• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

unprovable beliefs

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:47 AM
-->
do you have any beliefs and ideas that are so far unprovable and unverfiable , which you think is true but cant be prove or disproved

like god exist or the problem of god

or some other beliefs?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 2:47 AM
-->
I see changes around me that make me rethink what is real.

I am in a simulation but of what kind is it?

Tomten

Local time
Today 9:47 AM
-->
1) Logical axioms, such as "p or not p."
2) The universe doesn't just exist in my imagination.
3) We can induce what will be the case in the future by observing what is true in the present and what was true in the past.
4) etc

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
you are not in a simiulation, otherwise you would seem like a ghost to other people, since that implies your non existence. not sure if i am making sense.

Local time
-->
1591058961636.png

Faith and Reason, Ludwig Seitz's allegorical fresco surmounted by a quotation from 'Eterni Patris: 'the splendour of divine truths, by penetrating the soul, helps the intelligence itself', Vatican.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
you are not in a simiulation, otherwise you would seem like a ghost to other people, since that implies your non existence. not sure if i am making sense.

If we are all together we would all seem like ghosts?
I think you all are with me in here, that is not a problem. It makes sense that way.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Local time
-->
Pascales Wager
(Opposed ideas are welcome)
View attachment 5437

PW is accurate
or
PW is inaccurate

belief = infinite gain
nonbelief = infinite gain

Christian universalism is a school of Christian theology focused around the doctrine of universal reconciliation – the view that all human beings will ultimately be "saved" and restored to a right relationship with God. - Wikipedia

I sadly don’t know what « PW » means?

Interesting idea … But to consider all humans will be saved denies the place the hell and the purgatories have if we base on Christianity …. I find interesting the view of Jansenism on this question:

“Jansenism was a theological movement, primarily in France, that emphasized original sin, human depravity, the necessity of divine grace and predestination. This religious trend that developed in the 17th century was inspired by the writings of St.Augustine on grace, formalized in L'Augustinus , a posthumous work by Jansenius, bishop of Ypres, published in 1640. He postulates that the grace of God, necessary for the salvation of the soul, is granted or refused in advance, without the works of the believer, all tainted by original sin, being able to change the fate of his soul.”

(https://croire.la-croix.com/Definitions/Lexique/Salut/Qu-est-ce-que-le-jansenisme ,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jansenism)

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
PW is an acronym for (P)ascals (W)ager

Interesting idea … But to consider all humans will be saved denies the place the hell and the purgatories have if we base on Christianity …. I find interesting the view of Jansenism on this question:

The objection to God in Pascalswager is that we do not know the kind of God to believe in. Why should a God not Bless nonbelief just as much as bless belief? Or that if the God Kali should be believed in just as much as Thore or Zeus.

I know this is your personal belief and do not wish to counter it and dismiss it as wrong. It is perfectly logically correct. Yet I think both views are correct. God can both be a God of punishment and Grace. I just see it as where the dice are placed.

God punishes
God does not punish
(given the kind of God they are)

If you are Christion this may be a problem because most believe in punishment.

The problem with a rational choice is that logic is not the same as empiricism.

Logically we can debate flat earth using only mathematics but the empirical fact is that earth is a spheroid. Logic people always clash with empirical people. (MBTI - Ti vs Te)

Again your logic is perfectly valid, but is it sound? empirically sound. Is this the actual kind of God there is looking over us.

I see the system as one of a torturous system God tries to rescue us from. Hell does not exist as per se but God is on a rescue mission. God has only so few options as to their autonomy to act in this world. When a person dies they enter a mental state. This is Good or Bad. It varies in intensity, it is like a dream. Everything blends together.

That is how I think the afterlife is, as a dream.
This place is also like a dream but stricter rules.

Local time
-->
PW is an acronym for (P)ascals (W)ager

The objection to God in Pascalswager is that we do not know the kind of God to believe in. Why should a God not Bless nonbelief just as much as bless belief? Or that if the God Kali should be believed in just as much as Thore or Zeus.

I know this is your personal belief and do not wish to counter it and dismiss it as wrong. It is perfectly logically correct. Yet I think both views are correct. God can both be a God of punishment and Grace. I just see it as where the dice are placed.

God punishes
God does not punish
(given the kind of God they are)

The problem with a rational choice is that logic is not the same as empiricism.

Logically we can debate flat earth using only mathematics but the empirical fact is that earth is a spheroid. Logic people always clash with empirical people. (MBTI - Ti vs Te)

Again your logic is perfectly valid, but is it sound? empirically sound. Is this the actual kind of God there is looking over us.

I see the system as one of a torturous system God tries to rescue us from. Hell does not exist as per se but God is on a rescue mission. God has only so few options as to their autonomy to act in this world. When a person dies they enter a mental state. This is Good or Bad. It varies in intensity, it is like a dream. Everything blends together.

That is how I think the afterlife is, as a dream.
This place is also like a dream but stricter rules.

Your point of wiew is interessting . I believe in God but I don't have a strong opinion about what name he wears . My principal sources about Gods are philosophy and theology books ,not really a dogm or a religion in particular ,both of my parents are total atheists ,and I was too until recently . I don't have any special religion ,I am free in my faith ,I develloped my spirituality by myself ,without anyone telling me what I should do or not . Logic is what structure what an human think and let him to predict what could happen ,it is for this reason superior to empirical experience because logic is based on future and empirical experience on present . The present refers only to ... the present ,the future on an other hand refers to ... the future but also to the past and present in order to predict what could happen . Your last sentences remind me about the catharism which was a very modern christian movement of the middle age which proned reincarnation and who rejected the notion of Hell because they considered our actual world was the only bad world .

Local time
-->
"Cathar cosmology identified two twin, opposing deities. The first was a good God, portrayed in the New Testament and creator of the spirit, while the second was an evil God, depicted in the Old Testament and creator of matter and the physical world.[20] The latter, often called Rex Mundi ("King of the World"),[21] was identified as the God of Judaism,[20] and was also either conflated with Satan or considered Satan's father, creator or seducer.[5] They solved the problem of evil by stating that the good God's power to do good was limited by the evil God's works and vice versa.[22] All visible matter, including the human body, was created by this Rex Mundi; matter was therefore tainted with sin. Under this view, humans were actually angels seduced by Satan before a war in heaven against the army of Michael, after which they would have been forced to spend an eternity trapped in the evil God's material realm.[5] The Cathars taught that to regain angelic status one had to renounce the material self completely. Until one was prepared to do so, they would be stuck in a cycle of reincarnation, condemned to live on the corrupt Earth.[23] Zoé Oldenbourg compared the Cathars to "Western Buddhists" because she considered that their view of the doctrine of "resurrection" taught by Christ was similar to the Buddhist doctrine of rebirth.[24] "

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
you doubt that only you exist and everyone else and reality is a simulation and a false mirrage, akin to a dream state, that cannot be true otherwise we would not share the same reality

the other arguement for a simulation is that we all live in the same simtulation or some , but that reality is false and not base reality, this could be more valid. this is the same idea as we are fishes inside a fish tank designed by some higher being. i feel this holds more ground.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
i cant prove it but i believe there is some unknown force is influencing us to do something, or" god ", if he exist is some kind of chessplayer playing chess with himself, and we are all his pieces.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Here I am in my house. Little has changed.
But outside many things have changed alot.
Like an (Alternate reality game).

Google maps say's my neighbor house is a physics laboratory.
The day I got out of the hospital I found a list with chapters of quantum physics on it.

I found Martin, an old man. I was trying to find him from my notes before the hospital.

---
The Autobots and Decepticons in the 2009 Lincon Park video disappeared in 2015.

Reality changes. One minute it is one way the next it is another way.

The way I see it: Gumby can walk into any book.

8DBfzea.jpg

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
reincarnation, after we die, do we reincarnate and come back to this world as something else.

Tomten

Local time
-->
you doubt that only you exist and everyone else and reality is a simulation and a false mirrage, akin to a dream state, that cannot be true otherwise we would not share the same reality

I've had a lsd trip where I thought that I was speaking to people. I could see them, hear them, feel them, just as clearly as in my normal state of mind, but it was all in my imagination. How could I possibly know that I'm sharing the same reality with other conscious people, given this? They may just be figments of my imagination. Hence I just assume that reality does exist independently of myself.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
reincarnation, after we die, do we reincarnate and come back to this world as something else.

Could be you reincarnate into a world you can learn from.

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!
A 17-year-old girl dies and reincarnates into her favorite videogame.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
man dies stabbed to death protecting friends, becomes super overpowered slime.

Another theory: You have dreams that no creature has ever had.
You go to the next world as a resolution to internal struggles.
In the dream, you face a new world that is a real place.
You are drifting from dream to dream to dream.

Your dreams become videogames that are super real playing them because they are real places.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:47 PM
-->

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
This is what I think:
reincarnation is real.
Karma is not about punishment and reward.
Karma is about the variance in where you go to next.

So when you have entered a difficult life but have learned more. You go to an easier or harder life depending on what is learned by you.

People do not have difficult lives because of bad karma, instead, a person becomes more awakened by how they lived life to life. "Self-control", less reactivity.

The next life is influenced by this life. Choice is a big factor because of this. Options are available. Like a choice based videogame.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
God I believe is a mass hive consciousness. aware of all conscious beings in the cosmos. Pascals Wager is only negative if God doesn't like you. But it could be that you are part of God and what happens to you God feels. God wants everyone to be well because God feels everyone's suffering. The next question then is how does God influence our world. God penetrates into the future looking for the best option of branching possibilities and nudges it to that occurrence. Prayer then becomes an intention that is shared by God and the recipient.

eggman

Local time
-->

I've had a lsd trip where I thought that I was speaking to people. I could see them, hear them, feel them, just as clearly as in my normal state of mind, but it was all in my imagination. How could I possibly know that I'm sharing the same reality with other conscious people, given this? They may just be figments of my imagination. Hence I just assume that reality does exist independently of myself.
Are you sure that was L.S.D? That’s more commonly a mushroom thing.

Tomten

Local time
-->

Are you sure that was L.S.D? That’s more commonly a mushroom thing.
Yes, but it wasn't an ordinary lsd trip. I had a drug-induced psychosis from taking a very large dose.

kittyfranklin

Local time
Today 4:47 AM
-->
To believe in God is a rational choice .

I agree

Why should a God not Bless nonbelief just as much as bless belief?

If I created a table, and deep down the table knows I created it, but the table said to me (and/or everyone around it) "Kittyfranklin didn't create me!" how would that make me feel? It is simply not true. I did create the table and the table knows it.

If someone procreates, and the child (who, deep down, knows that person created them) says, "You are not my parent!" How would that make them feel? It's not true. That person is the child's parent.

A child who accepts their parent as their parent will definitely get more "credit" than a child who rejects their parent.

God can both be a God of punishment and Grace.

I am a Christian and I do not believe God is a God of punishment. I believe God has given us free will. Look around. Why would there be evil if there was not free will? If God was to stop people from doing evil, they would not have free will. We would not have the free will to choose love. We would not have the free will to choose Him. We would be robots.

Therefore, the choice in this matter would be to choose God or separation from God (which is equivalent to torture). God has "prepared a place" for people who don't want to be with Him. That is what hell is. We are the ones who get to choose where we go. That's the beauty of it! It is not punishment. God gives us what we choose. We choose if we will have eternity with God (which, if Christian, we believe God is our lifesource) or eternity away from God (i.e. eternal death and torture).

These are my beliefs of course, and everyone has a right to their own belieds, but I have thought them through for myself. If anyone has any questions or wants to try to throw something my way that I have not thought of, I welcome it. I am constantly questioning whether God exists, whether Jesus is "the way," etc. and then I come back to what makes the most sense to me with all my investigating, analyzing, putting puzzle pieces together, etc.

I don't think it can be proven, but I cannot find enough evidence against it. I also don't think anything can be proven. I'm very skeptical.

I also typically make most decisions based on what will carry the least amount of risk. Believing in the Christian God seems to carry the most amount of rational evidence and the least amount of risk, as opposed to other versions of God, or atheism.

I don't care whether the earth is flat or round (which is why I don't research it). The earth's shape does not change where I will end up. And even though I do choose to believe the earth is a sphere that rotates around the sun, I'm not going to just believe 100% what people say, including experts, scientists, etc. People can lie you know, lol! But I believe it enough for now because there is a consensus, and to me, when I look out over the ocean, it looks a bit curved quite frankly. But do I know that there is a possibility we have all been duped? Sure, why not? There are tons of things we've been duped about and we are currently being duped about.

If you've thought enough about something, belief is a choice. If you haven't thought much of it, you will be told what to believe and you will just follow that. So I suppose it's also a choice to simply believe what you're told.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
A child who accepts their parent as their parent will definitely get more "credit" than a child who rejects their parent.

All I was saying was that it is dependent on God's nature what God finds acceptable. The point is that there is a possibility that its nature finds nonbelief most acceptable. We do not really know what God is like to make a wager, pascals wager is thus questionable.

kittyfranklin

Local time
-->

All I was saying was that it is dependent on God's nature what God finds acceptable. The point is that there is a possibility that its nature finds nonbelief most acceptable. We do not really know what God is like to make a wager, pascals wager is thus questionable.

Yes, definitely, everyone can have their own thoughts with what they think God is like, I'm just sharing why it could possibly be that perhaps God might favor belief.

Drvladivostok

Daydreamer.
Local time
Today 3:47 PM
-->

Hmm I also based my believe in the wager but I have to admit Pascal's Wager doesn't really take into account which religion is the right one, just believing in a god don't qualify as a rational decision unless you believe that increasing your probability of going to heaven by 0,00.. something percent is a good bet, there's like a over 4,000 religions in the world, but then again perhaps better it's than nothing? But I think this argument is highly flawed even then.
This argument also assumes that each religion have the same merit and probability for reflecting the truth, and other religions simply doesn't have the hypothetical structure that is consistent with the wager (You disbelieve you go to hell, ie; Buddhism, Hinduism, Greek Polytheism) so perhaps we need to formulate a new theoretical framework for the wager; since the wager's main objective is to increase the probability of someone going to heaven and avoiding hell we should do that but removing the flaws as mentioned above.

It should take into account which religion to chose from; the model of religions that is consistent with wager is that of Christianity, so a religion that doesn't have punishment for disbeliever is out of the window, (I suspects the majority of religions), the rest then should be cross-examined using logic, the ones that have the most contradiction and doesn't reflect the truth (Some religions like to make prophecies and claims) would be knocked-down in a list-based system; the higher the religion the higher it is to be likely true.

Therefore we can make an optimal framework for the highest possibility of sending people to heaven (If it exists).

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
New theory. There is only one God to believe in. Pure unadulterated Love. If that is the case you will get the result of heaven. If not there really is not much to live for. Unbelief is not so much a rejection of love but ignorance and at worst a cynicism of Love. So two options really exist, God's love or darkness. That is if we give God the definition of being Love.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 10:47 AM
-->
Ultimately, all belief is unprovable. That is the prime ingredient for belief.

I believe I am human, many indicators say i am human yet is still possible for me not to be human. Due to the current unknowability of ultimate truth, realities in which i am not human can not be discounted.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
All things can be doubted. What is left is based on personal experience. God is real because I experienced God. Or God is not real because I have not experienced God. Everything falls into subjectivity with no objective way out. Descartes evil demon.

kittyfranklin

Local time
-->
Ultimately, all belief is unprovable. That is the prime ingredient for belief.

I believe I am human, many indicators say i am human yet is still possible for me not to be human. Due to the current unknowability of ultimate truth, realities in which i am not human can not be discounted.

You speak my language. We think alike.

kittyfranklin

Local time
-->
God is real because I experienced God. Or God is not real because I have not experienced God.

I think this is the reason people believe in or don't believe in God. But also, people who do not believe in God might have experienced God without knowing or acknowledging it, and people who do believe in God might have experienced something that they thought was God but maybe it wasn't???

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
I think this is the reason people believe in or don't believe in God. But also, people who do not believe in God might have experienced God without knowing or acknowledging it, and people who do believe in God might have experienced something that they thought was God but maybe it wasn't???

I am sure you can question your experience but sometimes you have to just take it as is. I do not know for sure is anything is real. I know that I experience it real and for what it's worth I just go by my rational function. What I know and what I don't. I test things. But sometimes I go on my feelings. It depends because it is an intuition. Things just seem a certain way that's different.

I'd say that if you think you experienced God look at that experience and ask if God is truly in it. Some things are just coincidences but other things are too big to ignore.

kittyfranklin

Local time
-->
I am sure you can question your experience but sometimes you have to just take it as is.

I believe in God and I feel I have experienced God, but I think some people might experience God and not know it.

Top Bottom