• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

The dominance of humans

dl006

Redshirt
Local time
Today, 10:41
So I'm looking through reddit and see an article reporting that in the year of 2014, 7 people were killed by sharks in the whole world. As for sharks an estimated 63 MILLION to 273 MILLION were killed by human's in 2014. Which blows my mind, we live in fear of deep water cause of these cartilaginous fish that we slaughter by the millions. And animal activists are here tripping about the deaths of an approximated 2.7 million cats and dogs a year. Not to under mind the gravity of these mammals deaths, but 2.7 million to even the 63 million seems like one should have more attention than the other, but nobody see's any "save the sharks" or a "For every $1 you donate one shark can be saved" fundraisers. Is it just because we see sharks as ugly and scary, sure the don't look like the cuddling type but lord have mercy aesthetics rule the world (side track sorry)! Or is it just because humans can really get away with mass murder and the one that makes the best sob story is the one that gets shamed and all the attention. #sharks havefamiliestoo

Man really has nothing to fear in this world except for huge natural disasters and viruses/bacteria. We've basically conquered everything else. And what we don't feel we have a need for we ignore, block off, level, or devalue. We are also driven by this same fear because our fellow man over exaggerates these fears and reasons to fear whatever makes the most money or will bring the most attention. For example in the United States all media shows are the most tragic or un-agreeable actions or events, "Young black male shot by police for no reason," or "Local politician caught sending dick pictures to mistress." It's not just what they say it's how they say it. " Young black male shot by police for no reason." Really??? there was no reason? I believe every action has a initiator. The excuse "I don't know," or "i didn't have a choice," is bullshit. Going back to the police shooting example, the media portrays this as a malicious murder on the police's hands of an innocent bystander targeted for his racial classification. And sure it might have been that, it could also been millions of other reasons but they don't want to reveal that, that doesn't sell the best story for people. What really gets people attention is the drama! The drama that makes you stop what your doing and focus attention on the screen cause of the appalling news you just heard. The saddest, cruelest, unjust stories are the best ones, then comes a random cute ass kitten being featured at the end of the hour as like a "well have a nice day, here is a cute ass cat!" What the actual fuck! Who the hell is approving this??? Why are we allowing this to prosper. Human's are even dominating the weak minded that conform with the majority. This started with sharks mass murder and now ends with media but my point is we are giving too much power away to one group of people. Human's are the dominate force of this world but with power comes responsibility. There is a global responsibility and then there is individual responsibility (which I personally perceive to be the most important). It is imperative for us to get our shit together if we want the earth to live in a functional way and for society to be just and functional. Take your power back today, the next choice to need to make, stop and think, "why" or "who" (if there is a who) "am I doing this for". And "will the choice I make be in alignment with who I believe I am?"

-Dlo

QuickTwist

Alive - Born Anew
Local time
Today, 12:41
  1. To explain why humans are so dominant, we are predatory creatures and we are dominant because of our ability to use tools better than anything else alive on the earth. There is a similarity that both the media and the police have in common. That is the differentiation of white and black skinned people. By and large this is the major source of conflict here. Humans are predisposed to judge things based on extreme prejudice. It's part of the reason we are so dominant in the first place. Reason for this is that with prejudice, comes the ability to categorize very proficiently, which causes us to be able to plan. This is essentially what the executive functioning in the brain is for and is one of the main differences between human and animals.
  2. There is a very good reason we fear sharks and I'd guess it goes back to when we were apes in that the instilled fear people get from sharks probably stems from sharks being a competitor to our dominance (after all they have been around a lot longer than we have), they look similar to a snake (which we fear snakes because we evolved along snakes and they have been a threat to us), and they fit the paradigm of the unknown because they live in the sea - the deep unknown (anything that we are unsure of puts us in a certain state of contemplating whether we should fight or flee. It's more complicated than that, but you get the picture).
  3. You are basically doing the same thing as what you are accusing the media of, namely, the dramatization of a picture of life. Where is the focus on what we should be doing instead? You've basically said "this terrible thing is happening" which is exactly what your problem with the media is and you haven't offered a solution to how to go about fixing this. Reason for that is probably because it's simply impossible to fix!
  4. These instincts are ingrained in us and go so far deep in our psyche that IDK if anyone can explain everything about our primordial subconscious. There is so much in our subconscious that we don't even realize why we are motivated the way we are. It's human nature. For fun, Charles Darwin use to put his face in front of some glass in front of a snake to see if when the snake stuck at him if he could control his impulse not to flinch.. He couldn't.

QuickTwist

Alive - Born Anew
Local time
Today, 12:41
The actual reason we are killing so many sharks is to eat them not fear them.

http://ocean.si.edu/ocean-news/shark-finning-sharks-turned-prey

Sharkfin soup looks like a tasty oriental dish.]
The only problem I have with this is that it doesn't actually say how many sharks are killed from finning. The numbers they gave were by and large way less than the 100 million of sharks that die due to what they admit to being multiple factors.

I feel this article is the type of thing to pull on your heartstrings so that you feel bad for the animal. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but why don't they talk about the other 90 million sharks that are killed each year? I think it is because shark finning is viewed as an act of cruelty rather than anything else.

Cognisant

Condescending Bastard
Local time
Today, 07:41
I'm told shark fin soup is actually quite bland but it's valued as something prestigious, you don't eat shark fin soup to enjoy the soup itself you eat it to show that you can afford shark fin soup.

The Chinese are spending lots of money on things like this and receiving much condemnation from western cultures for it, but they're quick to reply that they only got their money by making the cheap disposable crap we westerners have been enjoying for decades now.

dl006

Redshirt
Local time
Today, 10:41
You are missing the point here, like I stated at the end of my article (if we should even call it that more like rant), I see this as an issue of giving away and allowing them to use that power to feed a lot of in reality useless information.

"This started with sharks mass murder and now ends with media but my point is we are giving too much power away to one group of people. Human's are the dominate force of this world but with power comes responsibility. There is a global responsibility and then there is individual responsibility (which I personally perceive to be the most important). It is imperative for us to get our shit together if we want the earth to live in a functional way and for society to be just and functional. Take your power back today, the next choice to need to make, stop and think, "why" or "who" (if there is a who) "am I doing this for". And 'will the choice I make be in alignment with who I believe I am?'"

The reason I started this with the sharks is because that information got me thinking of two things, "Wow we are wrecking sharks and bitching about sharks being this huge threat to us, even though we are in their territory" and "Holy shit the way this shark article was worded and even the relation of shark to man is a reflection of the layman and the people at the top of America deciding 'what is hot,' 'what does sexy look like,' 'what you should be scared of.'" I wrote this not for you sympathy for sharks, but to have a conversation about how we are allowing others to have too much power. Man for obvious reasons is the dominate power of the world, but now we've moved from dominating and controlling nature to dominating and controlling each other. And as members of this race we should not allow a select few to control what the masses of our people are exposed to. We've gone down this slippery slop for so long we've even started to believe that there are groups of people who are hopelessly oppressed. But in reality i see it as a problem of everyone allowing the oppressors to oppress. I think if we questioned and even challenged more in efficient and organised ways with the sole purpose of exposing an unbiased, factual truth, we got start a change. But to get on a more personal scale, I believe as individuals we need to do this in the daily atmosphere. Even the way we tell the story of how our last relation ends, when telling the story how are you telling it? Are you saying things in a way that make you look like the victim of a heartless person, or are you painting him or her as the saint that you lost due to "X" reason. Maybe the best way is to tell it in a way that shares her perspective and yours where neither are the victims and you just had an experience that you both could learn from and move forward with respect of one another. Even just calling out your coworker for whenever they tell a story in a manipulative way where there is two side this or that.

Also shout out to QuickTwist for your feedback and to the rest of yall giving feedback/ responses.

Local time
Today, 11:41
When I feel powerless I take my medications which turn me into an overpowered superman ubermensch, God.

Actually, they don't. They just keep me stable. And not even completely stable. I know it is important to take back control from whatever it is that took it away but sometimes nothing took it away. Life is just how it is and something happened in the past or you don't know what to do. Or you are just a little kid. Sure we can influence things the best we can but if life matters to us we should be able to be stable and we should have things to do. fun things to do. Because sitting in your room at 4 PM crying because its Sunday and you have nothing to do till school tomorrow is not fun. Cartoons are over and not much to do but sit in bed. Life feels meaningless what it's like that. Things are not so bad now. Stability is about 90 percent. And things to do. Control is just hope that life matters because we can make life do what we want it to do. So very little control for me. Not to detract from others. I wish you well. I hope you can make life do what you want it to do. Maybe by random chance, this will happen for me.

Top Bottom