• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What animu are you watching now?

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
Today 4:02 PM
-->
Post the series you are currently watching here.

(I suck at following these things) :storks:

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 2:02 AM
-->
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Cringeworthy name yes, but I'm around the middle of the first season and so far it is quite good... and they say it only gets to the good stuff after around episode 20 o_O

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 9:02 AM
-->
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Cringeworthy name yes, but I'm around the middle of the first season and so far it is quite good... and they say it only gets to the good stuff after around episode 20 o_O

It's obviously made for people like me who listen to one-hour-songs and read books with 100-pages-intros.

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
Today 1:02 AM
-->
Just finished(last season or watched and finished in last 2 weeks): 5cm/s, Voices of a distant star, Arakawa under the bridge, Durarara!!, House of the 5 leaves, Bakemonogatari, Darker than Black

Currently watching: Kaicho wa no maidsama, Occult Academy, High School of the Dead, The place promised to us in our early days, Darker than black OVAs

PS: Do you keep up to date with the latest seasons?

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
Just finished Kurozuka and the Pet Shop of Horrors, waiting for the new episode of Katanagatari and going to check out Mermaid Saga next.

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
Today 1:02 AM
-->
oh yeah forgot about katanagatari :X i was a little disappointed with episode 7... then again the whole series kind of disappointed me.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 8:02 AM
-->

this. Bad start but develops.

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
-->
Finished watching Persona Trinity Soul. It had many good points with a lot of potential, but the actions was too spread out over the 24 eps and therefore bored the hell out of me. It was marginally bearable since I watched it all in one go, like I did with Ookamikakushi.

Even Ookamikakushi was still a lot better. Nemuru <3

Edit: I just saw two episodes of marimite on animax. I still cannot decide if this show is unbelievably awesome or the spawn of the devil.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
Finished watching Persona Trinity Soul. It had many good points with a lot of potential, but the actions was too spread out over the 24 eps and therefore bored the hell out of me. It was marginally bearable since I watched it all in one go, like I did with Ookamikakushi.

Is that related to the Persona games?

Last anime I watched was Heroic Age. Not easy to describe. Basically a space opera with shonen and kaiju elements. The fight scenes are great and such but ultimately it's not more than just okay. I think it was very weird that the main character barely has any screentime.

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
-->
I believe it has elements not just from the Persona games, but from the Megaten games as well. Mostly from the Persona games though; it's based on the Persona time line.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->

Didn't know you watched this. Possibly the best animé series ever. I don't actually think that the first season is that different in quality from the following, it's just that the series is something that needs to grow on you.

It's obviously made for people like me who listen to one-hour-songs and read books with 100-pages-intros.

Why haven't you watched it already you dimwit?

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
-->
A more literal translation would be Legend of the Hero of Legend :elephant:

Local time
Today 3:02 AM
-->
Recently finished Durarara and Darker Than Black. Loved both.

Now I'm trying to figure out where I stopped watching Ergo Proxy a year or two ago and finish that.

Mr.W

Local time
Today 2:02 AM
-->
I picked up Samurai 7 recently. I've gotten through about the first 9 episodes and it's turned out to be exactly what anyone would imagine it to be: an anime bastardization of the original movie. As far as anime series go it's okay. Pretty predictable, typical. A big, resounding "meh." I haven't felt too compelled to finish the rest of it, but I'll get around to it eventually I'm sure.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
So, here's a list of upcoming anime I stole borrowed from somethingawful.com forums. It should be pretty reliable at this state.

Fall TV series

09/10: Hetalia Axis Powers Season 4
You should know what this is about by now.

09/12: Battle Spirits: Brave
merchandise

10/01: Iron Man
Marvel and Madhouse's first cooperation project (out of four planned ones). Great if you like superhero comics, I suppose. Absolutely nothing known about staff/cast. Note that unlike the proof-of-concept episode, this one uses lovely CG.

10/01: Super Robot Taisen OG - The Inspector
Mecha. Covers the OG2 material and according to Zorak it seems like it's going to be better than the first anime. Sugita Tomokazu as the protagonist.

10/01: Sora no Otoshimono Forte
fanservice, also flying panties

10/01: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Gainax does a thing. Also Imaishi Hiroyuki and basically all of the FLCL/Gurren Lagann/Dead Leaves/Re: Cutie Honey dudes.

10/02: MM!
Tsundere love comedy show (based on a series of light novels) taken to its logical extreme: the protagonist is actually a masochist and the love interest is actually a sadist. Fukuyama Jun and Taketatsu Ayana as the main characters.

10/02: Bakuman
META AS gently caress. See the manga thread.
Directed by Kasai Kenichi (Nodame S1, Honey&Clover S1, Aoi Hana etc) and Akitaya Noriaki (lots of episode directing on various stuff). Stars an army of talent: Abe Atsushi (Touma in Index, Akiyuki in Xam'd) and Hino Satoshi (Yuuji in Shana, Saito in ZnT, Botasky in Cat poo poo One) as the main characters; also stars Kawasumi Ayako, Fujimura Ayumi, Suwabe Junichi, Hayami Saori and Yahagi Sayuri. Note that the manga is still ongoing, so expect an anime original ending.

10/02: Tegami Bachi REVERSE (Letter Bee Reverse)
I don't think anybody cared about the first season very much.

10/03: Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge
SHAFT does a second season of that series about a buncha weirdos under a bridge.

10/04: Omae Umasou da na (You look delicious)
TV Tokyo kids show (with 5-minute episodes airing every weekday) about dinosaurs adopting other dinosaurs. Adaption of a popular picture book.

10/04: Otome Youkai Zakuro
JC Staff and Kon "why can't we have nice things" Chiaki (Umineko, Nodame Cantabile S2/S3, Higurashi) do a show about catgirls doing silly things together with army recruits in Meiji era Japan. Nakahara Mai (Nagisa in Clannad, Rena in Higurashi) and Sakurai Takahiro (Suzaku in Code Geass, Meme in Bakemonogatari, the medicine seller in Mononoke) as the main characters. If you start a thread about this show, petition a mod to let you use this tag:

10/07: Agriculture Girl!
Kids show about some girls that grow rice. Sadly, it has nothing to do with Moyashimon.

10/07: Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (Still, the Town Keeps Spinning)
SHAFT, Shinbou Akiyuki and the usual SHAFT crew adapts a slice-of-life manga about some girl who works at a café and dreams of being a detective. OP by Sakamoto Maaya. Unusually low-profile voice cast for a SHAFT show; none of the usual suspects are present.

10/08: Karl to Fushigi na Tou
Kids show about some dude and a fishy tower.

10/14: Kuragehime (Octopussies)
A nerdy girl who is a huge fan of jellyfish moves to Tokyo to pursue her dream of becoming an illustrator. She moves into a women-only apartment complex full of fujoshi (female otaku); odd stuff starts to happen when she meets a man in drag. Airs in the Noitamina timeslot and is based on a josei manga that has won a whole bunch of prizes etc. Animation by Brains Base and directed by Omori Takahiro (Baccano, Durarara, Natsume Yuujinchou); about half of the usual Brains Base team that worked on Baccano/DRRR/Natsume is also involved somewhere. Hanazawa Kana as the protagonist; also stars Okamura Akemi (Nami in One Piece) and Noto Mamiko.
Basically what I'm sayin' here is that this poo poo's confirmed for ownage; you should watch it.

October: Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto (Star Driver: Fabulouso Takuto)
BONES does its own version of Code Geass (or maybe Utena+Macross). No seriously, it fits. It's mecha show with a lot of high school elements, there's a mysterious girl who is needed to unlock ancient powers, it has the protagonist's name in the show title, Fukuyama Jun voices one of the main characters and instead of CLAMP doing fabulous character designs they have Enokido Youji (of Revolutionary Girl Utena and Ouran High School Host Club fame) writing a fabulous script. Other talent includes Koyama Shigeto (art/mecha design for E7, Gurren Lagann, Eva movies and other stuff), Miyano Mamoru (Setsuna in Gundam 00), Hayami Saori (Saki in Eden), Koshimizu Ami and Sakamoto Maaya. Basically this can either be the next Macross or it can be the show that finally convinces people that BONES sucks now; potentially it can be both.

October: FORTUNE ARTERIAL -Akai Yakusoku- (Fortune Arterial - Crimson Promise)
Anime adaption of a very generic harem eroge about an extremely posh boarding school. Also, vampires. Directed by Nawa Munenori, who also directed Kiss x Sis. Draw your own conclusions.

October: Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai (The World God Only Knows)
Manglobe makes an anime version of a manga about a dude who only likes 2D women. See the manga thread.

October: Togainu no Chi
A-1 Pictures does a postapocalyptic Battle Royale variant with a lot of gay men, based on a visual novel by Nitro+. Sugita Tomokazu as one of the main characters.

October: To Aru Majutsu no Index II (A Certain Magical Index Season 2)
Toaru Majutsu no Index (とある魔術の禁書目録(インデックス), Toaru Majutsu no Indekkusu?, translated as A Certain Magical Index of Prohibited Books and shortened to A Certain Magical Index) is a Japanese light novel series written by Kazuma Kamachi and illustrated by Kiyotaka Haimura; the series is published by ASCII Media Works under their Dengeki Bunko imprint. The series was made into a manga, beginning serialization in May 2007, and a 24-episode anime[1] which aired between October 2008 and March 2009. A second season of the anime has been announced[2] and will begin airing in October 2010. A side story manga series, A Certain Scientific Railgun (とある科学の超電磁砲(レールガン), Toaru Kagaku no Rērugan?), began serialization in March 2007 and was later adapted into a 24-episode anime, which aired from October 2009 to March 2010 in Japan.[3] An original video animation episode of Railgun will be released on October 29, 2010.[3] Funimation Entertainment has licensed the first anime season of Index and Railgun. Seven Seas Entertainment will begin releasing the Railgun manga in June 2011.
Plot and characters
Main article: List of Toaru Majutsu no Index characters
Toaru Majutsu no Index is set in Academy City, a technologically advanced Academic city located at western Tokyo which studies scientifically advanced superhuman students with powers, but is also set in a world where magic is also real. Tōma Kamijō is a student in Academy City whose right hand, the Imagine Breaker, has the ability to negate all magic and psychic powers, but also his own luck. One day he finds a young girl hanging on his balcony railing named Index. She is a nun from Necessarius, the secret magic branch of the Church of England, and her mind has been implanted with the Index Librorum Prohibitorum—103,000 forbidden magical books the Church has removed from circulation. His encounter with her leads him to meet others from the secret world of science and magic and an adventure with his friends where science and magic collide. Tōma's unusual power places him at the center of conflicts relating magicians and science-based espers in Academy City. As Tōma tries to help and protect his friends, he learns the people he knows are not as they appear and begins to attract the attention of magicians and espers alike as they try to unravel the secrets of Academy City and Index.

October: Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls
Fanservice anime about girls fighting each other in some absurd military high school setting, complete with all the usual related tropes.

October: Motto To LOVE-ru
fanservice

October: Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be This Cute)
No. Just... no.

October: Hakuouki: Shinsengumi Kitan II
Prettyboy samurai, etc.

October: Yosuga no Sora (The Sky as My Home)
Anime adaption of an eroge where the primary gimmick is incest between the two main characters, who are twins. Directed by Takahashi Takeo (Spice & Wolf).

October: Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
JC Staff does an anime about underaged moé detective girls.

October: Shinryaku! Ika Musume (Invade! Squiddy)
Adaption of a comedy manga about a squid girl who wants to invade humanity as punishment for pollution. Directed by Mizushima Tsutomu (Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku, Kemeko Deluxe, Genshiken OVA). Stars Tanaka Rie and Fujimura Ayumi (Azaka in Kara no Kyoukai).

Fall: Pokémon Best Wishes
No words necessary.

Fall: Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
loving Bee Train and one of their less lovely directors adapt a series of mystery novels about a dude who can see spirits. Only 13 episodes (and a not very Bee Train-ish director), so maybe it won't be as snore-inducing as Bee Train series usually are. Ono Daisuke (Itsuki in Haruhi) as the protagonist.

Fall: Rita et Matchin
Kids show; adaption of a French (?) picture book.

Fall OVA's and movies

09/03: Solanin
Live action movie adaption of the Asano Inio manga (see the thread). This is the DVD release date.

09/04: BECK
Live action movie. Engrish.

09/04: Tamayura - 01
King of Slice-of-Life Satou Junichi (Aria, Kaleido Star, Sailor Moon) does (guess what) an anime original slice-of-life OVA about some girl who moves to a new town, makes friends and takes photographs. Taketatsu Ayana (Azusa in K-on) as the protagonist. Also stars Nakata Jouji (Alucard, high tension taxi driver in CANAAN) in a very minor role for some reason. darkgray will tell you to watch this.
Listed date is the date it pre-airs on TV; DVD comes out 11/25.

09/10: Katanagatari - 09
See the thread.

09/11: Kowarekake no Orgel
Movie (well, like 35 minutes) remake of a self-published anime OVA from 2008, by the creator of Moetan. It's about some dude who meets a broken robot, very very sad story, yes?

09/12: Queen's Blade: Utsukushiki Toushi-tachi - 02
tits, now on DVD

09/18: Gekijouban Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 -Awakening of the Trailblazer- (Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: Awakening of the Trailblazer)
Still don't know what this is all about.

09/25: Break Blade - 03

09/25: Kimi ni Todoke
Live action movie.

09/30: Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail - 002
DVD/Bluray date.

10/09: RED LINE
From the summer thread: Extremely stylish racing anime movie that looks just like it came straight outta the 80's.

10/09: Onigamiden
Studio Pierrot does a historical movie based on a pair of novels about humans fighting demons in Kyoto in the 9th century. Very little details known. Listed date is the cinema date.

10/10: Queen's Blade: Utsukushiki Toushi-tachi - 03

10/15: Katanagatari - 10
See the thread.

10/23: Hidamari Sketch Hoshimittsu Special 1
10/30: Hidamari Sketch Hoshimittsu Special 2
( X'_______________' )

10/30: Kidou Senshi Gundam Unicorn - 02 (Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn)
Zorak approves of this. See the Gundam thread.

10/30: Heartcatch Precure Movie

11/03: Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail - 003
DVD/Bluray date.

11/06: Soukou Kihei Votoms - Case; IRVINE (Armored Trooper Votoms: Case Irvine)
More Votoms OVA's that I admit to not having any idea about.

11/06: Mardock Scramble - the First Compression
Cyberpunk/assassination/revenge/gothic lolita movie, based on some novels by Ubukata Tow (Le Chevalier d'Eon, Heroic Age). Hayashibara Megumi (!) as the protagonist.

11/06: Maria-sama ga Miteru movie
Live action movie.

11/14: Queen's Blade: Utsukushiki Toushi-tachi - 04

11/27: .hack//Quantum
Yet another franchise I've lost track of.

11/27: Mazinkaiser SKL
Oldschool super robot OVA, directed by Kawagoe Jun (Kotetsushin Jeeg, Getter Robo OVA's). About half of the people on the entire English-speaking internet that care about this are probably hanging out here somewhere.

11/27: Koisento
Sunrise does a "super science-fiction romantic comedy" OAV. With deer.

12/18: Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya)
DVD/Bluray release date.

12/25: Soukyuu no Fafner Dead Agressor: Heaven and Earth
Movie animated by Xebec. No details known except that Hirai Hisashi still sucks.

December: Space Battleship Yamato
Even more live action.

Fall: GARO ~Red Requiem~
Apparently Japan wants to cash in on the 3D movie gimmick too before it gets old, so here's a 3D sequel of a tokusatsu TV show that aired in 2005 (was simulwatched here recently).

Later stuff

Information here may be incomplete, inaccurate or just outright fabricated. Nothing bolded because of the aforementioned circumstances.

January 2011: Fractale
Noitamina's winter offering. Unlike most Noitamina projects it's not a josei thing at all; rather it seems to be an original story by "otaku scholar" Azuma Hiroki, directed by Yamamoto "Yamakan" Yutaka (Kannagi, some episodes of Lucky Star) and animated by A-1 (QUALITY) pictures. Some people are speculating that this would have been the fourth Anime no Chikara show, but since that project was a miserable failure and got cancelled, it somehow ended up on Noitamina instead. All signs point to moé gimmicks, forced drama and general suck.

January 2011: GOSICK
BONES and Nanba Hitoshi (Heroman) adapt a series of mystery light novels that are sorta like Sherlock Holmes but moé and with gothic lolitas. The novels are licensed; a review of volume 1 is available.

Spring 2011: Deadman Wonderland
Based on the manga; see the manga thread. No staff/cast known yet, but the animation studio is said to be Manglobe.

2011? Gothicmade - Hana no Utame (Gothicmade - the Floral Poet)
Nagano Mamoru's (Five Star Stories) solo project. Yeah. Date extremely uncertain.

02/02 2011: Kara no Kyoukai - The Garden of Sinners
Bluray boxset release date; includes 30-minute epilogue. Japanese boxset will have English subtitles.

Nothing mind-bending, really. Bakuman is the new manga from the Death Note writer featuring a mangaka writing a manga! Kinda reminds me of Adaption by Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman. Besides from that, only Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt seems mandatory, with me being a Gainax fanboy and such. Furthermore I will most likely end up watching Star Driver. I watched the trailer for Mardock Scramble some months ago and it looked kinda promising. Not sure about that though.

Top Bottom