• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

This site should have contests.

Are you interested in this site hosting some form of mentally stimulating "contests"?

• Yes

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 5:06 PM
-->
I'm intrinsically luminous, mortals. I'm 4ever
Would be very cool. No prizes necessary. Weekly or more easily monthly.

I just saw the INTPcomplex IQ test, that's not at all what I had in mind. I was originally thinking something like 'best solution to..' or some interesting thing but realized that's just what a forum post is anyways. Like usual don't mind this post nothing to see here.

Local time
Today 1:06 AM
-->
I'm all for it, so long as:

1. We aren't douchebaggy enough to hold an IQ contest. Ever.

2. Any transactions for prizes are run through me who shall serve as a voluntary escrow. :angel:

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 6:06 PM
-->

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->
There are currently roster-building efforts in the Strongest Fighter thread but I don't imagine that's going anywhere except in circles.

ESC's Photo Contest was bumped recently by Rook with a bizarre entry .. however by the rules of the thread it is acceptable to suggest another topic, in the interest of revival, not that it's taken off...

Otherwise there is the Shit Competition which has also received some "very bizarre" entries of its own; I don't really recommend it.

There is the bearded photo thread which may be seen as a competition, except it is seriously lacking in bearded photos.

Last but not least (definitely not last) there is the "You Right Now" thread which is in [one] reality a contest of physical attractiveness.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
COMPETITION?!?!?!!?!? NO! COOPERATION!!!!

MADNESS THIS IS MADNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSXZZZZZXZXZXZXZZZXZXZZZZ

ce1e81d7f55a78822de0407bd01ca659fda880933b3f0fd699aa9328a44236a5.jpg

82f6cfd32ec29f243ce8766685a09efe0db22034805b090d72c57df989c2be5f.jpg

hCF17245B

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
Would be very cool. No prizes necessary. Weekly or more easily monthly.

I just saw the INTPcomplex IQ test, that's not at all what I had in mind. I was originally thinking something like 'best solution to..' or some interesting thing but realized that's just what a forum post is anyways. Like usual don't mind this post nothing to see here.

I don't understand the type of competition were we subjugate others as being lesser. I think that competeing against yourself is of much greater value. Maybe its because I am afraid of losing. :)

There are a few threads were people post their IQ scores. I am unsurenof the validity of those tests and whether they include all forms of intelligence but they are there if interested.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Yesterday 8:06 PM
-->
1. We aren't douchebaggy enough to hold an IQ contest. Ever.

INTPComplex is not holding an IQ contest.

Some private member not on staff posted in the Playground forum to try to get people to take an official test, will pay the winner $100, and is trying to set up a betting pool on who might win. Don't ask me what his intentions are.

Looks like three people might be doing it currently. Which means a lot of people are ignoring it.

Methodician

clever spec of dust
Local time
-->
I don't understand the type of competition were we subjugate others as being lesser. I think that competeing against yourself is of much greater value. Maybe its because I am afraid of losing. :)

There are a few threads were people post their IQ scores. I am unsurenof the validity of those tests and whether they include all forms of intelligence but they are there if interested.

I generally agree with this. I used to enjoy contests a lot more than I do now. I realized that winning an arbitrary contest creates a false sense of self-worth and entitlement while losing leads to an imagined sense of failure and diminished self confidence.

There are real things in life to compete for: love, money, power... but if you're just looking for a challenge either play a game with a person or compete with yourself. A game of chess is a lot like a contest but seems to have a little more redeeming value. Just a bit... and beating your own best score at a cognitive challenge creates a very real sense of achievement and may lead to improved cognitive function.

Competitions have some redeeming value if well-engineered though so take my rant with a grain of salt.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
I generally agree with this. I used to enjoy contests a lot more than I do now. I realized that winning an arbitrary contest creates a false sense of self-worth and entitlement while losing leads to an imagined sense of failure and diminished self confidence.

Well stated. It seems as if gaining a sense of acceptance of self caused me to have little care for such things as competition. I still like being a better person and increasing knowledge as these things serve a practical pupose in enhancing my life.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I propose a contest to see who can start the best contest.

Methodician

clever spec of dust
Local time
-->
Well stated. It seems as if gaining a sense of acceptance of self caused me to have little care for such things as competition. I still like being a better person and increasing knowledge as these things serve a practical pupose in enhancing my life.

I get that too. There's some point at which I accepted myself and others for who they are and the idea of beating them or losing to them lost a lot of appeal. It's never gone, but seems a little pointless now. Kind of like how you can't truly love others until you love yourself.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Some ideas:

• Lurking/hiatus contest
  • Poetry contest
  • Rap battle (a capella on voocaroo/youtube)
  • Art contest
  • Forum clue/mystery game contest

Top Bottom