• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Most Advanced Parasite

Local time
Today 1:31 AM
-->
DNA: It's so good it even builds its own host. :storks:

So let's take it a bit further. What if consciousness isn't contained within our brains, but within our DNA? And what of reproduction? WTF is that under these circumstances?

Alex_

Local time
-->
If consciousness is contained in DNA I loose a bit of my mind everyday in the form of hair loss, skin changing and occasional spitting.

Local time
-->
If consciousness is contained in DNA I loose a bit of my mind everyday in the form of hair loss, skin changing and occasional spitting.
What if consciousness is a manifestation of the collective synergy of all of your DNA (it is all the same. Well, the overwhelming majority anyway)?

For that matter, if this is the case, what is cancer?
Come! Prognosticate in ignorant amazement with me! It's great fun. Rabbit hole's on the left behind the bushes.

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
I'm not following you. What justifies the analogy that we are parasites in our own body?

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
Yesterday 5:31 PM
-->
I've thought of this a lot but in a different way. Form and function...how conceptually "God" (form) is a parasite that needs us (function) symbiotically in order to exist at all and to (logically) be eternal (evolve).

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 1:31 PM
-->
Well, in that case, cancer is a bad thought-form that proliferates at the cost of the total consciousness.

Placing the seat of consciousness in material building blocks overcomes the rather bothersome problem of defining a threshold at which consciousness arises. If we assume it is, then we need not identify the point at which it becomes. It always was, and the failure is one of recognition (measurement) rather than a problem of not knowing when something emerges from a bunch of un-something.

I rather like doing away with the 'abiogenesis' version of emergent consciousness. :D

Since DNA is a very particular arrangement of matter, we could say that each unique DNA code is the form of a unique consciousness, (yet one with others in a common 'super-consciousness' - the zeitgeist of passing ages), and that this code itself is the creature that parasitises matter in order to manifest. Physical manifestation permits permutations of consciousness to arise in offspring, thus flexibility of the data system in regards to change. Consciousness adapts, creates transformational waves that drive the need for adaption, adapts again.

Then we sit around as we get old (passing on our influence in continued cultural domination - hello bloody baby-boomers - which lucky generation will be wiping your asses!?) and tell the little ones we never had computers in our day :D

r4ch3l said it best.

Regarding symbiosis and parasitism - I wondered about that. By definition a parasite is of no benefit to its host. There would have to be some benefit for the flesh itself (matter) in being co-opted by DNA, for symbiosis to apply. Something analogous to two beings, in exchange. Are we better off as rocks? As humic acids? As vapour? What do we experience as matter that is improved by the arrangement into DNA and the products of DNA?

Matter is given an equal but subject relationship with spirit (information) - rendering life a symbiosis of the two. Yet information shapes unliving things too... or maybe they are not so unliving. Or unconscious.

:kodama1:

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
I'm pretty sure the word you're going for is "symbiotic".

But if something didn't choose to be here (me) couldn't I perceive my DNA as a parasite even if it is necessary for my being here?

The relationship is symbiotic but form precedes and necessitates function/implementation. But at the same time it is a chicken/egg thing and pointless to speculate...I eat and fuck because I want to but I want to because my DNA wants me to.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 2:31 AM
-->
I'm pretty sure the word you're going for is "symbiotic".

"A parasitic relationship is one in which one member of the association benefits while the other is harmed.[27] This is also known as antagonistic or antipathetic symbiosis."

oh and disclaimer: i am not intending to correct anyone just providing some wiki background, unsure whether habitatdoctor is hinting at true parasitism.

there should be a separate term for such symbiosis where both parts benefit from the association, but one member requires it while the other doesn't. perhaps there is. perhaps it would be redundant; i don't know if said phenomenon has been observed in nature.

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
i don't know if said phenomenon has been observed in nature.

Flies and Elephants. (?)
I've heard that once. They clean their back, and the flies have food to eat.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:31 PM
-->
But if something didn't choose to be here (me) couldn't I perceive my DNA as a parasite even if it is necessary for my being here?
You don't decide what's biologically good for you, you only decide you don't like it.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 2:31 AM
-->
Flies and Elephants. (?)
I've heard that once. They clean their back, and the flies have food to eat.

seems reasonable. i also thought there are some fishes that live off other fishes' dirt, too?

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
You don't decide what's biologically good for you, you only decide you don't like it.

Your usage of decide implies decision. Is there?
If there would indeed be something that decides, it would do so consciously. If nothing decides, then how is it valid?

And because indeed our consciousness is merely conscious, what we like, ergo what we value, defines what we consciously want. If we wouldn't want to be, then we wouldn't perceive our DNA as a parasite as we wouldn't value it as such.

Or yeah. Whatever. :D

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->

So I guess in that sense Camus was correct about suicide being the only "truly serious" philosophical problem.

Top Bottom