• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The joy of learning you are an INTP

LAM

Local time
Tomorrow 6:36 AM
-->
Remember that psycho-development is a process. Many of us found this place because we were in that stage of development when we finally realize there is a reason we are the way we are, that it's natural, and beneficial to mankind that we exist. Because the INTP archetype is so rare, individuals who identify as INTP often feel downtrodden, broken, neglected, and warred-against.

I shall quote this post, because it described my situation before I realised there was a reason for the way I am and that I am not some kind of crazy loony who nobody understood. Learning what I was helped me learn my strengths and my weaknesses and made me generally a lot happier and more confident. Now that I knew what I was missing I read books, for example on body language to help me improve at what I sucked at (knowing what people felt and also those "hints" I was so incredibly oblivious to :ninjahide: ) What did finding out you were an INTP do for you?

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 9:36 PM
-->
It made me want to not be one. Its a boring personality. :mad:

Pythia

Vagabond
Local time
Today 3:36 PM
-->
Its a boring personality.

I couldn't disagree more.

To me, finding out meant that I could finally stop trying to be someone I was not.

Irishpenguin

Local time
Today 3:36 PM
-->
It made me feel even more unique then I already felt, and that was cool. I never hated myself for "Not fitting in" I always just found it funny in a way, and discovering my MBTI just seemed neat in how it pinpointed very detailed aspects of my life...(It also help me find this forum)

LAM

Local time
-->
It made me want to not be one. Its a boring personality. :mad:

??? INTP is a boring personality??? I guess the thing is most INTPs don't do anything with their superior knowledge or sometimes intelligence. We hoard the knowledge and share minuscule bits of it on forums like this. Or with other intelligent people. I mean if you wanted to DO stuff no-ones stopping you :mad:
Anyways I read a lot of people on these forums did sports, including extreme sports so its not as if most INTPs even on this forum are boring in that sense. And intelligent conversation makes us intellectually stimulating/ exciting. And a lot of people on this forum got a good sense of humour (well, weird but still funny to lot of people ;) .)

LAM

Local time
-->
It made me feel even more unique then I already felt, and that was cool. I never hated myself for "Not fitting in" I always just found it funny in a way, and discovering my MBTI just seemed neat in how it pinpointed very detailed aspects of my life...(It also help me find this forum)

It showed me I didn't have to fit in. I knew then why I had somewhat of an obsession with fitting in and why I kept failing at it (heaps of physical bullying in kindergarten and early primary school was pretty bad for me :( .)

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
Today 1:36 PM
-->
It helped me to know that I'm officially AWESOME, and now I have an excuse to be better than everyone else, not my fault, I was born this way

just kidding:p

It actually let helped me find this forum, and get made fun of more because I have often neglected to hang out with "real" friends in order to go home and read new posts on here.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Before I found out I was an INTP, I would constantly question my own humanity. There were times where I would look at people and think "I'm not like them at all, how can I possibly be one of them? Which one of us is human?" I was basically Dr. Manhattan sans the god like powers.

So I guess it helped me be proud of what I was, and set aside those feelings of being an alien in my own home. I guess it also allowed me to be at peace with the rest of the people in the world as well, and not see them all as irrational idiots anymore.

Probably most important though, is that it gave me a road map on how to improve my weaknesses, which is something I had always been trying to accomplish anyway.

LAM

Local time
-->
Before I found out I was an INTP, I would constantly question my own humanity. There were times where I would look at people and think "I'm not like them at all, how can I possibly be one of them? Which one of us is human?" I was basically Dr. Manhattan sans the god like powers.

So I guess it helped me be proud of what I was, and set aside those feelings of being an alien in my own home. I guess it also allowed me to be at peace with the rest of the people in the world as well, and not see them all as irrational idiots anymore.

Probably most important though, is that it gave me a road map on how to improve my weaknesses, which is something I had always been trying to accomplish anyway.

Thats what I was trying to say before sans the questioning my own humanity part. I just felt like an outsider and different. Adymus explains better than I can :smiley_emoticons_mr

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
Today 4:36 PM
-->
I was relieved. I didn't want to be an INTJ. Yuck lol.

shoeless

I AM A WIZARD
Local time
-->
yeah, echo the sense of belonging/identity/feeling like you're not a freak thing.

otherwise... it's given me a lot to think about i suppose.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
I was relieved. I didn't want to be an INTJ. Yuck lol.
At first I was sad I wasn't an INTJ.

Not so much because of what they can actually do, but just because the first test I took used the Keirsey nick names, and the INTJ's sounded cooler.

My test results came out "INTP: The Architect", and I was like "Awe sweet" and then my friend's results came out "INTJ: The Mastermind" and I was like "What!? Why do you get to be a mastermind and I'm just a lame ass architect!?"

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->

Not so much because of what they can actually do, but just because the first test I took used the Keirsey nick names, and the INTJ's sounded cooler.

My test results came out "INTP: The Architect", and I was like "Awe sweet" and then my friend's results came out "INTJ: The Mastermind" and I was like "What!? Why do you get to be a mastermind and I'm just a lame ass architect!?"

I had almost the same reaction till I read the description, and I was like INTJ=FAIL, INTP=WIN

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
I had almost the same reaction till I read the description, and I was like INTJ=FAIL, INTP=WIN
I have no idea why you would think the INTJ is fail, but to each their own I guess.

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
I have no idea why you would think the INTJ is fail, but to each their own I guess.

I meant it more in that INTP is cooler than INTJ, not that it is actually fail, just in comparison to the awesomeness of INTP:evil:

soraya

Warn; the child forbid, take care dangerousry!
Local time
-->
Hey now I think both are pretty freaking sweet! If you ever get the chance, watch an INTJ and an INTP working together to advance something they both believe in. It's totally ballin hard-core amazing. INTP + INTJ = epic awesome.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->

Yeah right. >.> Stop flattering yourself, we all know your an INTJ. You should at least accept it. :confused:

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 10:36 PM
-->
90% of the postings in this thread give me headache.*

*figure of speech

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Yeah right. >.> Stop flattering yourself, we all know your an INTJ. You should at least accept it. :confused:
Are you serious, or are just doing your impression of me?

And in what way is that flattery?

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
Well, I wouldn't say I've found out I'm an INTP, because I'm not certain. I've tested as INTP, and at least to a moderate degree, related to the type's description. However, I'm not convinced that either means I've found out anything. If anything, I've found out just how much I don't really know myself. (heh, as if I needed a system to tell me that)

Fortunately, despite the confusion, I've become a bit more understanding of myself and others, and the whole attempt at understanding how I relate to the MBTI has renewed my desire to know who the hell I am (or if such a thing is knowable).

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Are you serious, or are just doing your impression of me?

And in what way is that flattery?
I wasn't serious but I expected confusion nonetheless. Yeah, I'm a bit affected by the "bluesquid arguments".

Flattery? well..."Mastermind" does sound great:p, though "Architect" seems like a cooler name.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
I wasn't serious but I expected confusion nonetheless. Yeah, I'm a bit affected by the "bluesquid arguments".

Flattery? well..."Mastermind" does sound great:p, though "Architect" seems like a cooler name.
Considering how I was just complaining about how Mastermind sounds way cooler than Architect, I don't see how that means I am flattering myself.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Considering how I was just complaining about how Mastermind sounds way cooler than Architect, I don't see how that means I am flattering myself.
If you were an INTJ, you were simply saying "I have a cooler title".

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
If you were an INTJ, you were simply saying "I have a cooler title".
I never claimed to be an INTJ, so could I be flattering this element of myself if I don't believe I have that element?

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Today 2:36 PM
-->
lololol, but you're the one saying he's an INTJ. So you're saying that he's saying he'd rather be what you think he actually is, but it's pretty clear he doesn't actually think he's an INTJ. And for the record, I think Adymus has established a better understanding of these personality types than you have. Also, speaking of people questioning each others actual types, did I mention I think you're an ISTP?

Now someone needs to create the thread, The Pains of Questioning You Are An INTP.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
I never claimed to be an INTJ, so could I be flattering this element of myself if I don't believe I have that element?
But if you were, you would've. It wasn't "serious mode".
lololol, but you're the one saying he's an INTJ. So you're saying that he's saying he'd rather be what you think he actually is, but it's pretty clear he doesn't actually think he's an INTJ. Speaking of people questioning each others actual types, did I mention I think you're an ISTP?
Yeah, I might be a defective ISTP. :) On second thought, I wouldn't vote for that. more likely, either ENTP or INFP.

EDIT:

First of all, I don't know what type he is nor care much really. I'm just fond of "ironies". and I thought what better to do so than create a sort of "backfire".

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Well, you weren't. Is your side "you were"?

but hypothetically speaking...

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Today 2:36 PM
-->
You told him to stop flattering himself but you believed he wasn't flattering himself? :confused:

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
You told him to stop flattering himself but you believed he wasn't flattering himself? :confused:
I think its pretty obvious he wasn't flattering himself(over a title? lol). And I thought my purpose was pretty obvious.

Luminates

Local time
-->
When I first found it, I wanted to find out as much all the info I could on my personality as well as the others. that lead to me finding out how rare INTP really is, which made me feel unique towards a lot of others. I was actually very glad and joyed when I found out.

As for It being a "boring" personality, I would have to disagree. We are known for thinking way to much and wanting to learn multiple things etc. how is that boring? the only reason it would be boring is the fact we don't like social events, that doesn't mean though its a completely boring lifestyle. I find it rather interesting and such. We do have the ability to go to social events and such, its not like were totally against it. I'm sure that most of us at least are able to talk to others and such with no problem, so if your bored then go do something else.

Hey now I think both are pretty freaking sweet! If you ever get the chance, watch an INTJ and an INTP working together to advance something they both believe in. It's totally ballin hard-core amazing. INTP + INTJ = epic awesome.

Well I couldn't agree more. :)

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->

My best friend is an INTJ, and your right, when working towards a common goal we work unbelievably well together.

At school however(in a social setting) it often gets turned into a "who is more socially awkward" boxing match, trying to show how incapable of interacting with others the other person is. For the most part, we have established that I seem to be more socially accepted, but only because I hide myself better, and if people really knew me, it's pretty likely I would be far less accepted than he.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
My best friend is an INTJ, and your right, when working towards a common goal we work unbelievably well together.

At school however(in a social setting) it often gets turned into a "who is more socially awkward" boxing match, trying to show how incapable of interacting with others the other person is. For the most part, we have established that I seem to be more socially accepted, but only because I hide myself better, and if people really knew me, it's pretty likely I would be far less accepted than he.
Ha, Fe ftw!

Yeah I actually met one of my best friends (who is an INTJ) by being randomly partnered with him to work as a group for the final project, in a group communication class I took. We made our topic for our presentation the Monomyth and the use of Archetypal motifs in all cultures. We completely knocked it out of the park, it was perfect Ti-Ne with Ni-Te synergy.

LAM

Local time
-->
Thanks to the few people who wrote anything to do about my post and didn't join the stupid and annoying feud that had something to do with INTJ discrimination or something :rogue00:

This smiley represents what you did to this thread: :hoplite_sword_kill: I hope you are proud :mad:

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm sorry man, this happens every time Cauterize replies to one of my posts, so I put all blame on him.

But realistically, when you make a thread in a forum full of INTPs, you should probably expect it to be derailed at some point.

Luminates

Local time
-->
I'm sorry man, this happens every time Cauterize replies to one of my posts, so I put all blame on him.

But realistically, when you make a thread in a forum full of INTPs, you should probably expect it to be derailed at some point.

Very true, Don't take it personal if your thread becomes irrelevant to what you meant it to be, that is the basic structure of an INTP you know :)

Trying to stay on topic or closer to it, would you be happy if you found out your closest friend or someone personal to you was also INTP?
I found out yesterday (after I forced him to take a certain test) that he is also INTP! I was very thrilled because it would explain why we get along very good. Well socially not so much, but respectively we do.

LAM

Local time
-->

I have no problem with that. Except this was derailed into something that I considered offensive and most of the posts were non-sensical and just plain stupid. (I ain't blaming anyone in particular for this, neither do I want to spend time judging who did.) Thats what I got pissed off about.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->

Indeed. I didn't feel the sense of relief or identity so many here seem to have. I saw my result as a guide to better understand, accept, and improve myself. I've never understood the need to find an identity. I know who I am. Now I just have to work on accepting my faults and finding ways of making myself better.

Edit: Somebody once told me that it's our national sport on the INTPforum to derail. If it really bothers you contact an Admin.

LAM

Local time
-->
Indeed. I didn't feel the sense of relief or identity so many here seem to have. I saw my result as a guide to better understand, accept, and improve myself. I've never understood the need to find an identity. I know who I am. Now I just have to work on accepting my faults and finding ways of making myself better.

Edit: Somebody once told me that it's our national sport on the INTPforum to derail. If it really bothers you contact an Admin.

I was only pissed off for a short amount of time. I rarely get pissed off anyways, and only in small amounts :)

Geminii

Consultant, inventor, project innovator
Local time
Tomorrow 4:36 AM
-->
I was sure for years that I was an INTJ, and only slowly came to realise over time that I'm mostly in the INTP mindset - but when taking tests (like the MBTI), I narrowed my focus and flipped to J.

I do like being P most of the time. It's restful. Drifty. And then every so often I have to go "argh!" and do some solid J hours to rip through whatever mundane stuff's built up.

soraya

Warn; the child forbid, take care dangerousry!
Local time
-->
Thanks to the few people who wrote anything to do about my post and didn't join the stupid and annoying feud that had something to do with INTJ discrimination or something :rogue00:
:mad:

It's so funny because, being one myself, an INTJ wouldn't care if they were discriminated against in the first place. But, having said that, people have said some seriously nasty shit to INTJs on the forum that needs to end, which is why I wrote on that thread. NEVER saw it in this thread though so I don't know why people are saying that it is here and you, LAM, certainly didn't do it at all so just ignore the bullshit.

Getting back to the point of the thread. Glad it seems to help you all, I know finding out I was INTJ was a big help to me too. It helped me not to be sad when people said 'you are a rational emotionless bitch,' or 'you have no empathy' because I knew why it was appearing that I was that way and I was able to explain it to them. It seems that INTPs also experience that 'otherness' and MBTI can help us to realize why we are not the 'standard' and that it is ok to be how we are.

truthseeker72

Local time
-->
My INTP self-discovery allowed me to accept my scatter-brained nature and emotional repression. I realized that with every strength (intuition and intellect) comes a weakness (poor sensory skills and lack of emotional expression)

Hengeo

No special title
Local time
Today 11:36 PM
-->

Couldn't agree more ;)

Top Bottom