• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Very important for Aussies to watch...

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 3:25 AM
-->

I think this is a sign that Peterson is upping his game.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 5:55 PM
-->
Cliffnotes or time-stamp? I'm not watching 100 minutes just to guess at which of the 100 minutes you're interested in.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Uhm... Hado, did you catch who was the host of this thing?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
IDK why this is a problem Hado. People can choose whatever level of involvement in this thread that they want.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
Today 8:25 AM
-->
That's true but I think Hado's point is that it's hard to know what the thread is about from reading the OP unless 1) you specify what you find interesting about what Jordan Peterson is saying or 2) the reader scans 100 minutes of video for insights that may or may not be relevant to why you created the thread.

You're currently putting the onus on the reader to do all the work and are putting in minimal work yourself, which increases the chances that people won't engage with it. It's just about lowering the barrier to entry to increase the chances you'll get quality responses and the kind of discussion you're looking for.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
That's true but I think Hado's point is that it's hard to know what the thread is about from reading the OP unless 1) you specify what you find interesting about what Jordan Peterson is saying or 2) the reader scans 100 minutes of video for insights that may or may not be relevant to why you created the thread.

You're currently putting the onus on the reader to do all the work and are putting in minimal work yourself, which increases the chances that people won't engage with it. It's just about lowering the barrier to entry to increase the chances you'll get quality responses and the kind of discussion you're looking for.

You are making this out to be way more complicated then it really is. Watch the first 7 min of the video and it should be abundantly clear why I titled this thread the way I have. The video, specifically the first 30 min or so, are directly related to what is happening in Australia atm. The topic is surrounding the utter lack and dead interest and failed expectations of the political landscape that we see in Australia today. It does not take a brain surgeon to get what my point is here. I know what my point is and I am not even an Aussie. People who are Aussie should be able to identify in like 2 sec as soon as they start talking about it what my point is and why I think it's important. In short, the Aussies have completely lost faith in politics and this is NOT GOOD. I am not political, but I am an exception because I am working on a plane that is not political at all to change things. But this is different than being completely apathetic towards "what happens" in your country.

That is the message. Now you can choose if you want to watch or not depending on if you think it's a problem or not.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
Okay, so believe it or not Puffy is exactly right.

I believe you understand your point, but you haven't communicated it at all up until that post (#9). I'm not saying it's too complicated a point - for me to make that claim I would have had to know what it is.

Compare to Hig's thread: https://intpforum.com/threads/jordan-peterson-to-debate-slavoj-ziziek.27676/

The title says what it's about (not click-bait). She provides the link (although pay-walled), but then provides context by providing her thoughts on this other fellow Slavoj (who I also haven't heard of).

Now don't get me wrong, I didn't care about Hig's thread either. I don't like Jordan Peterson. But in her case I received enough context to know I wasn't interested. She placed little burden on the reader.

So now, I'm going to watch your seven minutes and I'll tell you what I think:
  1. Dave Rubin is even worse than JP... Who likes this guy? Even conservatives don't respect him.
  2. Okay so JP is going to give his heavily political opinions while also pretending to not be political.
  3. Agreed there's a lack of trust in government.
  4. Not sure what he's talking about with ushering in the surveillance state. Regulation of corrupt institutions != surveillance state.
  5. Seems to be pushing personal responsibility, but this is difficult given just how little power individuals have to enact change at a national level. The people who are politically engaged are likely already the ones taking their share of personal responsibility.

Seven minutes over. Which bit of this did you want to share? I'm guessing #5?

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
@QuickTwist I only commented as my impression is that hado has talked about similar things in the past and that you might receive his comment as critical rather than constructive. Whereas I'd hope you'd perceive me as neutral and not looking to criticise you as we don't have much prior history of disagreement I can remember.

It's just about making it easier for people to increase the chances you get to have the discussion you want. I think you're making assumptions that people will know what you mean which isn't necessarily true. Already from your clarification I know what bit of the video to watch and why you're interested though so thanks for that.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
sounds like they are talking about something specific yet never say what it actually is

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
@QT
Yeah maybe I'm being too confrontational.

Look at this thread, which is one I made when I first started here. I can't remember what I called it (probably something like "must watch!"), but Kuu had to come in and change the name of it because it didn't convey the content. It's not something unique to you, it's just an expectation on forums for the person who makes the thread to make it clear what it's about.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Top Bottom