• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

well, who knew...

cedardust

damn I wish I could be a ninja
Local time
Today 1:57 AM
-->
Strange. For some reason I got on this quest earlier today to gain a better understanding of exactly what is meant by "quantum" computing, physics, mechanics... so on... I was just telling my son yesterday that I never took a single physics class in school, but I wish I did (this is as I struggled to explain to him why the supersized mc donalds cup he was playing with in the bath could keep air in it while he pushed it under the water, likewise how water could be held in it when all but the rim was out of the water). It was a whole different matter that got me started on the quest today though. Either way, I am shamefully ignorant when it comes to physics. I've got this great book sitting next to me called the Tao of Physics that I'm hoping I'll find the time to read because ...well, I'm darn curious! And I need to have better answers for my son when he asks me questions like that!
Back to the point, I was confused with this quantum thing, so I did what I always do when I'm not sure about something, figure out what it's opposite is. Well, there's no antonyms for the word in the thesarus. I was a bit confused because how could it be without any opposite. Words that don't have antonyms?!?! I searched that and ended up at a post on this forum. Reading the post I realized, ahh...quantum is a noun and does not have an opposite. :facepalm:Like I said, I am shamefully ignorant when it comes to physics. But that was good because I was worried that my own personal philosophy that there is always some equilibrium, and opposites are just on different ends of the spectrum, but all relate and cannot exist without eachother was going down the drain. I see now that I was apparently very confused trying to gain a quick understanding of quantum theory and I somehow managed to miss the fact that quantum was a noun and really did not have an antonym like many other nouns. And...the lack of sleep last night probably didn't help.
Really, that is neither here nor there, or perhaps it is everywhere, but the strange thing is as I was reading the post I thought, well, what is this forum anyway? Because this post is actually pretty interesting. I look up, ahh, INTP huh? :)

:confused: wait a minute. What the heck is INTP? So I look around the forum briefly, hoping to find some meaning to these letters, but there was no clear answer. There was no "Welcome to INTP, which stands for________" Now I'm even more curious. So I search it and :eek: Seriously? I pull up "Traits of INTP personality type" from the VeryWell site....I can't believe! On the Myers Briggs Type Indicator and I somehow missed it when I took Personality Psychology in college? Or really any of the years as I got my BA (in psychology). Really because I read it and I'm like holy smokes! I did not know there was an actual defined personality type, because it fits me to the key! I don't know how the heck I missed it in college or when doing research just on my own. I would have read up on INTP A LOT if I had ever heard of it before! I'm seeing it now and I'm like OMG I'm not alone! And to see in that article I pulled up there was an estimation of 1 to 5% of people display this personality type. 1 to 5%???? Well sh*t. That explains a lot then. I can't believe the estimation is so low. It's kind of scary actually. I just really can't believe I've never come across this before. Well I guess if only 1 to 5% of people are INTP maybe it does make sense I didn't come across it. And here I am, sleep deprived, on some wild goose chase to find something that doesn't even exist (the antonym) and I end up finding something I didn't even know existed, and it's totally what I am (much as I hate to label myself things...) Just really strange. Serendipitous for sure.
So hello! Wow, it is a really cool though to actually find a community where I might ... I'm not even sure what to say. I guess to find people with the same personality type as me (and to find out that my personality is a....type? Again, I feel like I'm labeling not just myself but you folk in this community, and I'm a little uncomfortable with that...
But, here I am, looking forward to exploring this forum more and maybe having some though pervoking conversations! That would be cool! I appologize if my post is ....strange.... like I said, this is strange... and the sleep deprivation, and I'm also adhd (again with the labeling, but if I'm a bit all over the place it's just part of who I am)... and for any spelling errors which I'm sure there are plenty of, but I'm not feeling like figuring out which of these icons above is a spell checker....did not plan on writing so much here, and must go make dinner for the kids now, but I had to share this because I really find it pretty neat.
Alright then. Thanks for your time if you read this, and have a good night :) darn, and my batteries about to die so I'm not even going to preview before i post

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
-->
Well, welcome to the forum, btw.

Quantum stuff is odd. Maybe there is an antonym, what about "everyday common sense"? I mean, things don't dissapear or are in two places at the same time in the scale we're used to live on (like the smallest things we come across are rice, or sand grains, or dust... and it's huge compared to the scale of where the quantum effects are considerably more relevant).

Hm, even tho I wouldn't say I'm all into the INTPf community (college makes me miss a lot), I'd say that I'm pretty comfortable around here (I registered exactly seven months ago, and wow, time flies).

I noticed you used the word serendipitous over there, are you from a spanish-talking country? (I mean, it's not the kind of word common english-talking people use and I've heard over here -Venezuela- several times, or maybe they do and I'm just being ignorant).

And finally, maybe pressing "enter" a little bit more often would be great, but I mean no offense.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 6:57 AM
-->
yeah press enter man. and hi.

cedardust

Local time
-->
I will try my best with the enter suggestion :o

My mind was just a bit on overload from this intense research frenzy I was on regarding.. well, quantum theory, but more in a connecting it to information technology, and quantum computing. And the relation to informatics. Also, (as I am currently trying to find a job) how I might get myself into this "field". This BA degree in psychology isn't good for much besides all of the knowledge I gained from college.

Enter. ;) Most of the jobs one might try to get with the degree I have require experience that I don't have. And honestly they're not really what I want to be doing. I got this ~epiphany last night that I shoud look into certifications for Information Technology.

What does that have to do with psychology? I've been compiling a lot of research on the interactions between brain functioning especially analytical though, and our exposure to information technology. What I'm finding has me concerned. I'd love to share my summary of it with you all here once I've got all my random scattered notes on it in order and most importantly with ...

Enter.

So, neuropsychology is where my heart lies, but I need the PhD. If I can't have the brain aspect of it, then I'll take the IT aspect of it. Obtaining certifications probably will get me where I want to be quicker than trying to go back for my Phd.

Before last night I didn't know much about IT. I never even heard of the word Informatics, but it pulled me in because it's what I've been attempting to do with this research. At least a certain aspect of informatics. I'm sorry I can't explain it very well, I'm still trying to process all the info I just found.

And serendipitous.... it was just the most accurate word for how I felt. I'm from New York.

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
-->
Well, so a BA pshycologist trying to enter the IT world, that's new.

I understand that unlike many countries where specific degrees limit you to certain work areas, in the US you aren't that limited. So maybe there's a chance for you to get that job.

Last week there was a "talent exposition" on college. It's actually more like big companies with ridiculously small stands trying to hire interns from here, have you thought on starting in something like that? (Btw, it's funny cuz I'm on a physics major and everytime I asked what major where they interested on they said "all"... until I said mine and they were like "All right... maybe not that one").

Besides, we live in the XXI century, there's a lot of documentation available about... almost everything (and especially related to technology-stuff), doing an online course, perhaps?

And serendipitous.... it was just the most accurate word for how I felt. I'm from New York.

Well then. That just made my perception the Big Apple a little bit more friendly.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 3:27 PM
-->
Hello and welcome!

I'm just finishing off my undergraduate in psychology now (this post serves as procrastination to my very last assignment :0)

The MBTI is not really considered scientific by the psychological community. It's hardly discussed at university, and when it is, it's often held up as an example of science done wrong. This is why you haven't heard of it. That said, I encourage you to make up your own mind. I myself am highly skeptical, but will concede that the people that crap all over it tend to not have as good an idea as they might wish you to believe, rarely going beyond 'the science say it bad' and getting into the 'why' of it being bad. While I've been on this forum a long while, I've never found the time to establish my understanding of the facts more concretely.

I also have a garbage comprehension of physics, having never been taught it, or having payed so little attention in class I never picked it up. Seems like going straight for the quantum stuff might be a little ambitious, but each to their own.

cedardust

Local time
-->
I live right next to the Great Lakes, so it's a bit of a different country compared to NYC. Really, 2 different worlds.

Information technology and psychology.... I'm on the idea of comparing brain functioning to computer functioning. Basically because I've been having a difficult time for the past number of months. A big part of it was because I was working with outdated and/or poorly designed technology which left me suffering technical difficulties more often than not. I ended up in financial trouble over it (and my former job that sucked out all my energy and paid me minimal wages made it worse).

My laptop wouldn't charge, my phone was a blackberry and after everyone stopped supporting the browsers I had available I was unable to manage my finances online. So, I finally repaired the laptop. I procrastinated so long doing it because a while back I had to repair my daughters laptop and it was so frusterating the way the thing was put together I really didn't want to have to experience it again. Thankfully mine was not so difficult to repair.

I couldn't afford a new phone, but at this point couldn't afford to not get one, so I found a used android (an older version), taught myself overnight how to root it, wipe it, install a custom rom, get it working the way I wanted it to, and most importantly (in my own mind) eliminated Google from it. I am now running android powered by me. Not google. I don't like google at all. No one needs to know that much about you and power all you do.

So now the laptop works, and the phone does only what I want it to do when I want it to do it. I need to be in control of my technology, not the other way around.

I also had to tweak the laptop because it's older and was not very efficient. You know, it kept lagging. And freezing up. I transformed my frustration into amusement by comparing my own brain to it. So many programs running, the poor processor was overloaded. And I had so much crap going on in my life at once, the processing center of my brain was overloaded, and I kept lagging and freezing up. And damnit, there's not an update available for my brain. :ahh:

But there's more to it that just that. Information technology, the ammounts of info we take in every day, and the way it is presented to us does have an effect on our neurological functioning.

My son keeps talking to me so I'm not going to get further into it right now.

But....well....ah yes, I graduated from college 10 years ago, with plans to move on to graduate school. I wasn't accepted when I first applied. I suck at standardized tests. I graduated top of my class, but average scores on the GRE did not impress. Bah. I got busy with life and the kids and never did apply again.

Really I would just like to get involved in research. It really doesn't even matter what area, as long as its research. I'm good at it, and I love it. Unfortunatly I don't have any professional experience with it so I've got to explore less traditional ways to .... get someone to want to hire me?

Well, I met with my aunt today who is a professional and technical writer. She's working with me to get a resume together. I'm lucky to have her :) she's helping me get a bit more of a realistic perspective on it.

Like the just starting to understand physics and I jump right on quantum theory. That's just me. When I was young my mom had me take piano lessons. That didn't last long. My teacher kept trying to get me to play things like Mary had a little lamb. I'd go home and pull out the Mozart.

I think that's a part of my ADHD. It has to be what others might think is too challenging otherwise I'll become bored with it and it will slowly fade out of my exitance.

I'm probably defying my own logical nature by always trying to start from the pinnical and work my way down. Even if I pick up a magazine, I start reading it from back to front.

IDK. Maybe it's just the rebel in me.... AND I admit, it could be part of the reason I'm the age I am (I stopped counting after 30) and haven't had a real career yet.

Then there's the personality thing. I was slightly firmiliar with the MBTI, but never read a description of INTP. I pulled out the old personality psychology text book and found just what you said Hadoblando. Ah...they didn't even really get into it in that book. I studied numerous psychological tests and measures (and took the class) in college, so it was basically just floating in my head with all the other abriviated names of tests....

Well the point is I better understand why I didn't know about "INTP" before. Really though, it was just weird reading the description of it. I could not have written a better description of myself. I've never fit very well into any single ... concept? ... description? I'm not really sure what word to use there. But I'm always a little bit of that a little bit of this....not really quite that. With the descriptions I read of INTP I was actually kind of spooked out because it was very close to 100% fitting to me. That's never happened to me.

However it holds up in the scientific community is not as important to me as the fact that it helped me basically understand myself (and others) better. And I guess it gives me a means to connect with others who might think in ways that are more aligned with how I think.

Oh my gosh, my son keeps talking and the cats are running around me like loons. I've gotta get off this computer before I go into system overload.

:storks:

Top Bottom