time though I have got addicted to them at times too and read many hours but I have corrected that. I also like to study or understand some languages, I like Italian most specifically, it being like English but pronounced as it's written and it sounds nice to me. Wikipedia, I could like that as I like information over fiction but I find most of the knowledge to be past history; I know better as do many others but such stuff can't be written there as it would be considered original. History, I didn't like that but rarely, while I might now be interested to know more than I did before but nothing much I need to know anymore and there are higher priorities and time and energy is limited.

Peeps999

Local time
-->
I'm reading Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison for school summer reading.

Local time
-->
Just read Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, only to find that the copy I had was the abridged version... Now I am reading the unabridged version... and now I finally understand why modern writers have editors.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Crumb's "Kafka"
Aronofsky's "The Fountain"
Levi's "Is this a Man"
Wiesel's "Night"

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Human physiology
A cocktail of chemicals (Norwegian)
Molecular Biology of the Cell (I disappear in the coach when I hold that brick on my lap)
A Treatise of Human Nature

Just finished Understanding Cat Behaviour

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 9:25 AM
-->
The Prokaryotes: A Handbook on the Biology of Bacteria.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Your transformation into cat lady is almost complete. :cool:

Ah yes. Soon I shall inherit the perfect balance and six times better night vision.

*Walks outside at night*

Gah Noddy!? What the hell IS that?

*Covers eyes*

I don't want night vision! I don't want night vision!

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
Just read Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, only to find that the copy I had was the abridged version... Now I am reading the unabridged version... and now I finally understand why modern writers have editors.

A lot of writers in the 19th century were paid by the amount of text or the stories were first serialized in newspapers, which gave the writers an incentive to drag out as much as possible. See most of Alexandre Dumas' or Charles Dickens' works for other infamous examples.

Top Bottom