• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

What are you all reading?

QuickTwist

Alive - Born Anew
Local time
Today, 04:08
three ancient colonies by sidney mintz

europe and the people without history by eric wolf

considerations on the rise and fall of the romans and their greatness by montesqeau

psychological types, psychology and religion, the zolfinga lectures.... by carl jung

odu ifa the ethical teachings by maulana karenga

marx and marxism by peter worsley

alienation marx's concept of man in society by bertell oleman

towards an understanding of karl marx by sidney hook

and one fiction: the last harmattan of alustine dunbar by syl cheney coker
Takes glasses off.. Someone is def a reader.

Currently reading:

Psychological Types - Jung
Maps of Meaning - JP
Online Electronics Textbook
Brains for Instinct - How stuff works.com
Clinical Psychology - Wikipedia

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Halfway through Ready Player One by Ernest Cline at the moment. A movie version is about to be released and I felt I had to get through it. I must say the beginning was amusing but now the Marty Stuness of the main character is seriously grating...

Local time
Today, 21:08
Currently reading Principles by Ray Dalio. This guy is the best. Even has a short chapter on how to manage HR with mbti (he’s an ENTP)... I also love the idea of an idea meritocracy.

jbar

non sequitur
Local time
I've been reading a shit-ton of Stephen King the last year or more and I've got to get my non-fiction groove back on. I'm reading...

A Brief History of Thought by Luc Ferry now, and occasionally I'm picking up The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality by André Comte-Sponville (though I'm repelled by the title). Oh, and I'm 33% of the way through my first read of IT, because I'm still hooked on most anything he's written...

Pizzabeak

Prolific Member
Local time
Today, 02:08
Doors of Perception - Aldous Huxley

3rd or 4th attempt at getting through this essay. Never liked Huxley's style although he's, obviously, recognized as an important figure in Psychedelic literature and history. This book is about mescaline, peyote, the psychedelic cactus Mexicans & Indians would use to get inebriated and go on vision quests - see the desert scene in Beavis & Butthead Do America. Peyote hasn't been my psychedelic of choice - it's chemically similar to MDMA (which is 3,4,methylenedioxymethamphetamine and is good for couples therapy. Mescaline is 3,4,5-methoxyphenethylamine - amphetamine is just a phenethylamine with a methyl group on the alpha carbon). I haven't tried it yet but must. I heard it shits on LSD and everything else, so to speak, and you're stoned for at least two days. Acid can last 12 hours (if you smoke weed you're stoned for ~2-4 hours, edibles can get you way more stoned for longer) or if you can redose properly, which can be tricky, you can successfully be stoned off acid for at least 36 hours - granted you're smoking pot the whole time! There's a really strange synergy between LSD and weed. When the acid is starting to look and feel like it's wearing off, you take a hit of some cannabis - boom, it brings it back a little, colors jump and get more vibrant again and everything starts to swirl more, and you might even get more "hallucinations" or visuals, or however it would work.

onesteptwostep

Think.. Be... ..buzz buzz :)
Local time
Today, 19:08
I recently bought Frederick Copleston's monumental 9 volume A History of Philosophy so I'm taking the entire summer to try and get through them. With the pace I'm going it'll probably take a lot long though.. Starting with Fichte at the moment.

Local time
obligatory annual 'this thread' comment

Serac

A menacing post slithers
Local time
Today, 10:08
Recently bought a book I have intended to read for a long time: Gödel, Escher, Bach: an eternal golden braid.

On the face of it seems a bit woo-woo, but we'll see how it turns out

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today, 18:08
I'm currently playing with Spyder and reading Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today, 18:08
Finished the theoretical book, now to play with The Python Workbook: A Brief Introduction with Exercises and Solutions

travelnjones

Local time
Today, 02:08
Recently bought a book I have intended to read for a long time: Gödel, Escher, Bach: an eternal golden braid.

On the face of it seems a bit woo-woo, but we'll see how it turns out
That is supposed to be pretty good

I'm always exhausted and reading seems the last thing on my mind. I picked up "The Man of Gold" by MAR Barker out of my bookshelf then set it down after a few pages and went to bed.

Blarraun

straightedgy
Local time
Today, 11:08
Given my enjoyment of visual space opera I tried to find any interesting literature from that genre. So far with mixed results.

Peter F Hamilton "Commonwealth Saga" was a terrible mess of annoying characters, shallow plot and excessive sexual scenes. The only two interesting characters, Paula Myo and Adam Elvin created a decent investigator vs mastermind terrorist dynamic that lasted into the second book where Paula's character lost all subtlety and was oversimplified to be the result of her genetics and manipulated background. Terrible sci-fi, the only hopeful thing going for it was the detective story.

I'm honestly unsure why I bothered to read the second book, I guess I was invested in whatever tension and personal story that wasn't ruined by part 1.
* 1/10, better than 0/10

Ian M Banks "Consider Plebas" has left me apathetic and undecided. On one hand certain scenes and world ideas were interesting and helped develop stronger characters, on the other the overarching structure wasn't consistent, worldbuilding had huge gaps and a lot of the narrative effort was wasted on inconsequential or overly specific elements. I liked the ending, it was quite bitter but realistic given all that was known about the characters. Culture agent's euthanasia after waking from ages long cryosleep to wait for a verdict on the objective moral evaluation of a conflict that caused irreversible trauma felt right, though bleak. It was a mature and post-modern feeling mere adequacy.

I know the author created a number of books in this universe and is supposedly acclaimed. Though his unfocused writing doesn't encourage me to try anything else.
* 4/10, I score it lower because it is far easier to write mature sad stories than it is to make happy ones and I've had enough of the melancholy.

Kevin J Anderson "Hidden Empire", good mythology and worldbuilding, a few ideas were excellent, but a weak storyline without enough nuance. Multiple storylines don't seem to merge or interact in a way that would justify having so many.
* 5/10

David Weber "Honor Harrington" books 1-2 are very enjoyable. The story has the right amount of character intro and growth, characters are compelling and I don't mind them being more unidimensional. The depiction of an intergalactic military organisation and conflict is well thought-out on every scale. I like how regardless of what idea is introduced, it is used meaningfully and fits nicely.
* 7/10

Overall I have established that what I'm looking for in those kinds of novels doesn't qualify them as space opera. I prefer more complexity in depicting political/social systems, cool and logical science, strong and likeable characters. Sci-fi books tend to be best when they try to present the author's vision for a particular future, or unfold a reality from a set of thought experiments, all the better if there is a narrative and characters to emote or relate to.

Local time
just finished reading Left Hand of Darkness

was good, might suit your mentioned tastes blarraun.

onesteptwostep

Think.. Be... ..buzz buzz :)
Local time
Today, 19:08
It's a book assigned by school, but "Saving Leonardo" by Nancy Peracy. It's a good, very generalized assessment of current secularism from a Christian standpoint.

Top Bottom