• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Unskilled and Unaware of It

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 1:47 PM
-->

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 4:47 PM
-->
Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding.
@NoID10ts

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
Yesterday 10:47 PM
-->
I read that a while back. It's fascinating. I think I posted it on my Facebook page.

Of course, ever since I read it, when I get insecure, I think it's because maybe I'm competent, but then I think that if I'm suddenly feeling competent, it's because I'm not. It's a viscous circle.

:storks:

Nick

Frozen Fighter
Local time
Today 6:47 AM
-->
Yes, the Dunning–Kruger effect, ;)
Welcome to a society where everyone likes to think they're 'the man'.

Obligatory biased advice:
tumblr_m4qs8cDTa31r2afjno1_500.jpg

Antediluvian

Capitalist logic collides with external wisdom
Local time
Today 4:47 AM
-->
I'd rather have confidence than competence, if a strict binary choice was offered. I'm not implying that I have the latter. Competence and confidence would be a great combination, though, naturally.

Confidence generates the effect of being a poignant allure.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
I'd rather have confidence than competence.

What, really?!

Can you elaborate further than you originally have?

To me the importance of confidence is generally overstated and unjustly rewarded and competence is often under-recognized and not rewarded appropriately.

Ocofan

Engineer
Local time
-->
I used to think that cold logic was what defined me or rather was an ability I could call upon and that I was given a gift of competence over confidence. Lately I've come across people who grossly overestimate their own abilities/competence/intellect and are unable to realise it. Even if I did fit into this category I would never realise it. Now it's made me depressed to think that the inside voice which I've come to love so much may just be a dull, pretentious twat; which is beginning to sound more and more possible. What am I supposed to do now :S

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
I used to think that cold logic was what defined me or rather was an ability I could call upon and that I was given a gift of competence over confidence. Lately I've come across people who grossly overestimate their own abilities/competence/intellect and are unable to realise it. Even if I did fit into this category I would never realise it. Now it's made me depressed to think that the inside voice which I've come to love so much may just be a dull, pretentious twat; which is beginning to sound more and more possible. What am I supposed to do now :S

One of the key points of the study was that competence in something, as well as the ability to recognize and learn from other's competence - was a hallmark of possessing the meta-cognitive ability to accurately identify your own competence.

Basically competence begets competence, or vice-versa.

The incompetent are unaware of their own incompetence, whereas the competent are unaware of the incompetence of others, partly because of their own bias.

If someone has outstanding grammar, they generally overestimate the grammatical abilities of others. Someone who has poor grammar, not only has poor grammar, but they lack the ability to identify poor grammar in others, so they can't tell whether a paragraph was written by someone skilled or unskilled.

In this, they then grossly overestimate their ability relative to others.

I think that the best way to identify whether your estimates are correct or not, is to assess how you learn from others. Do you often identify competency in others and then apply those techniques to improve your own?

There's also a grey area in activities requiring emotional, intellectual and physical competence. Coaches for example, most likely possess the intellectual competency to be great basketball players - they don't necessarily have the physical or emotional capability to play well or perform physically under pressure.

Antediluvian

Capitalist logic collides with external wisdom
Local time
Today 4:47 AM
-->
What, really?!

Can you elaborate further than you originally have?

To me the importance of confidence is generally overstated and unjustly rewarded and competence is often under-recognized and not rewarded appropriately.

My lizard brain just wants to have fun. All those years wasted in anxiety didn't and don't seem particularly fruitful.

Top Bottom