• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Random Thoughts Thread

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:10 AM
-->
If you gave intelligence to a worm, it would probably kill itself after realizing the terrible futility of its life. Crawling around in the dirt – that's its happy way of life, but only as long as it is under the illusion about the importance of that activity. Similarly, if you gave intelligence to every human out there, most of them would also probably kill themselves.

Moral of the story: pick good illusions to live by.

Nebulous

Local time
Today 4:10 AM
-->
Scandinavia looks like a dick
scandinavia-600.png

0neKiwi

Unstable
Local time
Today 2:10 AM
-->
A whole pizza in Korea can cost up to 35 bucks. The f***?

It's valuable. Valuable things cost much more than invaluable things.:storks:

________

I don't see what's wrong with explaining to a 4-yr-old that 3*2 is 3+3. It's not like I'm asking that child to do actual multiplication...:rolleyes:

Nebulous

Local time
-->
I have 86 tabs open oh my lord.
iPad is handeling it surprisingly well; not crashing or anything like the older iPad would
It bothers me because it seems 'wasteful'
But when I look through the tabs they're all things I want to keep open

A bunch of ukulele chords
Articles and blogs I want to read
Videos I want to watch
Photos that I wanted to link into a post I wanted to write on my blog but have since lost immediate interest in writing but still kinda want to because I went through the effort of finding the perfect photos
Google search results for a word just left open so I don't forget that that word exists and I wanted to check it out more in depth

What do I do

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
-->
I'm feeling very, very, very angry right now. I just wanted to express that safely.
I was in work, and spotted a potential issue as is my job so went to see someone to sort it before there are any shit storms. On my way, I was a little lost in thought about something (eh, I'm INTP, when am I not lost in thought), and neglected to notice the "wet paint" sign. OK, you can see where this is going. I have a little yellow paint on my foot and left a footprint.

Alright, so the first production manager who I'd gone to see laughed and said, "yeah, had to be you, eh? Ha! What have you got for me?" Fair enough. But the other decided to have a go at me, repeatedly saying, "God, there's some thick fucking cunt's around!" and kept on about it.

I don't know why in particular, I've been called worse, but I'm just really, really, really, really, wanted to out poor a vast quantity of pent up anger upon him. I just smiled quietly and left before I did so. Probably just due to some stressful event recently and I just had to pay a large fine for something I didn't do.

I think I'm also pissed off because he wouldn't speak to someone like that if he didn't have managerial power - that "I'm higher and better than you" really get's on my nerves.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
why is everyone so obssesed about being evil?
i am watching house of cards atm and everyone is doing all kind of bad shit to everyone, and i know for sure there are people out there learning from it, emulating it
"the road to power" - damn yesssssss
no hope for humanity

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The slave trades his freedom for predictability of his future. Somehow he considers that a good trade even when the future entails him being a slave. This is called employment nowadays.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 9:10 AM
-->
are more people overconfident than overly intimidated and if so, why? first thought: perhaps overconfidence is both provoked and rewarded by stress/violence in the distance (school/society, etc) and intimidation is caused by having boundaries crossed in intimate contexts (parents/child). and today parents are more likely to act emphatic towards kids, than whole groups of people are to enact humanistic values. so narcissism remains but intimidation becomes more rare.

given that narcissism (maximum overconfidence) is a most severe developmental block (the whole personality is locked into a bubble), while schizoid PD (maximum intimidation) is closer to being like a developmental tunnel (much of the personality remains unaffected), it seems unlikely that the more severe disorder could be caused by more distant circumstances, society.

but i think the parents of the narcissist are required to impose the worldly circumstances onto the child, making them intimately real to the child, in early phases of childhood.

i am thinking of parents who are rough, materialistic, distressed, most removed from the present moment, reflecting violence in their worklife, society, possibly bombs dropping on their town, food being scarce, alcoholism, drug criminality, etc. the structural disorder is touching the child in the form of rough touches and noise devoid of personal meaning. the child kicks and screams, it fights, it expands its will and penetrates into the unwelcomming void. narcissism is born. parents need to be only careless or primitive to make no effort to shield the child from such stress, to even enact their stress randomly and somewhat naturally (albeit primitively) instead.

so rather than thinking of it as a dichotomy of distance of relationships, like family vs school, a different model is needed to understand this better, the model of first, second and third perspective.

in that hypothesis, narcissism appears to be a disorder provoked by circumstances in the third person realm, the realm of material, concrete, physical conflict, which is very real to even a baby and requires no analytic comprehension, to be bothersome. so a circumstantial disorder can condition the most early levels.

and shizioid/avoidant PD appears to be a disorder provoked by circumstances in the second person realm, which probably requires a basic amount of analytic awareness, namely an idea of boundaries, so an environmental disorder here will only begin to imprint itself on the person once it perceives itself as a distinct person, which is a later stage. parents need to have very particular dominant behavioral patterns to consequently intimidate their child. it doesn't just happen without intend.

that was meant to be a very short post

its really just a fleeting hypothesis and i am not sure if it aligns with the data at all ...

soupymess

kick trees
Local time
-->
The redemptive power of other people. Finding a way out and making sense of each other all while suspended in language and who knows what else. Fucking incredible.

Why isn't it advertize

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 3:10 AM
-->
If you gave intelligence to a worm, it would probably kill itself after realizing the terrible futility of its life. Crawling around in the dirt – that's its happy way of life, but only as long as it is under the illusion about the importance of that activity. Similarly, if you gave intelligence to every human out there, most of them would also probably kill themselves.

Moral of the story: pick good illusions to live by.

Sorry, but just because a worm has self awareness does not necessitate that it would hate its fate. That may be their initial thought process, but there is nothing to say that the worm will stay with that thought process. After all, how do you know that the worm will not see its talents and uses in how it fits into the world?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Sorry, but just because a worm has self awareness does not necessitate that it would hate its fate. That may be their initial thought process, but there is nothing to say that the worm will stay with that thought process. After all, how do you know that the worm will not see its talents and uses in how it fits into the world?
I agree. I think my post was written by a sleep-deprived and nihilistic Serac.

I would rephrase Camus and say: The struggle itself is enough to fill a worm's heart. One must imagine the worm happy.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
two of my "visual curiosity thingys" aka art, (i think i posted them in the emotional picture thread) were picked for an exhibition in a gallery. woooo, cool stuff man, even if the event is an underground thing, still finally feel like an artist.
i'll keep looking for contests like this, i found out that the competition motivates me a lot so inspiration flows smoothly.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Comment read by Honest trailers.

"Sometimes when I close my eyes, I cannot see"

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Tech companies nowadays are all like "Come join us! We're funky and hip because we're casual and we're wearing jeans at work. We have a pool table and even a fridge with free coke in it".

Fuck off. Just because you get to act like a bunch of manchildren doesn't mean you're not corporate slaves.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Tech companies nowadays are all like "Come join us! We're funky and hip because we're casual and we're wearing jeans at work. We have a pool table and even a fridge with free coke in it".

Fuck off. Just because you get to act like a bunch of manchildren doesn't mean you're not corporate slaves.

If I was able to understand computers and work for such a company I would be really happy. When I had my job as a janitor I want so unhappy. My brain does not function right but I still need intellectual stimulation. If I could make a software product that did what it was designed for I would have a sense of accomplishment. Also, I would probably have coworkers that would hang out. As a janitor, no one talked to me for over two years. Some jobs are just better than others.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 9:10 PM
-->
Why the fuck am I back here?

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
i've been thinking about how to earn my life without spending 8 hours at work every fucking day until i die, a friend proposed me to invest in some slovaquian enterprise similar to airbnb and do some marketing shit for them, he would help me. the other option is to win the lottery or get some recognition in arts which seems unlikely.
i need to do smth. any ideas please share.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 9:10 PM
-->
Hey AK! Long time no see dude. How have you been?

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
how is it possible in 2017 that some people earn their living by writting?
i think i could do well writting creatively, like using 80% metaphors and bullcrap to fill the small idea i want to comunicate

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Hey AK! Long time no see dude. How have you been?

normals things,

had a mental break down

might have seizers (not the ones you fall down)

my doctor wants me to have a brain scan

watched lots of fun videos,

trying to meditation the pain away.

felt tingly pleasure several times.

sleep deprivation

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
normals things,

had a mental break down

might have seizers (not the ones you fall down)

my doctor wants me to have a brain scan

watched lots of fun videos,

trying to meditation the pain away.

felt tingly pleasure several times.

sleep deprivation

damn man, everytime i read you i think you are a normal person but why is your life / brain so fucked up?, keep pushing man!
this also makes me wonder if relating more and more with what i read here means the gap between me and real life people wil never reduce to what it used to be once

Crystabelle

Local time
-->
i've been thinking about how to earn my life without spending 8 hours at work every fucking day until i die, a friend proposed me to invest in some slovaquian enterprise similar to airbnb and do some marketing shit for them, he would help me. the other option is to win the lottery or get some recognition in arts which seems unlikely.
i need to do smth. any ideas please share.

What are your skills?

(Regardless, I suggest WWE professional wrestler.)

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
What are your skills?

(Regardless, I suggest WWE professional wrestler.)

Can't say my whole CV here but i have experience working as accountant, which I hate, as editor, graphic and audiovisual content and managing databases. Then a lot of specific things in each field, and some stuff not related but I had to do because no one would. I am usually hired to do something and i always end up involved in some side project doing shit I don't even understand.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

Crystabelle

Local time
-->
Why do I hate reading Aristotle's writings so much? Is it b/c I'm an ESFJ? Is it b/c I never read/studied philosophy before and it just takes time to get used to? Is it b/c of the style it's written in (reminds me of something similar to King James version of the Bible)?

Kinda just rhetorical & a random though but also kinda not.

If you know of any dumbed down aids for Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, help a sista out.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Why do I hate reading Aristotle's writings so much? Is it b/c I'm an ESFJ? Is it b/c I never read/studied philosophy before and it just takes time to get used to? Is it b/c of the style it's written in (reminds me of something similar to King James version of the Bible)?

If you know of any dumbed down aids for Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, help a sista out.

it is because filosophy is boring.
what i do is check out youtube videos with the essencial points of every philosoper
there are some interesting writings tho, like zaratusta, i thought it was so freak it was cool and because it's a story where u can grasp a meaning, so it's not so much as if someone is telling you how life should be like.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I got to meet a guy with a doctorate in particle physics. Interesting guy, lives a simple life.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

I thought the "Introducing..." series was pretty good to give you an overview on all the major philosophers out there. Looks like they have published the series under a new cover since I picked them up, but here's the current (?):

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Aristotle-Graphic-Rupert-Woodfin/dp/1848311699

I mean, to really grasp the guy, you'd have to read his stuff in detail, but the overview can help give you a sense of what he was about.

... I loved reading the KJV as a kid, it felt like a puzzle I was trying to decipher. But a lot of my peers had trouble with the language. Once you grasp how it uses words and the basic syntax, it becomes easier. While the modern translations like NIV might be more transparent and even more accurate (as far as describing the actual text) in some situations, the KJV prose tends to be more beautiful.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Just came across a job description that includes this line:
On a personal level, you are extrovert and curious with great interpersonal skills.
Should ask them if they prefer judging- or perceiving extroverts?

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
wtf my phone just broke down, it's not turning on, i think i used the wrong charger fuck my life, this means i will have to buy a new one asap
also i need to buy a new laptop i destroyed it using the wrong charger

around 1000 euros or more for this shit wtf man wtf

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
got an Obama phone this Friday
yay, I can call people now.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
My Ancestry DNA results came in.

33% Scandinavian
26% East European
23% West European
8% Iberian Peninsula
>1% Caucasus (East Asia)

No idea where the other 10% went. :confused:

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
-->
My Ancestry DNA results came in.

33% Scandinavian
26% East European
23% West European
8% Iberian Peninsula
>1% Caucasus (East Asia)

No idea where the other 10% went. :confused:

I went with 23&me, I got

33% Native American
24% British/Irish
18% Iberian
7% French/German
2% sub Saharan African
Traces of yakut, MENA, Ashkenazi, Scandinavian, sardinian.
The rest being "broadly east Asian/Native American", "broadly southern European" and "broadly nw European"

Top Bottom