• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Things you want to do before dying

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 9:54 AM
-->
Or experiences you want to live, people you want to meet (even if you think it's unrealistic) etc

Also, what stops you?

I haven't really had any specific goals, at least not for the last 10 years or so, but recently I've been thinking I want to try racing on a race track. With a car. I've always felt kinda connected to driving cars, and the high I sometimes feel when driving is unlike anything else I've experienced. I want to drive somewhere I can push the vehicle to its limits and be reckless. It feels like something I'd enjoy a lot, maybe even be good at, but I can never know for sure unless I try.

What stops me from trying would be availability (no race tracks in sight), also finances. As of now I don't have enough free capital to do it. I guess health is also a slight concern, I'm not sure if I'm healthy enough to travel with all the stress and work that would entail.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 8:54 AM
-->
Get published

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 7:54 PM
-->
recently I've been thinking I want to try racing on a race track. With a car.

good thing you specified :^)

in no particular order:

- write a book
- have sex on a church altar
- write a book about having sex on a church altar
- roll down a really, really big hill
- write a book detailing the pros and cons of rolling down really, really big hills
- meet vladimir putin
- write a book abou- maybe i'll just put it all in the one book
- get the band back together
- make music
- start a cult
- skip through a prestigious museum cackling maniacally

current barriers to progress:

- i'm shit and lazy
- finding someone willing to break into a church and have sex on the altar is proving difficult
- australia has no big hills
- vladimir doesn't return my calls
- john belushi is dead and he was a pretty integral part of the band
- im shit and lazy
- im shit and lazy
- haven't had the chance to go to a prestigious museum yet

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
What are you writing about?

Oh, you know. Stuff.

What kind of race car do you picture yourself in ? I'm guessing it's not formula 1.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
I’m in an awkward part of my life where I’ve just achieved the last of my must-do-before-dying items. Sure there’s a lot of trivial things I’d like to do, but I’m now without any real, tangible goals/wishes. I’d still like to do certain travel destinations, and probably own property and other such trivialities, but the list is just empty at this moment.

This year has been leading up to completion of my final goal which I worked towards for 9 years, and throughout the year I’ve been in a fluctuating state of varying degrees of existential crises. These crises have since concluded, and left behind them the person I am at this moment, a person who is just... being?

I’m no longer working towards anything, and there’s no bucket list item I’m aiming for; so I seem to have found myself free to finally just ‘be myself’. I also think I’ve finally figured out what that means.

I’m still performing at a high level in my ‘career’ and all that; but without an overarching goal, I’ve found my skill advancement to have taken a hockey-stick upturn, which I attribute to the lack of internal pressure from trying to achieve. I’m kind of just enjoying that right now. I’ll just continue on the arbitrary path of mastery for a while and enjoy it and see where it takes me...

I think I will eventually build up a new list, but for the time being, I’ll just bask in the satisfaction of having achieved what I set out to do.

I can finally just, for a time, be Happy :king-twitter:

Nebulous

Local time
Today 4:54 AM
-->
I can finally just, for a time, be Happy :king-twitter:
I’m happy for you, Happy!

& redb proves to be relatable again

- - -
I want to go to more AJJ concerts. That band is really inspiring to me and it’s just a great experience.
More punk concerts in general. Political activism concerts? The actual best things. I need me more of them.

I’ve heard from People that everyone should shave their head or part of it at least once in their life. That it’s very freeing and allows you to focus on your Own Self.
( I’ve also been told that people who shave their eyebrows off fear neither god nor satan and I’d really like to be free of trace religious fears, so that’s a... very tentative thing, doesn’t seem like I realistically would, but it’s sometjing I think about a lot. )

-Climbing mountains

I’m fallisng asleep.

-

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
anyone wanna join my cult?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:54 PM
-->
Do I get to wear robes and a mask?

Deleted member 1424

It's rb's cult; it'd be weird if you didn't.

I wanna ride the vomit comet.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
cult meetings will now have been relocated and will now be held in the vomit comet at 3pm every 2nd wednesday

aiyanah

_aded
Local time
Today 10:54 AM
-->
create a new industry in south africa.
make a AAA video game that nets me at least 3 million dollars.
make an animation that wins some type of award, i'll take anything.
move the animation standards back towards originality in concepts and not money spinning projects.

what was stopping me, a quest to assimilate as much knowledge as possible while high on various narcotics.
better late than never i guess

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
move the animation standards back towards originality in concepts and not money spinning projects.

what was stopping me, a quest to assimilate as much knowledge as possible while high on various narcotics.
Here’s my unsolicited two cents:

Your creative goals/wishes as stated here are too specific and it’ll be too easy to fall off the wagon. Better to have short term achievable goals with the overarching goal of mastering your craft. that’s how you sustain interest in long term creative pursuits. It’s also a lot easier to course-correct when you’re planning on a shorter timeline.

Best to focus on being the best video game creator/animator that you can possibly be, andlet the opportunities and money flow in, than to aim to make the oddly specific 3 million dollars.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
@Happy I would say those goals are a bit too vague. I've been working on an independent project of sorts over the last 2 years, and it's now almost done. At the outset I had a pretty specific vision in mind, and then broke it down to very concrete steps. But like you say, after its being broken down into steps and it's very clear what has to be done, it's more important to develop habits and systems, and take pleasure from just executing the plan and having the sense that one is learning new things and evolving in terms of one's skills.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
happy: your goals are too specific
serac: your goals are too vague

democracy sucks

aiyanah

_aded
Local time
Today 10:54 AM
-->

Here’s my unsolicited two cents:

Your creative goals/wishes as stated here are too specific and it’ll be too easy to fall off the wagon. Better to have short term achievable goals with the overarching goal of mastering your craft. that’s how you sustain interest in long term creative pursuits. It’s also a lot easier to course-correct when you’re planning on a shorter timeline.

Best to focus on being the best video game creator/animator that you can possibly be, andlet the opportunities and money flow in, than to aim to make the oddly specific 3 million dollars.
lol i'm opening a studio, first step is advertisements.
i might only make a video game some 15/20 years after this post.
also wanna start a school to man that studio eventually, more threads than i would advertise are being wound together.
if the studio fails then i can teach kids why you don't open a studio thinking it's a good idea.
the down time is whack though, which is a welcome change to what i was 5 years ago always craving down time lol.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
@Happy I would say those goals are a bit too vague. I've been working on an independent project of sorts over the last 2 years, and it's now almost done. At the outset I had a pretty specific vision in mind, and then broke it down to very concrete steps. But like you say, after its being broken down into steps and it's very clear what has to be done, it's more important to develop habits and systems, and take pleasure from just executing the plan and having the sense that one is learning new things and evolving in terms of one's skills.
I don’t disagree with you there. I thought aiyanah was in a much earlier stage of their journey than it turns out they are (opening a studio is pretty far along towards those goals). My two cents would have been more valid for someone at an earlier stage in their journey. Still, I think there’s too many items in that list.

@aiyanah best of luck with the studio. That’s no easy feat.

In other thread-related news, I think I’ve worked out my next long term goal, and while it’s mundane AF, I think it’s definitely something that fits the “Things you want to do before dying” thread parameter. It’s something that caught my interest about a year or 2 ago. It is to achieve financial independence. Step 1: define what that means for me. Step 2: break it into actionable steps and define a timeline.

Okay, GO!

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:54 PM
-->
Haha, go @Happy

I had to think about this. There were a couple of things when I was younger, but I have never really had a very definite goal. I sort of had things vaguely planned out, and they went to plan until I became ill and had to do a 180˚.

It just took a bit longer than I thought it would, but if everything went to plan, life would be predictable and perhaps I'd be bored by now. And if there is anything I fear, it is boredom - although I do understand boredom is necessary for development. If I didn't get bored so quickly, I would never have done all the things I did.

I have put down foundations upon which I can build many interesting things and I'm in the process of realising a couple...or three. It is pretty exciting because I don't know where it will take me and that is the interesting part. Not knowing, that is.

In terms of concrete things though...I would like to write a book. If I can find the time. Maybe several books? And there are several paintings I'd like to start, but again - time. And maybe get piano lessons, I'm a bit sick of reverse engineering everything...

Perhaps I will do a PhD, but I'm not rushing into it because it has to be the right kind of project. I'm just waiting for the right opportunity, and I need to prioritise my health first if I'm going to get anything done. Not feeling great right now, but I have used that time to come up with ideas, at least.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 5:54 PM
-->
@Happy

Are you done with your architecture program? Have you gotten a license?

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
@Happy

Are you done with your architecture program? Have you gotten a license?
Yeah fully licensed and finally working in my dream job. I very nearly sold out too, after a few years of working jobs I disliked, but stuck it out and got to the other side.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 5:54 PM
-->
Really happy for you dude. Personally I'm taking the urban planning route so I can work developing countries.. Not sure how my plans will pan out but I'm encouraged by your success. Hope the best in your new position !

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Ah thanks @onesteptwostep :)
Best of luck to you. That’s a noble goal.

(I’m actually gearing up to do a bit of that in a developing country next year. Really looking forward to it!)

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
- open a cafe
- write a book about opening a cafe

Gyppo

navy shirt
Local time
-->
- write a book
- have sex on a church altar
- write a book about having sex on a church altar
- roll down a really, really big hill
- write a book detailing the pros and cons of rolling down really, really big hills
- meet vladimir putin
- write a book abou- maybe i'll just put it all in the one book
- get the band back together
- make music
- start a cult
- skip through a prestigious museum cackling maniacally

current barriers to progress:

- i'm shit and lazy
- finding someone willing to break into a church and have sex on the altar is proving difficult
- australia has no big hills
- vladimir doesn't return my calls
- john belushi is dead and he was a pretty integral part of the band
- im shit and lazy
- im shit and lazy
- haven't had the chance to go to a prestigious museum yet

i would try to help by being your john belushi but i'm already my brother's. i think it'd be cheating. i've already done the hill, the museum, the cult (couple of times) and written a few books. freaky that in my completely inert life, someone aspires to do the only things i've done
no, join MY cult

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 3:54 AM
-->
Most of my "before I die" is meeting certain people and going to certain places.

I want to go to Greece and Rome and the Rain Forest and Haiti and Egypt.
I want to see some of my fav musicians play live.

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
Today 3:54 AM
-->
look older than 15
find a drink size that lasts me more than 5 minutes.
build an electric vehicle
invent something cool.
consistently use periods
become consistent in general.
find somewhere i fit in

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
become immortal

an actual one:
say "fuck you" to some authority figure when it's least expected

become a free human being to the point where I can say "fuck you" to authority figures on a regular basis. That will require fuck-you money.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
become immortal

an actual one:

become a free human being to the point where I can say "fuck you" to authority figures on a regular basis. That will require fuck-you money.
I don’t see what having fuck-you-money has to do with it? Just takes balls doesn’t it? The fuck-you-money is just a safety net in lieu of balls.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
become immortal

an actual one:

I don’t see what having fuck-you-money has to do with it? Just takes balls doesn’t it? The fuck-you-money is just a safety net in lieu of balls.

It doesn't just take fuck you money it could take fuck you skills or fuck you ability to find a new job or fuck you ability to not just die if you suddenly don't have an income.

As someone who has all of those putting it down to balls is a little naive.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Okay what kind of authority figure are we talking here?

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
become immortal

an actual one:

It doesn't just take fuck you money it could take fuck you skills or fuck you ability to find a new job or fuck you ability to not just die if you suddenly don't have an income.

But I don’t have any of those...

I understood the meaning of authority figures in the post to mean people in political/legal power. Not a boss. If you’re going to say a big juicy “fuck you” to authority, why should having money be a pre-requisite?

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
become immortal

an actual one:

But I don’t have any of those...

I understood the meaning of authority figures in the post to mean people in political/legal power. Not a boss. If you’re going to say a big juicy “fuck you” to authority, why should having money be a pre-requisite?

No you have all of those. You are educated, won't die if you suddenly don't have an income due to unemployment benefit, you seem to be good at getting jobs, the only one you might not have is savings.

The fact it requires fuck you money implies there is a boss involved or financial issues if you say fuck you that requires it. I assumed this was the meaning based on the requirement to have fuck you money.

I'm maybe just rebelling against the idea that not making stupid decisions is down to ball size but even so it's a sliding scale.

Like there's the fuck you ability on the y axis with the ball size on the x, however on the z axis there's the stupidity/intelligence axis which is partly linked to ball size but not strictly because you can have balls and not be stupid but at some point of balls in relation to fuck you ability you might run into the stupid scale.

Top Bottom