• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

Trying to figure out my type (and failing)

lonewolf

INFP
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:32
Random facts:

Whenever I see an airplane in the sky, I wish I were on it. I don't really have a specific destination where I'd like to go, so I don't know why this happens. It could be because I love airports, flying and travelling, or because when I was eight I went with my family to the US by plane (11+ hours from here with two intermediate stops, so two airports (maybe that's also why I like airports)) and I enjoyed that holiday, so now I have a tendency to think that airplanes=nice holiday. It could also be that I just want to go away from here, which would make sense since I'm a teenager and that's what teenagers do. I don't think this is a useful information, but I felt like writing it anyway.

Speaking (typing) of not knowing why things happen, I sometimes stop whatever I'm (not) doing and realise that I'm very excited, anxious or... this feeling I get once in a while... I'm not sure if it's sadness or something else. Anyway, When I it happens, I don't remember/know why I'm feeling that way.

I wish I could reset my mind and go back to when I knew nothing about MBTI, so that I could take a test and the probability I would answer honestly would be much higher than now. The problem I have with tests is that I usually either think I'm interpreting the questions in a wrong way, or think that I'manswering how the person I'd like to be would answer.

A major diference between me and my ESJ mother, my ESJ teacher and my ISTJ granfather is that while they're quick to judge the points of view of people they don't agree with, most of the time (some rare exceptions with the nazi-skinheads) I'm unbiased and accept that anything could be true or have something interesting in it. Because of this people often think I'm naive.

I'm quick to correct grammar mistakes, and grammar was one of my favourite subjects.

I write very short essays and my teacher always tells me that although I can say a lot writing a little (now I'm doing the opposite, I know), I should write more.

I question my SJ parents' behaviour because it makes no sense to me. I don't like always having to eat a main course, then something else, then the vedgetables and then fruit. I don't like the fact that the table must be perfect before a meal and that no one can go away from the table until everyone has finished eating. I mean, it's just a f*ckin' meal, we eat to survive, ok? I wouldn't even lay the table and I would stop eating when I'm not hungry anymore, what's the point of forcing me to eat till the dish is empty if I'm about to throw up? And, most importantly, I would eat alone. Then again, I don't know if it's important because it could just be normal for a teenager to feel this way.

I love computers and science fiction. My love for sci-fi is genuine, and probably (98%) my love for computer too, but it could just be that I'm trying to fit the INTP stereotype, so I don't really know. I also like disassembling mobile phones.

I hate sports, apart from skiing and climbing, which I'm not good at, and physical activities in general. One thing I hate even more is getting my hands dirty, in a non-metaphorical sense. Another thing I hate even more is team games, both because I don't like that the the players depend on eachother and because I hate working with others. Also because I'm usually left out, but that's entirely my fault.

When I try to explain an idea, a wreckage of words and half sentences come out of my mouth.

I spend a lot of time on my computer researching things that have nothing to do with what I should be studying for school just because I like discovering new things. Wikipedia, HowStuffWorks, YouTube... Once I was waching a video by Veritasium (if you don't know it, I highly recommend it, even if you probably already know everything he talks about), and at the end I found myself with a face like the puking rainbows meme.

My first result in a test was INTJ, but I started doubting it when I read a description and my conclusion was that I was INTP instead. Then I went to an amusement park and I really liked the rollercoasters, so I thought I was an ISTP, but I don't like physical activities and I have slow reflexes (not saying that Ns have slow reflexes), like usually when someone throws a ball at me it takes a while to establish a contact with reality, and as a result I have a sudden (and often too late) reaction that makes me look like a witch hit with some garlic. Basically, I have no Se. I'm not even thrill-seeking or anything. Then I started "what-if"-ing about other types, for example : INFP, ISFP (but Fi can't be my dominant function, unless I have an EXTREMELY underdeveloped dominant function, which I don't believe is possible), ESTP, ENFP, ENTP, INFJ, even ISTJ and ISFJ... And here's another thing about me: I'm never sure about anything and have to consider all the possibilities ("never" and "anything" are probably approximations).

I answered the questionnaire on PerC and someone said I was an INTJ. I KNEW I wasn't, but I had to reanalyse all my functions and behaviours to make up my mind, and it took me three weeks, and I still have some doubts even though I know that I'm far from being INTJ. I'm not Ni-dom: I don't experience the "knowing without knowing why" Ni thing, I'm not decisive, I don't get stuck on an opinion/theory, in fact I'm very flexible, maybe too much, and even after I make a decision, I will woryy it wasn't the best one. For example, I remained without a decent mobile for more thatthree months because I had to find the best one at the lowest price possible (<150E). Once I found one in a store, so I got home, read all the specs on the internet, watched all the video-reviews I could find and, when a week later I decided to buy it, the offer had already ended. So I had to start again looking. Oh, I didn't spend all that week doing that, obviously. I wasn't too obsessed. (I'm also not Fi-tert. Fe-inf is more likely).

I'm the most introverted human being I've ever seen, but still, what if I'm secretly an extrovert who behaves like a hardcore introvert because she subconsciously believes it's cooler, or maybe I'm an extrovert that doesn't like socializing with humans, maybe if I went to a planet where there are aliens I would show my inner extroversion. Even if I don't know the language, assuming they have one.

A part of me still thinks I'm a sensor rather then an intuitive, even if all "evidence" suggests that I'm not. The thing is, I actually CAN stop thinking.

According to the tests, I'm a socionics INTj.

Oh God, it's long. I'm sorry.

Anktark

of the swarm
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:32
Oh God, it's long. I'm sorry.
Don't apologize for long posts as long as they are informative (at least on this forum). I think most of us understand how "oops, I wrote an essay" happens.

You strike me as a likely INTP. It seems the dominant INTP functions are there and things you mentioned fit the profile as well (apart from hating sports- I think INTPs are just indifferent as long as they are not forced to participate. Even then it's not the sport they are hating).

I'm the most introverted human being I've ever seen,
When you think about it, it doesn't make you an expert in the area :)

One of the features of being INTP is that you will probably never be sure you are an INTP. I like this idea, because it creates a recursive situation with continuously lowering additional chance of being an INTP which the total sum of never quite gets to 100%.

I suggest checking these sites (if you haven't already), might be useful/relevant:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/the-nt-rationale/57803-intj-versus-intp-writing-styles.html
https://type-coach.com/types/intp
http://www.intp.org/intprofile.html

http://arendeepsyche.com/?page_id=473 - to quote a sentence from there: "Whether you know it or not, INTPs will judge you as an organism on the earth, and whether or not this organism is capable of compiling a rational argument."

lonewolf

INFP
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:32
I think INTPs are just indifferent as long as they are not forced to participate. Even then it's not the sport they are hating).
I've been forced to play basketball, volleyball, tennis, to go swimming... That's mainly the reason. I'd say I don't mind sports as long as I can practice them alone and I do it because I want to. But it doesn't happen often. So yeah.

One of the features of being INTP is that you will probably never be sure you are an INTP.
Is that Ne?

Anyway, thanks. It was really helpful :elephant:

Anktark

of the swarm
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:32
Is that Ne?/QUOTE]

Ne gets most of the blame for it (I say that because cognitive functions don't work alone/as separate agents)- that's the function looking for new connections and possibilities. One of those possibilities is that we are not INTPs. Then Ti comes in to form a loop and so begins "what is an INTP? I want (read "will be obsessed") to know more".

Top Bottom