• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Top five favorite movies

key

Redshirt
Local time
Today 11:16 AM
-->
Kaze no tani no Naushika
Donnie Darko
Mulholland Drive
Indiana Jones movies
Serenity (but of course coming from the Firefly series)

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
Today 10:16 AM
-->
1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly- just epic I've loved spaghetti westerns since I was little :)
2. The Shawshank Redemption
3. Watership Down
4. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
5. Thinner/ Misery- A few Stephen King flicks, I couldn't pick between them.

nim

starquaker.
Local time
Today 6:16 AM
-->
Could the Five Doctors could as five?

:confused:

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
Today 9:16 PM
-->
Gladiator, LOTR, Memento, Children of Men, Fight Club

I just have to list some of my other favourites though: V for Vendetta, Spy Game, The Thing, The Pianist, Dr Strangelove, The Prestige, The Life of Brian, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, The Silence of the Lambs, Pan's Labyrinth, The Matrix (1), Before Sunrise, Shrek (1), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, ahh I better stop now.

chick

reckless
Local time
-->
It's kinda hard to pick and match each with an exact favour, so Im taking list of movies without ranking.

# Love letter (1995) by Shunji Iwai
# Farewell my concubine - Cannes 1992
# Crouching tiger hidden dragon
# Spring summer fall winter
# Heroes (2002)
# Ashes of time by Wong Kar Wai
# In the mood for love
# Definitely, maybe
# The matrix trilogy
# Gattaca - best sci-fi I've ever watched.
# Forrest Gump
# All Studio Ghibli 's works
# Alfie - the Jude Law version. Sometimes I dont know how, I watched it over and over and felt pratically sad.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:16 AM
-->
Stroszek
Taxi Driver
The Shining
Blue Velvet
The Godfather

I tried to equally represent my favorite directors...that was not very easy. Not easy tat all. I could have easily made 80% of the films Kubrick (2001, Clockwork Orange, FMJ, etc.).

Toon Scheur

Redshirt
Local time
Today 7:16 AM
-->
It must be an INTP thing. about 90% of the movies that you guys mentions here I agree with. I sense a Fight Club recurring theme?
OK, my top 5:

1. FIGHT CLUB!!!
2. The Matrix
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Good Will Hunting
5. Memento

Damn, I have a very long list but those are the one I'm glad I was born in the right period to experience them. My dear list includes also Good the Bad and the Ugly (could easily have been the Godfather part 2, or Scarface or Donnie Darko or Jaws or Scent of a woman or Alien or Spirited away or Akira or Ghost in a Shell, Devil's advocate, Raging Bull, The Hill (yep, the one with Sean Connery), Lawrence of Arabia, Midnight Express, 12 Monkeys, Excalibur, Indiana Jones: Raiders of the lost ark, Empire strikes back, the Mexican, 300, Gladiator etc etc etc etc etc.

zackp24

Local time
-->
1. Stalker- Andrei Tarkovsky
2. 8 1/2- Federico Fellini
3. Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters- Paul Schrader
4. Le Samouraï- Jean-Pierre Melville
5. Brazil- Terry Gilliam

Anchorite

I trusted you Steve Guttenberg!
Local time
-->
1. Kill Bill
2. Star Wars
3. The Man Who Knew To Much (1953)
4. Toy Story 2
5. Ghost Busters

Excellent

Bloop beep bop.
Local time
Today 3:16 AM
-->
There are a lot of movies I like, but here are five:

1. Harold and Maude
2. Big Fish
3. A Clockwork Orange
4. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original)
5. Penelope

SOLROCK

Local time
-->
I love movies here are a few enjoyed a lot in no particular order

Metropolis
wall-E
Life Boat
Hunch Back of Notre Dam
The Thing/Invasion of the Body Snatchers(couldn't decide between the two)
and all of studo ghibli's works(Princess mononoke and Laputa especially)

sniktawekim

Local time
-->
I didn't have any luck with the non american films thread. thought I would create this one. What are your top five, or are you just not much into movies?

These are ones I just keep coming back to:

1. Bladerunner - A great examination of the ramifications of artificial intelligence and visually amazing

3. Fight Club - A brilliant satire that addresses the frustration of the modern american gen x male. Let's just burn it all down and start over!

4. Donnie Darko - Sci Fi time travel story by way of teenage coming of age movie? Very thought provoking and intense

5. Dark City - Visually stunning and a fascinating look at the nature of memories and how they effect us. One of the most underrated movies of all time.

1. Bladerunner (to me it was more than just about AI, but hit hard on life and death as well)

2. Planet of the Apes

3. Phenomenon - yes i know its very cheesy, i think im in love with it because of nostalgia

i cant decide for my fourth and fifth spots
but i will say that i LOVED donnie darko and dark city ALLOT
its really a pool between those and 2001 and vertigo. i also liked the original saw allot because i didnt see the ending coming. Edit: i think ill also throw "the lost highway" and waterworld into the mix

i however fucking hate fight club.
meh. extremely overrated and predictable imo.

sniktawekim

Local time
-->
It must be an INTP thing. about 90% of the movies that you guys mentions here I agree with. I sense a Fight Club recurring theme?

lol.
i think every 90% of intps that watch both fight club and blade runner will rank blade runner higher. every intp must see blade runner.

sniktawekim

Local time
-->
2. Shawshank Redemption. just a beautifully written movie with a great story.
3. American History X. if you haven't seen it, i recommend it. words fail to explain it, it needs to be seen.

these movies started off in completely different feelings for me, and then switched to the opposite of what the feelings were for at the end of them.
(i hope that was comprehensible)
i loved them both.

zackp24

Local time
-->
i thorougly enjoyed stalker for its atmosphere, but i have a hard time thinking of it as a good movie, and more of a good ... relaxing experience.

I feel like Stalker's not a movie you just watch, but one that you meditate with. I've seen it three times now, and it has never been anything but a transcendent experience.

Hysteresis

Redcoat
Local time
-->
Here's my 5. Posting trailers too.

Ichi The Killer - Japanese film about a psychotic, sexually repressed young man with amazing martial arts abilities and blades that come out of his shoes.
Trailer: YouTube- Ichi the killer (English trailer)

Oldboy - Another Japanese film. A man is imprisoned for 15 years with no explanation. He is then released, and given 5 days to find out who imprisoned him, and why.
Also features the world's longest killing spree with a hammer.
Trailer:YouTube- Old Boy Trailer

Gladiator - Epic tale of vengeance starring Russell Crowe. A Roman general is betrayed, his family killed by a corrupt prince. He becomes a gladiator to eventually avenge his family.
Trailer: YouTube- Gladiator Trailer HD

Man Bites Dog - Hilarious film in which a camera crew document the life of a Belgian serial killer. As the film progresses, the camera crew get more and more involved in his life, and start to wonder if this documentary was such a good idea.
You also learn an amazing drinking game from the film.
Trailer: YouTube- Criterion Trailer 165: Man Bites Dog

The Butterfly Effect - mind-boggling film starring Ashton Kutcher (this is probably the only film he's any good in). Follows the life of a boy who has memory blackouts, and wakes up in random places without remembering a thing. He keeps a diary of events prior to these blackouts. He reads the entries in college, and re-lives those memories. Things happen differently when he re-lives them, and he wakes up in alternate futures. Demonstrates what can happen if you fool around with the past.
Trailer: YouTube- The Butterfly Effect Trailer

sardonic-tea

Redshirt
Local time
-->
1) Donnie Darko
2) Little Miss Sunshine
3) Fight Club
4) Shutter Island
5) The Invention of Lying

That was a bit difficult towards the end...I couldn't think of anything else.

Jedi

Local time
-->
Aside from snafupants nobody has mentioned The Godfather, tisk tisk. In no particular order:

The Godfather 1 & 2 (I still cannot decide a preference)
Annie Hall
Taxi Driver
Pulp Fiction
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

and for extra credit - #6: Dumb and Dumber

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
-->
Difficult..

No particular order here.

Pulp Fiction - Classic

40-Year-Old-Virgin - Carell wasn't my favorite guy in this movie, but Rogen and Romany Malco had me gasping for air.

Kung Fu Hustle - All I can ever think about seeing this movie is the scene where the camera is scrolling through the "peaceful" local neighborhood at night and, in the camera's scrolling, you see the legendary kung-fu couple arguing and the lady beating the crap out of the guy. I'm not sure why it's so funny to me.

Aviator - Has Leo ever been in a bad movie?

Munich

I just realized I couldn't possibly have a top 5. I watch too many movies and I could have easily put Clint Eastwood's "Josey Wales" movie, Matrix, Die Hard 3....

...I should stay away from any and all music threads for fear of crippling indecisiveness.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
Aviator - Has Leo ever been in a bad movie?

Why yes, yes indeed. Critters 3, The Quick And The Dead, Romeo + Juliet and The Beach were all pretty bad.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Egads, Critters 3 wasn't "pretty bad". It was hilariously bad.

Hey! I really like the Quick and the....
nevermind.

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
-->
I don't know if movies are hilariously bad to me anymore. "The Happening", for example, made me want to kill myself. I can't believe I sat through that entire movie.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->

Hey! I really like the Quick and the....
nevermind.

I really wanted to like that movie, especially since it was Raimi's next movie after the awesome Army Of Darkness and had an awesome cast but I'm not even really sure what went wrong. It's just... not good.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->
Why yes, yes indeed. Critters 3, The Quick And The Dead, Romeo + Juliet and The Beach were all pretty bad.

I liked The Beach. In fact, it's my favourite Danny Boyle film, but that's not saying much.

kinetickyle

Thinking man's idiot
Local time
-->
I know this is an old thread, but I almost posted this same topic, so here goes:

Five Favorite Movies
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Fight Club
The Empire Strikes Back
The Razor's Edge (1946)
The Big Sleep (1946)

Renegade

Redshirt
Local time
-->
1. The Star Wars Trilogy (Out of sheer fan-boyism)
2. Fight Club (Out of complete originality)
3. Memento (This choice represents an affinity for Christopher Nolan films as a whole)
4. Hot Fuzz (Because I this list would be incomplete and unbalanced without a comedy)
5. Either Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 or Watchmen (Although these choices represent my taste in Quentin Tarantino and Zack Snyder films as a whole, respectively)

A handful of honorable mentions that could easily slip into the top 5 should I whim it:
Donnie Darko (I didn't know how many people liked this movie until a month after I saw it), Shutter Island, The Matrix, The Prestige, Pulp Fiction, Scott Pilgrim (I have a friend who [accurately] described my taste in movies as "All those intellectucal make-you-think movies, and then Scott Pilgrim"), Die Hard, Zoolander (I'm really jumping genres now...), Dark City, Indiana Jones (mostly all of them), The Usual Suspects,...

...and I sort of liked Sucker Punch even though everyone is hating on it...

Melllvar

Banned
Local time
-->
1. The Thing
2. The Prestige
3. Gattaca
4. Busty College Coeds 4
4. Nightwatch / Daywatch
5. Aliens

Honorable Mentions:

Primer
Redbelt
Sunshine
Princess Mononoke
Star Wars Trilogy (only the three original, unaltered movies)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Amadeus

I'm sure right after I post this I'll change my mind/remember something else.

Also I like how often the Metropolis anime was listed in here. *high fives INTPforum* That ending scene with the Ray Charles song was incredible.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:16 PM
-->
1. Shaolin Soccer
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
3. Lord of the Rings
4. Pirates of the Caribbean
5. Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham

Yeah some foreign movies too

Particle

Bazooka Tooth Dental
Local time
-->
In no particular order, here are some of the ones I've really enjoyed and have been effected by (to a large part due to them representing the first time I'd been exposed to something of that style) in my life:
Demolition Man
Terminator 2
Die Hard
The Fifth Element
The Matrix
Crank
Gangs of New York
Constantine
Jonah Hex
Gran Torino
Requiem for a Dream
The Dark Knight
Law Abiding Citizen
The Hurt Locker
Serenity
Swordfish

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
I thought Jonah Hex could have been a good film, but it was lacking narrative. It felt like someone had cut out all the story and just left the action scenes with little to connect them.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
How is it I've never posted my favorites?

How can I choose? These are in no particular order. They are just my favorite.

Darjeeling Limited (Best quote and philosophical self-realization in a movie ever! "I didn't save mine..." I also love how the film carefully makes fun of pretentious art-house films while patently being one.)

the Good the Bad and the Ugly/Outlaw Josey Wales/Two Mules for Sister Sara (I can't choose but I know every line of those Eastwood movies. Also, watching Clint pop his shoulder back into joint by beating it on a rock is breathtaking.)

Trainspotting (It's such a good portrayal of drug addiction and the craziness of life.)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nes
t (Not terribly truthful to the book but it's one of the most engaging movies I can think of.)

True Grit (It's a new favorite and might not last but for now I really love that movie.)

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
Blow > Trainspotting

There, I said it!

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
*slaps Anthile*

You take that back!

Actually, I saw Blow a long time ago and wasn't impressed. Perhaps it's because of Johnny Depp? I'll watch it again and come back with a better reason.

mke2686

Local time
-->
A clockwork orange
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
Being john malkovich
Snatch
Fear and loathing in las vegas
Seven pounds (movies are one of the few things that make me feel)
Anchorman
Fightclub
The doors
Pan's labyrinth

theres a ton more but i couldnt think of any others

Edit: forgot one of my faves - waking life

Edit 2: and 2001 a space odyssey

Panopticon

mehmber
Local time
-->
CITY OF GOD
Requiem For A Dream
Naturally Born Killers
Training Day
Fight Club(what can I say)

SuicideMonday

Redshirt
Local time
-->
It's good to see that Fight Club is getting the love it deserves.
Also -

Pathology - A good movie for Fight Club fans, though it has less fights and more death and gore. Not for the squemish. Great plot, great ending.

V for Vendetta - I still am not sure of the reason I enjoy this one

Tank Girl - A Funny, Unusual take on future society, with strong story to back up the humor.

Doomsday - Another movie about a disease destroying the human race, and fighting for a cure. But it has twists that make it memorable, and I like the main actress and the side stories involved, as well as the fact that it doesn't have the typical happy ending.

Edit: I also think I should mention shrooms, simply for the part where the boy is talking to the cow about how dead he is. And people don't think drugs are dangerous.

chrystalline

Everyone Lies...
Local time
-->
Hmm....top 5? I will add my Top 5 and then a small list of others since I LOVE movies! :)

1. Moulin Rouge
2. Sherlock Holmes
3. 50 First Dates
4. What Dreams May Come
5. Limitless

There are so many types of movies I love though! I love cartoon/cgi, ancient wars/mythology, sci-fi, comedies (Adam Sandler especially), suspense, fantasy, etc! No dramas for me though...don't care for most of them, but do love a good romance, especially set in a historical or sci-fi plot.

Some other significant movies are (in no particular order)...300, Prince of Persia, Troy, Percy Jackson, Kung Fu Panda, Emperors New Groove, Despicable Me, all Sci-Fi (you can't break that down...LOL!), comedies with Adam Sandler or Robin Williams in it mostly, Harry Potter series, most fantasy movies, M. Night Shyalaman films, Tim Burton films, Inception, Limitless, Ever After, Time Traveler's Wife, and the list goes on. Can't forget to mention the Back to the Future movies! :) LOL!

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
:rip:

I know I posted on this page, but I never used to be in to films much. The last year it has really gripped me and I've been watching nearly one a day.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind/ Science of Sleep

Same director/ romantic comedy style, but both are quite interesting. I think people on this forum would enjoy the latter as the main character displays INTP traits, on occasion, and the directing style is very Ne heavy.

2. Survive Style 5+

I'll have to thank Anthile for this one, as I wouldn't of heard of it if he had not posted a link in a separate thread. It's just a very creative piece, while being so thought provoking in its style its message dismisses any inherent meaning - it's about entertainment and that is just what it is.

3. Requiem for a dream

I havn't seen a film, yet, by Aronofsky that I havn't loved. The soundtrack to this I found especially effective. Others have mentioned this one, as well as Pi, the recent Black Swan wasn't quite as powerful but it's a good film to nonetheless.

4. La Jetee

A short film shot entirely in photographs, the theme: time-travel. It inspired Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys, which is a worthy mention as well. I just loved the style of this, setting a film on memory in photos just seemed really powerful to me. I study memory mostly for my degree, I'm also writing a script for a short film at the moment, and this is just a massive influence on me. You can find an english translation on Youtube, 25 minutes of your life definitely not wasted.

5. Apocalypse Now

I regret getting the redux version. It adds 40 minutes on, bringing the film just under 4 hours. While a brilliant film it does draw it out too long. I felt it was effective at breeding a kind of insanity in the viewer, I remember the whole way through wondering how Kurtz would appear and it didn't disappoint me, anyway.

I'd mention Fight Club and Memento as well, they just didn't cut it for me in the end :S Kubrick is obviously awesome as well, it's just while all his films are really good they never effected me on a personal level, it's like the sentiment is hidden behind layers of technical mastery, if that makes sense.

Roddick

Redshirt
Local time
-->
My most favourite movies are as follow:
1.God Father,
2.Titanic,
3.The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button,
4.The Hurt Locker,
5.Avatar....!!!

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I agree about the ending partly. But its a US audience. You just can't give them a story where the bad guy wins (i.e. Brad Pitt takes over Edward Norton's body permanently). Maybe if it had been made in Korea. They seem to enjoy depressing endings over there.

Re: Fight Club's ending (spoiler alert)
I actually thought the film ended with the subliminal message to suggest that Brad wasn't really dead but had wholly taken over Norton. There's an early scene in the film where they are in a cinema changing reels in the cameras and saying how the camera doesn't notice the difference when it's own reel is changed.

I thought that subliminal message was 'the change in reels' put into the film to suggest that the main character, like the camera in the cinema, had changed.

I know Decaf doesn't post anymore, but a lot of people have put FC in their top 5 so, you're free to comment :D

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
Re: Fight Club's ending (spoiler alert)
I actually thought the film ended with the subliminal message to suggest that Brad wasn't really dead but had wholly taken over Norton. There's an early scene in the film where they are in a cinema changing reels in the cameras and saying how the camera doesn't notice the difference when it's own reel is changed.

I thought that subliminal message was 'the change in reels' put into the film to suggest that the main character, like the camera in the cinema, had changed.

I know Decaf doesn't post anymore, but a lot of people have put FC in their top 5 so, you're free to comment :D

I don't think I've heard that interpretation before. I tend to think the comment referred more to what was happening than to how it ended, but I admit it's possible, and I wouldn't put it past Chuck. My reasoning to believe otherwise is that we never see Tyler interact with Marla aside from the sex. The interaction at the end felt more like Edward Norton's character because Marla was there.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
-->
movies that are always on top of my mind, because they are symbolically tied into my identity or history.

bladerunner
alien
(i like all parts, in fact all movies with sigourney. of course the first is the best)
akira
imdb
gunnm/battle angel alita
imdb

it's just four. if i had to choose five i would add fight club, because i liked it and i used to go into self help groups a lot, so there is a symbolical tie as well.i am also enough of a split personality. but testosterone-violence is not really my thing. in fact the first part of full metal jacket would probably portrait the violent side of me better.

my memory is too bad, to come up with a more recent, less symbolical list of the movies i enjoyed most.

in my childhood i liked schizoid cowboys like django (imdb)
maybe i should add that one to my top five?

i used to like science fiction all my life
but now i also like what i call bardo-logik. broken realities, identities, being stuck in limbo ....
i don't shy away from emotional movies.

a list of some other movies is on my blog

digital angel

Local time
-->
I'm not sure I can come up with five; I don't watch movies a lot. I do like Star Wars, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Indiana Jones isn't bad either.

A22

occasional poster
Local time
-->
Wow it's hard to choose top 5. There are at least 10 movies I'd like to put on this list.

1. Requiem for a Dream

2. Blade Runner

3. Se7en

4. Die Welle

5. The Gods Must be Crazy

Top Bottom