• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Void's Collection

kris

thbbft
Local time
Today 1:32 AM
-->
Re: God is not dead

I have since thought of other Herculeses who may be better than Sorbo.
I just don't know how to rank them anymore.
My entire world view is being thrown out of whack.
Life no longer holds meaning.
There is no God.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->

"What makes you think life ever contained meaning? Life creates meaning. It was not or is not given or inherent." -Creator who created creation with creativity

"Besides which, why do you deny me even as I speak to you. Could I speak if I did not exist?" -The real and actual GOD not those other phony gods

I have since thought of other Herculeses who may be better than Sorbo.
I just don't know how to rank them anymore.
My entire world view is being thrown out of whack.
Life no longer holds meaning.
There is no God.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->

Cause we haven't seen any indication of your existence for a long time

If I created an earthquake to say, "IM HERE!" they would just say it was naturally caused. Everything I send is explained away as if it was just happenstance. Why can't I get a little credit here.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 10:32 AM
-->

If I created an earthquake to say, "IM HERE!" they would just say it was naturally caused. Everything I send is explained away as if it was just happenstance. Why can't I get a little credit here.

I do like weed.
Good work creating that, old chap.

NormannTheDoorman

Rice is love. Rice is life.
Local time
Today 7:32 PM
-->

He's creating a planet of anarchy...

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
Today 3:32 AM
-->

I don't know where you get the idea that my dad died. He's right here, lighting one up. He sent me down to you guys to get the good stuff yesterday. I almost got caught by the cops, actually. Fuckers are worse than the Rabbis.

Anktark

of the swarm
Local time
Today 10:32 AM
-->
Re: why atheists are stupid

Color is the perception given by the eye to the brain for one portion of the visible spectrum.

No, color is a perception of a portion of visible spectrum by the brain to the brain. An eye only creates electrical impulses corresponding to different wavelengths of the visible (to that eye) light. I am not sure why did you mention this; don't you agree that black is not a colour?

The disbelief in god is the belief in the validity of the argument in favor of god. It doesn't matter if it is fruit or vegetable, the mere acceptance of the concept is validation.

This part of your answer rises more questions than answers. Could you express these thoughts in more detail? If it helps, imagine that you are explaining it to an idiot, who wants to understand.

I gave the tomato example to show that based on your definition of religion, any different perspective can be considered a religion. That would mean there is an infinite number of religions and we all practice countless numbers of them. In a way, I agree with that, however any debate about religion of such manner is rather pointless. I assumed this discussion revolves around religions which have a basis of a personal god and around atheists.

My thoughts on this topic in general:

A religious person doesn't question what is right and wrong. S/he is told what is right or wrong. Christians have it directly written in one of their holy books: the first sin was eating fruits from the tree of knowledge (of good and evil). Basically, stay dumb and clueless and you will be in heaven. Entertain a thought of your own and you are out. Ignorance is bliss, thank god I am not blessed (at least I wish to believe that). Refusing to conform and be happy is a good point why atheists are stupid.

digitalbum

ENTP
Local time
-->

Atheism is stupid. Just like you can't know their is a god, you can't know there ISN'T one.
Humans are WAY too dumb for this question.

Agnosticism, "Uuum, I dunno. Maybe, maybe not. I'm basically a monkey with thumbs." Is the ONLY way to go.

kris

thbbft
Local time
-->

Did you ever talk with religious people? Yes THEY do name you as an atheist.

Perhaps I went to heavy on semantics in my last post, causing my point to be obscured.

I call refer to my own position as atheistic. I am an atheist. This term is a tool describing only a single aspect of my worldview: I do not believe in any gods. Why should I need such a term? Because belief in gods in humans is prevalent and culturally significant.

Do some religious folks have some very strange definitions for the term 'atheist'? Yes, but those are the types (generally speaking) who will never understand any world views differing from their own. It doesn't matter what terms I use or do not use; they are not in the business of understanding others.

While the term 'atheist' has had different connotations and implications over the years, we're not governed by how people in the 1500s used the term. Theists didn't exactly create it; they appropriated it from Greek. Those people are all dead now. If they have a problem with the way we use the term now, they can stfu. Sometime in the 1700s (if I recall correctly) more positive usage started to emerge, and there have been subtle meaning changes here and then ever since. Those people from the 1700s are all dead too.

People may misunderstand what 'atheism' means, but the cool thing about atheism is that anyone can crack a dictionary and get a pretty decent definition. Most contemporary dictionaries will offer a definition along the lines of 'disbelief in deities' which is accurate, and rather neutral. Any deeper definition than that comes down to the individual atheist.

kris

thbbft
Local time
-->

I always had an affection for anglerfish.
...Especially the kinky parasitical sex.

I was a male anglerfish in my last life. I saw a fine-looking lady fish glowing in the cold, black deep (beauty is relative) and thought I'd make my move.
"Do you like to cuddle during sex?" she said.
"Sure, I guess that's fine," said I.

Best and worst sex of my little fishy life.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Today 8:32 AM
-->

God is not dead
Shhhh. Don't tell the atheists.

They had enough trouble accepting Santa Claus wasn't real.:confused:

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 10:32 PM
-->

I'm sorry. I Killed God. I had to; God wasn't doing a good job.

Let's just move on now. No sense in getting mad over spilled milk. It'll be better this way. Trust me. Now we have the freedom to do what we think is best and not be told instead. La viva revolucion!
SmileyMachineGun.gif

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 4:32 AM
-->

What about you? Do you have mercy?

Multiple choice responses:

(a) Sometimes the most profound mercy is implemented through swift and exacting judgment. :cat: Or playful torment. (rawr)

(b) Sorry, I give up mercy for Lent each year... and spend the rest of the year practicing giving it up.

(c) Mercy's locked in my basement. Sometimes she scratches at the door, but that doesn't mean I increase her food allotment.

(d) Mercy? Merci (pour demander).

King_Be_Us

Local time
-->

Do not make discussions with your Catholic family trying to logically explain the fact that gays were discriminated in the bible (whatever the ones for that sect of religion is), due to the possibility that gay sexual acts were done for pure avoidance of getting females pregnant in Greek and Roman culture (correct me if wrong...). I swear I believe in god, or God. Whatever I give up *suicide*

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->

Do not make discussions with your Catholic family trying to logically explain the fact that gays were discriminated in the bible (whatever the ones for that sect of religion is), due to the possibility that gay sexual acts were done for pure avoidance of getting females pregnant in Greek and Roman culture (correct me if wrong...). I swear I believe in god, or God. Whatever I give up *suicide*
It would be a good idea if you value truth.

The Greeks were into homosexuality in general. The Greeks used to say that (romantic) love was between men, not between women. They also had a tradition that it was a good way to raise a teenage man, by getting him an older role model to hang with, who would teach him about life, and sex, by having sex with him. There were quite a few rules about it, about how old the mentor could be, and how old the protege could be. There was even a fine, IIRC, if the mentor continued to have sex with the protege when the mentor or the protege was too old for it. It's also one reason why the Olympic Games were so popular. They were done nude, partially so the spectators could gawp at the beauty of the naked men competing.

Another reason why it would be inaccurate, is that if you didn't want to get your wife pregnant, you could simply give her a cup of certain drugs, mixed up from certain herbs, that were known to cause infertility. Then she couldn't get pregnant. Solves the problem entirely. If you still wanted to have kids, you'd get 2 wives: a beautiful wife who you gave the cup of infertility to, and a second one to have the children. This would not violate the laws of the OT, because the OT was written down by Jews, and according to them, it's only the man who has a responsibility to bear children. A Jewish woman can choose to be sterilised according to Jewish law. So, still no problem. There's actually some accounts of this, IIRC. It was a common situation back then. So there really was no need for this at all.

So again, it would be unwise to say this, unless of course, your intent would be to spread falsehood and irrationality around the world. Probably not your intent. But probably the intent of those who ensured this meme became popular. Makes people think irrationally to accept stuff like this, because it violates basic reason, and that in turn means such people who accept this, would accept similar irrational ideas. Makes them easy to control.

Variform

Banned
Local time
-->

It would be a good idea if you value truth.

The Greeks were into homosexuality in general.

What an informative post. I did not know it was this ingrained in their society.

But let me note, that I think women played a little more important role. I don't think it was the man who had much knowledge of herbs to prevent pregnancy. I think this was a knowledge passed on from woman to woman. Mother to daughter methinks.

rushgirl2112

Local time
Today 4:32 AM
-->

To assume the existence of something for which there is no proof requires faith.

To assume the non-existence of something for which there is no proof requires no faith.

Disbelief in God is exactly the same as disbelief in things like invisible flying pink unicorns circling the air above your house. Is anyone going to tell me that thinking they're wrong means that I'm claiming to know everything about the universe? I don't think so.

kris

thbbft
Local time
-->

To assume the non-existence of something for which there is no proof requires no faith.

I agree. This is how we generally operate, and for good reason. There are infinite propositions which fall into the realm of 'not impossible'; we are incapable of entertaining everything which fits into that category. Realistically, we need a threshold where we reject certain propositions as baseless for any use other than mental masturbation.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->

What an informative post. I did not know it was this ingrained in their society.
From what I've read, it goes much deeper. Respect and love of men and disrespect of women seems to me, to cut right across Greek society and Roman society, in all sorts of subtle ways.

But let me note, that I think women played a little more important role. I don't think it was the man who had much knowledge of herbs to prevent pregnancy. I think this was a knowledge passed on from woman to woman. Mother to daughter methinks.
IIRC, there was no knowledge of herbs to prevent pregnancy, only a knowledge of herbs that cause permanent infertility. It was usually used by a single woman, to retain her figure, and keep her desirable to her husband. That could not be passed down easily from mother to daughter, because usually, mothers would teach their daughters to do what they had done themselves, and if they had, they probably wouldn't have had any daughters to teach.

Variform

Banned
Local time
-->

I believe that women talk to each other and had their own rituals and (secret) knowledge separate from men. I think they knew the right herbs. Out of ancient history. I think women in the neolithic already had this knowledge.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->

I believe that women talk to each other and had their own rituals and (secret) knowledge separate from men. I think they knew the right herbs. Out of ancient history. I think women in the neolithic already had this knowledge.
I guess it depends on if you are familiar with a culture that values oral knowledge and keeps records of such things. I do. That's why I mentioned it, because my culture does have records of it.

Variform

Banned
Local time
-->

I guess it depends on if you are familiar with a culture that values oral knowledge and keeps records of such things. I do. That's why I mentioned it, because my culture does have records of it.

Any culture back then relied on oral traditions. But even that matters little, because the men were the writers, not women. So they had to maintain their knowledge orally. I think actually, considering this, that this knowledge was probably among, if not the first practical knowledge right after we gained self-awareness as a species.

When a woman comes out of the animal mind and starts to realize her position and role in society, one of the things she will recognize is her own sexual preferences. She will like to be with that guy, not the other. The maternal instinct will resist having offspring with a man she doesn't like.

And so as she gathers and the men hunt, she will find herbs that need to be tested for edibility. And she will sample them and feel the effects in her body. If she is pregnant and the fruit is driven out, she will start to notice and yap yap yap, other women in the tribe will know it too. And they will have experimented with it and then used it to their advantage.

You could defend the position that this knowledge helped shaped our future, because no longer would the toughest, most brutal and dominant male be taking any woman against their will or not, necessarily, but it would not lead to a successful copulation, that is one out of which a child springs.

And so women would choose who they preferred and that means a higher chance for the 'nerd' of the group. Women with self-awareness will not automatically choose a partner that will defend their kids from other males, because I don't think in human societies other men killed the babies of others, such as bears do e.g. So the 'nerds' in the group over time has a higher percentage of successful copulations, increasing other traits such as intelligence over time.

The Void

Banned
Local time
-->
how dare he insult Goat simulation T_T
I am so lonely, I only have enemies.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Re: I lost another friend

Say five Hail Marys before you go to bed tonight.

Base groove

Banned
Local time
Today 2:32 AM
-->
Re: I lost another friend

I am hijacking your unwanted thread to post trivial fluff for my own amusement.

Please change the title to reflect this:

"I lost another thread"

The Void

Banned
Local time
-->
I lost another thread

Y you do this, Base Groove?

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->
Re: I lost another thread

I know you think I'm going to answer you, but I'm not.

~ The following content has been removed from this post by the author: ~

I know you think I'm going to answer you, but I'm not.

~ At 0707 04/11/2014 ~

The previous content has been deleted by TimeAsylums

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
Today 7:32 PM
-->

Wow, what a shocker. Now Base groove's ignoring you in your own thread that you lost.

The Void

Banned
Local time
-->

You don't know, you think you know.

The Void

Banned
Local time
-->

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->

There is only the void.

EDIT:

I think you know I think you know I think you know .....

that I'm going to answer you, but I'm not.

The Void

Banned
Local time
-->

Base Groove is my alternate account, deal with it mods.

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->

hello mods.

i am a previously banned member

ban my ip will you!?!?

The Void

Banned
Local time
-->

Hello mods, I am using two accounts parallely from my two pcs with different ips,
yes I am that desparate, now ban me and BG will you?

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->

I think you mean bannned.

The Void

Banned
Local time
-->

777th p0st hoohoo!
I am gonna celebrate this moment with Banzara Special Fried Rice and Korean Prawn!

The Void

Banned
Local time
-->
The Void defined

Many seems to don't understand the simple thing called The Void.
Here I explain it to you:
1511436_228697423992013_4042200898679237200_n.jpg

The Void

Banned
Local time
-->
Top Bottom