• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Hip-hop Thread.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
Today 5:32 AM
-->
I've been asked a few occasions about the type of hip-hop I listen to - not often, but I think the fact that I listen to it is sort of an enigma around here. So, I've decided to make a thread talking about and showcasing some of my favorite artists. When I first decided to make this thread, I was going to go by sub-genre's of hip-hop, but when I thought about it, it's difficult to pinpoint a single sub-genre for one artist because in hip-hop (as I'm sure in other music) the style an artist utilizes evolves over time. I think, especially with independent hip-hop, the music comes from an individual who can mold his or her style to their changing feelings and dispositions. So, I've decided I will go by artist and showcase some of my favorites (bear in mind this list is no where near exhaustive).

----------------------

Aesop Rock:
Aesop Rock is probably the first independent emcee I got into, and I've followed his work ever since. His style is very abstract/subjective, and when listening to it it can often sound like gibberish, because he uses words, concepts, and imagery with loose associations and relatively obscure references.

His first two albums ("Music for Earthworms" and "Appleseed") are pretty much impossible to find. I only own them as files on my computer because Madoness directed me to a website where I could download them. Here are some songs from these two albums:

His third album ("Float") is probably my favorite of his:

His fourth Album ("Labor Days") and fifth album ("Daylight") were his first on the label Def Jux (where he still is) and is the one that made him 'popular' (in the underground/independent scene):

His sixth Album ("Bazooka Tooth") had some strange/creative beats that took me a while to warm up to when I first got the album, but I've since fallen in love with them:

His seventh Album ("Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives") is a short, eight track album. But, it has one of my favorite songs (Holy Smokes):

His eighth and latest album ("None Shall Pass") certainly goes with the trend in independent hip-hop of using live instrumentation in some songs. If you listen to this and then something from "Earthworms" or "Float" you can really tell how much his style has evolved:

Eyedea and Abilities:
Emcee Eyedea and DJ Abilities probably evolved the most over their short career (R.I.P. Eyedea). Eyedea became known as a freestyle battle rapper, and when his first album dropped ("First Born"), it was very heady, metaphysical, and conscious style. The second album (Eyedea sans Abilities "The Many Faces of Oliver Hart") was also philosophical, but it was closer to the philosophy of the cynics and less about metaphysics, having a commentary on society. The third Album ("E&A" with Abilities again) was much less philosophical (although it still maintained that style) and more clever, braggadocio battle rap style - but, it's probably some of the best beats that Abilities has made. In 2007, Eyedea released a grungy/alternative rock album ("The Some of All Things or: The Healing Power of Scab Picking") with his band Carbon Carousel. It was quite a while before Eyedea and Abilities released another rap album ("By the Throat") which I can only describe as grunge rock (it has a lot of angst and even some 'emo' vibes to it). Eyedea died October 16, 2010 from a drug overdose.

First Born:

Oliver Hart:

E&A:

Carbon Carousel:

By the Throat:

Atmosphere:
Atmosphere is the emcee Slug and producer Ant. Their style has remained relatively consistent over time, having a very down-to-earth, conscious rap style. He talks a lot about the trials and tribulations of life (with a definite leaning toward those living in the working class). The first album "Overcast!" was a lot more lyrical based (but still very much conscious rap), and everything after that has been a lot more content based (not heavy on clever punchlines, but more like storytelling and conceptual).

Overcast!:

God Loves Ugly:

Sevens Travels:

You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having:

When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold:

I haven't had a chance to pick up Atmosphere's newest album "The Family Sign" yet so I'll reserve judgment on that one.

Wu-Tang Clan:
I don't listen to much new stuff by Wu-Tang Clan anymore (nothing after "The W" really) but they are pretty much the people that got me into hip-hop in the first place, and in my mind are the pinnacle of 90's hip-hop. So, I almost feel obligated to showcase them.

36 Chambers:

Forever:

The W:

Each of the ten members of the Wu-Tang Clan also have solo albums, and there are too many to go through. I will say that some of my favorites from the group are GZA's albums, Method Man's albums, Raekwon's first album, ODB's first album, and RZA's albums.

Doomtree:
Doomtree is actually a label, with the artists P.O.S., Cecil Otter, Sims, Dessa, and more. However, I've only just gotten into these artists within the past 6~ months, so I haven't had a chance to listen to all of their material. So, this is going to be sort of a 'best of' (in my opinion) showcase.

P.O.S.:

Cecil Otter:

Sims:

Dessa:

El-P
He's the founder of the label Def Jux (the label Aesop Rock is on) with two albums on his label. Even though he doesn't have much solo work out, he's collaborated with a lot of other artists (he's featured on a lot of the artists on his label) and he does a lot of producing. He does a lot of science fiction undertones in his music, and generally has a dystopian feel to it (he even references Orwell's "1984" on several occasions). His first album ("Fantastic Damage") definitely shines in the beat department, but El-P greatly improved his flow by the second album ("I'll Sleep When You're Dead") which also features some amazing beats.

Fantastic Damage:

I'll Sleep When You're Dead:

Miscellaneous:

I may add more later if I'm not lazy.

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 12:32 PM
-->
When I was reading your information about Atmosphere, whom
I enjoy, I read emcee as "emace" four times before realizing I
read it wrong. I was like "emace!?!", wtf.

Now, I am interested in why you started this thread. You said
because you have been asked on a few occasions about
hip hop but I get the feeling it was because you just wanted
to make a thread.
What happened today to spur you to do this?

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
Now, I am interested in why you started this thread. You said
because you have been asked on a few occasions about
hip hop but I get the feeling it was because you just wanted
to make a thread.
What happened today to spur you to do this?

I must have wanted to make it, because it took me like an hour and a half to do it. I guess the proverbial straw was this.

Plus, who doesn't like talking about themselves?

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 12:32 PM
-->
I just wanted you to admit that you made the thread
purely for selfish reasons.

That's all (:

Thank you for being reasonable and honest.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Today 2:32 AM
-->
Yeah, I bugged the shit out of 'im.

Thanks again AI.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
Today 9:33 AM
-->
As much as I hate to admit it, a lot of this stuff isn't bad.
Disregarding my taste in music, my preconceptions were that hip-hip in generally is poor musically, but this stuff here is made by fairly skilled people.

On another note, I've always liked a lot of Gorillaz stuff

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
I'm only about halfway through the list but I'm loving it so far. Many of the songs are only the first 2 minutes or so. I go "oh" sadly whenever a song ends mid-line but I've already got a list of stuff to go download. :D

Birth of a Fish and The Drive are awesome. I'm really liking all of the E&A stuff.

As for the "musical validity" of hip-hop: I think a lot of people just don't recognize a gifted wordsmith. It's not just making up words or flinging things together that sound good. It's like poetry but with the added benefit of having a musical backdrop to infuse the lyrics with emotion and additional meaning. Besides, the beats grab me by the butt and march me around. How can I not love that?

I wonder if a lot of people balk at hip-hop and rap in general because of the perceived lack of polish and sophistication? I suppose there's an intimidating culture you have to grapple with in order to really get into hip-hop. I think it's fascinating to be able to analyze a culture just by listening to music.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 2:33 AM
-->
:D This might be my favorite thread on this forum.

We can all contribute right? I have no problem adding summaries too.

Aesop Rock:
Aesop Rock is probably the first independent emcee I got into, and I've followed his work ever since. His style is very abstract/subjective, and when listening to it it can often sound like gibberish, because he uses words, concepts, and imagery with loose associations and relatively obscure references.

His first two albums ("Music for Earthworms" and "Appleseed") are pretty much impossible to find. I only own them as files on my computer because Madoness directed me to a website where I could download them. Here are some songs from these two albums:

His third album ("Float") is probably my favorite of his:

His fourth Album ("Labor Days") and fifth album ("Daylight") were his first on the label Def Jux (where he still is) and is the one that made him 'popular' (in the underground/independent scene):

His sixth Album ("Bazooka Tooth") had some strange/creative beats that took me a while to warm up to when I first got the album, but I've since fallen in love with them:

His seventh Album ("Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives") is a short, eight track album. But, it has one of my favorite songs (Holy Smokes):

His eighth and latest album ("None Shall Pass") certainly goes with the trend in independent hip-hop of using live instrumentation in some songs. If you listen to this and then something from "Earthworms" or "Float" you can really tell how much his style has evolved:

Cannibal Ox:

I may add more later if I'm not lazy.

Cannibal Ox is the greatest Hip Hop group of all time and The Cold Vein is the greatest album of all time. I got that shit on vinyl.

If you're lucky enough to love Aesop's style, you have tons of listening material to go through. He's the most consistent in my opinion.

When I was reading your information about Atmosphere, whom
I enjoy
, I read emcee as "emace" four times before realizing I
read it wrong. I was like "emace!?!", wtf.
icon14.gif

I'll return and throw up some artists.

Philosophyking87

It Thinks For Itself
Local time
Today 4:33 AM
-->
Out of your list, I really enjoy Immortal Technique (and few songs from Wu-Tang).
Never really heard the others, but glad you at least enjoy Immortal Technique. Dance With the Devil is a very nice song.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
I'm only about halfway through the list but I'm loving it so far. Many of the songs are only the first 2 minutes or so. I go "oh" sadly whenever a song ends mid-line but I've already got a list of stuff to go download. :D

Birth of a Fish and The Drive are awesome. I'm really liking all of the E&A stuff.

I figured if any rap could be considered "INTP style rap" it would be Eyedea and Abilities. I've always pegged Eyedea as probably being an ENTP (both from his music and articles I've read).

As much as I hate to admit it, a lot of this stuff isn't bad.
Disregarding my taste in music, my preconceptions were that hip-hip in generally is poor musically, but this stuff here is made by fairly skilled people.

As for the "musical validity" of hip-hop: I think a lot of people just don't recognize a gifted wordsmith. It's not just making up words or flinging things together that sound good. It's like poetry but with the added benefit of having a musical backdrop to infuse the lyrics with emotion and additional meaning. Besides, the beats grab me by the butt and march me around. How can I not love that?

I wonder if a lot of people balk at hip-hop and rap in general because of the perceived lack of polish and sophistication? I suppose there's an intimidating culture you have to grapple with in order to really get into hip-hop. I think it's fascinating to be able to analyze a culture just by listening to music.

I think one of the problems with hip-hop is the exposure people get to it. Mainstream hip-hop is probably some of the worst music being produced right now, and when people hear that they assume all hip-hop is like that.

Slug (of Atmosphere) once said in an interview that independent/underground hip hop fans are more like true fans because to find that type of music, one has to actively go looking for it. With mainstream music, we're always getting that shoved down our throats, so it's always there, making you aware of it's existence. Aesop Rock and Atmosphere are the only indie rappers that I ever found out about by word of mouth, pretty much all the other ones I had to go digging for.

:D This might be my favorite thread on this forum.

We can all contribute right? I have no problem adding summaries too.

Certainly. I would rather keep this more condensed, though - eg, not posting one song per reply as in the "what are you listening to" threads (this isn't a "what are you listening to" type thread, but a "what do you like" type thread).

Cannibal Ox is the greatest Hip Hop group of all time and The Cold Vein is the greatest album of all time. I got that shit on vinyl.

If you're lucky enough to love Aesop's style, you have tons of listening material to go through. He's the most consistent in my opinion.

Too bad Cannibal Ox left Def Jux. After hearing Vast Aire's solo albums, I would have to say that they need El-P as a producer to have the same chemistry that Cold Vein had.

Out of your list, I really enjoy Immortal Technique (and few songs from Wu-Tang).
Never really heard the others, but glad you at least enjoy Immortal Technique. Dance With the Devil is a very nice song.

I've only fairly recently "discovered" Immortal Technique, hence why he didn't get his own showcase.

I recommend checking out the other artists too - especially Eyedea and Abilities.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:33 PM
-->

Lots of fervent agreeing. It can be so incredibly creative, and so compelling - beat/rhythm helps a lot with that, but maybe people don't want to feel driven by a beat because it's too 'primal'/base (although that's hard to avoid in a lot of modern/mainstream music, so it's probably just the baseness of mainstream lyrics that they're opposed to).

What about...dubstep? I know very little about most music but I feel (not think, it's not anywhere near as clear as that) there's a similar creativity in the driving force, but with greater emphasis on the beat and the sound/texture/I might not know what I'm talking about. That stuff really hits me. It's like very focused play, sort of how life feels it should be (as opposed to representations of how life actually is, which is what a lot of music is about imo).

Anyway this is off-topic so no need to reply unless it's worththile/gets on topic somehow.

*edit
The agreement was more about the level of artistry in fitting meaningful words together - poetry (and then going a step further and twisting it around interesting rhythms). A lot of people aren't really into poetry though. (Anecdotal.)

Panopticon

mehmber
Local time
-->
I listen to some Gangstarr , KRS-ONE, Immortal Technique, Wu Tang, Jedi Mind Tricks, Necro, Ill Bill, Brother Ali, Sage Francis, Black Star(Talib Kwali and Mos Def)

I was a heavy metal/hard rock kid growing up and I never had much respect for hip hop, mainly because the mainstream hip hop was all shit. It was lyrical ego trips and self glorification with no substance. Eventually I came around to the real Hip Hop and I cant think of another form of music that inspires me more at the moment.

EDIT: I had the privilege of seeing a few of these artists on April 2nd at a Paid Dues festival. Immortal Technique was real enough to end his set by walking through the crowd and offered to meet and greet all his fans at his booth. I got to shake his hand and had my ticket signed. After that experience I am convinced he is an ENTP or maybe even one of our own.

I had never heard of Sage Francis but after watching him perform I have no doubt in my mind that fat burly white guy is indeed an INTP. It left an impression on me.

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
Today 3:33 AM
-->
Main two Hip Hop artists I've liked are Deltron 3030 (Also, del the funky homo-sapien, same guy in the Gorillaz album)
See:
YouTube - Deltron 3030 - Mastermind
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r2X94iBbg

As well as RJD2, which is sort of an electronic/hip hop crossover. I think a lot of people would argue that RJD2 isn't really hip-hop, because it often doesn't have lyrics, just a particular beat, but the beat is more hip-hop oriented, at least from what I understand of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abeUTN9OB8I

Kind of like the lyrics in this song:
(Jump to about 00:52 if you're impatient :P)
YouTube - Mc Lars Rapgirl with lyrics

I agree a lot with what Cheese was getting at. I'm a big fan of the musical experience in general, lyrics set aside (though not necessarily vocals set aside, which is an important distinction to me :P) I often have people argue this with me, which is kind of absurd, because all I have to do is mention "Classical Music." and any argument they have pretty much becomes null.

On a related note, nerdcore is awesome :D

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
Today 3:33 AM
-->
I think one of the problems with hip-hop is the exposure people get to it. Mainstream hip-hop is probably some of the worst music being produced right now, and when people hear that they assume all hip-hop is like that.

Slug (of Atmosphere) once said in an interview that independent/underground hip hop fans are more like true fans because to find that type of music, one has to actively go looking for it. With mainstream music, we're always getting that shoved down our throats, so it's always there, making you aware of it's existence. Aesop Rock and Atmosphere are the only indie rappers that I ever found out about by word of mouth, pretty much all the other ones I had to go digging for.

A lot of good stuff there, completely agree. I've always personally classified "Rap" as being the main stream crap, and "Hip Hop" being more the underground stuff that actually has a beat and good lyrics, but I don't know how widely accepted that distinction is :P

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:33 PM
-->
I listen to some Gangstarr , KRS-ONE, Immortal Technique, Wu Tang, Jedi Mind Tricks, Necro, Ill Bill, Brother Ali, Sage Francis, Black Star(Talib Kwali and Mos Def)

I was a heavy metal/hard rock kid growing up and I never had much respect for hip hop, mainly because the mainstream hip hop was all shit. It was lyrical ego trips and self glorification with no substance. Eventually I came around to the real Hip Hop and I cant think of another form of music that inspires me more at the moment.

EDIT: I had the privilege of seeing a few of these artists on April 2nd at a Paid Dues festival. Immortal Technique was real enough to end his set by walking through the crowd and offered to meet and greet all his fans at his booth. I got to shake his hand and had my ticket signed. After that experience I am convinced he is an ENTP or maybe even one of our own.

I had never heard of Sage Francis but after watching him perform I have no doubt in my mind that fat burly white guy is indeed an INTP. It left an impression on me.

Yeah I've been a metal-head for awhile. I should probably give the real hip-hop a chance, since mainstream hip-hop suxxx.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
J Dilla aka Jay Dee

[bimgx=250]http://i.imgur.com/d5s0l.jpg[/bimgx]

The late, great J Dilla. I was first introduced to his works through Tony Hawk's Project 8, the song was "The Red". Dilla, among a few centralized others, is largely responsible for my descent into the underground. I found him to be one of the greatest Hip Hop producers(although not the greatest lyricist), frequently sampling Soul music to craft his unique sound. Detroit Hip Hop, music to ride to, Soul-Hop, raw underground, whatever you want to call it, words don't do the sound justice. Dilla passed away in 06 after going into cardiac arrest, he had been battling TTP for years prior; up until his death day, on his hospital bed, he diligently worked on completing his final album, Donuts. For all the prolific artists he has produced for, and all the self-released material, I think it's a shame he is still largely unknown to and unappreciated by the masses.

Donuts
His magnus opus, some would say. An instrumental album full of soulful compositions and meaningful samples, Donuts is an assortment of..well, donuts. The delicious musical kind that only Dilla could make. The album was released only three days before his death, on his birthday, actually.

YouTube - J Dilla - Workinonit (Video) by Cassette King
YouTube - Time, The Donut of the Heart
YouTube - J Dilla Lightworks
YouTube - J Dilla - Last Donut of the Night

Ruff Draft EP
I enjoy this album mostly for its atmosphere. It isn't readily identifiable, but some tracks that highlight it are "Nothing Like This" and "Wild". Actually that atmosphere may just be my attachment to it, there are some associations between this album and my high school years.

YouTube - Jay Dee - The Money
YouTube - J Dilla - Nothing Like This
YouTube - J Dilla - Wild
YouTube - J DILLA - TAKE NOTICE feat. GUILTY SIMPSON

The Shining
A Hip Hop-Soul project that was never officially completed. Contains some good tracks, and appearances by other artists, but "Won't Do" is the essential of them all.

YouTube - J Dilla - "Won't Do"

Champion Sound (as Jaylib)
This album contains the two tracks I first loved by Dilla, "The Red" and "Starz", although Madlib is the rapper on both, Dilla produced them. Dilla produced Madlib's rapping tracks and Madlib produced Dilla's rapping tracks. This album was a coming together of two of the most prodigal producers in Hip Hop.

YouTube - Jaylib - The Red
YouTube - Jaylib - Starz

Company Flow

company-flow.jpg

Hailing from the East Coast, it's The Krazy Kings of abstract braggadocio themselves. Company Flow was an innovative group formed by El-P (of Def Jux), Mr. Len the DJ, and Bigg Jus that spearheaded the underground resurgence after the heavy commercialization of Hip hop in the mid 90s. No Hip Hop group in the 90s compared to these guys when it came to free-flowing, multi-syllabic rhymes full of obscure references, intricate metaphors, and creative word play, and a dense, relentless atmosphere to fully capture the cultural attitude at that time. Themes range from braggadocio, to abstract, to mainstream sell outs, to social awareness that touches on abuse and political conspiracies. They only released one full lyrical album before disbanding.

Funcrusher Plus

Little Johnny From the Hospitul

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:33 PM
-->

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
My very first introduction to hip-hop is Canibus which I think is the same for a lot of people.

I heard a DJ Hazu remix of Canibus's Indibisible a long time ago. I loved it. Though I think it's kind of simple and falls into the braggadacio category AI was talking about.

DJ Hazu also did a remix of No Return that I thought was awesome but I can't find a good example of it anywhere save the mp3 I found years ago on an anime site of all places. I suppose it makes sense since DJ Hazu is a Japanese hip hop artist. He's half of the duo that made up Illmariachi.

I'd love to get my hands of some of their stuff but I've had no luck finding it anywhere. If anybody knows where I can find it let me know!

Panopticon

mehmber
Local time
-->
Thats awesome!!!
finally coming out of my NITND depression(which was beautiful all the way through). I dont think I have ever played an album so often in such a little time. Its great to know that Katatonia and Shitty live on opposite ends of the world. :)

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 7:03 PM
-->
Hmmm... I listened to butterfingers when I was 14 because I liked their sound and thought the lyrics were hilarious (being 14). I haven't listened to any hiphop since but today I was listening to a friends mp3 and sage francis "escape artist" came on, I was really fucking impressed. I have been raging on hiphop for years (being a metal lover among hiphop lovers), and this is probly the first decent rap/hiphop I've heard. Then this thread was here, so I commented because I was compelled by coincidence.

Awaken

Gone for good
Local time
-->
Classic Rap albums IMO:

Jay Z- Reasonable Doubt
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd4YFc83nbI&feature=related"]Jay-Z Reasonable Doubt track #13. Bring it On - YouTube[/nomedia]

Biggie- Ready to Die
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4M8GjgfG9k&feature=related"]Biggie Smalls - Suicidal Thoughts (Original) - YouTube[/nomedia]

Biggie- LAD
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYb_8MM1tGQ&feature=related"]Biggie Smalls - Ten Crack Commandments - YouTube[/nomedia]

Mobb Deep- The Infamous
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbCcPFLftUQ&feature=fvst"]Mobb Deep - Drink Away The Pain (Situations) - YouTube[/nomedia]

Nas- It Was Written
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWNh2D8FQFM"]Nas - It Was Written - I Gave You Power - YouTube[/nomedia]

Wu Tang Clan- 36 Chambers
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e69laCvKxEw&feature=related"]Wu-Tang Clan-C.R.E.A.M. - YouTube[/nomedia]

RaeKwon-Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yd5isGcUBY&feature=related"]Raekwon - Incarcerated Scarfaces - YouTube[/nomedia]

OutKast- ATLiens
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG6seogAnFo&feature=BFa&list=PLB8FE03972B30FC86&lf=results_main"]Outkast - Millenium - YouTube[/nomedia]

DMX- It's Dark and Hell is Hot
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS26TFyGu9Q"]DMX - Niggaz Done Started Something feat. The LOX & Mase - YouTube[/nomedia]

Tupac- All Eyez On Me
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05PCmqjIeNE"]2pac-Tupac All Eyez On Me - YouTube[/nomedia]

The Roots- Illadelph Half Life
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTuNhzO8eLc&feature=related"]The Roots- No Alibi - YouTube[/nomedia]

Bone Thugz N Harmony- E 1999 Eternal
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIyP5qVz7AI&feature=related"]bone thugs-n-harmony - Crept And We Came - E 1999 Eternal - YouTube[/nomedia]

Mos Def- Black on Both Sides
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-y-lS0YqF0"]Mos Def: Ms Fat Booty - Black On Both Sides - YouTube[/nomedia]

One of the only worthwile things done in mainstream hiphop since the 90's:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg5wkZ-dJXA"]Kanye West - Runaway (Full-length Film) - YouTube[/nomedia]

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->

Jay-Z and Kanye West are 100%+ aweful. They are a mockery of what hip-hop is. One must look at underground/indie stuff to find good hip hop music (God, I probably sound like a hipster).

Awaken

Gone for good
Local time
-->
Jay-Z and Kanye West are 100%+ aweful. They are a mockery of what hip-hop is. One must look at underground/indie stuff to find good hip hop music (God, I probably sound like a hipster).

Nowadays perhaps. Old JayZ was one of the greatest. New JayZ is terrible. Note I did not put down a new JayZ album. Say all you want about Kanye, but at least he tried to bring something artistic and new to mainstream Rap. Also to note, I qualified my statement with "done in mainstream...".

awful

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
You make a compelling argument.
Don't mind this guy. :rolleyes:

Anyways, old Kanye rapping:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQjpUpgPxNo"]Grav - 8 Line For Line - YouTube[/nomedia]

He produced several tracks for Grav's 1996 Down to Earth album. It's pretty dope. Check it out:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11oTJvo62aE&list=PLF795117061C5F93C&feature=plpp_play_all"]Grav - 1 Intro - YouTube[/nomedia] (playlist)

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->

Don't mind me

Local time
Today 11:33 AM
-->
Touche.

At least I didn't make the statement that my opinion was "objectively". This is simply my opinion.

Yeah. It's just that the fact that you seemed to consider the Weezy parody you posted accurate, actually made a blatant blanket statement about mainstream hip-hop and (most incomprehensible of all) called West 100% awful as if you were completely unaware of his work as a producer seemed to indicate that you in fact don't listen to music, but just skim through it (no, the irony is not lost).

But sure, I guess interpreting Pusha-T's verse from Runaway as disgusting mainstream braggadocio works too.

Don't mind this guy. :rolleyes:

Please, don't mind me if you prefer to not. The name really is a serious offer, it makes me feel somewhat more justified in posting my opinions.

soupymess

kick trees
Local time
-->
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTyQfABqwdo"]Nas - One love - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOX_tFWOklE"]OooH- De La Soul w/Lyrics - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8JImSuZ9j4"]Jay Z - Anything - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R0iViFNpic"]wu-tang clan - chrome wheels - YouTube[/nomedia]

;'D

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned MF DOOM (or I guess he just goes by DOOM now). Probably one of the most talented lyricists I have ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCB8xg7J4PE

My favorite stuff is off Operation Doomsday and Take Me To Your Leader(King Geedorah), the early KMD tracks are cool too. Didn't really like his latest solo album.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
How can you listen to that shit? :eek:

With speakers or headphones, how else?

SbocV.gif
gT342.gif

But seriously, music ignorance is what I expect from youtube commenters, come on now.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Music ignorance or refusal to listen to the music that I don't like? I can't find anything that appeals to me in any of the songs I've tried. :evil:

You said "how can you listen to that shit" not "how can I listen to that shit."

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Well I have never imagined INTPs listening to Hip-Hop, it appears to me as more... S-ish music. ST perhaps. But of course that's over-typing.

Lol, and what is INTP music? :p

Music isn't listened to in a single way, to say that's xxxx music is too monist. If you were going by the stereotypical definition of the functions you could just say all music is Se because it stimulates the senses.

My only exposure to hip-hop in the past has been in the mainstream, which I'm not a fan of, but I've been listening to Aesop Rock and Cannibal Ox the last few days and I quite like them.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Bump. This thread needs more love.

Omni

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:33 AM
-->
Anyone fucking with the new Earl Sweatshirt album?

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Today 11:33 AM
-->
Lately I´ve refound P.O.S.
p.o.s. - locks-pick, knives, bricks
p.o.s. - drumroll
p.o.s. - half cocked concepts
p.o.s. - get down <- one of the best music videos ever:)
P.O.S - Weird Friends (We Don't Even Live Here) feat. HOUSEMEISTER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_3Y7Eo_T90
Oh and one that I can right now really relate to.
P.O.S - Never Better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPCcf4XNeOg

P.O.S. seems to be doing a variety of hip hop music, influenced by many styles - punk music, electronic. Like chaos, like I'm feeling.

Top Bottom