• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Top five favorite movies

tom

sihadiya
Local time
Today 8:51 AM
-->
1. Brazil
2. The Fifth Element
3. Life of Brian :)
4. Ghost in the Shell
5. Clueless :o

RobertJ

Local time
Today 3:51 AM
-->
5. The Pacifier
4. Pitch Black
3. XXX
2. Babylon A.D.
1. Chronicles of Riddick

DynamicMind

Local time
Today 4:51 AM
-->
1. The Princess Bride
2. Sweet Home Alabama (usually that sort of movie doesn't make my favorites, but I'm from the south...)
3. Mystery Men
4. Lord Of The Rings
5. The Core

Venture

Banned
Local time
Today 1:51 AM
-->
1. Star Wars Episode IV
2. Scarface---------------------------Non predictible ending
3. No Old Mans Country
4. Cast away
5. Into the Wild

mikal

Local time
Today 9:51 AM
-->
1. eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
2. the fall
3. taxi driver
4. when will I be loved
5. code 46

+ the dreamers, wristcutters, clockwork orange, movies by ingmar bergman and gus van sant..

Carnap

Local time
-->
Most movies are too stimulating and obnoxious to me, but I do like The Elephant Man, from David Lynch.

Insanity

Local time
-->
What? No Beverly Hills Chihuahua? :p

Okay so top 5 is pretty difficult since people have already noted so many great movies like Fight Club, American History X, Matrix, Gladiator and Shawshank Redemption. So I'll try and add a couple new ones.

- Sixth Sense (I'm a sucker for good twists and 9/10 I guess them...this one I did not.)
- Back to the Future (Love these movies since I was a kid and still want to take a DeLorean 88MPH)
- Grave of the Fireflies (It's an anime, but what a story!)
- The Butterfly Effect (I love this movies premise. The original ending, not the one in the theater, is fantastic...but of course they had to change it for those too sensitive)
- Notorious (It's an oldie but I'm a major Cary Grant fan and always enjoyed Alphred Hitchcock's movies)

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->
- Sixth Sense (I'm a sucker for good twists and 9/10 I guess them...this one I did not.)

I did guess the plot twist, but I wish I hadn't :( Had I not, my mind might have been blown.

mikal

Local time
-->
Most movies are too stimulating and obnoxious to me, but I do like The Elephant Man, from David Lynch.

I saw this movie about week ago and it was heavy and tensed in the way I can't explain. Something like reading Sartre's Nausea.

But yeah, it's Lynch! Lost highway caused the same feeling.

The Fury

is licking himself.
Local time
-->
1) Cinema Paradiso
2) Spirited Away
3) Persepolis
4) Life of Brian
5) Die Hard

pussinboots

Local time
-->
stalker (the mirror and solaris also by tarkovsky)
two or three things i know about her (nearly anything by godard)
rashomon (kurosawa)
irreversible (noe)
teorema (pasolini)

oldboy
la haine
streetcar named desire
amores perros
swimming pool and under the sand
metropolis
the elephant man
pather patchali

and it goes on..........

boomkablamo

Local time
-->
In no particular order...

1. Fight Club The thought inducing plot had me watching this one over and over.

2. The Matrix Has actually caused me to have some pretty intense realizations about my own reality

3. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist I was like 11 when this came out and I still think it is one of the funniest movies in existence. Call me immature all you want.

4. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Drugs, drugs, and more drugs. What else can you ask for?

5. Blow Drugs, drugs, and... emotions?

Nocturna

Local time
-->
I have three movie posters in my office:

The Crow - definitely the movie I've watched more times in my life, love the dark settings, the overall mood. I just find it aesthetically beautiful.
V for Vendetta - like the message, that ideas are stronger than dictatorships, actually like it more than the GN (it's blasphemy, I know)
Advent Children - someone described it as a visual orgasm and I agree. Being a big Final fantasy fan I don't even care if the story's week. What story?? It's gorgeous and that's enough.

Other movies I love: the Lord of the rings trilogy, Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now, La Haine, Breaking the waves, Watchemen, etc... I think I'm strangely eccletic when it comes to movies and my favourites fall into three main categories, the aesthetically pleasing, the food for thought and the entertaining adventures.

drumir93

Local time
-->
1.Sleepy Hollow
2.The Dark Knight
3.Young Frankenstein(though I also love Spaceballs)
4.A Hard Days Night
5.Jui Kuen II AKA "Legend of Drunken Master"

merzbau

Local time
Today 7:51 PM
-->
night of the living dead
even though it was released in 1968, night is still unequalled in its gripping realism and bleak atmosphere. one of the few horror films i've seen that manages to transcend age, budget constraints, and genre convention. very seldom are films this finely crafted; even though colour film was available at the time, romero decided to shoot in black and white to add a stark chiaroscuro character that amplifies the surreal sense of dread.
the story begins when a woman escapes from a crazed assault, only to find herself trapped in a remote farmhouse, with a group of survivors who are shocked to discover the bodies of the recently deceased have been awakening and eating the living. but is the real enemy outside or inside? alone and cornered, in a world turned upside down, hope of rescue fades, the enormity of the situation sets in, and inner tensions tear the group apart. the ending still has the ability to shock all these years later.

the thing
another tale of claustrophobia and the breakdown of a group of individuals. on the surface, it's a simple whodunnit with a monster thrown in, but underneath, the story revolves around the psychological implications of isolation, paranoia, and our inability to acknowledge the shadow that lurks deep within. combine with bodily trauma, infected blood, the cold antarctic climate and global apocalypse.. and you've got one bleak film.

escape from alcatraz
on paper, escape seems pretty boring. indeed, not a lot happens for long stretches and dialogue is sparse, but this is really it's strength - it's thick with atmosphere and tension, especially the night scenes where the escape is hatched slowly, piece by piece, under the nose of watchful guards. the atmosphere is aided immensely by jerry fielding's masterly score which sits ominously in the background, lightly colouring perception of the visuals. in fact, the whole film is an excellent "background" to soak in while reading or working.

nil by mouth
ray winstone plays a small-time crook in south london. it's a grim lifestyle; poorly cut drugs, cheap booze and violence are the few escapes from the drudgery of inner-city life. in its darkest moments, it grabs you by the throat and shakes you until your teeth rattle. the unflinching scenes of domestic abuse are an example of how visceral film can get. but it's also quite amusing at times; oldman blends the unpleasant with the humourous, giving a more balanced perspective on the characters, which keeps it from becoming totally despondant.
there is no pretense here, no false drama, it's raw as an asphalt burn on skin. but the realism serves to accentuate the story; a meditation on the cycle of abuse and the incongruency between families who turn on each other and those that support each other in the day to day trials of their existence.

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->
I need to update my favorites.

Harold and Maude
My Life Without Me
Ma Vie En Rose
3-Iron
Wristcutters: A Love Story

Others.. Songs from the Second Floor, Persona, Amelie, Once, En Soap, Millenium Actress, Tekkon Kinkreet, Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring, What Dreams May Come, Eulogy, Numb, Waking Life, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, Pleasantville, Dark City, XXY, Blazing Saddles, Boys Don't Cry, The Motorcycle Diaries, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Princess Bride, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, 5cm Per Second, The Dog of Flanders(anime).

brain enclosed in flesh

Local time
Today 2:51 AM
-->
This is completely impossible for me but here's some that spring to mind...

Tirer sur le pianiste/ les quatre cents coups (Truffaut!)
Howards End (one of the best film adaptations of an equally stellar book)
Pee Wee's Big Adventure (no need to explain...)
An American in Paris/ Singin' in the Rain (Gene Kelly makes me ridiculously happy)
anything by the Cohen brothers (esp O Brother Where Art Thou?)

Citizen X

Local time
-->
There are plenty of movies, so it's difficult to make this list, but off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

-Memento
-Pi
-Taxi Driver
-El laberinto del fauno / Pan's Labyrinth

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
Howl's Moving Castle
Battle Royale
Kill Bill vol 1&2
Suicide Circle
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

motrhead

Local time
-->
This I can't resist, but just five won't cut it. The first six are "must see" movies for me. I really like most of the movies by Wim Wenders, Hayao Miyazaki (Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away are excellent), and Pedro Almodavar.

The List:

Wings of Desire
What Dreams May Come
So I Married An Axe Murderer
My Neighbour Totoro
They Live
Cry Freedom
Far Away So Close
Silverado
I Heart Huckabees
The Island
Agata and the Storm
Run Lola Run
The Pink Panther
Goldfinger
Hero
Seven Years In Tibet
- I read the novel many years ago, and it's an incredible story. The plot of the movie is weak compared to the book, but Brad tries hard. Still good.

Other Weirdness I Like: Huevos de oro, Matador (1986 Almodovar), Montenegro, The Motorcycle Diaries, Dune, The Fifth Element

fatalbeliever

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:51 PM
-->
1. Eraserhead. My absolute favorite.
2. A Clockwork Orange.
3. Dolls [by Takeshi Kitano]
4. Zeitgeist and The Obama Deception. They're very much alike, so I'll just put both of them on #4. I have to say, they're fun to watch. The Illuminati sounded stupid, but I liked these two.
5. Requiem for a Dream [not 100%, though - The Spun is a better junkie flick, but Requiem is a lot more tragic, and I'm a bit of a sucker for tragedies...]

Wow... I think this list is actually good.

nickgray

Local time
Today 12:51 PM
-->
In no particular order:

Stalker
Kin-Dza-Dza
Apocalypse Now
Pisma Myortvogo Cheloveka (Letters of a Dead Man)
Twelve Monkeys
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

oh... six :phear: well, doesn't matter much, does it?

Eef

Your Mom
Local time
-->
Top 1 - Star Wars (Original Trilogy) I'm a geek for this good shit.
Top 2 - LOTR
Top 3 - Clockwork Orange (Though it may seem half truth and half lies to some)
Top 4 - Big Fish
Top 5 - Stranger than Fiction (it was strange, indeed)

I have much more, consisting of horror movies o: but oh well.

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
Duma - I'd also like to drive a motorcycle across Southern Africa with a cheetah in the sidecar, and in doing so, learn something about myself, nature, relationships, whoaaaa
City of God - like knowing that places such as this still exist, keeps things interesting.
Heat - it's a great movie and all that, but the shootout post bank-robbery is life-affirming/Val Kilmer
The Great Escape
Bottle Rocket - romanticized crime in a way I hadn't seen before, really liked that about it.

I don't even know if I like these movies, they just happened to come to mind whilst [<- what a pompous jerk] pondering the topic

* Please note creative use of color to expedite/facilitate reading for viewer.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->
I can no longer stand by my old list at all, and I have seen a lot of great movies since, so here's a new list:

Synecdoche, New York (all-time favourite)
Ichi the Killer
Blinkende Lygter
Ed Wood
(currently unsure about what my fifth pick would be. Candidates are Visitor Q, Videodrome, Dogville, Pusher 1&2, Pulse, a few more...)

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:51 PM
-->
2001 Space Odyssey
Talk to her
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Pride and Prejudice
Three Colours, Blue, White and Red

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
Also: Amazing Stories: The Mission and The Rocketeer - absolutely love both of these movies, The Madeline television series and Raymond Briggs' The Snowman as well.

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
I would make a definitive list, but it wouldn't be definitive because I'd think of another five moments later. So here are some of my favourites:

Kamikaze Girls
Oldboy
Princess Mononoke
The Silence of the Lambs
The Fox and the Hound
Blazing Saddles
Forrest Gump
Life is Beautiful

Earendel

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Impossible to put them in any order, but here they are:

-2001: A Space Odyssey
It gives my brain a lot to play around with.

-The Big Lebowski
Probably the most enjoyable film (aside from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure) I have ever seen.

-Lost in Translation
Not gonna lie, I identify with Charlotte.

-Anything by Jean-Luc Godard.
I can't pick just one. They're all so weird and wonderful.

-Pan's Labyrinth
Beautiful and strange and mythic and modern.

Wish

Wellington
Local time
-->
Donnie Darko (:o I wonder why so many people here enjoy this when very few people I know have even heard of it)

Metropolis (Metoroporisu - 2001) (An anime loosely based on the 1927 film - very good art direction and thought provoking)

Taxi Driver (Probably had the most significant effect on me of any film I've yet seen)

The Thin Red Line (Incredibly deep war movie, up there with Apocalypse Now)

V for Vendetta (I'm under the impression that a lot of people don't like this that much, however I think there lies a vast amount of unseen beauty in this film)

Others...

Citizen Kane
Romeo + Juliet
A Clockwork Orange
Blood Diamond
Good Will Hunting
Gladiator
Lost in Translation
Requiem for a Dream
Goodfellas

...there are definitely more but like others I fear this list would go on forever

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
-->
Michael Clayton
V for Vendetta
Gladiator
The Matrix
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->
I just watched Memento. Holy shit mind fuck. Probably the best of those kind of movies that I've seen. Makes me feel like I could go insane thinking about it :eek: That movie was incredibly well done.

-Gladiator
-Braveheart (I guess I like one man vs the world movies)
-Scorched (I don't know why but this movie stuck to me, about 3 groups of people who simultaneously rob the same bank)
-Saw I (the ending blew my mind, any of the sequels just don't compare)
-Surrogates (transhumanism movie, yes please)
-Live Free or Die Hard (quality action movie.... with a storyline *gasp*)
-Crank (entertaining)
-Snatch (plain good movie)
-The International (one of the most suspenseful movies I have seen)

tashi

Local time
-->
This is really in no particular order:
-Donnie Darko
-Harold and Maude
-Fight Club
-Spirited Away
-Wristcutters:a love story
-Silence of the Lambs
-Pans Labyrinth
-Gattaca
-Sleepy Hollow
Wow, every single one of them has been listed, and most of them, multiple times =p
There seems to be reoccuring themes here.

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
I may have to add "Moon" with Sam Rockwell to my list. I watched it last night and again tonight and I really enjoyed it. It's old school sci-fi that has obviously been inspired by movies like 2001 (Complete with AI voiced by Kevin Spacey), Alien, Silent Runnings, Bladerunner, etc, but it manages to play off of those influences and make something really original. They even resisted the urge to CGI the shit out of everything. They used models and real live sets and it was filmed on a very low budget!

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
Fight Club
Princess Mononoke/Spirited Away/Nausicaa/Castle in the Sky/Howl's Moving Castle/The Cat Returns/Kiki's Delivery Service (all equally good movies by Studio Ghibli)
V for Vendetta
Memoirs of a Geisha

@Noddy:
My sister was watching "Moon" a few nights ago. She was in the room with me, so I listened to the whole thing (didn't watch it though, I had homework. >< ) It had an interesting story. . .definitely something I want to sit down and actually watch.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->
I may have to add "Moon" with Sam Rockwell to my list. I watched it last night and again tonight and I really enjoyed it. It's old school sci-fi that has obviously been inspired by movies like 2001 (Complete with AI voiced by Kevin Spacey), Alien, Silent Runnings, Bladerunner, etc, but it manages to play off of those influences and make something really original. They even resisted the urge to CGI the shit out of everything. They used models and real live sets and it was filmed on a very low budget!

I found Moon good but not great. I felt like I had seen it all before in some form and another and I managed to predict most of the plot. On the plus side, Clint Mansell soundtrack <3

JohnnyBravo

Newbie S***
Local time
-->
I thought I'd resurrect this one because, after reading through the whole thing, I was surprised that nobody mentioned Boondock Saints. It is the tale of Two brothers tired of seeing good people swallowed up by indifference and allowing evil men to reign. It raises the question of whether it is a greater evil to take advantage of the weak, or to stand by in indifference while evil men ruin the lives of the innocent, and it still manages to be, imho, one of the funnier movies I can remember seeing in the last decade.

Some of my other faves:
Sin City
Fight Club
Natural Born Killers
Trainspotting
Nightmare Before Christmas

My tastes in movies are ever changing, but these are some of the ones I could watch over and over and not grow tired of ... ever.

EDIT: My I said evil alot in that first paragraph.

reprographist

Emilynd
Local time
-->
So hard to pick just five ><
In no particular order:

City of God
A Scanner Darkly
Shall we Dance (W/ Fred Astaire)
Harry Potters
Waking Life

Alice?

Local time
-->
In no particular order:
The Princess Bride
American Beauty
The Core
Apollo 13
Watchmen
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Lord of the Rings Trilogy!
And yes, I am aware that is more than 5... I couldn't choose :rolleyes:

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
I jub watch Closer, was pribadah ibbabresting...pribadah ibbabresting. I binkabike it, billbritebasoon beh binal boughts, etc.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
I just realized that I never posted here. How odd.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (read: everything that Kubrick has ever done)
2. Brazil
3. Casablanca
4. Bladerunner
5. Fight Club
6. Stalker
7. Barton Fink
8. No Country For Old Men
9. The Maltese Falcon
10. There Will Be Blood

Logos

Formerly Electric Wizard
Local time
-->
V for vendetta
Fight Club
I am Legend
Lord of The Rings
A Clockwork Orange

But check this out, could the person that made this possibly be an INTP?
YouTube- Skhizein

Alexk

Local time
-->
Requiem for a Dream
Fight Club
Garden State
Gladiator
Forrest Gump

Not necessarily in that order.

Top Bottom