• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Translations --- Languages Available

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
Today 7:19 PM
-->
As well as restoring the grand old member map so beloved on vbull --- except this, like most things on earth is Google, and there are no member markers to be seen yet, and it is not a view of the entire globe, with little lights as before --- to be found under Members on the top navbar, a number of XenForo 2 translations have been added to the Language Switcher at the base next to the Theme Switcher.

These only apply to the main site. No translation add ons are installed for add ons or additions.
Being no linguist I confess, I've no knowledge of how good these are or how useful.

So far:

Finnish

Russian

Ukrainian

Polish

Danish ( partial )

Dutch / Netherlands

Italian

Romanian

Serbian - Cyrillic or Latin

Turkish

Arabian

Chinese / Mandarin

Now added:

Spanish

However: one installs these as xml files in the admin: appearance/languages ( just as anti-spam goes under admin: users/banned emails. Neither going in the central add ons section, which by the by no longer accepts direct xml imports as was normal before ). This is non-intuitive...

Anyway, the great translation add on makers, having only an xml file to push, send that as download;
the good ones wrap it up in a zip;
the others commit it to Github, or something like it, which means hunting for a download, since one doesn't want to clone it to one's computer;
the more cumbersome --- I'm looking at you, France, require one to register oneself on their own site, send confirmation email, and then have the download unavailable; or, Spain, require one to Telegram chat to them and receive it later.

Telegram is a messenger thing, rather like Yahoo! Messenger before Yahoo! chose the self-destruct button.

Really the Language Switcher and the Theme Switcher should be at the very top, instant to the eye... Looks like carelessness by forum-makers everywhere.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 12:19 PM
-->
I'm certain a google maps iframe can be forced to zoom out to show the whole globe.
And it shouldn't be too hard to move the style / language choosers to the header somewhere.

I'll try to look into it this weekend, along with fixing the theme discrepancies of new elements like the hideous cookie message.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
K. However the Cookie add-on is only there as a stop-gap until a better comes along; just to get it there before 25th of May. If you prefer another that can be installed. Any other. So long as there's something.

Of course, the GDPR police aren't going to come after us anyway, we were able to evade their fearful Cookie minions for the previous [ ridiculous ] law, but at least we can point to it and say: "À votre service mesdames !"

The most useful XenForo overview for GDPR is Slavik's Pocket guide. He also produces a paid add on for GDPR.

And going to get those URLs showed an alert saying the Arabic Translation installed yesterday needs updating...

If the Style/Language links could be moved that would be great. And make us the only sensible forum on the internet...

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Ah, I've also experimented with this add on, that highlights threads the logged in user has participated in:

SC

To avoid outrage it is more a pale dove grey right now; but if people want it could be different. There a colour picker...

And to continue a theme: the settings are under each Style> style properties. THere seems a conspiracy not to centralize add ons in one place. Maybe from the American fear of all powerful government.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Now added, Spanish, courtesy of the author, Flare.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Stop-gap Cookie Banner and Thread Highlighter have now been brought to conform with Dark Castle. I also fixed the map zoom, though unfortunately the plugin is coded with the basic google infoWindow which is not styleable unlike other google map overlays, an unfortunate code choice.

:musketeers:

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Thank you; that looks very good.

And more thanks for the map.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Due to privacy concerns, map pop-ups have been removed. Now pins are anonymous.

Top Bottom