• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Sleepless Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
Today 4:54 AM
-->
They say if you stay awake for 72~ hours you can start hallucinating. I'm about half way there - who wants to go for the gold with me?

shoeless

I AM A WIZARD
Local time
Today 8:54 AM
-->
you can also start hallucinating by taping halved ping-pong balls over your eyes in even lighting and listening to white noise. so they say.

anyway, i'd join you, but i have school. makes things difficult.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
Aww, I feel cheated. I didn't sleep saturday night or sunday night, went to school yesterday, crashed around 6 pm...nothing.
What a bitch. I want some hallucinations.

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
I'm assuming you've reached the level-of-tiredness where everything is hilarious. If so, I recommend watching the Final Destination movies, their only redeeming quality is that they're some of the funniest movies ever made when viewed while semi-conscious.

I'd give it a shot if I hadn't stopped being a nocturnal nittlemugger only three days ago after two weeks of upside down life.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
Hilarious, not so much. I've just been in a strange mood, feeling unable to get myself to do anything - even sleep. I've been watching downloaded episodes of Dexter almost the entire waking period; perhaps not the healthiest show for someone in a lethargic state such as mine to watch.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
too scary for me. Why are you interested in this "experience"? ( my record was 2 days/nights btw )

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
I start hallucinating after 30 hours...

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
57~ hours now. I had the pleasure of going to a school orientation in my sleep deprived state today, that was kind of fun. It has certainly become a lot more difficult to partake in anything with even a small amount of complexity, and I will have forgotten what I'd just watched on TV after about an hour. Still no hallucinations though - but, I probably won't make it that far.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
I've only gone about 48 hours before. I would've gone farther if it was intentional, but the whole thing was just caused by insomnia and stress when I really *wanted* to sleep.

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
So what you're saying is I hallucinate real easily? Not sure whether to be troubled or proud of this.
In any case, it makes for some good stories if I remember it.
(Also, best way to induce hallucinations while overtired = do math.)

Mello

Gone.
Local time
Today 1:54 AM
-->
You should get some sleep and then take some shrooms the next day.

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
I have gone without sleep for looooong periods of time (due to general stupidity, procrastination, and projects, papers, etc)...yet rarely hallucinate. Closest I've come is this:

Because of working on a project over a weekend for a class I went into an extreme-level of focus...I didn't sleep for all of Friday night, Saturday, Sunday, and then Monday I had too much procrastinated other work to sleep, and then Tuesday I had time to but was unable to sleep (stress induced insomnia?) I felt actually okay on Wednesday morning..a little feverish and I felt paranoid, but I felt like I could go to my lecture hall class (never miss a single one). As soon as I was among other people, the problems started. I began to drift mentally, and when the person sitting to my left tried to say something to me, my paranoid, sleep-deprived, half-hallucinating self jumped up, and yelled at them for a while (I was told later that it was a whole bunch of jumbled, incoherent insults with sporadic mentions of "that goddamn computer" and how "everything is dying...all the time" (my computer crashed 2 times during my project---destroying my progress and my sanity)).

All that I remember is patches of this...I filled in the patches by asking other people what happened. Really what I remember is thinking the person was telling me "You're going to fail" and deciding to kill him for that. Lucky I didn't have any thing that could actually kill the guy.
I will never, ever, ever go without sleeping for that long again.

Interestingly, after this outburst, I passed out for the rest of the lecture hall (apparently they just left me there until the end of class).

I had so many dreams during that 45 min or so sleep. They were all just swirls of color, brief flashes of emotion, and this music that I had never heard before. I guess my brain was too dead to come up with anything else...but it really made me feel peaceful and happy when I woke up. Of course, soon after that, recalling what happened, that happy feeling went away and I had to explain to the professor (ironically, a psychology teacher) why that happened.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
I have since given up and slept - I must have made it around 60ish hours without sleep, but I didn't have any hallucinations. It was an interesting experiment. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I felt the 'tiredness' in the back of my eyes more then anything (probably doesn't help that they had been bloodshot as hell). It was difficult to grasp any thoughts more complex then just simple instinctual stuff, and my speech was even becoming slurred and full of studders and mispronunciations. I may have lasted longer, except I started class today and had to go to sleep last night (lame). I was hoping to go crazy...

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
As much fun as hallucinations might be (I can't really say as I haven't really had any, though I know a LOT of people who have), I don't recommend using sleep-deprivation as the means simply because of the possible dangers. That said, I'm perfectly happy to read about others' experiments with things I don't recommend.

Dave

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
Today 9:54 AM
-->
I work nights, so I often go 30-40 hours without sleep (30 hours at the moment but I'm going to bed now)

I actually kind of enjoy the effects of sleep deprivation , the periods when you can't really concentrate on anything, start shaking and feel paranoid and completely lost.

I find that the most fun thing you can do then, is walk and listen to acid jazz and wait to see the world fall apart right in front of your eyes. Never really happens, but one can dream.

What's also neat are the adrenalin highs you occasionally get, when your brain starts working like crazy attempting to stay awake, and you see the world and the people around you with amazing clarity, you get brilliant, though mostly useless ideas, and you just laugh and talk and love the whole wide world without even thinking about it.

Come to think of it, sleeping is for suckers, I think I'll stick around for a few more hours, just in case the world decides to end today.

Crazythinker1

Quiet, I'am thinking
Local time
-->
If you all want to hallucinate, try an acid trip. :matrix:

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
If you all want to hallucinate, try an acid trip. :matrix:

You are a cheeky little one, aren't you?

This is just the same as telling a person who wants to climb the Mount Everest to go by helicopter instead of walking, because let's face it, the view from the top is the same.

Except, there is no way the view can be the same if you've spent days grinding your teeth, cursing the bloody mountain and wishing yo could breed properly and if you just landed there after a half-hour flight.

Same here, popping a trip is never the same as going trough all to wonderful stages of sleep-deprivation induced paranoia, disorientation, adrenalin rushes, and the desperate desire to just lay down and finally get some sleep.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against acid, it's just that I really don't think anyone should be dismissing a perfectly effective way of distorting reality this easily.

JUN

Watching the Watchers
Local time
-->
I doubt the view you will get from sleep deprivation is the same you will get from an acid voyage. And I mean... REALLY REALLY doubt it. In fact, there's no way that will ever happen.
And if that did happen to you, it's most likely because you are doing it wrong, just saying.

Also: Sleep deprivation hallucinations are not fun at all, I don't understand why any of you would want to have any of those. They're terrible, most of them involve gigantic paranoia events because your brain starts sort of shutting down, you're trembling, every noise you hear becomes a whole new world and there's a huge multitude of dimensions to every single object and thought.

It's not pleasant, perhaps when you read this (or the previous post) you will find it "interesting" or "curious" but it's... not. Definitely not (then again I already suffer from hallucinations regularly so I don't really think there's anything fun about fucked up hallucinations and other related bullshit).

Just don't do it, acids is incredibly more pleasant and MUCH much easier to take/reach a peak and, surprisingly enough, control.

Crazythinker1

Quiet, I'am thinking
Local time
-->
Allisa, you misunderstood me. What I was saying was, if you want a really top drawer hallucination, try tripping off of acid.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
Also: Sleep deprivation hallucinations are not fun at all, I don't understand why any of you would want to have any of those. They're terrible, most of them involve gigantic paranoia events because your brain starts sort of shutting down, you're trembling, every noise you hear becomes a whole new world and there's a huge multitude of dimensions to every single object and thought.

It's not pleasant, perhaps when you read this (or the previous post) you will find it "interesting" or "curious" but it's... not. Definitely not (then again I already suffer from hallucinations regularly so I don't really think there's anything fun about fucked up hallucinations and other related bullshit).

Just don't do it, acids is incredibly more pleasant and MUCH much easier to take/reach a peak and, surprisingly enough, control.

If you don't think there's anything fun about fucked up hallucinations and other related bullshit why recommend acid? If you already have hallucinations, why bother with sleep deprivation or acid? You thought it might even things out or something?

As for sleep deprivation not being fun, you just need to learn how to ride it.

Allisa, you misunderstood me. What I was saying was, if you want a really top drawer hallucination, try tripping off of acid.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I might have overreacted. I think acid is pretty cool every once in a while, but I I've lived with sleep deprivation for a few years now and I'm rather fond of the effect :storks: So I tend to get defensive I guess :o

JUN

Watching the Watchers
Local time
-->
If you don't think there's anything fun about fucked up hallucinations and other related bullshit why recommend acid? If you already have hallucinations, why bother with sleep deprivation or acid? You thought it might even things out or something?

As for sleep deprivation not being fun, you just need to learn how to ride it.

Hm, read what you just said,
find the contradiction,
win.

Also, one thing is having paranoid/schizophrenic related hallucinations and another is taking acids, which can be controlled and therefore produce really happy results, I never had a bad experience with them, clearly you also don't have the slightest clue on what you're talking about. And I never mentioned that I still do acids, or how I started having hallucinations or that they're even remotely related, just that I have hallucinations naturally and that sleep deprivation hallucinations aren't nearly as potent as the ones induced by acids.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
Hm, read what you just said,
find the contradiction,
win.

Also, one thing is having paranoid/schizophrenic related hallucinations and another is taking acids, which can be controlled and therefore produce really happy results, I never had a bad experience with them, clearly you also don't have the slightest clue on what you're talking about. And I never mentioned that I still do acids, or how I started having hallucinations or that they're even remotely related, just that I have hallucinations naturally and that sleep deprivation hallucinations aren't nearly as potent as the ones induced by acids.

Being in control and winning is all that matters, isn't it? Congratulations.

And I never said sleep deprivation induced hallucinations are as potent as acid trips, I just said that sleep deprivation is a completely different experience, and for me it's one worth having.

NeverAmI

2^(1/12)
Local time
Today 3:54 AM
-->
I doubt the view you will get from sleep deprivation is the same you will get from an acid voyage. And I mean... REALLY REALLY doubt it. In fact, there's no way that will ever happen.
And if that did happen to you, it's most likely because you are doing it wrong, just saying.

Are you implying everyone's experience will be the same or have you researched this?

To the OP: I am lucky if I can stay up for 12 hours without falling asleep! Props on 60 hours. My temper completely dissolves if I am suffering from a signfiicant lack of sleep. I would completely shut down well before the 30 hour mark without some sort of massive stimulant for sure.

JUN

Watching the Watchers
Local time
-->
I have not exactly "researched", I have read articles on both and I know people who have gone through sleep deprivation including me. That's how I've reached my conclusions.

NeverAmI

2^(1/12)
Local time
Today 3:54 AM
-->
I have not exactly "researched", I have read articles on both and I know people who have gone through sleep deprivation including me. That's how I've reached my conclusions.

Ah, thanks! At what point did you and your friends start experiencing the paranoia and hallucinations? Were you using stimulants at the time?

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I've stayed up till 3am the past 2 days, it's starting to take a toll.

Moniker

Local time
-->
I've stayed up the past few days as well, but my sleeping is pretty hectic anyway... But I gotta sleep tonight! (despite it being already 2 AM and I have to be up in six hours) I'll get some rest...

Eventually. Probably in the form of sleeping for 15+ hours for a few days straight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom