• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Weird eccentric INTP stuff you do

HDINTP

Local time
Today 8:40 AM
-->
How i read back i really think it wasn´t like INTP stuff with me but i just wrote things that the others consider as weird.

Wasp

Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a serious
Local time
Today 12:40 AM
-->
Hehe...when my classmates say something idiotic or something that makes me mad I speak to them in Spanish whilst signing American Sign Language, the look on their faces is just priceless :D.

Geminii

Consultant, inventor, project innovator
Local time
Today 3:40 PM
-->
When I hum a song to myself, I'll emulate the rhythm or drum line by making a hi-hat cymbal sound, and try to play it so that I can still hum the whole song AND play a matching/counterpoint beat without the two vocally interfering with each other. Can get interesting, sometimes.

WhatTheFunction

Redshirt
Local time
-->
- When I listen to music while walking, I do spastic movements with my hands. I remember a man gesturing at me because of it.

- I can't look a person in the eye for extended amounts of time, no matter how close I am to them.

- I make a lot of random noises instead of actually saying something. Sometimes, I don't really notice when I'm doing it.

- I space out during conversation or interaction with friends.

- I feel uncomfortable hanging out with someone one-on-one no matter how well I know them. I'll eventually feel uncomfortable some point in the session.

- I forget where I put things almost instantly. I barely pay attention to when I'm doing something because I'm usually too wrapped up in thought and then I have to retrace my steps. I continuously lose my phone because of this. It took me 6 hours to find it.

- I get completely obsessed with a topic/subject/object for a certain amount of time. (Usually until I learn all I can about it or as much as I can about it.) As in, it's the only thing I think about; it's the only thing I talk about; it's the only thing I worry about.

Local time
Today 3:40 AM
-->
I do many of these things :)
I stroke my beard while having conversations
When typing, i always pronounce things in a british way. ie; colour or mum
I always thank people in spanish, and scold them when they answer in english
When something is not in put in numerical order, i often stare at the nearest person and focus on sending them subliminal messages until they either fix it, or walk away, at which point i move onto the next closest human being

Luna

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I don't know if this has anything to do with "INTP", but I have an embarassing and strange habit. If I'm sitting down and I get lost in my thoughts, or I come up with an idea or thought, sometimes I will, without even realizing it, jump out of my seat and start pacing around. Often times I will walk in circles or patterns. If there's stairs nearby, I'll run up and down the stairs. It's just a compulsive behavior. My legs carry me away without my own knowledge. Then I'll realize that I just did that, and try to calmly walk back. I've done this at school, work, and even other people's houses. I don't realize I'm doing it until I've already made myself look insane.

Katie

I'm new.
Local time
Today 7:40 AM
-->
This is my first post, please bear with me.
I love your word choice, eccentric and quirky. Well I have no idea if any of these may or may not be relevant but here goes. I have a habbit of throwing things away, practicly like the opposite of a hoarder. It upsets me to see my room how it is now, it's not empty enough but I can't get rid of what I have left. Besides clothes, makeup, and school supplies I own 3 stuffed animals from my boyfriend and his little sister, a stuffed bear from my mom, phone, phone charger, headphones, 2 pocketknives, and my glasses. My mom is always checking my trash in case I threw something important away.
If I'm sitting or on my phone Ill either rock back and forth, or spin in teeny circles, I hadn't even noticed it until my little sister recorded me doing it about a month ago.
I'm so introverted that I had just recently have been realising I have a different world in my head, and ill feel I express myself so well but people will point out I never do and it shocks me so much hahahaha.
I'm very misanthropic. I'll have breakdowns where I will lose all hope with humanity and fear having children in this horrible, morronic planet but I'm not sure if that's either a flaw in my judgment, me being narcissistic, or the sad sad truth.

Katie

I'm new.
Local time
-->
Oh more things! I like to make people eat non-foods, plants especially. Once I spent 2 hours laying in the grass with a friend and I had him eat pieces of grass, weeds, leaves, pieces of acorn, he willingly did it too with the right amount of convincing XD I'm evil.. I don't know what it is, maybe the control or their submission to me.. God I'm evil!
I have such a low view on people, but being by them I feel inferior, even to the lowest, most obnoxious moron. I don't understand it concidering I have such a high view on myself, my thoughts don't change but I suddenly lose control.

ObliviousGenius

Life is a side scroller, keep moving.
Local time
Today 2:40 AM
-->
I don't know if this has anything to do with "INTP", but I have an embarassing and strange habit. If I'm sitting down and I get lost in my thoughts, or I come up with an idea or thought, sometimes I will, without even realizing it, jump out of my seat and start pacing around. Often times I will walk in circles or patterns. If there's stairs nearby, I'll run up and down the stairs. It's just a compulsive behavior. My legs carry me away without my own knowledge. Then I'll realize that I just did that, and try to calmly walk back. I've done this at school, work, and even other people's houses. I don't realize I'm doing it until I've already made myself look insane.

This. Except I don't do it anywhere else besides at home. Sometimes I will get so immersed in that little "movie" (as I like to call it) that I am physically acting out what I am thinking. The thing is whenever I think in this way, my thoughts are very profound and I remember things down to the last detail. Many times the movies that I'm acting out become so realistic to the point that I'm able to predict what someone's going to say before they think it.

thelithiumcat

Local time
-->
Sometimes I become over-sensitive to my environment. I get irritated and unsettled by the smallest noises.
When I approach problems I start by creating a whole new system or starting a wholly different solution to the last time. I usually get stuck if I attempt to continue my previous solution. My solutions can be overly complicated; especially if they're earlier ones.

Beholder

What for?
Local time
Today 9:40 AM
-->
I don't know if this has anything to do with "INTP", but I have an embarassing and strange habit. If I'm sitting down and I get lost in my thoughts, or I come up with an idea or thought, sometimes I will, without even realizing it, jump out of my seat and start pacing around. Often times I will walk in circles or patterns. If there's stairs nearby, I'll run up and down the stairs. It's just a compulsive behavior. My legs carry me away without my own knowledge. Then I'll realize that I just did that, and try to calmly walk backs. I've done this at school, work, and even other people's houses. I don't realize I'm doing it until I've already made myself look insane.

I do this all the time, if I can't get up and walk around I start getting really hyperactive and tapping on my legs, table or whatever's around. And I have to talk out loud, I think I do this so I don't lose my train of thought.

HDINTP

Local time
Today 8:40 AM
-->
I do this all the time, if I can't get up and walk around I start getting really hyperactive and tapping on my legs, table or whatever's around. And I have to talk out loud, I think I do this so I don't lose my train of thought.

Me too. I never thought about that like many of others do this so now i see i am not alone and maybe there will be a lot more...

Haiduc

Local time
-->
Bored of reading things forwards, I started reading them backwards. I did this pretty obsessively for about six months when I was in my early teens until I decided it was probably best if I stopped.

It did raise a few questions though. Do you read the word backwards letter-by-letter? Or do you read the word backwards by sound group or syllable?

(No-one had any answers to those questions.)

Geminii

Consultant, inventor, project innovator
Local time
Today 3:40 PM
-->
I don't know if this has anything to do with "INTP", but I have an embarassing and strange habit. If I'm sitting down and I get lost in my thoughts, or I come up with an idea or thought, sometimes I will, without even realizing it, jump out of my seat and start pacing around.

Yup. I've been called out on pacing up and down before.

MsAnthropy_Indefatigably

The Black One
Local time
-->
Well every couple years I somehow lead my friends down a path of some strange dialect that we begin using around only each other, but incessantly and to the point where, when other people come over to visit, they start doing it too! So now, even thought we're highly intelligent people (well at least 1 or 2 of us are), we start talking like some other group of people. Nowadays it's talking like we're from some part of the countriest South (of America) Lots of horrible and improper grammar and overall destruction of the English Language. At one point in time we all talked like Cartman from South Park for a while....

I dance and sing in my car on the way to and from work practically everyday. I don't do it the whole time, but it seems like i'm the only one that does it at all. People in their cars all look serious and too important to get down a little.

Sometimes I see how long I can go without bathing before anyone will say anything... no one ever says anything, so I have to recalibrate my "time for a bath" indicator....

I am ONLY nice to my cats. I don't like people too much, so 9 out of ten times (oh, with exception of my son, whom I adore, although he also knows my affection limits as well) If I am hugging something, it's usually my cat. And all my friends get jealous.

I hate eye contact. I avoid looking at people purely because I feel like my eyes look wayyyy bigger to others than it does to me. So as to not frighten or concern anyone, I don't look at them. I think I look at crotches more than I do eyes.

I think my laptop is about to die and I have to go play Dance Central for a while so that's all I can think of for now.

soupymess

kick trees
Local time
-->
I twirl my hair. Is that unusual for males?

Ademilson Moraes

Redshirt
Local time
Today 4:40 AM
-->
When I was younger, I had already noticed that I could not express my feelings by talking. So I thought of starting a journal, and so I did. I´ve just started when I realized that I was incapable of expressing my feelings by writing too, as it could be read by anyone, anytime (and I realy do not like of people knowing what I think about some subjects, because they suddenly start freaking out at me). So I´ve made kind of a code, putting random symbols in the place of the normal letters, and then I started writing using this new writing code. I use this sometimes nowadays, actually. I don´t know if this is eccentric at all, or if is just another weird thing about me, just wanted to share.

MsAnthropy_Indefatigably

The Black One
Local time
-->
Speaking of "when I was younger"...
I remembered as a child, I would sometimes get in trouble for doing something to one of my younger brothers... and my mother would say, "Tell your brother sorry!" and I never would, I would only say, "hush". Which is some Jamaican slang I picked up in my household that crossed between "shut up" and "don't worry, everything's gonna be fine" lol

I eventually stopped telling anyone i was sorry, instead using "hush" as my scapegoat...

As an adult, it has been unfortunately replaced with "My Bad" :cool:

mke2686

Local time
-->
Sometimes I speak with untraditional vocabulary just to avoid conversation.

Local time
-->
When I was a little kid I recall clearly two habits that I seldom do these days but this thread brought them to mind. The first was that while taking a bath (we had no shower back then) upon first sitting in the bath tub...my knees up, out of the water and dry...I would lower first one knee , and then the other, watching carefully as the water rose up ....I recall watching intently as the circle of water rose up my leg nearing the knee cap...and knowing that I must allow it to cover the knee but not really wanting to let it happen.... I liked seeing/knowing that I could control this process...
The other habit is harder to describe...maneuvering my tongue in my mouth so that the edge was against the roof of my mouth and when pulling the tongue backwards in my mouth, I felt the edge of my tongue sharply against the roof of my mouth....I would often repeat this process dozens of times in an attempt to see if I could increase the duration of that edge against the roof sensation....Weird I guess

Of course it is probably stranger that although I am a practicing lawyer, I shop thrift stores several times per week and have amassed a bizarre assortment of vintage items .... most of which are high end items I could not afford as a teenager... vintage stereo equipment / vintage skateboards / vintage bicycles .....It is quite a joy to find a bicycle that you recall cost $500 in 1976 for $10 at your local thrift store...etc etc etc... but alas there is only so much room for all this stuff .... There are patterns you know in how these things that we (society) discard show up at thrift stores.... 8 tracks / vinyl / cassettes / cds....etc... Id say based on my observations that we are firmly in the cassette tape era of thrift store availability.... which is great.. I recently scored a wad... maybe 200 ...TDK SA 90 cassette tapes that were donated by some branch or another of our local public library...perfect condition...

My sons accuse me of being a poseur.. or hipster.... I assure you this I am not.... When I see those extra skinny urban gay male models posing in a J Crew catalog, pretending to be loggers with their plaid flannel shirts, stanley thermos and hobnail boots I want to kick them in the damn face....

Mello

Gone.
Local time
-->
I do this really weird thing of having and expressing my feelings now. (You're allowed to. I think.)

zether

Redshirt
Local time
-->
When I'm eating grapes, I roll every single one between my fingers, checking for anomalies. It's almost become a meditation of sorts. This way, I catch the sneaky grape with the miniscule spot of mold before it enters my mouth. never again...

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
When I'm eating grapes, I roll every single one between my fingers, checking for anomalies. It's almost become a meditation of sorts. This way, I catch the sneaky grape with the miniscule spot of mold before it enters my mouth. never again...
Hehe. Same. This goes for all similar foodstuff.

P.H.

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.
Local time
-->
I'm not sure if it falls under this category, but I analyse traffic situations. Especially traffic light controlled ones and crossroads.

It started with recognizing patterns while waiting for red lights, which resulted in running red lights "safely" because I knew when it was impossible for a car to cross my path. It liked how efficient it was, no unnecessary waiting.

I only did this when I was walking or on my bike. I can't drive a car and if I could, I wouldn't run a red light with it. I do it less nowadays because the need for it (I had trouble being on time) has shrunk.

MizKodomo

Local time
Today 1:40 AM
-->
I'm not sure if this is INTP stuff, but I tend to zone out when someone is talking to me, unless it's super interesting. I also get singularly obsessed with either getting something, or going somewhere.

^
That is like me

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Secretly photograph pretty females at my school (sometimes they stare directly at me while I'm doing so) and post the photos on facebook and/or flickr.

BridgeOfSighs

OneShirt TwoShirt RedShirt BlueShirt
Local time
-->
Sometimes I become over-sensitive to my environment. I get irritated and unsettled by the smallest noises.

When I approach problems I start by creating a whole new system or starting a wholly different solution to the last time. I usually get stuck if I attempt to continue my previous solution. My solutions can be overly complicated; especially if they're earlier ones.

No one EVER understands why the first one bothers me. It can even be a bird chirping nearby and I'll shoo it away.

Same, again.

I also have to keep the minimum number of lights on in my apartment. It annoys the hell out of me when I walk into a room and find a light switched on in a place no one has been for even 10 minutes. When I go out everything has to be shut off, too.

ObliviousGenius

Life is a side scroller, keep moving.
Local time
-->
I'm not sure if it falls under this category, but I analyse traffic situations. Especially traffic light controlled ones and crossroads.

It started with recognizing patterns while waiting for red lights, which resulted in running red lights "safely" because I knew when it was impossible for a car to cross my path. It liked how efficient it was, no unnecessary waiting.

I only did this when I was walking or on my bike. I can't drive a car and if I could, I wouldn't run a red light with it. I do it less nowadays because the need for it (I had trouble being on time) has shrunk.

Yeah me too. I go to school in downtown Chicago and I try to calculate the times for each light, when to cross the street to get past a light in just in time, and even plot out routes so that I never have to stop moving while not going out of my way. I usually need to do this because I'm always running late lol.

Local time
-->
I recently began sweeting my coffee with lemon-lime gatorade powder. After a few days of drinking it it actually starts to taste good.

Local time
-->
And ditto on predicting street lights/crosswalks and adjusting routes accordingly.

Fghw

Local time
-->
I get most of my work done between 1AM and 7AM, I sleep from 9PM to 1AM. I like being up when everybody else is down.

On weekdays, I sleep from 3PM to 9PM. On weekends, 7AM to 5PM

Fghw

Local time
-->
I believe I'm naturally destructive. When I've just woken up and I'm only partially conscious, when my hand happens to sense something, I pick it up and throw it for absolutely no reason.

SLushhYYY

Local time
-->
I went through a long period of time saying "who me?" whenever I felt as if somebody was talking to me. I was alone with a friend in the planes of Wyoming and every time he would spark up a conversation, that would be the first thing out of my mouth and it annoyed the shit out of him at an exponential rate.

Santiago

Local time
-->
I write completely backwards when I am bored sometimes

Attachments

• 374969_529581743735772_794570523_n.jpg
    374969_529581743735772_794570523_n.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 550933_535079066519373_1663752426_n.jpg
    550933_535079066519373_1663752426_n.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 323
  • 21704_535079166519363_431956962_n.jpg
    21704_535079166519363_431956962_n.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 532151_535079199852693_817453660_n.jpg
    532151_535079199852693_817453660_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 292

PhoenixRising

nyctophiliac
Local time
-->
Originally Posted by Stelliferous
I'm not sure if this is INTP stuff, but I tend to zone out when someone is talking to me, unless it's super interesting.

This ^ people get so annoyed with me when I do that.

-I talk to myself, like have full conversations between the different parts of my psyche.. sometimes out loud if there's no one around.

-I read license plates and try to find meaning or patterns in them. I do the same thing with other random sets of numbers or letters.

-I often fiddle with something when I'm thinking or talking to someone, or tap my fingers in a creepy way.. at least people tell me it's creepy.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 8:40 PM
-->
apparently i talk to myself. only realised this when my mum asked me not to talk to the ghosts and talk to her instead. actuallly, i just talk to people in my head, but only say my part of the conversation out loud.

I do the exact same thing! Its gratifying to realize I'm not the only one.

mu is mu

Local time
-->
Oddly enough I wasn't able to think of anything quirky or eccentric that I do. I think over the years I've learned I'd rather conceal my personality around most people for the sake of privacy than to engage in actions which they would simplistically and stubbornly deem as weird.

I do remember a stage in life in which I would wake up, put on whatever clothes were nearest to me, and only later realize in a public social setting that I was dressed like a nut.

...And then realize that I didn't care anyway, and subsequently continue daydreaming as if nothing unusual was happening.

Affinity

Local time
Today 1:40 AM
-->
I tend not to kill spiders or insects I find in my living quarters. Usually I'll try to extract them out of the house.

joal0503

Psychedelic INTP
Local time
-->
I tend not to kill spiders or insects I find in my living quarters. Usually I'll try to extract them out of the house.

i actually kept 2 wasps, 2 house spiders alive for nearly a month. i put them in a jar and kept feeding them. attempted to get a battle dome/survivor scenario...proved to be futile. I felt terrible when they started to die, and afterwards i made a vow to never harm an insect or animal again. i think that was almost 7 years ago.

I think for some reason my eccentricities are often confined to my own imagination and personal thoughts. I do not often physically do things that society would necessarily deem eccentric. Call it an societal camoflauge...Ive learned the game, and I know what to do to stay off radar. Ill find myself drifting into conversation or a sort of schizophrenic day dream from time to time... The things I visualize or see/hear/feel in my head feel visceral, its all just sort of weird i guess.

I totally forgot...I also tend to express a stranger side when im on interweb forums like this, or internet platforms in general. I dont think I have the bravado to do or think aloud the things I typically discuss.. .so fair warning to yaallllll

- excessive fapping
;)

Local time
-->
When I am with someone in public, I try to put them in awkward situations that I know will make them very uncomfortable.

For example:

-My ex-girlfriend(INFJ) and I would go grocery shopping. Whenever we passed a black person, I would say with a fairly loud voice "WOW. Can we not make RACIST jokes? Getting kinda old." Got her every time.

-My friend and I were at target buying some whipped cream for god knows what(I think his mom asked him to run to the store). So when the cashier looked at the lone can of whipped cream she was scanning, I pointed at my friend and said "Sometimes he can get really kinky". After his face turned bloodshot, he insisted that I was joking. I then said "Wow. Everywhere we go you do this. Its like you are ashamed of us."

CallumD

Local time
-->
I make pyramids in my head.
This is hard to explain but..

I basically make pyramids when I am bored or nervous, they have to be perfect otherwise I get slightly annoyed.

I count every corner/layer of the pyramid.

Sometimes they're in 3D, top view or side view.

Also, I count the corners/layers of the pyramid im making and make the pyramid bigger until the song I am listening to's lyrics end when I finish the pyramid.

Never thought it was that weird until I typed it out. What the fuck is wrong with me?

Edit: Excessive fapping

Nick

Frozen Fighter
Local time
Today 9:40 AM
-->
Stack thing vertically.

Leaded Wings

Redshirt
Local time
-->
One major quirk of mine is that I think it's hilarious to alter certain words. I will hear an obscure pronunciation of a word from a TV show, friend, acquaintance, etc., and proceed to pronounce that word in that way for years afterward. For example, I now pronounce the word "bro" in a way that makes it sound like "bruv" or "brew," no matter who I'm talking to. I always get a kick out of it because it brings back that certain memory of someone saying the word like that, though to everyone else I just seem a bit odd.

joal0503

Psychedelic INTP
Local time
-->
One major quirk of mine is that I think it's hilarious to alter certain words. I will hear an obscure pronunciation of a word from a TV show, friend, acquaintance, etc., and proceed to pronounce that word in that way for years afterward. For example, I now pronounce the word "bro" in a way that makes it sound like "bruv" or "brew," no matter who I'm talking to. I always get a kick out of it because it brings back that certain memory of someone saying the word like that, though to everyone else I just seem a bit odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TTvHTxHX-Y

Leaded Wings

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Exactly. The pronunciations come from obscure to popular origins. It doesn't seem to matter how well-known the reference is to people around me, as it matters greatly for many others. The only thing that matters is whether or not I enjoyed the scenario from which the pronunciation came.

Also, I find myself making up completely new words spontaneously from certain emotions I am feeling or things I am sensing. For example, when playing with my 6 mo. old puppy, the combination of certain things give me the strong urge to say words like "atzurbaicherny." It is as if that is the best word I can use to describe my puppy's personality and behavior.

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->
In my early twenties I did two years of weekly bible study, with no intention ever from the very start of joining up, with a Jehovah's Witness lady that knocked on my door.

In part out of boredom, part out of not having the heart to tell her to go away and part because it was amusing to learn about and gave me an excuse to pull out some books and not accomplish anything for a couple hours on the days she came over.

It seems to confuse people that I invited her in and carried on with it all for so long while never intending to join at all or having any interest from an actual religious point of view.

"Now... why did you do that again?"

"Because."

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
When I am with someone in public, I try to put them in awkward situations that I know will make them very uncomfortable.

For example:

-My ex-girlfriend(INFJ) and I would go grocery shopping. Whenever we passed a black person, I would say with a fairly loud voice "WOW. Can we not make RACIST jokes? Getting kinda old." Got her every time.

-My friend and I were at target buying some whipped cream for god knows what(I think his mom asked him to run to the store). So when the cashier looked at the lone can of whipped cream she was scanning, I pointed at my friend and said "Sometimes he can get really kinky". After his face turned bloodshot, he insisted that I was joking. I then said "Wow. Everywhere we go you do this. Its like you are ashamed of us."

Overall I find this very amusing, even if it might annoy me if you did it to me. Especially amusing was the last line of your second anecdote.

SLushhYYY

Local time
-->
Posting things like:

"That humorous moment when a level 1er tries to judge a level 2er"

On Facebook and getting likes, as if anybody actually understands the meaning.

Top Bottom