• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The option of an Intp dominant society: How bad do we want it?

If each MBTI personality type was to rule over a society, in which would you rather live in?

• INTP

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • ISTP

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • ENTP

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • ENFP

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • ISFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • INTJ

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • INFJ

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • ESTJ

• ENTJ

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • ENFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • ISTJ

• ISFJ

• ESTP

• ESFP

• Total voters

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
Today 10:33 AM
-->
There is a contradiction in terms for the first option - INTPs ruling over society...

brandmaus

Local time
Today 8:33 AM
-->
yes Coolydudey, but the society could be a small scale one - in the question that's left open. By 'society' therefore one can even think of just a community, a school, etc. Also, there are iNTPs scoring higher on the Judging function than average.

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
-->
Understanding when someone is not too serious is a skill that perhaps you should pick up.
I voted INTP by the way, but INTJ might have been better...

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 9:33 PM
-->
I don't know...everyone can be stupid and careless...or judgmental and cruel...

I think a society of any of those types could be great if they are mature, self-aware, and somewhat conscientious about how they live their lives.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 12:33 AM
-->
I was kinda thinking, compared to this particular American society I guess, that INTP was like a prototype personality amongst the first humans, but time went on and stuff and societies came to be, extroverts started to become more dominant - all this because of nature, basically, if you can fill in the blanks. What we're seeing now is the remnants... INTP being one of the "rarest" types and whatnot.
That's not to say an INTP can't adjust to society... Just assuming it might be more stressful & stuff. Not sure how much thought was put into this, but a lot of things would have to be considered if anyone cared to prove or disprove it. Not that I care or it even matters... It probably isn't even true anyway.

"INTPs have some things in common with INFPs, but INTPs are better than INFPs in every imaginable way, and also in several ways that aren't imaginable. However, his type will soon go extinct anyway, due to their inability to talk tohttps://encyclopediadramatica.se/Truth anyone."

brandmaus

Local time
-->
Coolydudey, I got the joke but you just can't know who you're talking to. I think I'd vote for INTJ too, as a second choice, cz I firstly wanna see that INTP one happen.

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
-->
Coolydudey, I got the joke but you just can't know who you're talking to. I think I'd vote for INTJ too, as a second choice, cz I firstly wanna see that INTP one happen.

You didn't realise I was talking to myself...;)

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 9:33 AM
-->
why keep INTP as poll option?

i thought it wasn't so i picked INFJ. otherwise, INTP of course. :)

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
Today 3:33 AM
-->
This is a bad idea. Maybe not any worse than any other idea though.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 9:33 PM
-->
"INTPs have some things in common with INFPs, but INTPs are better than INFPs in every imaginable way, and also in several ways that aren't imaginable. However, his type will soon go extinct anyway, due to their inability to talk tohttps://encyclopediadramatica.se/Truth anyone."

[bimgx=200]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37349864.jpg[/bimgx]

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
This forum is majority INTPs, and is pretty much an INTP-ruled society. Lots her expressed they want a neural interface, AIs, FTL travel, and much, much more. What could they do? Work together, and solve these problems, and implement them. What exactly have they got done together?

Do I want to live in a society that is as "productive" as this one?

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
-->
Cooleydudey, I kinda did, but the being a host duty overshadowed.

YES! You didn't get my joke this time: it was a coverup for the fact that I didn't realise you realised I was being serious. By saying I was talking to myself, I cover this fact up(even though this it is the truth), which is the joke.

brandmaus

Local time
-->
YES! You didn't get my joke this time: it was a coverup for the fact that I didn't realise you realised I was being serious. By saying I was talking to myself, I cover this fact up(even though this it is the truth), which is the joke.

If you're Intp and we're both perceiving then I thought of many ways in which you might have first spoken in, and you can out-maneuver me many times in what I will say so Cooleydudey, come on! More relevant is just the choice I made on how to answer, not my reading of your intentions etc.

brandmaus

Local time
-->
"INTPs in the main are not clannish. The INTP mailing list, with a readership now in triple figures, was in its incipience fraught with all the difficulties of the Panama canal: we had trouble deciding: whether or not there should be such a group, exactly what such a group should be called, and which of us would have to take the responsibility for organization and maintenance of the aforesaid group/club/whatever." - from some internet Intp portrait.

Rainer

Eater
Local time
-->
I think INTP rulers might make the nation more fun and less stressful. Most SPs would like the freedom and relaxed attitude of our nation, while wondering why their rulers are such dorks and blather on about the boring philosophical issues behind our decisions. SJs would absolutely loathe us for not subscribing to stupid ideologies and traditions. NTJs would hate us for executing our rule in a what they would consider to be a half-assed manner, even if they'd agree with our philosophy, while NFs would dislike our cold, critical attitudes, but they'd like our attention to the why of it all.

But ultimately, I think most people would be happier in our society than they are now, as long as their basic needs could be provided for. And in the long term, futurist INTP might do a better job with that than the short-term SJ leadership we have now.

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
INFP.
They will truly act with their heart and for your interest.

Ow shit, Maybe I would rather want ISFP. They are great too... Ohwell.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
I feel weird, having been the only one to be put ISFJ. It is truthfully a shitty question, though, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
I think the question would be a lot more interesting if you had to pick a combo of two types to rule the world.

Or top three combos!

1. INTP/ENFJ
2. INFJ/ENTP
3. INTJ/ENFP

Regarding single types, all of them would fail miserably, but INFJ's and INTJ's are probably the best bet simply because they are likely the best at maintaining control, setting objectives, and sticking to da plan. Else INTP.

brandmaus

Local time
-->
Cherry Cola I thought of forming combos of two or more, but admittedly by the time I wanted to make the post I didn't know when I'll get time to properly think on it, so I just kinda let it up to the forumers in a way.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
I dunno man. I think those two types more than any other would have trouble cooperating rather than balancing on another out. Plus the INFP isn't practical and the ENTJ is prone to pidgeonholing people, lacking the intuitive grasp of human nature required for efficient long time governing.

They really like to dismiss people worldviews much too hastily what with their self assured Te/Ni dom and aux, and their categorical inferior Fi doesn't help. Could potentially lead to catastrophic long term decisions despite being effective at specific stuff short term.

With the INFP it feels more like they'd need the longest term ever to get anything done.

/Preconceptionspewer 30 000 metal

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 9:33 AM
-->
I dunno man. I think those two types more than any other would have trouble cooperating rather than balancing on another out. Plus the INFP isn't practical and the ENTJ is prone to pidgeonholing people, lacking the intuitive grasp of human nature required for efficient long time governing.

They really like to dismiss people worldviews much too hastily what with their self assured Te/Ni dom and aux, and their categorical inferior Fi doesn't help. Could potentially lead to catastrophic long term decisions despite being effective at specific stuff short term.

hahaha yes

Irishpenguin

Local time
Today 2:33 AM
-->
When I look at this list all I see is basically "Which choice will make the world come to an end slower than all of the others"

Or I guess maybe somebody would want to choose the personality that would make the world end faster? Ya'know, the whole, "Get it over and done with" mentality. :rip:

Etheri

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I voted ESFJ.

Why? Because for one, if everyone within society was like me, then my lifestyle wouldn't be sustainable whatsoever. I need other people doing their other stuff in their diffrent ways. Make lots of money. Have lots of fun. Sprew their emotions and opinions everywhere... Whatever drives them. I'm an introvert, most of the time, I don't give a crap about others / society.

I honestly think society gives me a LOT currently, and I believe my society is ESFJ dominant, so it's fair to stick with this. I can sample the pleasures society offers when I like, and I can retreat and tell society to GTFO whenever I don't feel like pleasing their needs.

Random thought : I'm sure INTPs COULD, potentially, rule much better than avarage. However, I'm also convinced that if I wanted to, I could study computer science and chemistry eng. both at once... Truth is i'm slacking so much I barely keep up with chem engineering. It's not about what we're 'capable of', it's about what we'd actually do. And we wouldn't do jack shit, because we're always doing something else. I would not want to live in a society ruled by INTPs, cause they'd probably be lazy bastards. I would however enjoy a society with more INTPs and less stigmas.

Lucifer van Satan

Local time
-->
A humble, non-vain, intelligent, open minded and capable person would do.
INTPs easily fall into this category (the ones I know, at least).
INTJs, the second choice, would be a lot more sure of themselves and would be harder for them to accept that they made a mistake or to do things via "trial and error" which should be an essence of dealing with complex systems like the modern society (which should be guided with a heuristic such as Ti, in which INTPs again have the upper hand).

What do you think about this, guys?

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 3:33 PM
-->
Bad idea. Just switch MBTI type with skin color and you'll get the repercussions of what you're trying to do. Anyways, I prefer to be lead by a gov't based on their merits and not what they were born with (Say gender, personality profile, etc.)

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Bad idea. Just switch MBTI type with skin color and you'll get the repercussions of what you're trying to do. Anyways, I prefer to be lead by a gov't based on their merits and not what they were born with (Say gender, personality profile, etc.)

Well, my only disagreement there is I think personality has a far more direct impact on behavior than gender or skin color.

But otherwise, I'm not much for picking people based on a priori traits. I'd rather judge people by merits. I also don't like homogeneous environs as much, I like a more diverse atmosphere for most things. A government where everyone was in the same narrow category not only puts me off a bit in its blandness and inability to consider multiple approaches but would be easily derailed since everyone has all the same weaknesses.

ActiveMind

Local time
-->
I think hierarchical thinking is the reason why people feel the need to 'rule' over others and why society is the way it is now. Therefore, I think the question should be rather, which types, objectively, are best suited for improving society?

ummidk

Local time
-->
I think INTP's would be one of the last types to attempt to rule over a society. Also probably one of the most likely types to incite rebellion in its society members for lack of appeasement. Its also entirely possible a group of INTPs would be hard strained to get anything done if they have differing, underlying assumptions.

This being said I don't think any type could effectively rule a society as well as all types. I'd probably propose an N dominant government, because elected offcials should be capable of considering the future implications of their actions.

I was kinda thinking, compared to this particular American society I guess, that INTP was like a prototype personality amongst the first humans, but time went on and stuff and societies came to be, extroverts started to become more dominant - all this because of nature, basically, if you can fill in the blanks. What we're seeing now is the remnants... INTP being one of the "rarest" types and whatnot.
That's not to say an INTP can't adjust to society... Just assuming it might be more stressful & stuff. Not sure how much thought was put into this, but a lot of things would have to be considered if anyone cared to prove or disprove it. Not that I care or it even matters... It probably isn't even true anyway.

This paragraph...is the best :)

mu is mu

Local time
-->
What percentage of poll participants voted for their own personality type, I wonder?

Under the constraints of this hypothetical scenario, I would prefer ENTJs. However, I imagine that if leadership was granted exclusively to people of a single personality type, then major problems would ensue.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 1:33 AM
-->
ENTJ

They would recognize the need for diversity and would create and lead a multi-plural and tolerant society, and would solicit the INTP's to help architect it. Unfortunately most societies are run by ESTJ types who like to control the rest of us. I have an ESTJ father and trust me they both want power (because they fear chaos) and often aren't the best at this role because they don't always take other viewpoints into account. If you don't "measure up" (become a productive member of society) then they lose all respect for you.

Further, all of those who think INTP's would create the best society, you are cracked. That would be chaos.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Well look at Lincoln, he seems pretty intp'ish (just read the last words he said lol, sounds like you and your wife)? Guy seemed solid.

I would much rather have an INTP with advisors on top than an ENTJ, the latter is too much of a soloist in nature.

I may have a thing against ENTJ's because I've been interacting with unhealthy ones on other forums. They really are one of the types I oughta get a better grip on.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I may have a thing against ENTJ's because I've been interacting with unhealthy ones on other forums. They really are one of the types I oughta get a better grip on.

They can be rather intimidating, especially the unhealthy ones -- they'll see an opening and go for blood.

Basically, I've found it works to just stand up to them and anchor fast on the core conceptual truth (big picture) of the situation vs getting caught up sparring on tactical points they've twisted around to get leverage.

Not all ENTJs are that way, but they definitely like to lock down control on the individual points as well as their own favored view of the situation.

I think Lincoln's approach was pretty novel -- his cabinet was diverse and also full of people who didn't like him -- but you just have the right kind of temperament to deal with those kinds of interactions. He had trouble making headway for awhile due to all the dissent. He also had a lot of trouble with his generals; rationally, he wanted to trust them since he had given them the station to make decisions about the military, but so many times what they did didn't make sense to his big picture skills and logic.

Magus

Local time
-->
Further, all of those who think INTP's would create the best society, you are cracked. That would be chaos.

And probably short lived, but it would be glorious. Like the Solvay Congress on the RMS Titanic. :)

EvilBlitz

Local time
Today 7:33 PM
-->
I would have INTP(some ENTP might be allowed) behind the scenes think tank while sticking an INTJ/INFJ/ENTJ management team in place to implement current best understanding.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
I vote INTP, because ideas are good and producing them is even better.

"Yes we sit around and do nothing", but at least now we could do it and not get disturbed.

We need robots dough.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
It would be an interesting competition. Put 100 intps on one island and watch what will happen. We could find 16 islands and try it out on every type. My guess is that some of the extrovert islands would not last long. Some would be primitive.

Anling

Local time
Today 1:33 AM
-->
I don't think INTPs are usually suited to ruling. Each personality type is useful to society. I think that the type best suited to ruling at a particular time, would depend on what challenges the society is facing. And each type has its weaknesses that a competent leader would have to deal with, probably by having advisers of other types.

I actually like working with SJs. They'll do their part (of course there are lazy moochers among them as well). Brainstorming is easier with intuitives. Feelers will usually be better at understanding and getting along with other people. As long as the person in question is mature, any personality type could be successful. Though, not every type wants to be in charge. I hate it and would never want to be responsible for an entire business much less a country.

Top Bottom