• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Last Jedi

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 10:48 PM
-->

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 6:48 PM
-->
I feel like lightsabers are a symbol for giant force dicks Jedi/Sith get to show off. Wonder what Freud would think.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Yesterday 11:48 PM
-->
It actually looks pretty damn good. Also seems like its going to be more of a dark theme.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 6:48 PM
-->
If Jar-Jar ends up being revealed as Snook, Luke goes to the dark side or becomes grey jedi, and Yoda uses his force ghost to play with and taunt everyone, this will be awesome. Sadly, I don't think either will happen.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 12:48 AM
-->
I could have forgiven Lucas for the debacle of PHantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (well, mostly forgiven) if it had become clear that Jar-Jar was really the dark lord of the Sith who had been sabotaging the alliance for the first two movies. Alas, no, he was just a loser.

The trailer is more of a teaser, it doesn't offer much substance.

But I'm hoping Johnson really digs into the meaning behind that last line.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 12:48 AM
-->
Good, I hate the trend of telling you the entire movie in the trailer.

Yeah, I was fine with this -- the movie is still what, eight months away? I don't WANT to know the whole plot.

It really sucks when you're in the theater with no way to escape, so the only way to block out bloated trailers that ruin the movie is to close your eyes and cover your ears (or play iPod music).

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
Today 4:48 AM
-->
I could have forgiven Lucas for the debacle of PHantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (well, mostly forgiven) if it had become clear that Jar-Jar was really the dark lord of the Sith who had been sabotaging the alliance for the first two movies. Alas, no, he was just a loser.

The trailer is more of a teaser, it doesn't offer much substance.

But I'm hoping Johnson really digs into the meaning behind that last line.
Yousah don't know power of dark side!
Yousah in big dooh-dooh this time!
[bIMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170421/feac6989f1f42d2400217bc0c67ab7ba.jpg[/bIMG]

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Personally, I had no problem with the philosophy but how it was done fucked everything up so you could not understand the emotion behind it. Just watch all the trailers. That is star wars because that is the emotions you should feel from it in the actual films.
The force awakens you get 60 percent of the emotional expectation
The last Jedi you get 15 percent of the emotional expectation.
That's what makes it bullshit, not exactly what wisecrack says.
If Rey has a dark side none of that was properly explored.
Everything seemed like filler as in it was just there to fill plot not connect with the theme.
Luke explaining things had no meaning behind it.
Han Solo explaining things in the force awaken has meaning behind it.
It was all random when it should have been meaningful.
No one making the last Jedi had any emotional intelligence at all.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - What Went Wrong? – Wisecrack Edition

Last edited:

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 5:48 PM
-->
Star Wars is a series of movies for 10yr old boys, every single aspect of the original trilogy and the prequels (except the Anakin/Padmé love scenes which nobody really liked) is designed to make 10yr old boys say "that's awesome".

Laser swords, awesome.
Force powers, awesome.
Droids, awesome.
Big stompy mecha, awesome.
Storm troopers, awesome.
Space ships, awesome.
Tauntauns, awesome.

Why did the droid army have a set-piece battle with the Gungans on Naboo despite having the means to blast them from orbit or at least strafe/bomb them with droid fighters?
BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME!!!

Why did the final Darth Maul fight take place in the most illogical location ever conceived?
BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME!!!

In The Last Jedi they did an amazing job of taking one of the most awesome settings, full of awesome things and awesome characters and stripping all the fun out of it. Luke's a grouchy old man that goes nowhere, does practically nothing, spends almost the entire movie berating the lead female protagonist for attempting to become a Jedi.

Poe's entire character is that he's an awesome fighter pilot ace and the plot does everything it can to shit on him for it, him being awesome at the start is turned into a bad thing, his awesome ship is blown up, his entirely justifiable mutiny is turned into another reason why he sucks, in the end his great epiphany is "we should run away".

All that mystery about who Rey is amounts to nothing, it's heavily implied that her getting stronger in the force is only making things worse, she's given a chance to do something interesting and immediately turns it down, in the end she lifts a shit-ton of rocks like it's nothing because it's not like Luke Fucking Skywalker one of the most gifted force users ever had to struggle to develop his force powers.

Princess Lia (who btw is the princess of precisely nothing) dies but then isn't dead but now the actress is dead so... yeah good luck with that.

To her credit Commander Gender Studies actually does contribute the most awesome scene in the entire movie, when she kills herself, my only regret is that she didn't first apologize to Poe for being an enormous bitch and that her death is treated like a tragedy when really nobody in the audience was sad about it.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
The trailers were awesome.
You felt the force flow through them.
Why could the movies not be as the trailers?

What will JJ Abrams do in Episode 9?
Think how awesome the trailers for 9 will be.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 5:48 PM
-->
Because the trailers don't tell a story, they're just a series of brief scenes, The Last Jedi had a lot of pretty visuals and you only need 3-5 second clips to show people the Millennium Falcon weaving through red crystal caves, ships in space firing, things exploding, animals being cute, people celebrating, etc. There's no context indeed the scenes shown in the trailers are intentionally shown without context so as not to give away the plot of the movie so it's really no indication of the quality of the story being told, or it is only in the sense that you can see a lot of money was spent making the movie so you assume it would be a story worth investing in.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Star Wars: The last cash grab.

If you want good sci-fi that's not just eye candy there's plenty of stuff out there now, it's been in a revival after being a dead theme for years.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Because the trailers don't tell a story,

The trailers convey the story through emotion that was supposed to carry into the movie.

Luke says "things will not go as you think" and "it did not scare me then, it does now".

The emotion behind that was powerful, even the "breath, just beath".

The music conveys emotion with everyone's voice in the trailer.

I build my life around the emotions of a story.

The trailers had deeper implications we did not see.

Sapphire Harp

Local time
-->
Trailers are like connect-the-dots. You get to draw whatever lines you want between these points to suggest the incredible movie you really want to see. Then, after the fact, you get to wonder what happened to all that potential.
But, seriously, I think the people who design and cut trailers are the most talented folks working in Hollywood.
That said, The Last Jedi was okay. It works at an entertainment level. After the fact contemplation, however, is the bane of this story. There's a couple very compelling moments in the movie, though, so be kind. Cog puts it well. Star Wars has always been for 10 year old boys. Any moments elevated above that, I would consider a success beyond the expected benchmark.
I did like the astral projection a lot. I thought that was the most imaginative addition, while also perfectly matching the existing mythos.
Also, let's be clear. It's sci-fantasy. Always has been. :soldier:

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:48 AM
-->
people are still throwing eggs at the Han solo movie.

Top Bottom